1. Post #1041
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,612 Posts
    Might sound silly, but to celebrate 64's 20th anniversary I played the 64 soundtrack in my store today.

A lot of the customers seemed to appreciate it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 14 (list)

2. Post #1042
    January 2012
    1,084 Posts
    happy birthday sm64

those bowser portraits in the castle gave me nightmares
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

3. Post #1043
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,711 Posts
    How is this, actually?
    Apparently the gameplay is fantastic. It's just uh... very Japanese.

Very.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #1044
    December 2010
    1,735 Posts
    Man, I wish there was a Four Swords DLC for Hyrule Warriors, but with how Nintendo seemingly avoids overtly referencing any of the Zelda games by Capcom it'd never happen. It, along with Minish Cap and Oracles/Seasons, are really the only games not in Hyrule Warriors aside from some fairy food.

With the now 4 playable characters at once thing, I figure they could do an adventure map that really requires you to micromanage your characters more and swap frequently. They could use Vaati as a playable character with his specials transforming him into his one eyed form, while using wind magic and other attacks in his normal form. They could add the Four Sword to Young Link as a weapon that would let him attack as four Links at once in various patterns. Maybe add a costume for Young Link that gives him Ezlo as a hat, or some reference to Oracles/Seasons as well.

At the very least I'm content with the Link's Awakening DLC. It's my favorite Zelda game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events

5. Post #1045
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,056 Posts
    Gameplay in 64 was excellent, but it's really hard for me to appreciate its graphics. They aged like a...fine ginger ale
    Is it weird that part of me still likes the way Mario64 looks? It's so low poly that it practically resembles paper craft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

6. Post #1046
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,760 Posts
    Through the power of friendship and winning a bet I once again own a Wii U with the best games, imo.

LoZ: TP HD
    XCX
    MH3U
    Bayonetta 2

I'll probably pick up W101 and Pikmin 3 again at some point.
    That's one hell of a bet you won.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Steam United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #1047
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,471 Posts
    Is it weird that part of me still likes the way Mario64 looks? It's so low poly that it practically resembles paper craft.
    It's even harder for me to appreciate it as papercraft when Paper Mario achieves that stunningly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,612 Posts
    I find the low poly graphics to be charming. They're too simple for me to consider them creepy, especially when compared to something like a PS1 FMV cutscene
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

9. Post #1049
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    31,203 Posts
    That's one hell of a bet you won.
    It's good to know people with more money than sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #1050
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,262 Posts
    Why does this gif seem so familiar? Nope can't figure it out, must just be my imagination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

11. Post #1051
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    10,631 Posts
    I find the low poly graphics to be charming. They're too simple for me to consider them creepy, especially when compared to something like a PS1 FMV cutscene
    How did you handle the giant eel and that scary ass piano?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #1052
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    31,203 Posts
    with his eyes closed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1053
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,606 Posts
    A ton of 64 games hold up surprisingly well. I'm glad they avoided the weird rendering the Ps1 has, where the world is basically being constantly rerendered, causing world to skew and distort as you move
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #1054
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,741 Posts
    The thing is, as a kid, many players' brains would end up remodeling the lowpoly into real stuff. I remember that Gohma was terrifying when I first played the Ocarina alone. Now it's just a silly little spider but I do remember being really tensed during the fight. The music didn't help either.

I think that's one other charm of low-poly and sprite-based games. You can make up what you want with the visuals. Playing OoT3D is basically just reliving what I had in mind back then, except now it's right there on the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1055
    July 2013
    4,870 Posts
    A ton of 64 games hold up surprisingly well. I'm glad they avoided the weird rendering the Ps1 has, where the world is basically being constantly rerendered, causing world to skew and distort as you move
    I've mentioned this before in a different thread, but that's because the Nintendo 64 does "real 3D" while the PlayStation actually was not designed specifically for it, and does something vaguely similar to a roided SuperFX game in terms of polygon creation. It just so happened that the Nintendo 64 handicapped itself with cartridges so hard that they left the door open for Sony to get a solid foot inside with a vastly weaker console (the texture buffer being inadequete on the Nintendo 64 makes it look way worse with earlier N64 games than it ever should have appeared, as well, it's 3D capabilities are more comparable to the generation after it than to the Saturn and PS1).

