View Poll Results: FP PREDICTS: Which side do you think will win the EU referendum?

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain win, with 52% or more of the vote

544 48.83%
  • Remain win, with less than 52% of the vote

260 23.34%
  • Leave win, with less than 52% of the vote

107 9.61%
  • Leave win, with 52% or more of the vote

80 7.18%
  • Don't know

123 11.04%
  1. Post #1041
    April 2012
    1,025 Posts
    Wow. It's like the election all over again, when pollsters thought it was going to be a "remain" but overwhelmingly looking "leave". I'm looking at the exchange rates and I bet there is going to be a relatively significant slump in the markets in a few hours. GBP/USD is already down below $1.35, might go lower than a $1.30 once the markets open. What a time for Valve to hold the Steam Summer Sale

2. Post #1042
    SUGOI WAIFU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU
    April 2011
    1,101 Posts
    Congrats you idiots, I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

3. Post #1043
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    Well, that's my point. They might move elsewhere but the people worst affected will still be finance. how many people actually work in export industries

answer: not very many, we barely export anything of note

Who will be losing out?

1. Finance
    2. Export industries (not very many people)
    3. People getting EU grants

Most of these people aren't 'ordinary people', they're mostly the richest and best off
    And public sector workers

4. Post #1044
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,685 Posts
    And then they just move elsewhere, because they have the money built up to do that. Industries will also be sacking people to save money if the free trade agreement doesn't go back up.
    It's almost impossible to imagine that the UK won't renegotiate access to the EEA or EFTA. If they fail to do that, you can start the apocalyptic visions of the future and the incoming recession, but it would be one of the most flat-out retarded things to not renegotiate non-EU access to the EEA like Norway/Iceland.

Literally the only major difference this will make if the UK goes back into the EEA is that they won't have negotiating power to change EU rules. The economy might hiccup and hurt for a bit, but don't expect widespread riots and food shortages and apocalypse or anything. The biggest difference is that the UK basically abandoned their ability to negotiate on EU rules to feel a little more independent. Cutting off a finger to be more unique, basically.

5. Post #1045
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    10,827 Posts
    Does this mean people will stop saying "brexit"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

6. Post #1046
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    8,817 Posts
    This spells the beginning of the end for the EU, and may spark another Scottish Independence referendum.

Are they doing this by popular vote or by constituency? I imagine popular vote, since if it was constituency leave would have won long ago.

7. Post #1047
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    And public sector workers
    why the hell would public sector workers lose their jobs

The Tories have rejected Osbourne's austerity budget in case of Brexit and said they will vote against it so there is no chance of job losses for the public sector

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,257 Posts
    no, it just evolves to brexited
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

9. Post #1049
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,043 Posts
    This is a victory for everyone.

10. Post #1050
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,927 Posts
    I'm really not enjoying watching this little counter.
    Also love how the guardian's already publishing shit saying "The British people have voted to leave the European Union in a historic referendum" like as if it's all over.

11. Post #1051
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,976 Posts
    Made this for you all to use

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

12. Post #1052
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,826 Posts
    pour one out for the homies in Gibraltar, for they are fucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Puerto Rico Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

13. Post #1053
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    This spells the beginning of the end for the EU, and may spark another Scottish Independence referendum.

Are they doing this by popular vote or by constituency? I imagine popular vote, since if it was constituency leave would have won long ago.
    I doubt that Westminster would allow another referendum. Doesn't matter if the SNP sweeps every seat, they need permission to hold one and they aren't getting it.

14. Post #1054
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    Bre-enter 2020!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 17 (list)

15. Post #1055
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    10,827 Posts
    no, it just evolves to brexited
    that might actually be even worse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

16. Post #1056
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,969 Posts
    Im not convinced its the richest people affected, they hold the power to fire uk people and move to countries with less tax, or take away wage benefits ect from workers and use the reason because of the GBP drop.

17. Post #1057
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,689 Posts
    so.. they can overturn the vote right?

18. Post #1058
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,976 Posts
    pour one out for the homies in Gibraltar, for they are fucked
    Gibraltar would probably get a special open border thing with Spain.

19. Post #1059
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    evil fish woman statement:

20. Post #1060
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    I actually don't see how it necessarily follows that Scotland will now leave. This doesn't change the fact that the SNP failed to make a coherent economic case for independence, and a post-Brexit economic shitstorm could actually make it harder for Scottish independence supporters - their opponents would say "look at the shitstorm that happened from leaving the EU, and now you want to leave the UK??"

