1. Post #3321
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,573 Posts
    There's an imagine I've seen around that shows most of the keys people generally use:
    this may be the most hideously laid out thing i've seen in my entire life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

2. Post #3322
    September 2008
    1,158 Posts
    This is probably a better guide to the keyboard shortcuts:
    https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/b...-shortcuts.php

There's still a lot there, but that's the nature of blender's setup. It's mainly focused around the shortcuts.

3. Post #3323
    October 2016
    1,807 Posts
    Even worse considering I don't have a numpad on my keyboard. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #3324
    September 2008
    1,158 Posts
    Even worse considering I don't have a numpad on my keyboard. :(
    The 3D Navigation addon should help with those particular controls. Press ctrl + alt + u to open the preferences window, then switch to the addons tab. There's lots of good stuff in there, but for that addon, just go to the '3D View' tab in the sidebar and click the checkbox for the 3D Navigation addon. It should be at the top.

After that, you can close that window and go back to the 3D view, and open the left sidebar if you haven't already with t. Click on the 'Navigation' tab there, and you'll have a set of controls for manipulating the camera, including switching from orthographic/perspective and aligning the view.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #3325
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,281 Posts
    I've been using 3ds max for almost 2 years now and since last year I've been forcing myself to get to Blender because it is free and and I don't wanna deal with Autodesk's licencing.

I couldn't do it. Like others said, it felt "unintuitive and clunky" (at least it was better than ZBrush, shudders).
    I still wanna try getting into it. Is there a way to split the viewport into 4 like in 3ds max?

6. Post #3326
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    Currently doing some foley work for my game (because i was stealing mirror's edge's sounds and realized this while almost releasing the demo of the game...)

All of the sounds are a combination of stock sounds and mostly my own recorded ones, using a Blue Yeti because I can't afford a good shotgun mic. Oh, and no mixing yet, this is just the raw layout of sounds.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

7. Post #3327
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    foley work
    Foley is the shit dude, I've always been interested in how people do it.

Good work so far, actually, fits pretty well with the animations

8. Post #3328
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    Foley is the shit dude, I've always been interested in how people do it.

Good work so far, actually, fits pretty well with the animations
    thanks man. really it's as simple as getting a good room (idealy with a lot of cloth around it, such as a walk in closet, or a recording studio) and a microphone that only records what's in front of it (commonly referred to as a shotgun mic, found commonly on cameras or as boom mics.) then it's just a matter of finding good props. in my case, i've mainly been recording the sounds of a pair of jeans and slapping my wrists for skin contacts. the only thing in this clip that isn't mine are the footsteps, i took them from this foley soundpack.

9. Post #3329
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    It's a wholly accurate summation of the experience of using Blender.

I tried to use Blender at work recently to make a super simple mesh to use for a deformation rig. I couldn't.

The interface is a horrible schizophrenic mess. One of my friends described it as playing a piano, but I only see it this way if the notes were assigned to random keys and also the piano turns upside down on hitting certain notes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #3330
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,605 Posts
    I remember someone posted an image in the 3d art thread where blender actually had a half-way logical ui in the autodesk style, maybe it was a plugin or something?

11. Post #3331
    November 2016
    212 Posts
    I need a poster of this.

12. Post #3332
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,197 Posts
    Just like the actual program!!!

Seriously though, it really needs a UI Overhaul.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #3333

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,425 Posts
    Currently doing some foley work for my game (because i was stealing mirror's edge's sounds and realized this while almost releasing the demo of the game...)

All of the sounds are a combination of stock sounds and mostly my own recorded ones, using a Blue Yeti because I can't afford a good shotgun mic. Oh, and no mixing yet, this is just the raw layout of sounds.

god damn dude
    let me alpha/beta test your game    i just really want to play it aaa   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3334
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    I've been using 3ds max for almost 2 years now and since last year I've been forcing myself to get to Blender because it is free and and I don't wanna deal with Autodesk's licencing.

