1. Post #3921
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    oh yeah, I totally agree with you

store exclusivity is a great idea, and is a great way to compete with the juggernaut that is Steam without being anti-consumer. My problem stems from not just the lack of support for other HMDs, but the deliberate attempts to keep them OUT of Oculus home.

Oculus should simply develop the games with both Rift and Vive functionality so that Vive users can legitimately purchase and play their games. Its a win-win: Vive users get to play more games, Oculus gets more software sales.
    I still don't agree that they "deliberately keep them out". It takes work to get them IN. OpenVR is managed by Valve, you don't just take that dependency on when you're busy developing your own SDK. Plus the Vive in particular seems to be tied to SteamVR (it's even printed on the box!), through whatever deals HTC and Valve made about software distribution. It's easy for OTHER HMDs to implement OpenVR and be supported on SteamVR, as the Rift support since the beginning shows, but that doesn't mean the Vive can just go to another store with its own OpenVR-supporting SDK without explicit approval from HTC.

It's definitely an advantage for Oculus to have more HMD supported on their store, but they're obviously not going for the shotgun approach, and it's wishful thinking that the Vive, which is so heavily tied to Steam, can receive one-sided support from Oculus to make everything magically work.

Edit:

I'll lay it out more clearly:

The Rift is tied to the Oculus SDK. Anyone can implement the Oculus SDK without restriction, like how OpenVR wraps it and allows games for the Rift to be sold on Steam.

The Oculus Platform SDK is tied to Oculus Home. All Oculus Home titles implement it. The Platform SDK only allows hardware supported by the Oculus SDK.

OpenVR is a device driver managed by Valve. Every manufacturer is free to use it to interface with their device. Valve themselves seem to put in extra work to get support for the Rift in OpenVR (this is one-sided, they basically just wrap the Oculus SDK).

SteamVR is the only store & game interface that actually implements OpenVR at the moment. All game dev plugins like those for Unity are SteamVR plugins, not OpenVR plugins (OpenVR is just an interface in the end, not management software).

The Vive is tied to SteamVR, and thus to Steam. You can't run any Vive games without SteamVR running.

You could implement OpenVR in your own platform, and interface with the Vive. However, you wouldn't have any of the management software. None of the chaperone stuff (that's SteamVR). And this is where the crux lies. The Vive implements OpenVR, but is itself tied to SteamVR via partnership with Valve. They helped build the thing after all.

So to wrap up, OpenVR is more open than the Oculus SDK. But the Rift is more open than the Vive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #3922
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    9,238 Posts
    unless I'm missing something, why would they even need that kind of access? The sit-down oculus games simply work on the Vive so long as you can basically trick Oculus Home into thinking your Vive is a Rift. If some random guy in the community can make it work with a simple mod, I gotta imagine that allowing Vive users into Oculus Home would basically be a matter of flipping a switch (so to speak) for Oculus.
    iirc it was mainly ATW and low-level library functions for developers. i really dont think its as simple as flipping a switch, and im not sure how revive works, so im not certain that it integrates all the things that oculus wants to include in their feature set.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3923
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    iirc, isn't the reason that the vive doesnt work on oculus store/home because valve/htc said they wouldnt give oculus the low level access they would need to implement the oculus sdk with the vive? and that oculus didn't want to use openvr because it was a very suboptimal featureset (corroborated by the superhot devs here) compared to their in-house sdk?

Edited:

like im pretty sure i remember a long time ago (back in febuary/march) oculus saying they wanted to support the vive on their store (because as you've said, why wouldnt they) but their condition was that they wanted to use their own sdk, but couldnt because htc/valve wouldnt give them the low-level access needed for it.

Edited:

like im pretty sure i remember a long time ago (back in febuary/march) oculus saying they wanted to support the vive on their store (because as you've said, why wouldnt they) but their condition was that they wanted to use their own sdk, but couldnt because htc/valve wouldnt give them the low-level access needed for it.
    A. Allowing OpenVR would be preferable to shutting out half the market, no?
    B. That claim came from Palmer and is unsubstantiated. The Vive and OpenVR are open and have no known restrictions that would prevent Oculus from accessing them, either natively or via a compatibility layer like Revive.

