1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    11,781 Posts
    VR is too expensive imo. There's a gap in the market for a cheaper model somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

2. Post #42
    December 2014
    4,796 Posts
    I'm sorry but your comparison is just terrible.

First of all, smartphones have an absolutely massive amount of versatility. They're literally hand-held computers, for the average person nowadays they're invaluable, and for many, who only need basic functionality like browsing the web, they've also replaced the home computer. People upgrading them every few years is perfectly understandable.

VR? Sorry, but at the end of the day it's just an entertainment gimmick, a very impressive one mind you, but still not something the overwhelming majority of people will see as worth $600, let alone $800.
    Yeah but spending $800 on a smartphone is still extravagant and unnecessary just as VR is. You can get your essential smartphone functions for anywhere from $20-200. VR is obviously not as general a market as smartphones, but for first generation tech and the quality of products being put out by HTC and Oculus, I think they've set very reasonable prices. Early adopters will have fun and bolster the market while HTC/Oculus improve their products and lower prices for second gen.

3. Post #43
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    Until they actually experience it themselves, that is.
    And then they just get motion sick.

Edited:

But that one is only an option if you have a certain phone.

But to be realistic, there's not going to be cheap vr for a few years because the components needed for vr headsets are currently expensive. Luckily, high end phones also have some of those components.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,354 Posts
    people talk shita bout gearvr and cardboard, even though oculus literally uses samsung phone screens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts
    And then they just get motion sick.
    If they play a bad game/experience, yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    That isn't/wasn't VR.
    Let me use a better example from the 90's, also ironically costing $700.

PC not included   

We literally went 20 years since the last attempt and though the tech got better the price didn't change. It's a joke and saying it's expensive because it's for the high-end is a fucking backpedal. Most of the sets being marketed now were initially advertised for the general public, in at least one case it was initially advertised for half what it's finally going to market for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,080 Posts

PC not included   

We literally went 20 years since the last attempt and though the tech got better the price didn't change. It's a joke.
    90's VR just wasn't VR

at least not even slightly close to the level we had now

the thing about 90's VR was, they Frankenstein'ed together whatever they could to desperately try and make VR "Work", even if it was only the SLIGHTEST amount, to either scam people out of their cash, or to pretend they had the tech available.

The thing about VR today, is that they actually want a functional VR headset
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    90's VR wasn't fucking VR
    Stereoscopic LCD displays, motion head tracking, multichannel sound, a handheld controller that allows for multi-axis manipulation of objects or the rendered environment......sounds like VR to me unless you're blindly defending the Virtual Boy as a VR device.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 16 (list)

9. Post #49
    November 2014
    835 Posts

10. Post #50
    February 2006
    46,080 Posts
    Stereoscopic LCD displays, motion head tracking, multichannel sound......sounds like VR to me unless you're blindly defending the Virtual Boy as a VR device.
    and you love blindly defending old tech. They were failed attempts. Nothing had the same following as today, period. The VR tech in the 90's however was undefendably shitty and never took off for a reason.

The difference is that the 90's VR solutions were going to be actually physically painful. Also, 800$ is undefendably expensive for me, but the cost will go down hopefully, people are still buying into it at least.

If the headset makes the user feel PHYSICAL PAIN, or requires an insane amount of tinkering to work, then it's not a solution.

The 90's had amazing tech, but it wasn't amazing in the VR department.

unless you're blindly defending the Virtual Boy as a VR device.
    also, this doesn't even make sense??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

11. Post #51
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    20,810 Posts
    Can we ... like.... not have one of those discussion where everyone involved doesn't plan to change anyway and is only here to show others how superior the point he is making is?

Can we...I don't know. Be proactive? Productive?

Be happy for the people able to afford it and see the chances it brings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

12. Post #52
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    Stereoscopic LCD displays, motion head tracking, multichannel sound......sounds like VR to me unless you're blindly defending the Virtual Boy as a VR device.
    All of those things existed but they weren't good enough back then, and we didn't really have computers good enough to use them for anything worthwhile.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,820 Posts
    Wonder how much the total cost will be shipped to Sweden.

The Oculus Rift manages to cost well over 800 dollars if taxes and shipping are included.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    and you love blindly defending old tech. They were failed attempts. Nothing had the same following as today, period. The VR tech in the 90's however was undefendably shitty and never took off for a reason.
    How is this me defending old fucking tech? It's a consumer VR decice just as much as the fucking Vive. That like saying "The Fiat Panda isnt a car because its shit".

also, this doesn't even make sense??
    In response to Orkel pointing out that a pictured Virtual Boy was not actually VR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

15. Post #55
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    Can we ... like.... not have one of those discussion where everyone involved doesn't plan to change anyway and is only here to show others how superior the point he is making is?

