1. Post #481
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    104 Posts
    Classmate of mine wanted a golden watch, he immediately went to Rolex.com . It was hilarious.
    Anyways, he wants a classy golden watch. Something that says "Gentleman". Tips?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

2. Post #482
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,663 Posts
    Classmate of mine wanted a golden watch, he immediately went to Rolex.com . It was hilarious.
    imo, tell him very very strongly to not get a gold watch

i'm guessing sub 22 years old? no one that young should ever wear a gold watch that's him trying to rep a rolex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #483
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,373 Posts
    This'll be right up his alley

Edited:

although if he really wants a nice, classy watch, tell him to get something simple with a leather band. for example, that Orient Bambino (as seen on the first page)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Gold watches are for hairy Latino gangsters and Russians.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    104 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,203 Posts
    Help me out guys I cannot decide which of these to get:

1. (Rate optimistic for this)

2. (Rate usefull for this)

Either one I'm getting I'm replacing the strap with something else, not sure what yet.
    I'm leaning towards the second one more but I'd love to hear your opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Useful Useful x 5 (list)

7. Post #487
    December 2008
    22,663 Posts
    holy shit did he actually pay 900 dollars for a quartz

Edited:

oh and it's not even actually certified to 200m so it's a fake dive watch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #488
    December 2008
    16,373 Posts
    Oh dear god

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,407 Posts

Edited:

oh and it's not even actually certified to 200m so it's a fake dive watch
    it's about 100 bux

https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0072-.../dp/B000820YD8

just some gold finish, the rest is stainless steel

10. Post #490
    December 2008
    16,373 Posts
    it just keeps getting worse lol

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    104 Posts
    Yeah wasn't 900 bucks. He bought the same model. He bought it for like 150-200.

12. Post #492
    December 2008
    22,663 Posts
    here's a hint

if a watchmaker's msrp is 900, and you can buy it for 200

it's worth 30
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member

November 2012
    1,725 Posts
    invcita

invicta is probably one of the worst brands you could buy, too bad people still fall victim to them

14. Post #494
    December 2016
    45 Posts
    Gold watches are for hairy Latino gangsters and Russians.

oлa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,203 Posts
    Got a Vostok and I changed the strap instantly, this is what I got

It was slightly smaller than I had at first thought but I really like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    13,603 Posts
    Bought pic related for $60

1980~ Raketa

Now to wait 3~ weeks to find out whether I got ripped off or not hue
    hands are a bit rusty but they're being changed out (or maybe not).

Got a Vostok and I changed the strap instantly, this is what I got

It was slightly smaller than I had at first thought but I really like it.
    Did you get it from Zenitar (on ebay)?
    How's the quality? I mean obv it's not swiss tier but still
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,866 Posts
    Wanted one of the classic casio watches, ended up with the sleeker looking one which is waterproof.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,203 Posts
    Did you get it from Zenitar (on ebay)?
    How's the quality? I mean obv it's not swiss tier but still
    I got it from a seller on ebay called "blandebar".
    Well, to be honest it's alright, you can twist the outer part with the red and black dots but it doesn't click when you twist it so it just feels like metal against metal, though there's some resistance and it doesn't feel flimsy.

When you want to set the time you first screw back the twistything (dunno the word) and then drag it out and then just adjust the time. Adjusting the date has to be done by adjusting the time so there's a lot of spinning. It feels solid though. The date doesn't switch exactly 00:00 but more like 00:04 which doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure if this is the case with every Vostok but it's a tad fast. I think it's like 2 minutes too fast every week. Doesn't bother me that much though.

Otherwise the build quality seems good, no sound of loose parts on the inside, the entire build feels very sturdy and it is a bit thick between the back touching your arm to the glass, but again it doesn't bother me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,598 Posts
    This'll be right up his alley

Edited:

although if he really wants a nice, classy watch, tell him to get something simple with a leather band. for example, that Orient Bambino (as seen on the first page)
    there are also calculator texas instruments watches, but I'm waiting for the ones that do graphing. Apple Watch meanwhile

20. Post #500
    roar
    January 2008
    10,365 Posts
    So how tacky are Apple watches considered? Iím currently in the market for a new watch as I can't be looking at my phone at work all the time. I might consider investing in one if it's not super cheesy.

In the meantime I need a cheap one, which shouldn't be a problem as I'm in Japan. Anything I should definitely steer away from? I'm working in a hotel as a hotel porter if that makes any recommendations easier. I used to have my granddad's old russian watches before they couldn't hold time, so simple and clean design would be nice.

21. Post #501
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,102 Posts
    So how tacky are Apple watches considered? Iím currently in the market for a new watch as I can't be looking at my phone at work all the time. I might consider investing in one if it's not super cheesy.
    I have one and I've never had anyone say it looks bad, in fact a lot of people like it. Doesn't fit every style (I wouldn't wear it to a formal dinner party or something like that) but that's why you buy other watches for those occasions. My only real problem with it, besides it being square, is that the official bands are overpriced as hell like most Apple stuff, but good-quality knockoffs are everywhere.