21. Post #1061
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    why the hell would public sector workers lose their jobs

The Tories have rejected Osbourne's austerity budget in case of Brexit and said they will vote against it so there is no chance of job losses for the public sector
    Well if all the financial sector moves out, that means less money will be coming in from tax, which means less money to pay for the public sector, which means the public sector has massive lay offs.

On top of that we'll also have less investment, it's essentially just a big mess.

22. Post #1062
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,401 Posts
    this is going to set a precedent for other countries to leave the EU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

23. Post #1063
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    725 Posts
    Also love how the guardian's already publishing shit saying "The British people have voted to leave the European Union in a historic referendum" like as if it's all over.
    Leave is 944K votes ahead. How could remain pull ahead?

24. Post #1064
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    11,738 Posts
    So sorry to hear this. I hope it works out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

25. Post #1065
    July 2013
    5,569 Posts
    It has been chosen, we must respect the peoples will.

26. Post #1066
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,826 Posts
    are we seeing the sparks for Independence referendum part deux except this time independence wins?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Puerto Rico Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

27. Post #1067
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Czech Republic Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

28. Post #1068
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,927 Posts
    so.. they can overturn the vote right?
    Oh yeah even if leave or stay wins, the government can just decide to go fuck it in the end as we don't have any legislation to legally bind the referendum.

Same with the Scottish one that happened a while ago.

29. Post #1069
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,480 Posts
    People say this is the beginning of the end of the UK, its the beginning of the end of the EU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome New Zealand Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

30. Post #1070
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    The government legally can overturn the referendum, but don't waste time entertaining the thought that that might happen

31. Post #1071
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

32. Post #1072
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,685 Posts
    Im not convinced its the richest people affected, they hold the power to fire uk people and move to countries with less tax, or take away wage benefits ect from workers and use the reason because of the GBP drop.
    That's up to the UK government to remedy. If they can replace the EU's business regulations with comparable ones in UK law, it won't make much of a difference. If they fail to, they could cripple paternity/maternity leave, labor rights, environmental protections, and all sorts of other regulations that the EU has and the UK doesn't.

If the UK government fucks everything up in the next two years, it will be bad. It's expected that foreign direct investment will drop 2.2% of GDP if single market access is renegotiated - but if it isn't, it can hit 10% of GDP. If the UK government manages to cock up the next two years and fail to get proper regulations in place and negotiate trade access to the rest of Europe, you guys will be hurting hard across all sectors of the economy.

100% up to the UK government to replace what the EU provided. If they fail, good fucking luck, prepare for a pretty major recession.

33. Post #1073
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,927 Posts
    The government legally can overturn the referendum, but don't waste time entertaining the thought that that might happen
    I don't expect them to do anything.

34. Post #1074
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    are we seeing the sparks for Independence referendum part deux except this time independence wins?
    no, because they need permission from Westminster to hold a referendum and they aren't going to get it because the first was marketed as being 'once in a lifetime'. they would also probably lose again so they don't want it (there was very little support from the public for a second referendum in case of brexit in one poll i saw).

35. Post #1075
    Dennab
    March 2007
    1,908 Posts
    My favorite part about these threads is going back to the earlier pages and reading all the wrong posts now that I know the outcome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Opera United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

36. Post #1076
    June 2013
    6,433 Posts

This guy on sky news blinks a lot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

37. Post #1077
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    5,910 Posts
    We've only gone and fucking blown it.

38. Post #1078
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,927 Posts
    That's up to the UK government to remedy. If they can replace the EU's business regulations with comparable ones in UK law, it won't make much of a difference. If they fail to, they could cripple paternity/maternity leave, labor rights, environmental protections, and all sorts of other regulations that the EU has and the UK doesn't.

If the UK government fucks everything up in the next two years, it will be bad. It's expected that foreign direct investment will drop 2.2% of GDP if single market access is renegotiated - but if it isn't, it can hit 10% of GDP. If the UK government manages to cock up the next two years and fail to get proper regulations in place and negotiate trade access to the rest of Europe, you guys will be hurting hard across all sectors of the economy.

100% up to the UK government to replace what the EU provided. If they fail, good fucking luck, prepare for a pretty major recession.
    Imagine the Conservatives not fucking shit up.
    Same day pigs fly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

39. Post #1079
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Well that's a surprise. So what does this mean for the SNP? Could they wrangle another independence referendum in the next few years due to this?

40. Post #1080
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    Komm Susser Tod's lyrics actually fit the situation perfectly

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)