1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts

I have discovered a whole new world of cables. I can't decide waht to do with the thing on the top. I made it cilindrical instead of cubical, and I am not sure the curved part 8like in the regular flaregun) would fit in, I think it looks better with it. Anyways I am not completely happy about it, so I'll gladly hear to any suggestion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events

2. Post #482
    October 2014
    1,611 Posts
    I would make the cable a bit shorter, and slightly more thick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #483
    March 2012
    1,428 Posts
    The tape on that flaregun seems a bit unneccesary imo, I'd prefer the cleaner look without it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    I would make the cable a bit shorter, and slightly more thick.
    Tried with it being a bit thicker, but it was too much. Then I made it too thin, so I made it a bit thicker again, but just so it doesn't clip with animations.

About the wrap around the handle, the concept had more wrapped bands around but I have made just one at the moment, but I considered scrapping them completely. I guess I'll wait to see what people think (my band wraps are not that good anyways).

5. Post #485
    June 2015
    592 Posts
    What happened to this?

I recall someone posting that the author had looked into mailing the team about it, that was a while ago and haven't heard anything about it since.
    I to am curious of this

Concept art for Demoman Primary, The Glass Cannon

Ready to be claimed!
    It has a lot of potential and I actually like the idea but try to redraw it a bit better
    Here use this

Now just wait until someone calls him as "SixEyes" or "ThreeEyes"
    Or worse Fourhead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #486

April 2016
    115 Posts
    It has a lot of potential and I actually like the idea but try to redraw it a bit better
    Here use this
    There is nothing in the link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Safari Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    April 2013
    149 Posts
    as far as the tape wrap around the flare handle goes, feel free to remove it if it gets to clippy! do whatever it takes to make a nice looking item, man. what you have so far is amazing already. keep up with the amazing work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    June 2015
    592 Posts
    There is nothing in the link.
    Sorry im nowhere near my computer and my phone is tiny Here the link
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Show Events

9. Post #489

April 2016
    115 Posts
    Sorry im nowhere near my computer and my phone is tiny Here the link
    That is actualy same thing that made me I start doing these concept arts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Safari Finland Show Events

10. Post #490
    October 2014
    339 Posts
    Hey guys. I've been doing some reworks on my old concepts and stumbled across an old Grim Reaper concept I made last Halloween. I was a little stuck on the colours and I wondered if you could all help by voting.

The grey colour is more like a lot of current reaper style items, but the team colour one is a little self explanatory. Thank you!
    (By the way, here's what the robes look like without the skull.)

EDIT: Looks like team coloured has won. Thank you, again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 21Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #491
    November 2013
    1,623 Posts
    slapped together a gon

also claimed by F!♥εℯ℮$
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts

Unwrapped the gun trying getting a nice UV. Didn't make any major change since the last time. Excuse my AOs, I can't get them right in Blender.
    Also tried some base colors for fun, these won't be the actual final ones:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 12 (list)

13. Post #493
    November 2014
    747 Posts

Unwrapped the gun trying getting a nice UV. Didn't make any major change since the last time. Excuse my AOs, I can't get them right in Blender.
    Also tried some base colors for fun, these won't be the actual final ones:

Currently up for grabs if someone wants to texture it
    Let me give it a shot. I've never textured before, and I think it'd be a good idea to texture my own gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Chrome United States Show Events

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    Let me give it a shot. I've never textured before, and I think it'd be a good idea to texture my own gun.
    Sure thing. I have little texturing experience too but if you got any doubt I could lend you a hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #495
    April 2016
    1,486 Posts
    slapped together a gon

also claimed by F!♥εℯ℮$
    Hum, this actually might be a little interesting. I was going to comment on a change to the arrow perhaps, but then I was thinking how having it be an arrow with a tied bomb attached.

You think it'd be viable to have a explosive that detonates after the arrow sticks to a surface by chance? Or hell, a person... even a person possibly... Maybe not detonate at all on impact? Or the arrow does damage, then you can take damage from the explosive afterwards...?

