View Poll Results: FP PREDICTS: Which side do you think will win the EU referendum?

Voters
1114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remain win, with 52% or more of the vote

544 48.83%
  • Remain win, with less than 52% of the vote

260 23.34%
  • Leave win, with less than 52% of the vote

107 9.61%
  • Leave win, with 52% or more of the vote

80 7.18%
  • Don't know

123 11.04%
  1. Post #1001
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,812 Posts
    Yep, shout out to the uninformed voters for plunging us into economic collapse and political ruin. We're only coming out of a recession, and now we don't have the leverage to negotiate a competitive trade agreement for ourselves. The next 10 years are going to be a horrifying mess.

2. Post #1002
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,485 Posts
    Like honestly, don't think it is the end of the world, once the vote is over, the markets are basically going to return to normal. It takes 2 years to leave the EU, so nothing is going to 'suddenly collapse' or 'thousands of lives being ruined it great!'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome New Zealand Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

3. Post #1003
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    So dramatic. Bet you're gonna move to Canada now huh
    Yep probably will eventually because screw this shit hole, not like I'll be able to find any jobs here so don't have much of a choice now lol

4. Post #1004
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Yep, shout out to the uninformed voters for plunging us into economic collapse and political ruin. We're only coming out of a recession, and now we don't have the leverage to negotiate a competitive trade agreement for ourselves. The next 10 years are going to be a horrifying mess.
    Also shout out to anyone who voted Leave as a protest vote against the government. It was nice being the 5th biggest economy in the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 12 (list)

5. Post #1005
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,043 Posts
    At least we're British.

6. Post #1006
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,512 Posts
    How has BBC called it with Leave at 13m votes?

7. Post #1007
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,278 Posts
    Right now I'm curious as to what'll happen in the future with Gibraltar, seeing as they had a damn large remain majority - and also the fact they're not located in the British isles.

8. Post #1008
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    How has BBC called it with Leave at 13m votes?
    Predictions and modelling, all of them have called it equally (BBC, ITV and Sky) so they might be accurate.

9. Post #1009
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,043 Posts
    Have a look at some of the analytics lower on this page. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...s-and-analysis

10. Post #1010
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Right now I'm curious as to what'll happen in the future with Gibraltar, seeing as they had a damn large remain majority - and also the fact they're not located in the British isles.
    They are about to get shafted by Spain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

11. Post #1011
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    people are overreacting. this was a bad decision but is not life ruining as you seem to think. there will be a minor impact on long run growth but fairly big short run problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

12. Post #1012
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,493 Posts
    What this tells me as an American FPer, is that Trump might actually win the U.S. presidential election, with this many people voting against their interests. I know the U.K. and U.S. aren't comparable, but if something this unbelievable happens in the U.K., something unbelievable happening in the U.S. wouldn't be a surprise to me anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

13. Post #1013
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

14. Post #1014
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    people are overreacting. this was a bad decision but is not life ruining as you seem to think. there will be a minor impact on long run growth but fairly big short run problems.
    Its life ruining for anyone who has a job which only exists thanks to the EU.. Or are in an industry that would prefer to be in the EU to trade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

15. Post #1015
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    Maybe not for people with rich parents to fall back on like you, but for normal people this could actually be really really bad.

16. Post #1016
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 16 (list)

17. Post #1017
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    5,350 Posts
    What this tells me as an American FP, is that Trump might actually win the U.S. presidential election, with this many people vote against their interests. I know the U.K. and U.S. aren't comparable, but if something this unbelievable happens in the U.K., something unbelievable happening in the U.S. wouldn't be a surprise to me anymore.
    people are always suprised by the number of uninformed and uneducated when theyre forced to see them in action

18. Post #1018
    Dennab
    February 2010
    6,792 Posts
    As an american, this decision seems both strange and horrifying. Knowing that its gonna take a couple years to officially leave eases the anxiety, but its still gonna be incredibly shitty for everyone as time goes on. Here's hoping things go better than predicted.

