1. Post #3401
    January 2017
    8 Posts
    The Sleeveless Siberian Summer: a Heavy cosmetic that popped up in my head yesterday so I decided to seek someone to model it for me (i suck a gigantic amount of balls at modelling, even after watching 6545432 tutorials)

Extremely crude concept art (if i put any real effort it would've been way worse):
    http://i.imgur.com/R5oq1IQ.png

Real life inspiration:
    http://i.imgur.com/8Jm16W9.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

2. Post #3402
    February 2016
    497 Posts
    Even though the Trophy Belt was first to reference it, I'm thinking making a proper Crocodile Dundee hat for the Sniper would look really good

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3403
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,110 Posts
    It's a faithful reference and is just enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3404
    June 2016
    508 Posts
    Added a gun to a Heavy set I made some time ago.

is the gun based off of anything?

5. Post #3405
    April 2016
    493 Posts

coming soon™

(i've also fixed clipping since dw)
    Please for the love of god make that a sound mod for the mannrobics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #3406
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,110 Posts
    Totally up for grabs!

7. Post #3407
    January 2017
    8 Posts
    It's a faithful reference and is just enough.
    the thing is the hat is just the normal sniper hat with the crocodile teeth, which makes it really hard for people to notice the teeth, the proper crocodile dundee hat would be a lot better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #3408
    May 2015
    371 Posts
    The Sleeveless Siberian Summer: a Heavy cosmetic that popped up in my head yesterday so I decided to seek someone to model it for me (i suck a gigantic amount of balls at modelling, even after watching 6545432 tutorials)

Extremely crude concept art (if i put any real effort it would've been way worse):
    http://i.imgur.com/R5oq1IQ.png

Real life inspiration:
    http://i.imgur.com/8Jm16W9.jpg
    I'm almost tempted to model this along with a friend of mine.

Looks rather interesting.

Of course if is still claimable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #3409
    January 2017
    8 Posts
    I'm almost tempted to model this along with a friend of mine.

Looks rather interesting.

Of course if is still claimable.
    It is! Go ahead, I'm sure it's gonna end up pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #3410
    April 2013
    1,180 Posts
    Hey guys, I've got another model problem (more of a material problem). I've got a streetlight model set up with multiple skins:

Part of QC with skinfamilies:
    Code:
    $texturegroup "skinfamilies"
    {
    	{
    		"pole_on.vmt"
    	}
    	{
    		"pole_off.vmt"
    	}
    }
    Material directory:

Difference between pole_on and pole_off:

However both skins display pole_off.

And both are loaded:

Here are both .vmt files, which segways to another problem: Notice I don't have phong, yet I'm even referencing a flatnormal texture to try to make sure phong works. But... it doesn't. (I've also tried referencing the one in materials/player/shared but same effect, and I've extracted both to the tf folder just in case it isn't reading it right from the .vpks.)

Pole_on:

Code:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "models/props_wiseau/pole_on"
    	"$bumpmap" "models\effects\flat_normal"
    	"$phong" "1"
    	"$phongexponent" "250"
    	"$phongboost" "200"	
    	"$lightwarptexture" "models/player/pyro/pyro_lightwarp"
    	//"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	//"$envmapmask" "models/props_wiseau/polelightmask"
    	//"$selfillum" "1"
    	//"$selfillummask" "models/props_wiseau/polelightmask"
    }
    Pole_off:
    Code:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "models/props_wiseau/pole_off"
    	"$bumpmap" "models\effects\flat_normal"
    	"$phong" "1"
    	"$phongexponent" "25"
    	"$phongboost" "5"	
    	//"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	//"$envmapmask" "models/props_wiseau/polelightmask"
    }
    (polelightmask is just black with a white spot where the light is, but that shouldn't matter since it's commented)

As you can see, the qc should reference pole_on.vmt, which references pole_on.vtf... at least in theory, so that's not where I'm messing up. And I have no idea where to start on making phong work- it's defying my understanding on how phong materials should work.
    I'm mentioning both problems because it seems dubious for both to exist and not be related in any way.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Sorry if I'm just dumping stuff in this post, but I don't think posting a .zip and telling someone to download it would be as open or inviting.

Thanks in advance for replying.

11. Post #3411
    September 2016
    56 Posts
    material n stuff -snip-
    The skinfamilies .qc text is wrong. It's supposed to look like this:

Code:
    $TextureGroup "skinfamilies"
    {
    	{ "pole_on"  }
    	{ "pole_off" }
    }
    Also why are you using a $phongboost 200 and $phongexponent 250 on the 'on' vmt skin of the pole?

Use "$selfillum" "1" instead to make it glow. (Make sure to give the selfillum a mask to show where to make the model glow)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3412
    April 2013
    1,180 Posts
    The skinfamilies .qc text is wrong. It's supposed to look like this:

Code:
    $TextureGroup "skinfamilies"
    {
    	{ "pole_on"  }
    	{ "pole_off" }
    }
    Also why are you using a $phongboost 200 and $phongexponent 250 on the 'on' vmt skin of the pole?

Use "$selfillum" "1" instead to make it glow. (Make sure to give the selfillum a mask to show where to make the model glow)
    The skinfamilies code you posted is exactly the same, except for formatting, capitalization and removing .vmt from the ends of the files. It isn't working either.

And I turned them up for testing, so I'd know for sure when it worked. It isn't to emulate a glow effect, and as you can see, I have selfillum commented out in the pole_on vmt.