I wouldn't get the Series 2 though unless you just want the newest thing. Not many new features, not that much faster, and unless you're gonna be wearing it near water a lot, you won't benefit from the water resistance. I also wouldn't get a 42mm if you have small wrists, because it seriously makes it look more like a brick on your wrist. A used or refurbished "series 0" aka first generation can be had for $150-200 or so and it will be almost unnoticeably different.

It probably also goes without saying that if you don't have an iPhone, it will be useless to you.

22. Post #502
    roar
    January 2008
    10,365 Posts
    I have one and I've never had anyone say it looks bad, in fact a lot of people like it. Doesn't fit every style (I wouldn't wear it to a formal dinner party or something like that) but that's why you buy other watches for those occasions. My only real problem with it, besides it being square, is that the official bands are overpriced as hell like most Apple stuff, but good-quality knockoffs are everywhere.

I wouldn't get the Series 2 though unless you just want the newest thing. Not many new features, not that much faster, and unless you're gonna be wearing it near water a lot, you won't benefit from the water resistance. I also wouldn't get a 42mm if you have small wrists, because it seriously makes it look more like a brick on your wrist. A used or refurbished "series 0" aka first generation can be had for $150-200 or so and it will be almost unnoticeably different.

It probably also goes without saying that if you don't have an iPhone, it will be useless to you.
    Arigato! I'll keep my eyes open for refurbished watches the next time I get a paycheck. In the meantime I found these in the local Bic Camera:

Really digging the look on these, except the ones with a cloth band. They remind me of Swedish yuppies with a yach.

23. Post #503
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    2,128 Posts

Really digging the look on these, except the ones with a cloth band. They remind me of Swedish yuppies with a yach.
    Timex Weekender
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #504
    roar
    January 2008
    10,365 Posts

Ended up with this. It's plenty simple, nice size and most importantly people at work like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Japan Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    13,603 Posts
    New (well, 'new') watch came

Hands aren't in the best condition but the watch looks nice, band is comfortable, and it works completely perfectly

I already want another one
    Soviet watches are fun

I was considering Amphibian or komandirskie but they're too bulky for my tastes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Soviet watches are bundles of fun. Mine frequently get compliments. I was thinking about buying another soon but I don't know how many watches I need.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    July 2013
    1,292 Posts
    So my Timex Expedition is finally deceased. I suppose not all watches can survive being run over but the point being is that I'm after a new, different looking watch. I liked my Expedition, mine being this one:

(as far as I can tell, it has no real name besides Timex Expedition)
    I've had 3 of these watches out of the 5 watches I've had since I actually wore them all the time, and it was the first type I had. However, I am after something different to change things up.
    Any suggestions for a digital watch that's in the 75 and below price range that has some durability to it and can at least tell the time and date? My replacement "watch" only tells me "time" and goes away if I spend too much time in the shower.

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,598 Posts
    So how tacky are Apple watches considered?
    underrated

29. Post #509

August 2012
    210 Posts
    Hey I have kinda small wrists, will I have to special order a different type of strap or will any aftermarket strap fit.

30. Post #510
    December 2008
    16,373 Posts
    I think most aftermarket straps are pretty good at fitting any wrist size. At worst if you order a nylon one, you could poke a hole in the material if need be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    I bought an expensive suede leather belt then had to drill a hole in it to fit my (at the time) skinny waist so it's not just nylon you can do that to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    December 2008
    16,373 Posts

If only I had a spare $250 to burn. I especially like what the Nato Strap company did with it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,804 Posts
    Anyway to adjust drift on mechanical watches? If so, what's the best way to measure it? Was thinking set it on a specific time using time.is and then checking it 3 days later.

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Most have an advance/retard lever that will speed up or slow down the watch respectively. It's trial and error, and on one of my watches there was nothing keeping it in place and I accidentally popped it off by trying to slow it down too much, so be careful. I would just take it to a watchmaker and ask him to time it, it is an inexpensive service.

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    I ordered another Commie watch from the single eBay seller I've ordered from most.

"GLASNOST"

36. Post #516
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,664 Posts
    Looks nice! I like how the numbers are all skewed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Yeah! It's sweet looking. I was going to get this one until I saw that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Blac...IAAOSwBOtY-2p8

I can't afford both right now so I have to let this one go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,675 Posts
    Huh. As if it feared it was being replaced, my black and gold Pobeda has started acting up after several months of flawless function. Not sure what's wrong with it. I noticed it was way far behind the actual time (like 45 minutes behind) but I thought maybe I just forgot to set it when I woke up. That's when I noticed it's started making a clunk sound when rocked back and forth, so I took it off and left it on my desk here at the office. I set it to the correct time 15 minutes ago and it's already 5 minutes ahead.

So I guess I'm going to let it run down and take it to the watch doctor when I bring my Wehrmacht watch up for its spring replacement. Stupid watches

e: Weird, it's been consistently keeping 5 minutes ahead so I set it to the proper time and it's been keeping it ever since. That was strange. I hope there's not a spot of rust on a gear in there or something.

e2: Still keeping time. Maybe I really did forget to set it this morning and I've just never noticed the clunk before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #519

August 2012
    210 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

40. Post #520
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,744 Posts
    Watch collection update.

I just realized that I've got a bit of a preference for pilot style watches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)