As you said, the world skews and distorts in PS1 games because as a textured triangle approaches the camera, the way that this "fake" 3D is drawn starts to fall apart as it struggles to determine how to render the pixels on the texture as the triangle clips into the camera and caused textures and polygons to warp and mangle as the camera moved. This is most apparent in more ambitious PS1 games like Spyro. To top that off, unlike the N64, the PS1 has no anti-aliasing, which makes the combination of "fake" 3D, lower polycount and harsh pixels due to anti-alias make those games not age well unless rereleased at a higher resolution
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1056
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,711 Posts
    I love low poly stuff that used to scare me because as a kid growing up my dad, friends and everyone would put on masks and scare the shit out of me, force me to watch slasher flicks etc which ended up making me scared of everything.

I'd play Ocarina of Time friend would go "The baby ghoma's rip your head off and lay eggs in Links throat if they touch you" and it would keep me from playing for a long while. "Don't go in a garden, a white wolf will pop up and rip your stomach open." "Redeads? Oh yeah that one froze you, better not let it get to you."

Now when I play it I can't help but remember being terrified of everything and it's kind of funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #1057
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Good thing I looked up if WiiU's were region locked before buying the special edition Legend of Zelda one off of Nintendo's UK website.

Disappointed to say the least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

18. Post #1058
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,997 Posts
    You're forgetting the piano there, pardner
    You have to know how to defeat the dread of the piano.

Excuse the dimwit putting WMM captions over everything.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #1059
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    5,280 Posts
    I love low poly stuff that used to scare me because as a kid growing up my dad, friends and everyone would put on masks and scare the shit out of me, force me to watch slasher flicks etc which ended up making me scared of everything.

I'd play Ocarina of Time friend would go "The baby ghoma's rip your head off and lay eggs in Links throat if they touch you" and it would keep me from playing for a long while. "Don't go in a garden, a white wolf will pop up and rip your stomach open." "Redeads? Oh yeah that one froze you, better not let it get to you."

Now when I play it I can't help but remember being terrified of everything and it's kind of funny.
    i was also scared of everything as a child, but for no real reason
    i never beat ocarina of time until i got the 3ds version because i was too scared by the dark temple. the wolves at the grass temple nearly stopped me.
    now horror is one of my fave genres \_(ツ)_/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events

20. Post #1060
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,986 Posts
    The whole of N64 was like that for me.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were both games that felt so creepy in areas that weren't really meant to be outright scary. They just were.

Can't quite put my finger on what makes that track so great. It gives me this mental image of something ancient, insane, and mindless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #1061
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    9,089 Posts
    Gameplay in 64 was excellent, but it's really hard for me to appreciate its graphics. They aged like a...fine ginger ale
    I dunno, I still think they look pretty good. Other than Bowser who is just wrong.

Edited:

Fun fact, when I was little, I would play Ocarina of Time up to Gohma, and then turn the game off because she was too scary. So usually I just played my mom's file, who was adult Link by that point. I usually didn't make it out of the Market because the Redeads made me shit my pants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

22. Post #1062
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,879 Posts
    Wow I was never scared of anything in games. Played through OoT and MM with almost no scares. The only thing that scared me was the aliens in MM. The music was creepy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1063
    Dennab
    April 2014
    4,034 Posts
    While I love Mario 64, I wish some of the other games in the series got as much love. Yoshi's Island for SNES is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's aged staggeringly beautifully. Every level feels fresh and new, the music is incredible, and the art style is so gorgeous and timeless.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #1064
    August 2013
    5,237 Posts
    While I love Mario 64, I wish some of the other games in the series got as much love. Yoshi's Island for SNES is one of my favorite games of all time, and it's aged staggeringly beautifully. Every level feels fresh and new, the music is incredible, and the art style is so gorgeous and timeless.

To think it was originally going to have the faux-3D art style you see in the intro.

So glad they changed their minds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

25. Post #1065
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    10,631 Posts
    To think it was originally going to have the faux-3D art style you see in the intro.

So glad they changed their minds.
    If memory serves right. Miyamoto was pressured to make the game have that 3D art style and in spite of that he went for the exact opposite with that hand drawn crayon art look.