13. Post #3413
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,844 Posts
    From the looks of it, the model is set to use pole_off as the main texture, instead of pole_on. If you swap the order of the two around in the skinfamilies (or correct the model to use pole_on as the main texture) it should work.

14. Post #3414
    April 2013
    1,180 Posts
    From the looks of it, the model is set to use pole_off as the main texture, instead of pole_on. If you swap the order of the two around in the skinfamilies (or correct the model to use pole_on as the main texture) it should work.
    That did the trick. Thank you.

15. Post #3415
    August 2015
    246 Posts
    hi guys, who wants to claim a coconut?

its a mad milk re-skin for the jungle update.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Colombia Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #3416
    Dennab
    January 2014
    102 Posts

too big for scouts tiny baby hands

17. Post #3417
    January 2015
    1,347 Posts
    too big for scouts tiny baby hands
    so is the bread monster reskin, but that didnt stop valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #3418
    January 2017
    8 Posts
    The Power Plant: yet another idea for a cosmetic item that popped up in my head today so I again decided to do some concept art and seek modellers

(better than the first one) Crude concept art: http://i.imgur.com/sVG2Jy7.png
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

19. Post #3419
    August 2015
    107 Posts
    Finished the palm tree beanie:

Thanks to Hotrod McCoolguy for the promos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

20. Post #3420
    July 2011
    1,149 Posts

Heads up, i did this same concept a while ago.

Just letting you know so that if this gets made you don't think I copied you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3421
    August 2015
    246 Posts

lol dont worry.

coconuts arent copyrighted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Colombia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #3422
    January 2017
    8 Posts

this image is pure expand dong material i'm tellin' ya
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

23. Post #3423
    April 2014
    1,804 Posts
    Might wanna snip that out, meme replys are a bannable offence here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #3424
    April 2010
    967 Posts
    Didn't want to make another camouflage patterned weapon, so I tried some other stuff. Dunno if it's too messy or just silly.

I'll keep the plain version as an alternative if I keep this or do something else.

is the gun based off of anything?
    Yes, no, maybe? I guess I'd say it's more "vaguely inspired by".
    Gun used to have four barrels, but it was too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #3425
    March 2014
    4,598 Posts
    could be really cool for the jungle update maybe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #3426
    July 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Didn't want to make another camouflage patterned weapon, so I tried some other stuff. Dunno if it's too messy or just silly.

I'll keep the plain version as an alternative if I keep this or do something else.

Yes, no, maybe? I guess I'd say it's more "vaguely inspired by".
    Gun used to have four barrels, but it was too much.
    The actual texture is really amazingly executed as usual, But i'd say it is too visually noisy, much prefer the plain one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #3427
    hello
    October 2011
    6,324 Posts
    The actual texture is really amazingly executed as usual, But i'd say it is too visually noisy, much prefer the plain one.
    yea the plain texture really exaggerates the awesome shapes of the model, this ones a bit too busy and makes the gun a little less appealing to look at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3428
    April 2010
    967 Posts
    Well, like I said I'm not ditching the plain one so I wouldn't think they are competing with one another.
    In any case, I'll see if I can tone down the pattern, or try out something else.

could be really cool for the jungle update maybe
    Yeah, that was the idea.

29. Post #3429
    March 2014
    4,598 Posts
    scale the pattern up a bit so there are fewer, larger stripes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #3430
    October 2016
    51 Posts
    The Power Plant: yet another idea for a cosmetic item that popped up in my head today so I again decided to do some concept art and seek modellers

(better than the first one) Crude concept art: http://i.imgur.com/sVG2Jy7.png
    Way better than the first one for sure, lol. Though I think only the pot should be paintable and not the bulb. Otherwise, nice idea.

31. Post #3431
    July 2014
    1,233 Posts
    Crits? https://p3d.in/YfpyU

Still very early so if anyone spots any not so obvious errors please tell me.

Helmet and some planned weapons will deffo get released at ~some point~ but the rest is basically trying to learn how to rig stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #3432
    June 2016
    508 Posts
    The actual texture is really amazingly executed as usual,
    agree
    But i'd say it is too visually noisy, much prefer the plain one.
    disagree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #3433
    July 2016
    24 Posts
    Working on the concepts of a Jester set for the Scout.

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

34. Post #3434
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,110 Posts
    Up for grabs!

35. Post #3435
    January 2017
    8 Posts
    Working on the concepts of a Jester set for the Scout.

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

i'd say it looks nothing like a jester suit, unless you're talking some other kind of jester
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #3436
    January 2016
    62 Posts
    Up for grabs!
    I like the plasma medigun, i could do the modelling if it hasn't been claimed. Also, the weapon would benefit of having a backpack with similar theme, such as a high-voltage transformer or something. Stock has some kind of healing liquid inside, amirite?

37. Post #3437
    July 2016
    24 Posts
    i'd say it looks nothing like a jester suit, unless you're talking some other kind of jester
    Yeah right now it does look out if olace, I'll make more adjustments and post it here.

38. Post #3438
    April 2010
    967 Posts
    alrighty.

Also added the tiger version, the stripes are slightly lighter and there are little less of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 23Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #3439
    March 2014
    4,598 Posts

working on this concept soon with kittbetelgeuse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

40. Post #3440
    July 2016
    24 Posts

working on this concept soon with http://kittbetelgeuse.tumblr.com
    I don't know why but I instantly though of the Donald Duck hat!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)