Lots of possible variables...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events

16. Post #496
    November 2013
    496 Posts
    I made a Pyro Hat concept. Up for grabs, if anybody's interested.

Edit: added original sketch on paper since I'm horrible with drawing tablets and it resulted in the hat looking a bit different.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #497
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,715 Posts

Added a pant to go with the jacket.

(Up for grabs)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    January 2012
    360 Posts
    guess the set name

claimed by foureyes
    The Very Mad Person set?

It would be cool if you had the polys to make a chestpiece with the tooth-lined collar to cover up Demo's ugly chest with something awesome. Probably could be made a second misc if the gauntlets were their own misc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events

19. Post #499
    January 2012
    908 Posts
    guess the set name

claimed by foureyes
    Now we just need Griffith's helmet for Soldier
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    October 2014
    8 Posts
    We think it'd go well with this:
    Oktober Aid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #501
    March 2013
    2,450 Posts
    Oktober Aid?
    No, something original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    June 2014
    8,259 Posts

Added a pant to go with the jacket.

(Up for grabs)
    I'd make the undershirt a dark grey or black. Heavy normally has a huge black vest and items that change the general colorations of a class tend to look really weird in game.

Heavy items have a habit of ignoring this and completely changing his vest, to usually awful results.

Case in point

Your concept isn't a huge offender but I think it would look better if it stuck more to that normal color scheme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #503
    August 2014
    1,799 Posts
    Yeah. just make the red part of the jacket's main body his default vest colour. I think it'd look better that way!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #504
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,715 Posts
    Alright, I guess I will go for the main vest color (and some red stuff)

Also here a pyro version (somewhat different, claimable as well)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    August 2014
    1,799 Posts
    Your concepts have improved a lot recently. Hopefully someone claims them soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

26. Post #506
    November 2014
    747 Posts
    Working on texturing the gun Petachepas modeled. He's making a new version, but here's what I have so far.

Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Chrome United States Show Events

27. Post #507
    April 2013
    149 Posts
    Working on texturing the gun Petachepas modeled. He's making a new version, but here's what I have so far.

Any suggestions?
    one thing that might help you in the longrun would be to have the weapon compiled to work in-game so it's viewable in hlmv. while you're texturing, lightwarps and your alphas, etc will help guide the way in what direction you should go in the process of texturing. working in a blender viewport can sometimes hinder the texturing process, i've found. working within source is the way to go.

i've sent you a pm the other day if you need any further assistance with any of this. hopefully you find texturing your first item a knowledgable time. it's a process, but a fun one!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    one thing that might help you in the longrun would be to have the weapon compiled to work in-game so it's viewable in hlmv. while you're texturing, lightwarps and your alphas, etc will help guide the way in what direction you should go in the process of texturing. working in a blender viewport can sometimes hinder the texturing process, i've found. working within source is the way to go.

i've sent you a pm the other day if you need any further assistance with any of this. hopefully you find texturing your first item a knowledgable time. it's a process, but a fun one!
    Yeah, I wanted to make some small changes and adjustments to the model that won't change the UV at all, but I'll compile a source version for him to test on as I finish that.

29. Post #509
    February 2016
    654 Posts
    Concept art for Demoman Primary, The Glass Cannon

Ready to be claimed!
    Hey, I'm sure everyone's been giving you a lot of good pointers on this, but I wish to add a bit of my own on this one.

You originally posted about this being coloured primarily black and white, and people weren't short to point out how that wouldn't look exactly all that interesting. I'm not sure what sort of glass you're going to go for with this cannon, but my best suggestion is to do some research on liquor bottles, especially given the Demo being a drunk. A lot of them come in a variety of colours, patterns and shapes, and I'm sure you'd be able to get some good ideas for aesthetics.