Edited:

Also worth noting: Oculus SDK's license explicitly prohibits anyone from making their SDK work with non-Oculus hardware. Meaning, if Valve wanted to pick up Oculus' slack and do the work for them to make the Vive run on Oculus SDK.. They couldn't. Because Oculus made it illegal.

Edited:

Just had a really neat idea: You guys know how SteamVR lets you write overlays that can render on top of the game you're in? What if there were an overlay web browser or specifically a YouTube overlay, so that you could drag a little YouTube window around in whatever game you're playing and watch it in VR while you play your games? Just had the thought because I want to watch the HDK2 Tested video but I also want to play Pool Nation VR.. Why not both?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,107 Posts

I recommend everyone to just imagine a thing, and get a bunch of reference images and start drawing in tiltbrush. This is the first drawing (besides literally cocks) i've made, and im having fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #3925
    June 2014
    1,890 Posts
    I've been iffy on if I should pick up a Vive yet, but after seeing stuff like TiltBrush, a few of the games that already exist and come with it, like Job Simulator, and now with both Fallout 4 and most importantly, DOOM getting official Vive support, I'm sold.

I really can't wait. Just gotta upgrade my CPU and my PC will be able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

6. Post #3926
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    I've been iffy on if I should pick up a Vive yet, but after seeing stuff like TiltBrush, a few of the games that already exist and come with it, like Job Simulator, and now with both Fallout 4 and most importantly, DOOM getting official Vive support, I'm sold.

I really can't wait. Just gotta upgrade my CPU and my PC will be able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it.
    Just be aware DOOM is just gonna be a demo, not the full game. Fallout 4 will be the full game though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #3927
    June 2014
    1,890 Posts
    Just be aware DOOM is just gonna be a demo, not the full game. Fallout 4 will be the full game though.
    I'm aware. There's still a lot of other reasons I want to pick it up though. I just didn't list them all.
    There's tons of little games here and there that look really fun, and there's plenty of older games like HL2 where I'd love to just run through areas that I really liked.

8. Post #3928
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    Gabe gave some insight on how they fund some developers:

Basically, they make use of the fact that they're the de facto PC gaming store and that you'll be selling your game on Steam anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #3929
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    It makes sense, really. I imagine Oculus has a similar idea in that they figure they will recoup some of the development costs through taking a cut of the sales on Oculus Home.

So I mean really, arent Valve and Oculus doing the same thing, except Valve is just funding indies only?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events

10. Post #3930
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    It makes sense, really. I imagine Oculus has a similar idea in that they figure they will recoup some of the development costs through taking a cut of the sales on Oculus Home.

So I mean really, arent Valve and Oculus doing the same thing, except Valve is just funding indies only?
    In the grand scheme of things, yes. But they come from different positions. Oculus might have funding now but they're still the underdog. Valve has most of the market with Steam, and HTC has far more manufacturing experience. And Oculus' existence starts and ends with VR, while for Valve it's just another direction to expand into.

In the end, I think everyone's doing fine right now. Developers are getting funded, games are getting made, copies are being sold, roadmaps are being set, and big publishers are entering the market. Oculus is expanding its store by providing something you can't buy elsewhere, like every new store ever does, and that should be fine. Valve is still paving the way with making Steam an all-encompassing gaming platform, and they're doing great.

VR is doing great and performs as everyone hoped. I can still remember the fear in the early days that everything could still flop spectacularly. Nothing stops this train now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #3931
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    I have to say after playing H3VR's Gunnasium and Pool Nation VR, grabbing the world and dragging yourself through it is probably my favorite method of locomotion. Feels incredible if its done right, doesn't break immersion, and is applicable in almost every category of VR game. I think people should push world-dragging over teleportation as the de-facto method of locomotion honestly.