Can we...I don't know. Be proactive? Productive?

Be happy for the people able to afford it and see the chances it brings?
    I'm really looking forward to when people without infinite money for beastly computers and high end tech can afford and use them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,312 Posts
    "VR won't take off at this rate", said by people who obviously aren't closely following it and are instead just vaguely watching from the sidelines

lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,466 Posts
    The question is with the higher price is it really worth picking over the oculus

Yeah the "you can walk around the room and move around" thing looks cool and all but so did the Wii when it first came out. I feel like it doesn't go far enough to be anything more than a gimmick at this point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Italy Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

18. Post #58
    December 2014
    2,469 Posts
    I expected it to be more expensive, honestly.

Still, high quality dedicated HMDs (Oculus and Vive) are going to be expensive initially. The cost of the tech being put into them is pretty damn high by themselves, and the OEMs making them have to make a profit somehow if we want VR to continue to be a thing. If you want those to be less expensive, then just wait for a few generations because the prices will only come down with time.

If you're really wanting to have a relatively affordable VR experience ASAP, then you'll be looking into getting a mobile powered HMD. They're not as extensive as the Oculus and Vive are, but for VR media consumption (which is where VR seems to actually be going for the most part), they're perfect.

Although VR gaming is a cool concept, I don't see it taking off until they find some ways to alleviate some of the issues that people have it with, especially when it comes to first person games (which is what most people want in VR experiences). The only way we have right now is to have those games use some sort of teleportation mechanic paired with room tracking, but people want to actually feel like they're moving around in a big open world rather than a small room that they have to teleport around occasionally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    February 2006
    46,080 Posts
    How is this me defending old fucking tech? It's a consumer VR decice just as much as the fucking Vive. That like saying "The Fiat Panda isnt a car because its shit".

In response to Orkel pointing out that a pictured Virtual Boy was not actually VR.
    this is more like saying the old ford motor prototype cars aren't cars.

at 640x480 with a fov of 45 it's as much a VR device as Vive, as much as a

is a car today. Not really that suitable for consumer use when compared to today. Ford had to have been the smartest man alive to have thought of this, and it revolutionized the market forever.

Even still, car's back then were far too shitty to function to nearly the same quality as a car today. They were unreliably slow, just as the VFX (best attempt at VR) as unreliably lackluster.

Of course, the difference is that cars very, very quickly picked up and improved over the decades, and that the early models actually picked up to begin with. VR still is in its early stages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,540 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 25 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,324 Posts

PC not included   

We literally went 20 years since the last attempt and though the tech got better the price didn't change. It's a joke and saying it's expensive because it's for the high-end is a fucking backpedal. Most of the sets being marketed now were initially advertised for the general public, in at least one case it was initially advertised for half what it's finally going to market for.
    With inflation taken into account that would be $1080 in 2016 dollars. The Vive is 35% cheaper.

Looks awesome for the time though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts
    People seem to somehow forget that literally every new piece of technology is like this, it starts out really expensive where only hardcore enthusiasts can really buy it and then over time it gets accessible and affordable to a wide audience. It happened with flatscreen monitors, it happened with SSDs and pretty much everything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

23. Post #63
    Dennab
    October 2015
    767 Posts

While I do agree with you on the point that it is VR.
    It still wasn't good, nor was there much use for it at the time.
    Which is why it never picked up.

The tech used nowadays represents a far more feasible option and has demonstrated a few times that people are in-fact willing to use it.

Now we have far more games and other media, with hardware capable of supporting much more intense operations. We also have more developers willing to create content for such a platform.

That simply wasn't the case at the time of the VFX-1s commercial run.

This being said, it was a pretty awesome little piece of technology at its time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    While I do agree with you on the point that it is VR.
    It still wasn't good, nor was there much use for it at the time.
    Which is why it never picked up.

The tech used nowadays represents a far more feasible option and has demonstrated a few times that people are in-fact willing to use it.

Now we have far more games and other media, with hardware capable of supporting much more intense operations. We also have more developers willing to create content for such a platform.

That simply wasn't the case at the time of the VFX-1s commercial run.

This being said, it was a pretty awesome little piece of technology at its time.
    Yeah it was just way ahead of its time, if you recreated the vfx with modern components it would actually not be horrible.

25. Post #65
    November 2014
    835 Posts
    Nothing new, but HTC blog post is up: http://blog.htcvive.com/2016/02/unve...r-information/

26. Post #66
    Dennab
    September 2010
    5,586 Posts
    VR is too expensive imo. There's a gap in the market for a cheaper model somewhere.
    Before it goes really mainstream, VR is going to be quite expensive within next 2-3 years.

After all, if you are really cheaping out, consider Oculus (which isn't THAT bad), or, kek, Google Cardboard.