Also, maybe this is just because I've been trialling as a bartender and have been doing some research into mixed drink recipes, but while Glass Cannon's a pretty good name for now, there's a lot of good puns you could make here in regards to naming it after cocktails or anything bar related. For example:

-The Bramble Bomber
    -The Rum Punch
    -The Groggy Launcher
    -The Suffering Bastard (That's an actual drink's name)
    -The Schooner Boomer
    -The Pint Size
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    So whats the size for texturing weapons? 512x512? 1024x1024? I can't remember and the FAQ on the submission system is outdated (at least for hats, the importer let's me load 512x512 when it says 256x256 in the FAQ, I think it just gets resized in the importer).

Also, how can I do a custom model for the reload animation? Does that custom projectile has to be part of the weapon's model?

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    5,139 Posts
    So whats the size for texturing weapons? 512x512? 1024x1024? I can't remember and the FAQ on the submission system is outdated (at least for hats, the importer let's me load 512x512 when it says 256x256 in the FAQ, I think it just gets resized in the importer).

Also, how can I do a custom model for the reload animation? Does that custom projectile has to be part of the weapon's model?
    Weapons can be 1024x. For the reload animation, the flare model is a separate bodygroup attached to a certain bone on the gun itself. Open the original Flare Gun in HLMV and check out its bodygroups.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Show Events

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    Weapons can be 1024x. For the reload animation, the flare model is a separate bodygroup attached to a certain bone on the gun itself. Open the original Flare Gun in HLMV and check out its bodygroups.
    Thanks god it is 1024x1024. Also, many thanks, I can see it now. So do I have to put my shell where the original one is, but how do I make it not show all times? I think I haven't done multiple bodygroups ever, or I can't remember how it is done.

33. Post #513
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    Thanks god it is 1024x1024. Also, many thanks, I can see it now. So do I have to put my shell where the original one is, but how do I make it not show all times? I think I haven't done multiple bodygroups ever, or I can't remember how it is done.
    Thats just the model, like the ref pose for the player models. The bone for the shell isnt in the spot in game, its only visible during the reload animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Firefox Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,725 Posts
    Thats just the model, like the ref pose for the player models. The bone for the shell isnt in the spot in game, its only visible during the reload animation.
    Still, when getting the files from the mdl it seems the shell's models where compiled along with the flaregun's model, but I don't know how to link and compile my model and my shell together (if that is what I am supposed to do). I have searched but found no info on this.

35. Post #515
    I sell Bot Doggers and Bot Dogger accessories
    November 2011
    1,601 Posts
    slapped together a gon

also claimed by F!♥εℯ℮$
    Thought that was the Avelyn from Dark Souls until I saw Guts. Still an Avelyn in TF2 style would definitely be a cool mod in of itself

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

36. Post #516
    April 2013
    149 Posts
    Still, when getting the files from the mdl it seems the shell's models where compiled along with the flaregun's model, but I don't know how to link and compile my model and my shell together (if that is what I am supposed to do). I have searched but found no info on this.
    you can compile the shell and the gun together as the same model - the shell is just a different bodygroup named "shell" (as pictured here) and it's attached to the "weapon_bone_L" as shown in hlmv, here:

i could be wrong but it looks like you just need to compile both parts of the model like it's shown in hlmv. if not, feel free to let somebody else chime in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events

37. Post #517
    February 2016
    654 Posts

Something I've been sitting on for the Demo, being a SF set inspired by Barry the Chopper from Fullmetal Alchemist.

(Finding a full body shot of this guy is harder than it seems)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

38. Post #518
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    it looks cool and all but you need to start grounding your ideas more in the TF2 universe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,487 Posts
    That's an absolutely spectator concept! but it may be better suited for Iron Gauntlet.

Also! Have a look at the Spiral Sallet and consider removing the lower jaw? And while your at it have a look at the dark red section of the helmet its got potential to be a separate item or a skullless style.

Edit:

Loosely based on the Astra 600.

If you've got criticism now is the time!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    November 2013
    1,623 Posts
    made it less shitty

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)