1. Post #41
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    You've got your opinions from a comedy video congratulations
    I got my opinions from knowing that splattering paint on a canvas and trying to pass it off as deep is fucking stupid.

Source of my opinion: My art classes when we went over this crap.

Edited:

go and do it and get the money
    I have enough self respect to not do that.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,657 Posts
    You know what else is cheap?

Buying a 40 x 40 canvas, doing nothing to it, and trying to pass that schlock off as art.
    idg why people get so upset about this when they don't even look at art to begin with

Edited:

i unsubscribed from h3h3 a few weeks ago. was subscribed for like 2 years i think? i really like ethan and hila but the show got too far afield of what it was when i subscribed. i think now that it's more produced it has less of a leg up on the things they're making fun of, it was relatable and authentic and made me feel better about being a shitty adult and now it's just a youtube channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #43

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,422 Posts
    these are not 1 million, but still really impressive:

4. Post #44
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    idg why people get so upset about this when they don't even look at art to begin with
    I dont get how people can defend literally throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks and passing it off as deep and complex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,099 Posts
    You've got your opinions from a comedy video congratulations

Edited:

go and do it and get the money
    you have to be an already well known artist or have some deep life story first; nobody is gonna buy the canvas you didnt do anything to if you are some random guy

but tie a big name to it or some conversation piece about an artists struggle and suddenly that canvas has more value to some random millionaire with a lot of disposable income

6. Post #46
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
    Quite a bit of modern art is just terrible.

-An unchiseled boulder
    -A woman having her period over a canvas
    -People running around in circles with their fingers up their ass
    -Random splatterings on a canvas
    -A signed urinal
    -A canvas painted entirely black
    is't even the worst that I've seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts
    I got my opinions from knowing that splattering paint on a canvas and trying to pass it off as deep is fucking stupid.

Source of my opinion: My art classes when we went over this crap.
    How can you go through an art class and end up with "modern art is shit" is beyond me.
    Or not recognizing that there is more to art than what's there on the canvas.
    There is a reason Pollock's work costs so much and it's not because of the paint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 4 (list)

8. Post #48
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    How can you go through an art class and end up with "modern art is shit" is beyond me.
    Because im autonomous and can form my own opinions. Especially about shit.

I only respect art when its clear that actual effort went into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
    There is a reason Pollock's work costs so much and it's not because of the paint.
    People being willing to pay for something doesn't automatically make something good art in my eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,434 Posts
    Hey come on everyone its just a goof
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,099 Posts
    the art has value because people with no sense of the value of money spend excessive amounts of money on it

see i thought it was because of the great amount of work, time, skill, and effort that went into insitigating a meaningful (and not hamfisted cliche like 'society is trash' or 'money makes us evil') message between the artist and audience
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts
    People being willing to pay for something doesn't automatically make something good art in my eyes.
    It's not good because it costs a lot.
    It's good because Pollock was one of the most influential American painters and as one of the first abstract expressionist seperated America's art from what could be found on the old continent.
    It costs a lot because it's a milestone.

also
    Modern art: 1860s - 1970s
    Contemporary art: 1970s - Now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Yeah tbh i wasn't really feeling this one. "Haha "art" am I right haha!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #54
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    It's not good because it costs a lot.
    It's good because Pollock was one of the most influential American painters and as one of the first abstract expressionist seperated America's art from what could be found on the old continent.
    It costs a lot because it's a milestone.
    You literally just said its good because its a thing that exists.

You cant come up with a real, solid argument for why its actually good, can you?

It will always be inferior to actual honest to god, blood/sweat/tears artwork.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Reminds me of these conservative pages I used to follow on Facebook to see what Batshit crazy things they'd say and it was no different "real art takes EFFORT"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    Reminds me of these conservative pages I used to follow on Facebook to see what Batshit crazy things they'd say and it was no different "real art takes EFFORT"
    How is that batshit to say.

Excuse me for wanting to see effort put into something instead of whipping a brush around and passing it off as having some meaning beyond our mortal understanding?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts

Excuse me for wanting to see effort put into something instead of whipping a brush around and passing it off as having some meaning beyond our mortal understanding?
    I'm going to quote someone else on this

Art Modern art is different art, no doubt. In the past century more and more artists have started using more modern styles: minimalism, cubism, and impressionism being the more obvious. These styles are extremely different from previous styles practiced before, of course. However, this does not mean that the minimalists, the cubists, or the impressionists are not artists and their works not art.
    I would like to use music as an example. Instrumental music has changed a lot since the days of Mozart and Beethoven. If we compare their works to that of, say, Steve Reich's, the differences are drastic. This does not mean that either of them are not art, of course. Reich's pieces are excellent art. Even if they are in a minimalist style, it is still music. And music is very much art.
    Just because you don't personally like it doesn't mean it's not art.

Edited:

Either way Art is about expression not effort
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    2,860 Posts
    I'd like to point out that over 60% of this entire thread has been an argument about art. Also

Edit: Make that two thirds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts

I didnt say its not art.

