1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts

What is The Witness?
    The Witness is a first-person puzzle game developed by Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid. The game has been in development since 2009, and Blow claims he's spent all of the money he made on Braid for this. The player explores an open-world island filled with simple maze puzzles that become increasingly sophisticated as the game goes on. It is heavily inspired by Myst. The game aims to hold the player's hand as little as possible - no tutorials, tips, or hints.

How long is the game?
    The game has over 600 puzzles, although they aren't all required to complete the game. Jonathan Blow estimates that it will take the average player over 70 hours to get 100% completion. His 100% speedrun of the game took him 7 hours.

On what platforms will The Witness be released?
    PS4 and PC at launch, with iOS at a later date. Other platforms are also a possibility in the future.

How much will it cost?
    The game will cost $39.99 / 36.99 / 29.99 on PC and PSN.

When is it out?
    January 26. Next week!

Videos:

Screenshots:

Dev Blog
    Steam page
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    GAME'S OUT IN 2 DAYS, REVIEW EMBARGO IS UP TOMORROW, WHO'S EXCITED????

Here's a picture of Jonathan Blow's urine to pass the time!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

3. Post #3

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,419 Posts
    GAME'S OUT IN 2 DAYS, REVIEW EMBARGO IS UP TOMORROW, WHO'S EXCITED????

Here's a picture of Jonathan Blow's urine to pass the time!

what the fuck, why did he post that?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    what the fuck, why did he post that?
    Letting his fans know how dedicated he is to this game.

We got a 10/10 on the way, folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2015
    132 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    16,587 Posts
    I actually cared for a bit until I read that it was going to be $39.99

l m a o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    I actually cared for a bit until I read that it was going to be $39.99

l m a o
    What's wrong with that? If what they're saying about the game's content is true, that's more than enough to justify a $40 price point. I can understand why you'd be hesitant when the game even isn't out yet but I'm personally on board because it sounds like I'll get more out of this game than some $60 AAA games.

The Talos Principle is a similar game and that was $40 as well. Portal 2 was $50 on PC and $60 on consoles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,302 Posts
    That particular screenshot of the island really reminds me of Myst, it gives off a strong vibe.

9. Post #9
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    16,587 Posts
    What's wrong with that? If what they're saying about the game's content is true, that's more than enough to justify a $40 price point. I can understand why you'd be hesitant when the game even isn't out yet but I'm personally on board because it sounds like I'll get more out of this game than some $60 AAA games.

The Talos Principle is a similar game and that was $40 as well. Portal 2 was $50 on PC and $60 on consoles.
    And I've got 0 hours in TTP, and a measly 29 hours in Portal 2.
    The thing about Puzzle games is that once I finish them, I feel like there's less reason to replay them instead of even replaying a different game. They stop being puzzles after you finish them. After that, it's just methodically doing things to progress because you already know what to do. In other games, you can make up shit to do like "only use X" or something else. Like, for example, the various character builds in Bethesda games. You can go melee only, you can be stealthy, you can be ranged, you can be a pyro, etc. Hell, even in a linear game like HL2, you can do some shit like a crowbar only run or, if you're on PC, other one-weapon runs without worrying about ammo, etc. In a puzzle game, those sorts of things aren't exactly things you can do. I guess if you believe in "a dollar an hour" then sure, this game might be for you, considering Blow's speedrun took 7 hours, but I'm more partial to "if I pay $40 for something I'd better be somewhere in the hundreds of hours for this to be a good purchase" and I don't see myself replaying this due to its nature as a puzzle game.

I suppose you're right, to many people a $40 price point can definitely be justified for this, but not for me personally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,272 Posts
    Looks like the embargoes expired, mostly positive reviews across the board.
    I'm intrigued, I wonder if I'm fit for this game's philosophical theme and design.

11. Post #11
    April 2014
    141 Posts
    Artstyle is wonderful but gameplay sounds meh to me. I hate puzzles and usually skip them with the power of google in games that shoehorn them on me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    Artstyle is wonderful but gameplay sounds meh to me. I hate puzzles and usually skip them with the power of google in games that shoehorn them on me.
    Well, it's a puzzle game so I don't know what else you're expecting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Deductive Genius
    November 2009
    4,446 Posts
    With all the good reviews, I'm really debating ordering this tonight. I've been interested in the game since it was announced and been on the fence.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    Giant Bomb quick look:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,778 Posts
    I watched that Quick Look, and the part of me that misses Myst/Riven/Uru got twinged. Had to buy it just because of that, really. Now I've got 2.8GB left in the download.

16. Post #16
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,750 Posts
    Anyone know the solution to the first puzzle in the desert temple..?? The wheel looking thing?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    I've played the first hour of it, just activated the first laser, and it's pretty awesome so far. I really like how the panels slowly ease you into concepts before ramping up the challenge.