Edited:

Speaking of which, I'll have another little video for you guys soon.. Plus an actual demo that I think you'll get a kick out of. Not related to the mail-man game, but still very fun..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3932
    June 2016
    51 Posts
    I still don't agree that they "deliberately keep them out". It takes work to get them IN. OpenVR is managed by Valve, you don't just take that dependency on when you're busy developing your own SDK. Plus the Vive in particular seems to be tied to SteamVR (it's even printed on the box!), through whatever deals HTC and Valve made about software distribution. It's easy for OTHER HMDs to implement OpenVR and be supported on SteamVR, as the Rift support since the beginning shows, but that doesn't mean the Vive can just go to another store with its own OpenVR-supporting SDK without explicit approval from HTC.

It's definitely an advantage for Oculus to have more HMD supported on their store, but they're obviously not going for the shotgun approach, and it's wishful thinking that the Vive, which is so heavily tied to Steam, can receive one-sided support from Oculus to make everything magically work.

Edit: all dat shit
    But this is work that has already been done by revive and doesn't need to be supported by Oculus at all. The 1.4 update really appears to have targeted revive, which constitutes them working to 'deliberately keep them out.' This strikes me as stupid since they're literally working to prevent people from adopting their platform and buying their games, and as a bonus it's encouraging piracy. It feels like the same kind of stupid as excessive drm (before denuvo anyway).

On the subject of exclusivity, everyone seems to have some grander ideological reason for opposing or condoning Oculus' actions but for me it's just simple personal reaction. Regardless of whether they're justified in terms of large-scale industry impact, if I have a vive and I'm excited to play giant cop and then Oculus comes in and says we're paying them to not support the vive for an undisclosed amount of time after release then I'll get mad and/or sad. I think that's really all it is for a lot of people and probably where a lot of the disagreement comes from that sometimes appears fanboyish. If you already have a rift then this isn't bad news for you personally so you have less reason to look for objections, but if you don't then it upsets you and makes you want to find reasons to condemn their actions. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but there's pages and pages of this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #3933
    Team Hamster

December 2009
    658 Posts
    So I think my lighthouses are bricked. At a friend's house and we were in the process of unplugging everything in his house when BAM, lighting struck just outside the window and all the lights went out. Power came back a few seconds later and to my horror the lighthouses were still plugged in. No sign of life. On the bright side, everything else was unplugged.

So question is, what's the HTC support like? From what I've seen online it seems pretty good. I'm expecting about a week turnaround and $300 for both lighthouses. Will contact HTC in the morning.
    Thought I would give an update on this. Good info if anyone has a similar experience in the future:

It took a while to get through to someone on HTC's support page. Email redirected me to chat and chat was frequently unavailable (even in their scheduled times) or responded so slowly that it would time out. One time I got connected and the guy was responding every 5-10 minutes and eventually the chat timed out. BRILLIANT.

I finally got through to someone who was incredibly helpful and he setup repair requests for the two base stations and 1 adapter. I tested the adapters with a multimeter (note: I don't know how to use a multimeter) and from what I could tell, one was bricked and the other one was fine. Even with the seemingly fine adapter, the base stations did not power on. I sent them all on their way and waited.

A few days later I got an email saying the devices were being shipped back to me. No notification of a charge, nor a resolution, so I was pretty confused. Base station 1 arrived and still didn't work. EXCELLENT.