I couldn't do it. Like others said, it felt "unintuitive and clunky" (at least it was better than ZBrush, shudders).
    I still wanna try getting into it. Is there a way to split the viewport into 4 like in 3ds max?
    You can create as many viewports as you want. You pull the tabs at the top left or right (I forget).
    Go watch some intro videos on youtube to get familiar with their UI and hotkeys.
    The only thing that bugs me about blender is that the Y and Z axes are swapped which can be an issue with some model exporters if they're garbage (looking at you fbx exporter )

15. Post #3335
    September 2008
    1,158 Posts

Ctrl + Alt + Q toggles the 4-viewport setup.

You can create as many viewports as you want. You pull the tabs at the top left or right (I forget).
    Go watch some intro videos on youtube to get familiar with their UI and hotkeys.
    The only thing that bugs me about blender is that the Y and Z axes are swapped which can be an issue with some model exporters if they're garbage (looking at you fbx exporter )
    That's what this section of the fbx exporter is for:

16. Post #3336
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,708 Posts
    It always makes me laugh when I see complaints about Blender because I've had the opposite experience to what most people do; I learnt using Blender, and moving to Maya has been such a pain. The lack of hotkeys, the millions of buttons and drop down menus, the restrictive UI customisation. Things have definitely improved over the past couple of years, but as far as my workflow goes I still get frustrated with basic things that Blender has no trouble with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #3337
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    4,145 Posts
    I started with Max, and then had to switch to Blender for work. Now in school, we're using Max.

The advantage is that given roughly a day, I can switch between the two easily. It's been insanely frustrating learning and re-learning software. Even harder is unlearning old habits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3338
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,744 Posts
    It's a wholly accurate summation of the experience of using Blender.

I tried to use Blender at work recently to make a super simple mesh to use for a deformation rig. I couldn't.

The interface is a horrible schizophrenic mess. One of my friends described it as playing a piano, but I only see it this way if the notes were assigned to random keys and also the piano turns upside down on hitting certain notes.
    Everytime I see that image I think of this tweet:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

19. Post #3339
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,695 Posts
    There's an imagine I've seen around that shows most of the keys people generally use:

here i spaced it out so u can r;ead it easier ,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Useful Useful x 2 (list)

20. Post #3340
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    god damn dude
    let me alpha/beta test your game    i just really want to play it aaa   
    soon! I might actually post the demo here goes live on Steam. I need some time to really playtest it and get some of the bugs out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #3341
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    That's what this section of the fbx exporter is for:
    Yeah, however animations had issues actually doing that sometimes.
    I've had inconsistent experiences with it in the past.

22. Post #3342

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,425 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #3343
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,149 Posts
    I spent years training in the himalayas, learning to improve my webm craft.
    I also did some more work on my game
    Enjoy some new recordings:

I've had a lot less time to work on my own stuff due to my new job but I've really been enjoying it. Working with unity every day is insanely good practice

Also please excuse some graphical glitches, we converted to unity 5.2 and it broke a couple sprites and shaders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

24. Post #3344
    November 2016
    212 Posts
    my god that is really polished. great work man!

25. Post #3345
    August 2016
    184 Posts
    I need a poster of this.
    Please give me context on this nightmare-inducing GIF.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #3346
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts

There we go, entirely integrated and there's even some new item sounds too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 22 (list)

27. Post #3347
    November 2011
    1,403 Posts
    Holy crap that is tight!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #3348
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,694 Posts
    And three hours later I've got a decent inventory system in place for REDFOXES based off of DX Invisible War's. I mean, as much as I hated DXIW, at least I'm not making a sequel that has certain expectations behind it.

Now onto the painful part of this prototype... Augmentations Magic.

