1. Post #4121
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    9,198 Posts
    Considering that Terminator 2's sound design is top notch, I'd recommend finding a DVD and listening to it with a good surround sound setup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #4122
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    65,717 Posts
    Considering that Terminator 2's sound design is top notch, I'd recommend finding a DVD and listening to it with a good surround sound setup.
    it is like you are trying to trigger me

Edited:

also a heads up friends scream factory has just/is about to release a new 2k scan of John Carpenter's The Thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4123
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    9,198 Posts
    You're right. Wait for the UHD 4K version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4124
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    Here's one for you: the cinema room in my student accommodation has a 5.1 surround speaker system but only lets you input audio through AUX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #4125
    September 2005
    65,717 Posts
    s/pdif! s/pdif!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #4126
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,963 Posts
    Here's one for you: the cinema room in my student accommodation has a 5.1 surround speaker system but only lets you input audio through AUX.
    I just let out a little cry when I read that.

Why would you do this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #4127
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts

Edited:

also a heads up friends scream factory has just/is about to release a new 2k scan of John Carpenter's The Thing
    Does it have lens flare? Because my br of the thing has so much lens flare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #4128
    September 2005
    65,717 Posts
    Does it have lens flare? Because my br of the thing has so much lens flare.
    the literal flares in the film have always had lens flare. it's in the original negative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

9. Post #4129
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,120 Posts
    the literal flares in the film have always had lens flare. it's in the original negative.
    It's almost like John Carpenter loves anamorphic lenses, and shoots all of his movies with them.

Weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

10. Post #4130
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    Fair enough

It just makes jj abrams look like a lens flare amateur is all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #4131
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,963 Posts
    Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - 6/10

I'm not sure what this movie is trying to be. Come to think of it, neither is the movie. Is it a Spinal Tap style mockumentary? Is it a 'proper' movie? It goes from rougher, unrefined documentary-esque cinematography to traditional cinematography or a weird combination of the two and it's a really jarring transition that just doesn't work. Putting that aside for a moment, it pains me to say that this should be funnier. The big problem with Popstar (and Lonely Island's comedy in general) is that it's a very hit-and-miss style of jokes. Some jokes land (Akiva Schaffer   throwing that award away was funny. Him working a colossal weed farm was fucking genius   ), some just fall flat.

This movie could've been better. It should've been better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4132
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,969 Posts
    So today my brother asked me if I had ever seen the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (since he knows I like film and german) and my reaction was "Wait, you KNOW what the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is???" since that's like the total opposite of what he normally watches.

Turns out it was for his Science Fiction class, but oh my god there's still hope for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #4133
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    7,909 Posts
    So today my brother asked me if I had ever seen the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (since he knows I like film and german) and my reaction was "Wait, you KNOW what the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is???" since that's like the total opposite of what he normally watches.

Turns out it was for his Science Fiction class, but oh my god there's still hope for him.
    the only reason i know that that movie exists is because of Portlandia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #4134
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,029 Posts
    Adaptation

Self-Loathing: The Movie.

It was great though. A shame that it seems to get a bit overshadowed by Kaufman's other films.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Vivaldi Switzerland Show Events

15. Post #4135
    Joz
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,772 Posts
    The Last Family (Ostatnia rodzina) (2016)

It's a biography in the form of tragicomedy of a famous Polish contemporary painter, Zdzisław Beksiński. You probably saw some of his paintings over the net

But it's something much more than just a biography. It portrays a dramatic relationship between his troubled and suicidal son, and his forgiving wife. Starts as a light farce with hints of dark humour, only for later to turn into a very serious tragedy. What surprises is how brooding and contemplative this film is. No one talked when leaving the cinema, not even to comment how great this film is. It drains the emotions from viewer.

If you'll get the opportunity to watch it in your country, I recommend you doing it, it's the European cinema at its finest.