Im saying its dumb fucking shit art that has no real value or worth because its effortless to do and stupid people eat it up.

Excuse me for wanting people to put actual time and skill into something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

20. Post #60
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts

Edited:

Either way Art is about expression not effort
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA8SI_KvqI

This video goes into how modern art with effort and talent can be great. Such art exists.

However, signing a Urinal is stupid. Perhaps its too deep for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts
    Modern art is art by its definition, a blank canvas could be considered art if its deliberately left blank. But such art doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't show much creativity. I like being able to see someones creativity or skill without having someone explain it to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Damn son, you really got your panties in a twist over people doing and enjoying art you don't like.

"Wow people enjoy and value things i dont they're idiots"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

23. Post #63
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts

I just explained to you what influence Pollock had on your country and why his work costs so much.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,657 Posts

Almost a hundred years ago Duchamp, the legitimately amazing artist he was, installed a urinal in one of his showings to fuck with people like you who need art to reflect this, like, visceral penchant for toil and suffering and labor defining the worth of anything. Who cares, anyway? How does it affect you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Like seriously Aaron your entire argument is "what PLEBS for making art that I don't like it's all dumb and they're worthless idiots PANDER TO ME!!!!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    I pulled my testicle out of my ballsack in my dreams
    May 2007
    9,501 Posts
    this argument is a piece of art
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
    Almost a hundred years ago Duchamp, the legitimately amazing artist he was, installed a urinal in one of his showings to fuck with people like you who need art to reflect this, like, visceral penchant for toil and suffering and labor defining the worth of anything. Who cares, anyway? How does it affect you?
    Governments spend money on this art and fund the institutions that train artists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    this argument is a piece of art
    Screencap it, print it, frame it, ebay it.

29. Post #69
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    The hell are you talking about?

30. Post #70
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANA8SI_KvqI

This video goes into how modern art with effort and talent can be great. Such art exists.

However, signing a Urinal is stupid. Perhaps its too deep for me.
    The most popular interpretation of the urinal piece is pretty simple and I think it's something you will like.
    The artist is a not great creator—Duchamp went shopping at a plumbing store. The artwork is not a special object—it was mass-produced in a factory. The experience of art is not exciting and ennobling—at best it is puzzling and mostly leaves one with a sense of distaste. But over and above that, Duchamp did not select just any ready-made object to display. In selecting the urinal, his message was clear: Art is something you piss on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    The hell are you talking about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    Like seriously Aaron your entire argument is "what PLEBS for making art that I don't like it's all dumb and they're worthless idiots PANDER TO ME!!!!"
    I dont give a shit if the arts tailored to me, i give a shit about art that takes no time and effort recieving so much attention and praise over artists who actually spend years perfecting their craft and skillset.

Its SHIT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,657 Posts
    Governments spend money on this art and fund the institutions that train artists.
    oh my god ranger i'm not doing this with you again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,721 Posts
    Modern art is art by its definition, a blank canvas could be considered art if its deliberately left blank. But such art doesn't appeal to me because it doesn't show much creativity. I like being able to see someones creativity or skill without having someone explain it to me.
    What I learned in my college art class was basically "anything can be considered art, but you don't have to consider it GOOD art".

A lot of people think that just because it's classified as art (which is a hard thing to define in the first place) we should respect it, but that's absolutely not the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    I dont give a shit if the arts tailored to me, i give a shit about art that takes no time and effort recieving so much attention and praise over artists who actually spend years perfecting their craft and skillset.

Its SHIT.
    There are multiple styles of art man, and some people do actually enjoy modern and contemporary styles of art and enjoy making pieces in those styles.

"WHERE ARE THE REAL ARTISTS, the DAVINCHIS WHY ARE THEY MAKING ART I DONT LIIIKE WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE ART I DONT THEY'RE UNCULTURED PLEBS"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts
    If it wasn't for artists you would have to draw lolis in MSpaint to bust your nut lol

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Poland Show Events Dumb x 21Funny x 2Zing x 2Winner x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    There are multiple styles of art man, and some people do actually enjoy modern and contemporary styles of art and enjoy making pieces in those styles.
    Yeah?

You think i dont know that?

You think because theres different types of art that i automatically have to give them my respect?

Thats insulting.

WHERE ARE THE REAL ARTISTS, the DAVINCHIS WHY ARE THEY MAKING ART I DONT LIIIKE WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE ART I DONT THEY'RE UNCULTURED PLEBS"
    Why are people praising zero effort shlock.

Thats what im saying.

Its zero effort shlock. Zero.

Edited:

If it wasn't for artists you would have to draw lolis in MSpaint to bust your nut lol
    What the fuck.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Aaron what's your favorite band/musician
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

39. Post #79
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,785 Posts
    Why are people praising zero effort shlock.

Thats what im saying.

Its zero effort shlock. Zero.
    Can I get an example?

What the fuck.
    I had to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    Aaron what's your favorite band/musician
    I dont really have one in particular, why.