1. Post #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    We tried Arcade VR in the 90's.

Nobody was willing to pay $5+ per game. The Arcade business model has not worked in North America for 16 years. You should be looking at the Japanese arcade model as it seems to still be rather profitable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 27 (list)

3. Post #3
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts

Nobody was willing to pay $5+ per game. The Arcade business model has not worked in North America for 16 years. You should be looking at the Japanese arcade model as it seems to still be rather profitable.
    to be fair, VR is far better off than it was back then, so I could see it working for events like E3 or game museums and popular areas, but arcades like they used to with VR probably wouldn't pay off very well

VR back then was insanely primitive compared to today, that's for sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,834 Posts
    Considering the hype behind it and the cost point for buying one for one's self, it could precisely work for the same reason why Arcades did work at one point in time.

They could work because of the appeal, and could continue working until the units and hardware prices decline.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    8,969 Posts

...there are arcades all over the place, and near you?? Plus, comparing 90s VR to the brand new VR stuff that's coming out right now is beyond ridiculous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,348 Posts

That was 5 years ago, give it the tech advancment we have today and polish it up and yeah i can see people going to venues where you hop into a 'pod' and play a game like this.

For the right price of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    to be fair, VR is far better off than it was back then, so I could see it working for events like E3 or game museums and popular areas, but arcades like they used to with VR probably wouldn't pay off very well

VR back then was insanely primitive compared to today, that's for sure
    Hardware doesn't mean shit when one play costs a ton of money.
    No remaining arcade is going to justify leasing a machine or two when it takes up a ton of space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    13,120 Posts

yeah let's ignore the major strides we've made in vr technology for the past two decades right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    yeah let's ignore the major strides we've made in vr technology for the past two decades right?
    Alright then, you go do it. I'm sure if you ran an arcade you'd see a full return on one machine after 6 months.
    Also, I seem to recall that VR was thrown under the rug at a gaming standpoint for a good 15 years or so. Commercial applications, sure those were being constantly developed and innovated but nobody in gaming wanted to touch VR until Oculus began proposing their little project.

Arcade gaming is not the same as either PC gaming or even console gaming. Don't try and assume marketing works the same because vendors are selling to the arcades themselves who often invest a few grand per machine, not end-user customers like you and me where at best it's $1000 per unit in large quantities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    8,969 Posts
    Alright then, you go do it. I'm sure if you ran an arcade you'd see a full return on one machine after 6 months.
    Also, I seem to recall that VR was thrown under the rug at a gaming standpoint for a good 15 years or so. Commercial applications, sure those were being constantly developed and innovated but nobody in gaming wanted to touch VR until Oculus began proposing their little project.

Arcade gaming is not the same as either PC gaming or even console gaming. Don't try and assume marketing works the same because vendors are selling to the arcades themselves who often invest a few grand per machine, not end-user customers like you and me where at best it's $1000 per unit in large quantities.
    Man, your posts just within this thread have covered the full spectrum of worst ways to make a judgement ever. You've covered the inaccurate assessment of the technology ("let's judge VR based on where it was 2 decades ago"), to inaccurate assessment of price/value (vr is somehow too expensive even though many arcade cabinets are very expensive and you can get a vive for $800 + a sub $1000 pc), to just plain childish ("yeah well then you do it!"). I don't get what your issue with VR is but your posts in this thread have been ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

11. Post #11
    🥒Candid Friend🥒
    March 2007
    3,689 Posts
    There's actually an arcade here on our nearby mall that has an Oculus Rift seat set that you can play for 30 minutes or one hour for approximately PHP 100-150 ($3-5 in USD). It has only like three games on it but it's pretty popular, I can definitely see it being something more common in the near future.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Philippines Show Events Winner Winner x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,466 Posts
    I doubt arcades in the classic sense because even if VR headsets are expensive they're nowhere as expensive as cabinets used to be back in the day

My money is on large scale experiences, think laser tag but with VR headsets. The kind of games you just wouldn't have the room to play at home

Still quite a long way from that anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    8,969 Posts
    I doubt arcades in the classic sense because even if VR headsets are expensive they're nowhere as expensive as cabinets used to be back in the day

My money is on large scale experiences, think laser tag but with VR headsets. The kind of games you just wouldn't have the room to play at home

There is already many places looking to open large scale experiences, how far away we are just depends on technical challenges like maintaining battery life for the duration of the experience and tracking within an entire building.