19. Post #1019
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    9,214 Posts
    Far out.. that's nuts.

20. Post #1020
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    Maybe not for people with rich parents to fall back on like you, but for normal people this could actually be really really bad.
    lol the people worst affected are people in finance

the worst affected are the richest and you need to be blind not to see this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

21. Post #1021
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    Question from a dumb guy: is the referendum actually binding, or could the government turn around and say "look at the damage caused already, we're not gonna actually leave sry"

22. Post #1022
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,512 Posts
    Predictions and modelling, all of them have called it equally (BBC, ITV and Sky) so they might be accurate.
    Okay thanks, they announced it suddenly as though it was a matter of fact. I don't doubt that they're correct but they could be a bit more clear about the nature of the call!

23. Post #1023
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,571 Posts
    Repost, but it's turned into this

24. Post #1024
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,177 Posts
    Question from a dumb guy: is the referendum actually binding, or could the government turn around and say "look at the damage caused already, we're not gonna actually leave sry"
    they could but then that would cause protest and a potential riot

25. Post #1025
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    nothing can be legally binding in the UK due to parliamentary sovereignty but it is in reality

26. Post #1026
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts

No they wont, they'll just sack people to prop themselves up or move elsewhere, luxuries normal people don't have.

27. Post #1027
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,686 Posts
    Even though I'm pretty upset at the UK for leaving, you're right - assuming they're able to reintegrate into the European single market like Switzerland, not too much will change.

The biggest differences will be in business regulations and labor rights. Expect to get slightly more shafted with US-style business regulations and decreasing labor rights. The EU has a lot of regulations on discrimination, holiday pay, paternal/maternal leave, rest breaks, and so on - the UK has adopted those but they're not written into law. This could allow labor rights to be chopped down when the new UK law on those topics is written. Hard to imagine they'll be more progressive than the EU when it comes to labor rights.

Business regulations won't be that noticeable. Produce prices will probably drop slightly overall. The pound will lose some value. The GDP will slightly decrease. Your life won't fall apart - there will just be some slight changes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

28. Post #1028
    August 2007
    905 Posts
    At least we're British.
    It's like having a house fire and losing everything but a soiled toilet brush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

29. Post #1029
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    No they wont, they'll just sack people to prop themselves up or move elsewhere, luxuries normal people don't have.
    who are finance going to sack

oh thats right other bankers

who are also rich

30. Post #1030
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,032 Posts
    So Leave has won?

31. Post #1031
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,587 Posts
    Its not binding but I honestly have no idea what the actual fuck would happen if the government refused to leave. I also don't know what will happen if the EU refuses to let us go.

32. Post #1032
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    7,494 Posts
    I hope this leads to the next Scottish Independence vote going Yes. Brits are basically committing economical suicide.

33. Post #1033
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    So Leave has won?
    95%+ likelihood

34. Post #1034
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    161 Posts
    So Leave has won?
    For all intents and purposes, yes.

35. Post #1035
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,485 Posts

^ Exactly that.

36. Post #1036
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    who are finance going to sack

oh thats right other bankers

who are also rich
    And then they just move elsewhere, because they have the money built up to do that. Industries will also be sacking people to save money if the free trade agreement doesn't go back up.

37. Post #1037
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,415 Posts
    well this is lame, they should make you sit a short factual test before you're allowed to vote
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Singapore Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

38. Post #1038
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,686 Posts

yeah, with the London stock market no longer being tied to the rest of Europe, it'll hurt. Foreign direct investment will hurt a lot, too - EU investors will be far more likely to ditch their investments, especially if the pound doesn't recover quickly.

It'll hit markets fairly hard. Daily life won't be that much different, especially once single market access is renegotiated. Freedom of movement will be as restricted as it was before - the UK can't restrict it much more without the EU saying "fuck off you don't get single market access then."

39. Post #1039
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,032 Posts
    95%+ likelihood
    People on FP are going to hate me for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

40. Post #1040
    Dennab
    October 2011
    6,210 Posts
    And then they just move elsewhere, because they have the money built up to do that. Industries will also be sacking people to save money if the free trade agreement doesn't go back up.
    Well, that's my point. They might move elsewhere but the people worst affected will still be finance. how many people actually work in export industries

answer: not very many, we barely export anything of note

Who will be losing out?

1. Finance
    2. Export industries (not very many people)
    3. People getting EU grants

Most of these people aren't 'ordinary people', they're mostly the richest and best off