And figuring out what the hell I did implementing the inventory system that make's Aaren's animations freeze randomly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #3349
    March 2014
    3,531 Posts
    Back from vacation, finished up deployment behavior for a demolitions asset pack I'm working on.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #3350
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts

i'm having fun with my game again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

31. Post #3351
    December 2016
    27 Posts

There we go, entirely integrated and there's even some new item sounds too.
    I cant use vote button, so I quote
    Amazing work, looks betta than Mirror Edge, actually fast-paced parkour action
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #3352
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,419 Posts
    Messed around a bit today and got some inspiration to make a Line Rider clone.

https://awesomex.itch.io/lane-rider

It also just so happens to be my first Itch.io submission.
    Made in about 3-4 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

33. Post #3353
    November 2015
    588 Posts
    I've always wanted to make a game similar to Terraria, that 2D exploration, mining, etc. is always fun to me. Does anybody mention an engine to use? I know Terraria uses XNA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #3354
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,603 Posts
    Finally built up the courage to post in here. I've been working on this for about a week and a half now and I'm pretty pleased with it. Figured I'd post a couple earlier progress vids I made before showing off what I have right now.

Some vintage footage from my early pathing scripts

Testing out the camera.
    And here's some footage I recorded just now to show off what I've done since.

It's a little long 'cause I wanted to include a lot without posting like 50 videos and stretching the page.

I'm on the stage where I'm about to make some test animations so I can use the system for future enemies, and I also plan on adding a kind of SS13-style line of sight system. I'd call it something else but I can't really think of the proper term right now... Fog-of-war? 360 line of sight, I suppose.

Side note: Who would've thought converting a game to an Zelda/PseudoIsometric-kind of perspective would be such hell. It took me three days to work out all the bugs from the transfer, haha.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #3355
    November 2009
    3,656 Posts
    Alright facepunch, i'm gonna leave this here and trust you with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7xk7yfjvq...Build.rar?dl=0

Please try out my game, preferably with some friends, and if you can leave some feedback for me, especially if you experience any game breaking bugs. and uh, if you can try not to push my 50 CCU limit on unity. I don't want them to get angry at me :V. You can start a lobby or find one via the corresponding buttons. Local lobbies work too, but you have to forward your ports and stuff (if you're interested in that, the port is 37429.)

oh and randomly i'll be pushing small bugfixes here and there so if you wanna send a build to your friends, it'd be best to just share the rar you have rather than send them this link as it is a very volitile link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

36. Post #3356
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,694 Posts
    If you're using GameMaker, I'd be curious to see how exactly you handled making a camera that leans in front of the player.

37. Post #3357
    May 2014
    863 Posts
    Alright facepunch, i'm gonna leave this here and trust you with it.
    And with that post, my afternoon is filled.

That game is really addicting and i hope i can shave off another few seconds. Really great job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #3358
    March 2015
    201 Posts
    After all this time, I have something to show off.
    I also barely have the courage to show this because there are better things in this thread.

Still very early development.
    I made a blog with updates and stuff

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Romania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #3359
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,149 Posts
    Finally built up the courage to post in here. I've been working on this for about a week and a half now and I'm pretty pleased with it. Figured I'd post a couple earlier progress vids I made before showing off what I have right now.

And here's some footage I recorded just now to show off what I've done since.

It's a little long 'cause I wanted to include a lot without posting like 50 videos and stretching the page.

I'm on the stage where I'm about to make some test animations so I can use the system for future enemies, and I also plan on adding a kind of SS13-style line of sight system. I'd call it something else but I can't really think of the proper term right now... Fog-of-war? 360 line of sight, I suppose.

Side note: Who would've thought converting a game to an Zelda/PseudoIsometric-kind of perspective would be such hell. It took me three days to work out all the bugs from the transfer, haha.   
    i wish my game had a dark souls button
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3360
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,603 Posts
    If you're using GameMaker, I'd be curious to see how exactly you handled making a camera that leans in front of the player.
    Incidentally I am. Basically I made a camera object that the player spawns on creation, that the view will follow, and I set it's location to a point somewhere in front of the player's current facing direction using lengthdir_x and lengthdir_y. I also happened to add the player's current speed to it so it will stay in front of the player when moving, since my camera slides into place.

Shaun Spalding's Camera tutorial may be something you wanna check out. You can't just use it word-for-word because the end-target of the camera needs to be different, but it could help you make things look nice, what with cameras sliding into place and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)