Shame most of his decisions nowadays are super fucking questionable and don't pay off very well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

26. Post #1066
    Dennab
    April 2014
    4,034 Posts
    Shame most of his decisions nowadays are super fucking questionable and don't pay off very well
    Yeah. I heard it was on him to remove any kind of story aspects from Mario games at all when Mario Galaxy 2 rolled around, resulting in it not having the great little story elements the original had. Same goes for the Paper Mario series, so I've heard. Bit of a shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

27. Post #1067
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    17,967 Posts
    Yeah. I heard it was on him to remove any kind of story aspects from Mario games at all when Mario Galaxy 2 rolled around, resulting in it not having the great little story elements the original had. Same goes for the Paper Mario series, so I've heard. Bit of a shame.
    Miyamoto didn't necessarily say outright to remove the story from Paper Mario, but he and Nintendo did place limits on Sticker Star apparently, like no more original characters (besides Kersti and slight variants of familiar entities). IS themselves decided on essentially expunging the story from his comments. Despite the massive backlash with Sticker Star, though, it seems they really didn't care and kept trucking on with Color Splash. Doesn't help that Paper Mario is now the 'gimmick game spinoff' series because Nintendo doesn't want redundancy with two RPG spinoff series, despite gradually dumbing down and simplifying Mario & Luigi as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1068
    that guy that wants to fuck the robot the most
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts
    The whole of N64 was like that for me.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were both games that felt so creepy in areas that weren't really meant to be outright scary. They just were.

You didn't post the superior version.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

29. Post #1069
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,056 Posts
    Miyamoto didn't necessarily say outright to remove the story from Paper Mario, but he and Nintendo did place limits on Sticker Star apparently, like no more original characters (besides Kersti and slight variants of familiar entities). IS themselves decided on essentially expunging the story from his comments. Despite the massive backlash with Sticker Star, though, it seems they really didn't care and kept trucking on with Color Splash. Doesn't help that Paper Mario is now the 'gimmick game spinoff' series because Nintendo doesn't want redundancy with two RPG spinoff series, despite gradually dumbing down and simplifying Mario & Luigi as well.
    I think that alone is a questionable decision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

30. Post #1070
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    17,967 Posts
    I mean on one hand, I can understand not wanting a series to stagnate, and having Miyamoto of all people come in and tell you "this is just thousand year door on the 3ds, change it up" would probably be a giant deflation considering Nintendo's known formula adherence for Mario. But a bunch of Toads and a roaring Bowser with no dialogue combined with a psuedo-RPG system that's ultimately worthless and really just a puzzle game lying to the consumer about being an RPG..

Nintendo/Miyamoto made a horrible series of decisions with that game, but Intelligent Systems weren't so intelligent with what they chose to do either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1071
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,997 Posts
    If I remember correctly, Miyamoto's actual words were "Don't throw in all these new characters and story elements unless you have a reason for it." IS interpreted that as "No story whatsoever!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #1072
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,711 Posts
    Yeah, he was fine with new characters or whatever. He just didn't want them to be trash-

IS coward-ed away and went to toad hell while AlphaDream went literally insane in Dream Team
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1073
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,986 Posts

That final boss music:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 3 (list)

34. Post #1074
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,606 Posts
    Yoshi's new Island didn't deserve to be half-assed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

35. Post #1075
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    24,343 Posts
    I'm really liking Yoshi's wooly world tho. Really impressed with the variety so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1076
    March 2013
    7,071 Posts
    That final boss music:
    Now if only Baby Bowser wouldn't sound like one of those cups that make a moo sound when you turn them upside down
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #1077
    August 2013
    5,237 Posts
    Yoshi's new Island didn't deserve to be half-assed.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

38. Post #1078
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,606 Posts
    Like, that's almost as bad as the fucking Dualshock Mansion Basement. It's hardly even melodic, it's just random progressions. How did no one go "Yeah guy's fucking redo the music holy SHIT".

Then again, just looking at YNI makes me confused, how do you make a game look that bad artistically? It looks fan made
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

39. Post #1079
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,471 Posts
    Can't quite put my finger on what makes that track so great. It gives me this mental image of something ancient, insane, and mindless.
    During that temple, I couldn't get the image out of my head of a thousand dead Yoshis whooping in the background.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #1080
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,711 Posts
    Oh my god #FE is so aggressively anime it's staggering. I'm staggered.