9.5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #4136
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    7,909 Posts

It's a biography in the form of tragicomedy of a famous Polish contemporary painter, Zdzisław Beksiński. You probably saw some of his paintings over the net

But it's something much more than just a biography. It portrays a dramatic relationship between his troubled and suicidal son, and his forgiving wife. Starts as a light farce with hints of dark humour, only for later to turn into a very serious tragedy. What surprises is how brooding and contemplative this film is. No one talked when leaving the cinema, not even to comment how great this film is. It drains the emotions from viewer.

If you'll get the opportunity to watch it in your country, I recommend you doing it, it's the European cinema at its finest.

9.5/10
    This just convinced me to watch this, does anyone know where to stream/download the film from the USA?

17. Post #4137
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts

9.5/10
    i've seen the middle one a thousand times. that is by far one of the best paintings i have ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #4138
    Joz
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,772 Posts
    This just convinced me to watch this, does anyone know where to stream/download the film from the USA?
    It was released here in Poland just today, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get some sort of release in US. I'll keep you all posted when digital version hits the net.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #4139
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    7,909 Posts
    It was released here in Poland just today, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna get some sort of release in US. I'll keep you all posted when digital version hits the net.
    you're a real one

20. Post #4140
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,616 Posts
    Wreck It Ralph - 7/10.
    UP - 7/10.
    The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - 7/10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

21. Post #4141
    Respected User
    March 2007
    9,234 Posts
    Just got back from Masterminds. Loved it. I enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite, Nacho Libre and Gentlemen Broncos but this really nailed it for me. Might just be due to having a well known cast and bigger budget and more action. And seeing/hearing the audience react to    eating the tarantula    was amazing. Probably not a movie for everyone but if you liked Jared Hess' other stuff you'll enjoy this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

22. Post #4142
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,370 Posts
    High and Low

So this was my first Kurosawa movie and god damn, it delivered. Everything about this movie was masterfully constructed, from the tight plot to the well thought out characters. It's like this was the equivalent of Zodiac, but it predates it by 40 years. This isn't a hard movie to find by any means, so I strongly suggest you watch it. Super good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #4143
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,772 Posts
    out of boredom, i checked out the new remake of the magnificent seven and, without ever seeing the original movie or seven samurai, i still found it very generic and mediocre but not even in an entertaining way. it was honestly quite boring and nothing really stood out: the action was monotonous and all the group scenes, when you would expect some character development, are cut short

ethan hawke plays a sharpshooter haunted by his memories of the civil war and, to be fair, that was the only thing remotely interesting in the movie. too bad that the ending just throws his entire character out of the window when    he comes back all gun blazing after promising that he would never kill another human being   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Italy Show Events

24. Post #4144
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,333 Posts
    Miss Peregrine's House for Peculiar Children

Good
    - The world is amazing.
    - Very gothic-centric.
    - Miss Peregrine is a babe.

Neutral
    - Got some feelings this was heavily inspired by Harry Potter, but HP works in that the character didn't know about magic until Hagrid introduced him. In this story, the character was already well versed about most of the strange stuff, so he was virtually emotionless.

Bad
    - Second half felt cheap. The ending reeked of cheapness.
    - Doesn't feel like it needed a villain.
    - We need more Chris O'Dowd.
    - Asa Butterfield's performance was really terrible. I found it odd that this is a semi-British tale played by a British pretending to be an American. He just sounded bored throughout the entire movie. There was a huge lack of emotion from him.
    - Weird editing choices.
    - Some story elements was slightly confusing. Why do they need the eyeballs to get a little humanity back? Immortality through the birds' powers? What?
    - Terrible CGI
    - Samuel L. Jackson in another short performance where he sort of acts charismatic, but we know this is just a paycheck-film for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #4145
    December 2014
    1,280 Posts
    Kimi no na wa. ("Your Name.")

There is no doubt this is THE most popular movie this year in Japan. I could see it myself, it has been more than 1 month since its first showing yet when I went to see it yesterday the biggest theater in the cinema complex was full (400+ people?). It was the discount day where it costed only 1,100 yen for everybody instead of 1,500 yen for high school/college students and 1,800 yen for adults though, and it was also a Saturday, so maybe it was related to that.