(source:the void, planning to open this summer])
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Man, your posts just within this thread have covered the full spectrum of worst ways to make a judgement ever. You've covered the inaccurate assessment of the technology ("let's judge VR based on where it was 2 decades ago"), to inaccurate assessment of price/value (vr is somehow too expensive even though many arcade cabinets are very expensive and you can get a vive for $800 + a sub $1000 pc), to just plain childish ("yeah well then you do it!"). I don't get what your issue with VR is but your posts in this thread have been ridiculous.
    Until I see proper VR killer apps that aren't existing PC games with a patch or two it remains a gimmick. An overpriced, next-gen gimmick sold purely on technology and promises but absolutely NOTHING based on it exclusively that it can call its own. Until that killer app shows up nobody is going to throw all their eggs in one basket because if the hype boils off again because nobody comes up for said killer app, you're fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,019 Posts
    VR is still obscure to the general public, and you don't see the average Joe with a VR kit.
    This means that there's a financial opportunity in it obviously.

What I don't see happening soon are those larger "walking"-type VR's, as they cost a fortune for the initial price and aren't meant to handle beatings from heavy use in conditions such as the thingy that NachoPiggy posted above.

Give it time.

16. Post #16
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts
    Until I see proper VR killer apps that aren't existing PC games with a patch or two it remains a gimmick. An overpriced, next-gen gimmick sold purely on technology and promises but absolutely NOTHING based on it exclusively that it can call its own. Until that killer app shows up nobody is going to throw all their eggs in one basket because if the hype boils off again because nobody comes up for said killer app, you're fucked.
    I'd come up with a funny, witty zinger reply honestly anyone who follows VR already knows that this is total bullshit

anyone who actually has followed VR would know that you're an idiot and that you don't know the difference between 20 years from now, and today.

Only way anyone will convince you that yes, shit actually HAS improved, is if they had you play in VR.

also, I have played in VR, and those killer apps that aren't gimmicks already exist. I don't see why they have to be 'not previously existing'. Only a few months ago did people actually manage to get full HMD's so what do you expect dude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Anyone who actually has followed VR would know that you're an idiot and that you don't know the difference between 20 years from now, and today.
    So in five years from now I shouldn't still see VR fumbling along with a bunch of PC ports. It will have a massive development and user base and the price will of dropped down to $300-$500 per unit.

I'd come up with a funny, witty zinger reply but it's not that worth it
    I barely listen to you anyways, considering how much you and the clique shit on me so much, however lets not make this any more personal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,487 Posts

Motion simulators seem somewhat more appealing in combination with a VR headset, and that's also unlikely to become accessible to consumers.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    8,969 Posts
    (this one is out)

(this one is out)

(this one is purchasable and playable, not sure if it's still considered a beta)

(this one is out)

(this one is out)

(this one is coming out soon)

I have no idea what cave you've been living in but VR left the "all games are just headtracking poorly injected into bethesda games" a long ass time ago. I guess it's also worth adding that several of these games would work well in an arcade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    -bunch of videos to reinforce his statement-

I guess it's also worth adding that several of these games would work well in an arcade.
    Fair enough I wasn't expecting that. Now show me the games which currently are doing the rounds in the VR-ready arcades.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    8,969 Posts
    Fair enough I wasn't expecting that. Now show me the games which currently are doing the rounds in the VR-ready arcades.
    The headsets literally just released months ago to the public, so of course there's not many out in Arcades yet. But in Canada, we already have a few places. CTRL-V is already open in waterloo, ontario for example: http://www.ctrlv.ca/

22. Post #22
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts
    So in five years from now I shouldn't still see VR fumbling along with a bunch of PC ports. It will have a massive development and user base and the price will of dropped down to $300-$500 per unit.
    Exactly right

Wireless phones transcended the home into peoples pockets, and then they become mobile laptops but without a keyboard. 4k monitors went from a few thousand dollars to something a retail employee can afford. Laptops are becoming more like desktops by the hour. Cars are becoming so smart they can drive themselves. Tech improves quickly.

I barely listen to you anyways, considering how much you and the clique shit on me so much.
    If you think that's the case then hey, I can't blame you. Iv'e learned to love what you do with tech, it's insanely cool and you're pretty much a tech historian and that's important to have. A lot of old tech can still be applied today if improved and refitted properly.

But face it, when it comes to computer tech stuff that existed back then literally doesn't compare to todays

VR changed the most since then. We didn't have 1:1 finger, room, and head tracking. We didn't have trackpads that could emulate a trackball perfectly. Nor did we have touch technology or screens that are as good as they are now. All of that tech existed yeah, and it was impressive shit, but it's a way different platform. Everything is becoming wireless and so fast that the human brain can't even process it quick enough.

VR arcades are only an inevitability really. Once wireless headsets hit the market I know we'll be seeing multiplayer arcades that's for sure.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    what

this entire discussion is about how VR arcades dont exist yet, but could. how the fuck is he supposed to show you "games making the rounds in VR-ready arcades" when the arcades havent been set up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

24. Post #24
    November 2008
    947 Posts
    just stop, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    what

this entire discussion is about how VR arcades dont exist yet, but could. how the fuck is he supposed to show you "games making the rounds in VR-ready arcades" when the arcades havent been set up
    The argument ballooned out because I said it wwouldn't work and people cited me from previous arguments where I compared old tech to new tech, then it derailed further from there.

