1. Post #1
    December 2014
    9 Posts
    Hello! First off, I know this is a rather stupid question. I've been developing a few models and while they have a skeleton pre-made, I can't use them as playermodels or NPCs as I want to so I want to convert their existing skeleton to the Valve skeleton.

Their normal skeleton looks like this:

and the Valve biped on the mesh looks like this:

Now, I've been watching so many damn tutorials and reading so many things that I just can't figure out how to attach the Valve skeleton to the mesh or even how to rename the existing skeleton so the Valve skeleton will snap onto the mesh.

I read the thread over here:
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1411683
    and I couldn't quite figure out how to do what SergeantJoe talked about. Either I'm literally brain dead with no activity above the frontal lobe or I just didn't understand it.

Is there any reading material you guys know of or tips that you could say to help me to figure out how to attach the Valve biped to a mesh properly? Again, I know this is a stupid question.

2. Post #2

July 2013
    267 Posts
    Rename their original skeleton one by one and replicate the names from ValveBiped then apply the armature.

After you're done, remove the whole skeleton and import the new ValveBiped skeleton in. Don't forget to assign the armature.

3. Post #3
    December 2014
    9 Posts
    Rename their original skeleton one by one and replicate the names from ValveBiped then apply the armature.

After you're done, remove the whole skeleton and import the new ValveBiped skeleton in. Don't forget to assign the armature.
    First of all, thank you. I was able to get it to... partially work. Now my model in game looks like... well.. this:

Looks like either I screwed it up or I need to go re-do sections of the model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Try to move the body bones as little as possible so they don't stretch so much. The hair is just unrigged.

5. Post #5
    December 2014
    9 Posts
    Try to move the body bones as little as possible so they don't stretch so much. The hair is just unrigged.
    I'm clearly doing something wrong. My Valve Skeleton currently looks like this on my model:

and whenever I get the model in game after linking the skeleton to the mesh, it turns out like the photo above. The eyes usually pop out of the sockets, the chest deforms, the arms stretch along with the body looking like a trash compactor along with the hair deciding to leave this realm of gravity like Casper the Friendly Ghost. I'm such an idiot when it comes to modelling it seems, haha.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, is there anything I could read that would point me in the direction of fixing the model or am I outta luck?

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    You may need to edit the rigging. Try going into Pose Mode and moving some of the bones, it should replicate the deformities.

7. Post #7
    December 2014
    9 Posts
    You may need to edit the rigging. Try going into Pose Mode and moving some of the bones, it should replicate the deformities.
    Tried moving all of the bones into different places numerous times. Still ends up looking like this when I move the arm.

I'm imagining I need to add more bones to the model or weight paint it but I'm not quite sure how to do it thus far. I know the basics of weight painting but not adding bones. I'm used to having a rig already set up then manually placing the rig where I need them I've been working on this for like 4 days reading tutorial after tutorial trying to fix anything that comes up. Starting to get the impression I'm screwed.

Thank you for your assistance thus far though. You've been a big help and I'm not being sarcastic.

Edit: By Jesus I think I just figured it out. Will report back shortly.

Edit 2: Nope. Clothes and body still deform terribly no matter what I do. On the plus side, hair is no longer a problem.