Now I thought at first this was just another one of those typical romance movies but then I heard that even old men cried, which made me curious so I decided to watch it. Well... I did not think that story was so touching that one could cry, but it certainly was a touching story, just as a feeling. Regardless my initial thoughts of it being just a typical romance movie was a big mistake. The way the story opens, especially in the second half, was very unexpected, the illustration was great, and I thought the voices of the characters matched well.

Considering my thoughts on the movie I think that the most appropriate rating for the movie is 8.5 out of 10. It is a great must-watch movie, so, I do not know if it will be showing overseas but, if you ever get the opportunity to see it in your language AND IT WILL NOT BE A SHIT DUB, then I recommend watching it. I know he watches all kinds of movies but even Mr. Kojima has expressed his approval for the movie!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Japan Show Events

26. Post #4146
    September 2005
    65,717 Posts
    Miss Peregrine's House for Peculiar Children

Good
    - The world is amazing.
    - Very gothic-centric.
    - Miss Peregrine is a babe.

Neutral
    - Got some feelings this was heavily inspired by Harry Potter, but HP works in that the character didn't know about magic until Hagrid introduced him. In this story, the character was already well versed about most of the strange stuff, so he was virtually emotionless.

Bad
    - Second half felt cheap. The ending reeked of cheapness.
    - Doesn't feel like it needed a villain.
    - We need more Chris O'Dowd.
    - Asa Butterfield's performance was really terrible. I found it odd that this is a semi-British tale played by a British pretending to be an American. He just sounded bored throughout the entire movie. There was a huge lack of emotion from him.
    - Weird editing choices.
    - Some story elements was slightly confusing. Why do they need the eyeballs to get a little humanity back? Immortality through the birds' powers? What?
    - Terrible CGI
    - Samuel L. Jackson in another short performance where he sort of acts charismatic, but we know this is just a paycheck-film for him.
    in addition to this, i felt the script at times was under written and other times bizarre. nobody talked normally and they said things that made no sense all the time, or they ignored the obvious natural things to say. it felt stilted. maybe tim burton doesn't know how to be a person anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #4147
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,616 Posts
    Silver Lining's Playbook - 8/10
    Kung Fu Panda - 5/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #4148
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    Silver Lining's Playbook - 8/10
    Kung Fu Panda - 5/10
    Flip these and you got a deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #4149
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,616 Posts
    ^Scale of 1-10, five being average I'd say Kung Fu Panda hits average right on the mark. Silver Lining's Playbook seems to be in the same league of films like 500 Days Of Summer, Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Juno, etc. and Silver Lining's outplays those performance-wise, script-wise, editing-wise, the whole shebang. I'll perhaps concede that its visuals were a little less than most other films I'd rate an 8/10. I'd probably prefer if Silver Lining's took a little more care in its blocking, but in the end that aspect was saved by the editing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

30. Post #4150
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,993 Posts
    Mr. Kojima tends to have a good taste in films. I remember he posted Fantastic Planet on Twitter once. Might check this one out thanks.

Tekkonkinkreet
    I stumbled upon this film by complete accident after finding a cool picture on Google and reverse image searching it. The animation in this film is fantastic and the story is very moving. The film isn't perfect but I felt that with me at least it hit all the right notes. I'd recommend it to anyone who has seen and enjoyed Akira and Blade Runner (two of my favourites btw).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Australia Show Events

31. Post #4151
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,950 Posts
    Star Trek Beyond

It was a fun ride. The story was good enough to keep me interested, and I like how they tried to change up the formula a little, although it still feels somewhat familiar to every other big budget action films. The events and happenings that occur felt far too convenient and far-fetched most of the time, but I just kinda ran along with it. The characters were fine as always, they tried to throw in something at the end to make the villain more interesting, but it didn't help all that much. He's pretty generic and uninspired. I like the humor but sometimes it got a bit too ridiculous for its own good, especially with the way they dealt with the swarm (reminded me of Mars Attacks). The scene at the beginning is probably the best moment in the movie, the way they played with perspective, music and dialogue was unexpected and quite creative. I'd give it a go, just to enjoy the goodness of millions of dollars worth of onscreen candy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Malta Show Events