The whole point of the article was "Will VR mark the rebirth of the arcade?"
    My answer is "no".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts
    I'd give it a fewish years for VR arcades to be decent and really pick up

I don't know, feels too early

27. Post #27
    August 2007
    804 Posts
    I'd pay 5-10 bucks for a chance to play some vr games for 30ish minutes. I think vr arcades could be really popular amongst people like me who can't afford a headset.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,458 Posts
    I'd pay 5-10 bucks for a chance to play some vr games for 30ish minutes. I think vr arcades could be really popular amongst people like me who can't afford a headset.
    i'm so for this. thought about this as soon as i saw those battlefield vr tech demos with the gun and the track pad and waist-holder. if this can be an affordable, profitable replacement for laser tag, it might be a thing.

otherwise VR doesn't seem to be affordable for the money or space spent in a home. training? magic robot vr surgery? i'm all for that. video games? arcades at best.

29. Post #29
    STOP
    HAVING
    FUN

OR ELSE I'M LEAVING
    January 2010
    7,577 Posts
    The Japanese still have video arcades without the help of virtual reality. How come we're slugging behind when arcades used to be our forte?

Granted MESS exists but that's a different story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2013
    7,653 Posts
    The Japanese still have video arcades without the help of virtual reality. How come we're slugging behind when arcades used to be our forte?

Granted MESS exists but that's a different story.
    I feel like arcades stayed a thing in Japan due to tight living space restrictions.

31. Post #31
    April 2013
    9,482 Posts
    Idk how it is in places like the US, but I was under the impression that arcades were still successful.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,303 Posts
    Thinking on it, I think Steam has a higher potential to bring back arcades. Depending on the game, developers could potentially sell monthly subscriptions that enable their games to run on an arcade mode, complete with monetization options and bookkeeping tools. At the very least, you could potentially play Skullgirls away from home if that were to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,050 Posts
    I could see VR Arcades ending up akin to a short lived sub-division of the arcade, if it was even considered such. In the early 90's there were places where you could play Genesis, SNES and Neo Geo games via a series of monitors set up with controllers wired under them. It was like $2 for half an hour of Genesis or SNES play, $4 for Neo Geo. They were mildly successful for a while as paying $2 to play something was cheaper and easier than saving the $200 or so to buy a console when you are a child.

34. Post #34
    November 2014
    1,033 Posts
    The argument ballooned out because I said it wwouldn't work and people cited me from previous arguments where I compared old tech to new tech, then it derailed further from there.

The whole point of the article was "Will VR mark the rebirth of the arcade?"
    My answer is "no".
    Jeez, I knew you didn't like any tech made after 2005, but this is just hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2010
    1,062 Posts
    You've covered the inaccurate assessment of the technology ("let's judge VR based on where it was 2 decades ago")
    everything pentium uses is 2 decades old tho so i'd say it's a fair comparison for him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts
    I think it's a good idea, but I'd wait for an omni directional treadmill. Something like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Treadmills today are at the same point in tech as VR was in the 90s. Big, clunky, and doesn't work that well. They need a revolution of their own to become feasible for home use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,918 Posts
    While I don't have any personal use for VR, I can definitely see VR arcades becoming a thing, I'd shell out $10 an hour to play some VR games. Any kind of vehicle sim game like racing, flying, or mechs I'd easily be sold on. Rail shooters also would be neat with a VR upgrade. I think the problem is that the VR experience of today is still in it's infancy (with earlier ideas being more of a conception).

What would be cool is 4D movies using VR.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    15,925 Posts
    The big hurdle for VR arcades (which is where I see VR actually taking off) is the sanitation of the headsets. They'll have to be wiped down after every player or pinkeye will be a very real concern.

Also, I think modular coop games would work well in VR for arcades. Like, have a game set during a huge battle, then have the battle run for like 4 hours and have players play 15-30 minute chunks where they can contribute to the battle. That way you could have many players on at once for large pushes but the game remains playable if you're having a slow day, and you keep track of each person's contribution over multiple visits so when they come back they'll have their same rank or unlockable weapons or whatever.

Hell you could keep their progress with a phone app or a dongle or something, that way you could set up a franchise so they can keep their progress in any of your arcades. Arcade built VR games could well be a profitable business in a few years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,886 Posts
    The big hurdle for VR arcades (which is where I see VR actually taking off) is the sanitation of the headsets. They'll have to be wiped down after every player or pinkeye will be a very real concern.
    Lice. Never forget lice.

eugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)