Got a replacement adapter back today with a note saying they will replace 1 of each accessory for free, as per warranty. How nice of them. And holy shit it worked. So base stations were fine, adapters were fucked. Time to suffer through support one more time to replace the other and we'll be back in business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #3934
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,197 Posts
    O neat, my vr cover finally shipped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #3935
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    But this is work that has already been done by revive and doesn't need to be supported by Oculus at all. The 1.4 update really appears to have targeted revive, which constitutes them working to 'deliberately keep them out.' This strikes me as stupid since they're literally working to prevent people from adopting their platform and buying their games, and as a bonus it's encouraging piracy. It feels like the same kind of stupid as excessive drm (before denuvo anyway).
    But Revive doesn't change the reasoning for what Oculus should do as a company at all. It basically just maps the Oculus SDK to OpenVR, and can only support features that OpenVR supports. That's why not all games function as they should. It's a hack, and it had to change the way it hooked into games once Oculus made the Platform SDK confirm if you have an Oculus SDK-supported HMD plugged in, which I personally think isn't that strange of a security feature. There are, or are going to be, Chinese HMD knock-offs on the market that try to fool the system into thinking they're a Rift. Plus games like Luckey's Tale were explicitly made free for Rift owners. That's also what that simple HMD check wants to combat.

Yet people demand from Oculus that it should account for Revive when making changes to its still developing software. I've never seen a software platform take third-party hacks into account with its updates.

So far Oculus hasn't taken legal action against Revive, and I think that'll be the status quo for the time being. As long as the Revive dev lets it remain a hobby without making money off it.

On the subject of exclusivity, everyone seems to have some grander ideological reason for opposing or condoning Oculus' actions but for me it's just simple personal reaction. Regardless of whether they're justified in terms of large-scale industry impact, if I have a vive and I'm excited to play giant cop and then Oculus comes in and says we're paying them to not support the vive for an undisclosed amount of time after release then I'll get mad and/or sad. I think that's really all it is for a lot of people and probably where a lot of the disagreement comes from that sometimes appears fanboyish. If you already have a rift then this isn't bad news for you personally so you have less reason to look for objections, but if you don't then it upsets you and makes you want to find reasons to condemn their actions. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but there's pages and pages of this shit.
    I can completely understand that some people feel disappointed they have to wait a bit longer for new games. But I think it's been sufficiently reasoned that it's a net positive for developers and the industry. You wait a bit longer, but you also get a better game because it has enjoyed more funding.

Edited:

For all you US folk:

16. Post #3936
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    11,738 Posts
    Footage of Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Oh my, it looks glorious. Touch might actually be very good for this!

17. Post #3937
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    I can completely understand that some people feel disappointed they have to wait a bit longer for new games. But I think it's been sufficiently reasoned that it's a net positive for developers and the industry. You wait a bit longer, but you also get a better game because it has enjoyed more funding.
    timed exclusives are (begrudgingly) acceptable, but those only form a small minority of the games on Oculus Home, most of which are full exclusives that will NEVER see the Vive unless Oculus decides to unfuck themselves and allow other HMD users into Oculus Home

Edited:

is there any evidence to support this? you're making it sound like HTC is somehow preventing the Vive from functioning with Oculus Home, and I dont think I've heard that anywhere.

You're doing a very good job describing the current situation, without justifying why Oculus should keep other HMDs out.

Maybe they should be going for a shotgun approach? If they're selling Rifts basically at cost (as they claim to be), most of their income would be from software, right? If they're relying on software sales to make profits, it doesnt do them any good to block half of the VR community from buying their shit.

Unless they were bullshitting about selling headsets at cost, and they are making a profit from hardware sales. That might explain why they would lock other HMDs out. But hardware profits are pretty rare in the video games industry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

18. Post #3938
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,627 Posts

You can run things on the Vive without having SteamVR running. DCS World for example, as well as a couple others I've tried that were installed outside of Steam. I'll test it later but I think the case is you need SteamVR for the controllers only, DCS World does track the Vive controllers for some aircraft, they just don't do anything, really hoping they'll build on that though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #3939
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    Tried VR for a few hours last night. Whilst it's great and I cannot wait to see more of the content (sense of scale was great), the fov is pretty bad. I was expecting that but it seems worse than I thought. Definitely like binoculars.

Can I ask, do you guys see the black plastic around the lenses in your vision or is it the black around the screen through the lenses? Feels weird that my entire fov is a big circle, would have preferred a more rectangular fov but it is first gen tech, so it's understandable.