32. Post #4152
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    Audition

damn son that shit was fucked. I was expecting it to take a turn, given its reputation, but even so I wasn't prepared for the Lynch-like levels of mindfuckery and unease. Definitely a must see for horror fans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Ukraine Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #4153
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,333 Posts
    in addition to this, i felt the script at times was under written and other times bizarre. nobody talked normally and they said things that made no sense all the time, or they ignored the obvious natural things to say. it felt stilted. maybe tim burton doesn't know how to be a person anymore?
    I was totally fine with the English people's way of speaking through their slang. I'll give the somewhat immortal people a pass too since I bet they love staying in the 40s.

I think the part where    Asa Butterfield goes back in time to get back onto the boat and Miss Peregrine watching them go off    at the ending made no sense for me.

I haven't read the book, but I did read the Wikipedia summary. It sounded better than the film's plot.

34. Post #4154
    September 2005
    65,717 Posts
    I was totally fine with the English people's way of speaking through their slang.
    not what i was talking about. it was particularly the people in the present that had bizarre dialogue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #4155
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,029 Posts
    OSS 117 : Le Caire, nid d'espions (OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies)

Meh. I had a few chuckles here and there but it wasn't all that great. I wish it was more about parodying spy clichés and less about 117 being a bumbling idiot. First of all because it's kinda hard to do both: on one hand 117 is your stereotypical Bond-esque womaniser, but on the other he's an utter imbecile that lacks any social awareness. Doesn't really work. Secondly because comedy that revolves around one character being a moron gets stale pretty fast anyway imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Vivaldi Switzerland Show Events

36. Post #4156
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts

Westworld - 7/10

I wanted to see this before I started watching the show. Neat 70s flick, awesome idea and overall good execution. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of    people fighting robots   , but it was still done pretty well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #4157
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,029 Posts
    Seven Samurai

Great film with beautiful cinematography. I was surprised that it managed to go on for 3.5 hours without ever getting too boring. The final battle scene is incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Vivaldi Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4158
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,602 Posts

Westworld - 7/10

I wanted to see this before I started watching the show. Neat 70s flick, awesome idea and overall good execution. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of    people fighting robots   , but it was still done pretty well.
    I like Westworld and thought the idea was amazing and full of promises, but the film strongly suffered from not going very deep and not exploring a lot of things that needed to be explored.

I expect the TV series from now is going to fix all that. Or so I hope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events

39. Post #4159
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    I like Westworld and thought the idea was amazing and full of promises, but the film strongly suffered from not going very deep and not exploring a lot of things that needed to be explored.

I expect the TV series from now is going to fix all that. Or so I hope.
    Apparently Chrichton cut down a bunch of scenes because they bored him.

What was in them? Shit I would have liked to have seen, along with character development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

40. Post #4160
    December 2014
    1,280 Posts
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Not quite a recent movie, in fact it has been just over 10 years ago since its theatrical release, but I see that we rate lots of much older in this thread so whatever. I decided to watch this movie because I watched Summer Wars which is a movie by the same director, Mamoru Hosoda, and there were many voices saying "if you watched this, then you should also watch that" making me curious.

I think the movie is great. Although the author of the original novel should probably be at least partly praised for this, the story is very good. The whole idea of time travelling in an attempt to fix past mistakes, especially related to romance, but then the consequences appearing is a very interesting one, it has a strong message. It was also well adapted to a more modern setting as opposed to the setting of the original novel, making it more relatable for the target audience. Despite the target audience likely being young adults interested in romance and drama moves alike, I think this is another movie that anybody can enjoy. Great and unique illustration as I expected from the director, in addition to a good mix of music and sounds and the corresponding scenes. I rate 8/10, would recommend to everybody.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Japan Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)