1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,251 Posts
    To me it just looks unrealistically top-heavy, there's no way anyone could hold something that heavy like a normal sword. I mean the thing's gotta weigh several hundred pounds.
    I feel like this is part of the joke personally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,722 Posts
    Or at the very least make the rock more interesting. The sword was never just in a round boulder that couldnt be transported. Make it look comical, like the stone the sword is in was chiselled away so that the piece of rock could be lifted with the sword still in it
    It is supposed to look like it was "digged away" from a bigger rock, yes. Or should I say dynamited away?

Btw the texture has been claimed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Spain Show Events

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,770 Posts
    Was it not originally an anvil???
    I had made a similar weapon years ago that you may be thinking of.

I'd love to remake it with the others whom had worked on the original with me, since I know much more about modeling now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    March 2013
    578 Posts
    I had made a similar weapon years ago that you may be thinking of.

I'd love to remake it with the others whom had worked on the original with me, since I know much more about modeling now.
    Oh yeah that's it. sorry for the confusion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    June 2014
    1,585 Posts
    EDIT - So I misunderstood the nature of the question here, and thought Jake was asking about the original legend - not the original weapon model. Whoops. But I already did all this research, so whatever, maybe someone will find this interesting, maybe not, whatever works.

Was it not originally an anvil???
    In regards to the most well known version of the story, in the original text from the 1400s, written by Thomas Malory (who compiled or possibly even personally wrote Le Mort d'Arthur), it is as follows:

"...there was seen in the churchyard, against the high altar, a great stone four square, like unto a marble stone; and in midst thereof was like an anvil of steel a foot on high, and therein stuck a fair sword naked by the point, and letters there were written in gold about the sword that said thus:—Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise king born of all England."
    So we've actually got both a sword and an anvil, and the sword is actually stuck in both of them. Of course, the Arthurian legends date back further than Malory. But they're often in fragmentary forms, and many don't even mention the "Sword in The Stone". One that notably does is the poem Merlin, by Robert de Boron, written around 1136:

"And whan they com oute of the cherche, thei sawgh it gan dawe and clere, and saugh before the cherche dore a grete ston foure square, and ne knewe of what ston it was -- but some seide it was marble. And above, in the myddill place of this ston, ther stode a styth of iren that was largely half a fote of height. And thourgh this stithi was a swerde ficchid into the ston...

...And the archebisshop lowted to the swerde and sawgh letteres of golde in the stiel. And he redde the letteres that seiden, "Who taketh this swerde out of this ston sholde be kynge by the eleccion of Jhesu Criste.""
    So we've got an anvil here too. And so far, as far as I can find direct references to Arthur and The Sword in The Stone, the element of an anvil being paired with the stone seems consistant. (Of course, I'm not remotely a scholar of Arthurian legend, just an amateur, and I've literally just done the most basic research for this, and it is not at all comprehensive. I very easily could be missing quite a lot.)

There are parallels between these stories and others not about Arthur. There's an old Norse story about the magic sword Gram, which has been stuck into the Barnstokkr - a giant tree with a sturdy trunk - by Odin, and could only be pulled out by the hero Sigmund. And there's also reportedly a story about Galahad pulling a sword from a stone next to a river, but I can't find a definitive text to see if an anvil was involved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    October 2015
    254 Posts
    You could consider turning the rock into more of a pedestal so it looks less like a giant one-sided Q-Tip.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,722 Posts
    Changed the design a bit and added some wear (yes, even being magical 'n stuff)

+

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    May 2009
    256 Posts
    Whoever ends up texturing it, I'd recommend adding blast marks to the stone.

"No fancy magic rock's gonna survive 250 bloody pounds o' dynamite."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Winner Winner x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #129
    July 2011
    941 Posts
    Honestly? All of the stuff like that, 'putting blast marks on the stone' and other things, is a bunch of needless attempts at trying to 'explain' something that doesn't need explaining.

It's a sword. In a stone. Like the old fable. It's a sight gag and doesn't really need too much explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,017 Posts
    these bits of lore are what made the game great though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    February 2013
    2,607 Posts
    Honestly? All of the stuff like that, 'putting blast marks on the stone' and other things, is a bunch of needless attempts at trying to 'explain' something that doesn't need explaining.

It's a sword. In a stone. Like the old fable. It's a sight gag and doesn't really need too much explanation.
    It looks a bit weird if its just a smooth ball of stone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    July 2011
    941 Posts
    It doesn't really look like a 'smooth' stone?

