View Poll Results: FP PREDICTS: Which side do you think will win the EU referendum?

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain win, with 52% or more of the vote

544 48.83%
  • Remain win, with less than 52% of the vote

260 23.34%
  • Leave win, with less than 52% of the vote

107 9.61%
  • Leave win, with 52% or more of the vote

80 7.18%
  • Don't know

123 11.04%
  1. Post #1081
    HEY GUYS, DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S A NEW STEAMGROUP FOR PLAYING HALF-LIFE 1 AND 2 DEATHMATCH WITH OTHER FACEPUNCHERS?? WE USUALLY PLAY GAMES A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK AND IF YOU JOIN OUR STEAM GROUP WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN WE'RE PLAYING!! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!
    Dennab
    April 2007
    10,941 Posts
    A referendum is surprisingly undemocratic.

I vote for representatives to represent me because I don't have the time or the money or the ability to be knowledgeable about major issues. I trust that those representatives take the time to become knowledgeable about certain issues. If they're negotiating a trade deal, I expect them to talk to the leading economic minds in what the effects are predicted to be.

In a referendum, the representatives are the general public who know fuck-all about the topic in any knowledgeable fashion. This means the entire vote is dictated by media sensation, not by knowledge about the topic. A capable representative will use their time to learn the effects of a decision before they make it - the general public doesn't do that.

We elect reps to make decisions for us based on their knowledge. Referendums basically throw that out the window. If you asked the general US population if we should nuke the Middle East, it's totally possible that 50% or more would say yes - that doesn't mean it's a good idea and that judgment should be reserved for the elected people who's literal job is to know how political decisions will affect the country.
    what the fuck is this post

a referendum is the most democratic thing you can do besides actually having a nationwide vote that matters (tip referendums can be ignored but the government)

republics are what you're describing. while democratic people get less of a say than in a pure democracy. also you're fooling yourself if you think the government officials that vote in republics know anything about what they're voting for on every vote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

2. Post #1082
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts

Carswell attacks Farage publicly yet again (interesting)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

3. Post #1083
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    2,131 Posts
    Get ready for a UK where UKIP is the major right wing party and Conservatives are now the left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

4. Post #1084
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,686 Posts
    People say this is the beginning of the end of the UK, its the beginning of the end of the EU.
    It really isn't. Unless Germany decided to fuck out of the EU, which it won't be doing any time soon, the EU will be fine. It's a major benefit to most member states - the UK was only loosely attached and didn't even make use of the Euro or Schengen, so it doesn't say that much.

A country that uses the Euro and is a member of the Schengen area trying to leave the EU would be much, much, much more difficult than the UK doing so. Very unlikely that other member states will abandon EU benefits for nationalism - they're much more firmly rooted in the EU economically and culturally.

5. Post #1085
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,032 Posts
    Wales secured the Leave vote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

6. Post #1086
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    -snip- was wrong

7. Post #1087

November 2009
    874 Posts
    Does this mean people will stop saying "brexit"?
    No, even worse. This isn't going to be a footnote in history now, it's going to be a major event in UK history, and future generations will be learning about and forced to discuss Brexit and the rammifications of it in classes.

You will hear about this in some capacity for the rest of your life now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 18 (list)

8. Post #1088
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,976 Posts
    Well that's a surprise. So what does this mean for the SNP? Could they wrangle another independence referendum in the next few years due to this?
    Every time I see your avatar I keep thinking it is me. You're welcome btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

9. Post #1089
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,787 Posts
    No I think it's you who doesn't know what they're talking about, a republic is just a state with a president.
    A republic is a country whose government is run by representatives of the people.

It's that simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

10. Post #1090
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,464 Posts
    We're crashing the economy with no survivors, the pound is at its lowest in 30 years as the markets freak the fuck out
    I'm amazed, the Pound has dropped 10% in only 6 hours.

11. Post #1091
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,656 Posts
    "This is the largest event in European politics since the fall of the Berlin wall"

damn

12. Post #1092
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,787 Posts

a referendum is the most democratic thing you can do besides actually having a nationwide vote that matters (tip referendums can be ignored but the government)

republics are what you're describing. while democratic people get less of a say than in a pure democracy. also you're fooling yourself if you think the government officials that vote in republics know anything about what they're voting for on every vote.
    In what world do politicians know less about their policies than the common man?

Also, pure democracy (which a referendum is) is not a good thing.

Edited:

So now that GB is separate from the EU, do you guys start calling yourselves Atlantic Islanders instead of Europeans now or what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

13. Post #1093
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    Dennab
    April 2005
    11,510 Posts
    pour one out for the homies in Gibraltar, for they are fucked
    Spain's wet dream. They got the Brits fucked now. No way they'll make a treaty with the UK for free movement to and from Gibraltar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,214 Posts
    Can someone explain why the Non-England parts of the UK have unanimously voted for Remain?

15. Post #1095
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,686 Posts

I have far more trust in a capable elected representative to make an educated decision on an issue than I do for the general public.

You're right in that a referendum is democratic - I shouldn't have said it wasn't. Does the fact that it is democratic make the result of that referendum the best possible thing for the country? Fuck no - it's based on uneducated public opinion and media campaigns, not expert opinion and discussion of the actual issues. Representatives meet with experts to advise them on issues. Well, capable ones do. The average voter doesn't bother to even look up what the experts think. Bad representatives who ignore experts are as bad as the general public. I'm an American, I'm familiar with bad reps.