I think Samsung offers decent VR goggles as well.

27. Post #67
    February 2006
    46,080 Posts
    Before it goes really mainstream, VR is going to be quite expensive within next 2-3 years.

After all, if you are really cheaping out, consider Oculus (which isn't THAT bad), or, kek, Google Cardboard.

a good reference point would be monitors with the high resolutions and high Hz

high HZ monitors are a hyper niche market that specifically only gamers will buy into, and it's getting cheaper and cheaper to make as demand rises

2k and 4k was insanely expensive, and still is, and is slowly getting cheaper and cheaper. There are even 4k tv's being sold so, that's definitely mainstream.

Eventually the average low end dude will have the ability to use VR and 4k and 144hz and all that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,828 Posts

2-3? At this entry price it's going to take much longer than that to reach the market saturation point where it can go down in price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

29. Post #69
    HEY GUYS, DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S A NEW STEAMGROUP FOR PLAYING HALF-LIFE 1 AND 2 DEATHMATCH WITH OTHER FACEPUNCHERS?? WE USUALLY PLAY GAMES A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK AND IF YOU JOIN OUR STEAM GROUP WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN WE'RE PLAYING!! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!
    Dennab
    April 2007
    10,941 Posts
    799 was what most people expected. Lol @ those that thought the Vive would be cheaper than the Rift though.
    Wait until the oculus controllers come out. They're closer in price than you think.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,324 Posts
    I think the price is perfectly fair. The people who can't afford it will have to wait for future iterations or the Playstation VR, Which I'm sure will be more targeted to a mainstream market. As someone who's bought a stack of flagship GPU's over the years, $700 seems totally within the pattern of things. Especially for the experience it can give you.

31. Post #71
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    How? All of the VR setups are basically very high end smartphone, plus you throw in the software and the controllers, being 799 is actually fairly cheap than if you bought everything on your own.

Plus valve's system let's you easily build your own motion tracking controllers if you so wanted to
    as my post said, if it's $799 then i'm fine with it

but with taxes and all that stuff, it's going beyond $1000.

i was fine with the rift being $600 too, but over here it's $900+
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts
    as my post said, if it's $799 then i'm fine with it

but with taxes and all that stuff, it's going beyond $1000.

i was fine with the rift being $600 too, but over here it's $900+
    Yeah well the taxes and shipping and all that isn't exactly up to them

33. Post #73
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Yeah well the taxes and shipping and all that isn't exactly up to them
    their fault if they don't ship from inside eu or make it available in retail stores
    their loss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    Until they actually experience it themselves, that is.
    Yeah sorry if I'm not willing to pay more than 200 to 300 bucks for PC components or a video game console I'm not going to be willing to spend twice that amount on a a pair of goggles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. France Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

35. Post #75
    February 2006
    46,080 Posts
    Yeah sorry if I'm not willing to pay more than 200 to 300 bucks for PC components or a video game console I'm not going to be willing to spend twice that amount on a a pair of goggles.
    it should ease way the hell down to costs that don't make people feel bad in a few years

I know I'll be getting the rift, already set a pre order up. I like to try and keep everything under 200$ but if its REALLY good, 500-600 isn't too shitty

36. Post #76
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Yeah, that's the entire point of my post. If one of your friends ends up getting the Vive/Rift, you might suddenly feel like saving up the money after giving the "goggles" a go in Eve: Valkyrie, Budget Cuts, or one of the other AAA titles coming for either headset.

37. Post #77
    December 2014
    4,796 Posts

PC not included   

$700 in the 90's is worth $1260 today.. So the price dropped by about $400, added a ton of features like room scale tracking, and bumped the specs up exponentially. What are you on about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

38. Post #78
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    their fault if they don't ship from inside eu or make it available in retail stores
    their loss
    Haven't you gotten used to living in sweden yet, everything costs 25% more here than in the us. So even if they sold it here you wouldn't save any money.

39. Post #79
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Haven't you gotten used to living in sweden yet, everything costs 25% more here than in the us. So even if they sold it here you wouldn't save any money.
    not right now it doesn't, take a look at electronics in the u.s. and compare the prices to here, right now it's not that big of a difference

when companies import and sell stuff in retail stores they get them in bulk price and the end user isn't affected as much as if they'd order it themselves, doubling the tax

40. Post #80
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    Yeah, that's the entire point of my post. If one of your friends ends up getting the Vive/Rift, you might suddenly feel like saving up the money after giving the "goggles" a go in Eve: Valkyrie, Budget Cuts, or one of the other AAA titles coming for either headset.
    And once you have enough money your computer is too outdated to play the new games. You have to realize that these things are only for the people with a lot of disposable income.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)