Bigscreen beta and vTime was a real blast. You seem to forget the fov a little bit once you have some sort of interaction with the gameplay, such as voice so I'm excited to test my hydras and eventually get touch.

Assetto Corsa, I just sat in the car (as I can't get my wheel/pedals working for some reason) but it felt so good because it was like you were wearing a helmet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #3940
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,297 Posts
    Can I ask, do you guys see the black plastic around the lenses in your vision or is it the black around the screen through the lenses?
    If I understand correctly, then yes what you see is the plastic around the lenses. The lenses don't actually don't fill up your whole field of view, so that is what you see.

Was it the Vive you tried? I think the FOV is pretty good personally, but at first it's definitely something you notice. You notice that you can't use your peripherals, and hell, even the FOV you do have has impaired peripherals... There's definitely issues, although I have to say that I really don't think about them anymore. I actually legitimately forgot that god rays and screen door effect existed until yesterday when someone talked about it. There's a long way to go and I think it could be a ton better, but I think you completely forget about the issues when you get immersed and/or have gotten used to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Germany Show Events

21. Post #3941
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,682 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #3942
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    starVR is still kicking, apparently:

http://www.roadtovr.com/starvr-heads...-view-e3-2016/

I gotta admit, aside from the fucking mess of cables (one HDMI per screen? Jesus), I really like the aesthetics of the HMD. Reminds me of a stealth bomber or something.

Edited:

damn those lenses look fucking crazy

Edited:

Also apparently almost a full 100g lighter than the Rift CV1, how the fuck?????

The optical engineering isn’t the only thing that’s improved. The current prototype is markedly lighter (now at 380 grams)
    the Rift is 470g and the Vive is 555g, for reference

Edited:

interesting that they decided to go to a strappy Vive-style system from a hard rift-style system for the head mount

old prototype
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #3943
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,099 Posts
    http://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-o...-for-everyone/

“We don't think exclusives are a good idea for consumers or developers. There's a separate issue which is risk. On any given project, you need to think about how much risk to take on. There are a lot of different forms of risk—financial risk, design risk, schedule risk, organizational risk, IP risk, etc... A lot of the interesting VR work is being done by new developers. That is a triple-risk whammy—a new developer creating new game mechanics on a new platform. We're in a much better position to absorb financial risk than a new VR developer, so we are happy to offset that giving developers development funds (essentially pre-paid Steam revenue). However there are no strings attached to those funds—they can develop for the Rift or PlayStation VR or whatever the developer thinks are the right target VR systems. Our hope is that by providing that funding that developers will be less likely to take on deals that require them to be exclusive.

Make sense?”
    love you gabe!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

24. Post #3944
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    2,291 Posts
    starVR is still kicking, apparently:

http://www.roadtovr.com/starvr-heads...-view-e3-2016/

I gotta admit, aside from the fucking mess of cables (one HDMI per screen? Jesus), I really like the aesthetics of the HMD. Reminds me of a stealth bomber or something.

Edited:

damn those lenses look fucking crazy

Edited:

Also apparently almost a full 100g lighter than the Rift CV1, how the fuck?????

the Rift is 470g and the Vive is 555g, for reference

Edited:

interesting that they decided to go to a strappy Vive-style system from a hard rift-style system for the head mount

old prototype
    looks like this is aiming for some high ass FOV. wonder how it does tracking, the earlier prototype looks like it uses image tracking of the markers on the front.
    you wouldnt even be able to use this with most GPU's unless you got DP to HDMI adapters, since most new cards are only shipping with 1 HDMI port
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Show Events

25. Post #3945
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    If anyone's up for a really inspirational TED talk on VR as a future medium, I've got you covered:

http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_milk_..._form#t-498903

26. Post #3946
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    looks like this is aiming for some high ass FOV. wonder how it does tracking, the earlier prototype looks like it uses image tracking of the markers on the front.
    you wouldnt even be able to use this with most GPU's unless you got DP to HDMI adapters, since most new cards are only shipping with 1 HDMI port
    Having to get a small adapter is a small price to pay for their insane FOV.