Yes, a referendum is democratic, sure. It being democratic doesn't mean it's the smartest and most beneficial decision for the country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

16. Post #1096
    May 2013
    1,584 Posts
    Mother of God.

Is this actually happening?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

17. Post #1097
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,486 Posts
    "All Hail the Empire" - Commonwealth

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,312 Posts
    Glad to know that I wasn't wrong about leave winning.

19. Post #1099
    January 2009
    597 Posts
    Can someone explain why the Non-England parts of the UK have unanimously voted for Remain?
    But they haven't? Only in Scotland has it been unanimous. Leave won in Wales and there were a few constituencies in Northern Ireland that voted leave as well.

20. Post #1100
    December 2008
    6,631 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 33 (list)

21. Post #1101
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,179 Posts
    Scotland is heavily pro-EU, the Scottish Independence movement was built heavily on being apart of the EU by itself and to avoid shit like this. Wouldn't be surprise if a resurgence to do another independence vote sparks up

Northern Ireland is a tossbag between pro eu and anti eu, remember we got the Ulsters and the Republicans in there and as you know, republicans = pro eu pro ireland, ulsters = anti ireland anti eu (or pro in some respects). This might cause the republicans to rise up and declare they want reintegration within Ireland

Wales is pro british so nothing to say there

22. Post #1102
    July 2014
    1,202 Posts
    Gold is leaping up in value right now

23. Post #1103
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

24. Post #1104
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,912 Posts
    So... what happens to Cameron?

25. Post #1105
    HEY GUYS, DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S A NEW STEAMGROUP FOR PLAYING HALF-LIFE 1 AND 2 DEATHMATCH WITH OTHER FACEPUNCHERS?? WE USUALLY PLAY GAMES A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK AND IF YOU JOIN OUR STEAM GROUP WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN WE'RE PLAYING!! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!
    Dennab
    April 2007
    10,941 Posts
    In what world do politicians know less about their policies than the common man?
    The real one

I'm not saying every vote, but quite a number many politicians probably just don't give a shit. They're too busy being courted by lobbyists or they just go with what God tells them to do or some other nonsense.

So now that GB is separate from the EU, do you guys start calling yourselves Atlantic Islanders instead of Europeans now or what
    The same thing they've always called themselves

British

Also leaving the EU isn't leaving the Europe. One is an "economic union" that severely restricts sovereignty as time goes on (except where it matters, ie monetary policy lolgreece) and the other is an arbitrary geographic definition. The British Isles didn't up and move 2000 miles into the Atlantic.

26. Post #1106
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    That makes sense, the Euro and pound are being dumped for gold and USD.

27. Post #1107
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,940 Posts
    Scotland's always wanted to stay as part of the EU, Northern Ireland is tied very closely with its Southern cousin which is in the EU, Gibraltar should be damn obvious as its basically NEEDED to ensure their ability of free movement between themselves and Spain, we leave I can most certainly say Spain is going to be a right bitch about the whole free movement thing, they despise us still owning Gibraltar even though they fucking well gave it to us. As for the islands, can't really say much.

28. Post #1108
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,179 Posts
    So... what happens to Cameron?
    remains prime minister unless he feels he can no longer lead the country and resigns from his post as head of the conservatives
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

29. Post #1109
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    remains prime minister unless he feels he can no longer lead the country and resigns from his post as head of the conservatives
    Or gets ousted by the 1922 committee.

30. Post #1110
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    The real one

I'm not saying every vote, but quite a number many politicians probably just don't give a shit. They're too busy being courted by lobbyists or they just go with what God tells them to do or some other nonsense.
    You realise they go with "what god tells them" because thats what their moronic voters think don't you? Now imagine if you let those moronic voters actually make decisions.

The average person doesn't have the time in their life to actually thoroughly study these sorts of issues and make terrible decisions, like this one for instance.

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    13,602 Posts
    Is the UK really fucked as everyone says it is or are people just being majorly overdramatic?

32. Post #1112
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    Scotland is heavily pro-EU, the Scottish Independence movement was built heavily on being apart of the EU by itself and to avoid shit like this. Wouldn't be surprise if a resurgence to do another independence vote sparks up

Northern Ireland is a tossbag between pro eu and anti eu, remember we got the Ulsters and the Republicans in there and as you know, republicans = pro eu pro ireland, ulsters = anti ireland anti eu (or pro in some respects). This might cause the republicans to rise up and declare they want reintegration within Ireland

Wales is pro british so nothing to say there

little support left for united ireland even among catholics and I doubt Brexit will change this

33. Post #1113
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Is the UK really fucked as everyone says it is or are people just being majorly overdramatic?
    Little of column A, little of column B.

34. Post #1114
    April 2012
    1,026 Posts
    I just saw, apparently it's jumped $100 in the last 8 hours (from an avg of $1,265 /troy oz to $1,360 /troy oz at the moment)

I bet the GBP will slump even further with major sell offs predicted now for the FTSE100

35. Post #1115
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

36. Post #1116
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Apparently we have had a massive period of scaremongering.. I don't think the markets agree with it being scaremongering.

37. Post #1117
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,940 Posts
    Its going to be rough, regardless.
    Leave winning has the likelihood of making it harder if the government doesn't get its shit together.

38. Post #1118
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,043 Posts
    It's a bit of both, things can easily go wrong. Staying in the EU was a safer option, leaving the EU can work but it's going to be harder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

39. Post #1119
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

40. Post #1120
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,970 Posts
    It's a bit of both, things can easily go wrong. Staying in the EU was a safer option, leaving the EU can work but it's going to be harder.
    ye i pretty much second this.