It looks like one of TF2's angular stones that, plausibly, could have broken off the top of a bigger stone the sword was stuck in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,722 Posts
    Yeah, I wanted it to look like it was dynamited out of a big rock.

Also, does anyone know how to set a model or physic model to make the dropped weapon drop like this:

but a little higher, so the whole blade sticks out? It already drops straight into this position everytime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events

14. Post #134
    August 2014
    1,845 Posts

It does need to look good to actually be accepted into the game, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,799 Posts
    Yeah, I wanted it to look like it was dynamited out of a big rock.

Also, does anyone know how to set a model or physic model to make the dropped weapon drop like this:

but a little higher, so the whole blade sticks out? It already drops straight into this position everytime.
    your collision model is screwed up. Load the sword in HLMV and check to see what the collision model looks like. Chances are it's rotated incorrectly along an axis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,722 Posts

Got it to land like this every single time, success
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 40Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    November 2013
    1,599 Posts
    brilliant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    June 2014
    1,585 Posts
    Is there any way to flag certain dropped weapons to be non-pick-up-able by other people?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,770 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    9,610 Posts
    is someone already texturing the stone sword?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #141
    April 2016
    1,364 Posts

Got it to land like this every single time, success
    That looks pretty cool honestly, and is pretty clever.

I have to ask though, does that sword deal slash, pierce or blunt damage though heh. =P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Show Events

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,865 Posts
    I have to ask though, does that sword deal slash, pierce or blunt damage though heh. =P
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,770 Posts
    nah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

24. Post #144
    July 2012
    803 Posts
    Maybe tweak the proportions a bit and make the cuts smaller? Like so:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,738 Posts
    The proportions on that altogether right there look... really odd.

That's either a GIANT sword or a tiny anvil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #146
    June 2014
    1,585 Posts
    Actually, the references to anvils in the Arthurian legends of The Sword in The Stone denote them as being only either a foot or half a foot high.

Today we think of anvils as being larger, but that's because we have more advanced metallurgy and metal is cheaper, so we can make them bigger without spending a fortune. But if you were a medieval smith and good metal was scarce, it wouldn't be uncommon to use a smaller anvil and simply place it on a support of somekind - often a large stone, hence the "stone" part of The Sword in The Stone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,770 Posts
    nope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

28. Post #148
    August 2014
    1,845 Posts
    That sword is way too small in that version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #149
    August 2013
    699 Posts
    i still like the cuts tbh but i cold make them smaller
    that sword would break after one swing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

30. Post #150
    March 2013
    578 Posts
    Hey guys, I don't actually have a model or texture for you, but I did figure out how to completely remove the Stream List that always shows up on the main menu.Here's how to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

31. Post #151
    November 2013
    1,599 Posts
    You can just click the x button tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #152
    March 2013
    578 Posts
    You can just click the x button tho
    but this is more efficient in the long run.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    December 2013
    1,558 Posts
    I get that stuff like this is mostly unwelcome here, but I am making a mod called "OC Fortress 2"

Wanna know why it's "OC" Fortress?

Yeah.

(In case if your trying to find any mistakes on it, I intentionally made it bad.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Turkey Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    August 2014
    1,797 Posts
    I get that stuff like this is mostly unwelcome here, but I am making a mod called "OC Fortress 2"

Wanna know why it's "OC" Fortress?

Yeah.

(In case if your trying to find any mistakes on it, I intentionally made it bad.)
    If one team is lime and pink, you're going to run out of obnoxious colours for the other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #155
    Dennab
    October 2014
    2,333 Posts
    If one team is lime and pink, you're going to run out of obnoxious colours for the other.
    the other team should be black and white, Saturation Fortress 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    March 2014
    5,006 Posts

can we get a fix for the fuckin hazmat? this pinheaded shit is totally unwearable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Opera Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #157
    February 2014
    889 Posts
    "Who you calling pinhead?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,423 Posts
    Xpost from MAYANN
    Still got theses items up for grabs, If anyone is interested.

Just shoot me a PM or Add me on steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events

39. Post #159
    March 2010
    358 Posts
    can we get a fix for the fuckin hazmat? this pinheaded shit is totally unwearable.
    Maybe the new team will accept the older version as a style too, it was way cooler (but nobody tell them it was based on old Pyro concept art this time)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    December 2013
    1,558 Posts
    The other team will be pink (with additional lime parts so they are not piles of pink) or maybe slate (with purple parts as again, don't want them to be a pile of slate)

Let's vote for that!

Agree for pink and lime

Disagree for slate and purple
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)