Edited:

Oh man, I can't wait to try PSVR. Weren't they talking about some crazy 120hz magic via interpolation? Excited to see how it stacks up against the Vive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #3947
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,980 Posts

Edited:

Oh man, I can't wait to try PSVR. Weren't they talking about some crazy 120hz magic via interpolation? Excited to see how it stacks up against the Vive.
    The PSVR has two modes from what I remember.
    - True 90Hz mode
    - 60Hz interpolated to 120Hz

Interpolating a video game should be very accurate and effective, because you already know the motion of every pixel in the game, there's no need to analyze the image to apply it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi Norway Show Events

28. Post #3948
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts

Edited:

60hz interprolated to 120hz through reprojection. It smoothes out headtracking, but the world state and animations won't update faster than 60 fps. Though iirc PSVR also does 90hz native now.

29. Post #3949
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,682 Posts
    Full support has arrived

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #3950
    June 2015
    1,629 Posts
    Full support has arrived

oculus would rather die than do anything like this. actually, the vr department of valve exhibits everything good that oculus doesn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

31. Post #3951
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    oculus would rather die than do anything like this. actually, the vr department of valve exhibits everything good that oculus doesn't
    Sigh, eternal september is a bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

32. Post #3952
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    Sigh, eternal september is a bitch.
    you know Trixil has been posting here for a while right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

33. Post #3953
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    Full support has arrived

I really hope Valve can get SteamVR performance and feature parity with Oculus SDK. Truly having only one API to target is just magical, but it seems to be pretty much here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

34. Post #3954
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,627 Posts
    Really curious if Touch will work in SteamVR with the Vive in place of it's controllers.

35. Post #3955
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    I really hope Valve can get SteamVR performance and feature parity with Oculus SDK. Truly having only one API to target is just magical, but it seems to be pretty much here.
    Valve's plan with OpenVR seems to be to hand it over to a consortium once it reaches a certain stage (somewhat like how AMD handed over Mantle, which turned into Vulkan). That should pave the way for standardisation.

Edited:

Really curious if Touch will work in SteamVR with the Vive in place of it's controllers.
    I don't think SteamVR has the option to merge two different tracking systems. Technically, in order for that to happen, you'd need an object tracked in both systems, or sync it manually.

36. Post #3956
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    so there's even an ad on the steam store now that it ships within 2-3 days, and the shipping is still fucking €81
    are they mental??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #3957
    December 2014
    4,797 Posts
    Valve's plan with OpenVR seems to be to hand it over to a consortium once it reaches a certain stage (somewhat like how AMD handed over Mantle, which turned into Vulkan). That should pave the way for standardisation.

Edited:

I don't think SteamVR has the option to merge two different tracking systems. Technically, in order for that to happen, you'd need an object tracked in both systems, or sync it manually.
    It should be technically possible to mix systems though, shouldn't it? What would stop them from implementing a solution where you track the Vive headset via Lighthouse and the Touch controllers via the cameras?

so there's even an ad on the steam store now that it ships within 2-3 days, and the shipping is still fucking €81
    are they mental??
    Are they crazy?? Advertising something that is true?? The absolute madmen!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #3958
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Are they crazy?? Advertising something that is true?? The absolute madmen!!
    i mean the fact why they have that price still, it's like they pulled it out of their ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3959
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,099 Posts
    High shipping cost is still better than THIS

lmao

Edited:

that price difference

the website vs amazon

k
    i
    l
    l
    m
    e

(for reference it's advertised 800$ on HTC's site, and even with NY tax + shipping it's around 900$)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #3960
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts
    Its crazy that people are still spending 1000 dollars to get these on ebay when you can just buy them from steam.

i mean the fact why they have that price still, it's like they pulled it out of their ass
    Why would shipping be cheaper now that they have the stock to ship them out?? Shipping is still shipping?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)