Edited:

And the game looks beautiful. Runs good on PS4, looks like a constant 60 FPS.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    So, I'm assuming that every new maze element has the same kind of basic introduction like the black and white cubes do at the start. If so, where is the place that introduces you to how those tetris-like shapes work?

Edited:

Nvm found it

Edited:

How the hell do you do this puzzle?
    https://i.gyazo.com/b03959c933c6aa60...7cc79e90b7.png
    The way in the picture should work but it just doesn't accept it for some reason.

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    709 Posts
    Found the ending already:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    That's pretty fucking cool for a secret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!
    March 2008
    4,750 Posts
    Yeah, the desert temple is impossible to do for me. Shadows aren't working on my AMD card (Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC), so it's literally not possible to find the solution.

Great one day fuck-up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2014
    141 Posts
    Well, it's a puzzle game so I don't know what else you're expecting.
    Nothing, it just looks good visually but I wont buy it just for the grafix.

23. Post #23
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,283 Posts
    This will also support VR headsets (with the exception of the PSVR). Going to wait till March to play it in the Rift.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    I am completely stumped on this one, been at it for like an hour and I just cannot figure it out:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,593 Posts
    This game looks good but I'm not crazy for games like this. I might buy it if it goes on sale.
    Visually, the game looks amazing

26. Post #26
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    10,461 Posts
    Lol Fez is a daily deal today.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,391 Posts
    Holy christ, the castle super puzzle has me stumped. Not the hedge maze one - I got that - but the other. Some of the shapes it's asking for seem impossible. Hell, now that I've found the shapes tutorial some of the tutorial ones seem impossible.

4 lasers in and I'm already getting rocked.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, I get an answer that doesn't seem right but is. Frustrating, but at least the others afterward made sense.

EDIT2: After going back to it, it's straight up a bugged solution. Disappointing for a tutorial section.

EDIT3: Disregard that, I'm an idiot. Boy this is going to be a rough game.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    So far I've activated three lasers ("symmetry" area, the desert ruins, and the grass mazes. The other areas seem goddamn hard.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,035 Posts
    Holy shit I just discovered what the hexagonal room underneath the windmill is for. Whoa.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,652 Posts
    So far I've activated three lasers ("symmetry" area, the desert ruins, and the grass mazes. The other areas seem goddamn hard.
    I took a quick look-around the desert ruins and didn't know what the fuck was up, so I went exploring.

I ended up in the grass mazes and am now stuck on the very last one. I'm calling it a night there.

This game is visually pleasing, and the puzzles make you feel great when you figure them out after review.

31. Post #31
    Yeah, this game is better than Braid IMO even though it has the same sorta puzzle feeling to it. Something about it being way more of a mystery is so much more enticing. Plus this looks beautiful.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,778 Posts
    Thoughts so far:

Line puzzles manage to change themselves up enough to make them mostly new and interesting, but if you absolutely hate the puzzles you will hate the game. Thankfully I like them.

So far have managed to activate two lasers. Desert temple and symmetry place.

Mechanic spoiler:    Holy shit, the first time I found out about the perspective puzzles was at the desert temple. Casually getting the sun to reflect off the temple's icon and then going "what happens if I click it?" just sort of blew my mind.   

This game is going to give me so many headaches.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,730 Posts
    I love this game's    boat   , more games should have    boats    like this.

also getting the perspective things while riding the boat was really cool   

Edited:

Well I beat it in about 14 hours. I think I got all but one of the lasers, some of the puzzles in the town were too hard.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    Holy christ, the castle super puzzle has me stumped. Not the hedge maze one - I got that - but the other. Some of the shapes it's asking for seem impossible. Hell, now that I've found the shapes tutorial some of the tutorial ones seem impossible.

4 lasers in and I'm already getting rocked.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, I get an answer that doesn't seem right but is. Frustrating, but at least the others afterward made sense.

EDIT2: After going back to it, it's straight up a bugged solution. Disappointing for a tutorial section.

EDIT3: Disregard that, I'm an idiot. Boy this is going to be a rough game.
    Is this the one you thought was bugged?
    https://embed.gyazo.com/b03959c933c6...7cc79e90b7.png
    Cause I'm there too and I can't think of any other possible solution which just makes that seem like it's broken.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,730 Posts
    Is this the one you thought was bugged?
    https://embed.gyazo.com/b03959c933c6...7cc79e90b7.png
    Cause I'm there too and I can't think of any other possible solution which just makes that seem like it's broken.
    I think you're misunderstanding the mechanic. It did take me a long time to figure out exactly how these work, here's a little hint.    The shapes cannot overlap   

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    I think you're misunderstanding the mechanic. It did take me a long time to figure out exactly how these work, here's a little hint.    The shapes cannot overlap   
    What? But I've solved a few of the previous example puzzles with    them overlapping. Did I completely misunderstand how the shapes work? And if so, how else would that one work? There isn't enough space for the 3-block pieces to fit under the line piece if they can't overlap.   

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,819 Posts
    Oh damn had no idea it was getting released this week. I really love games like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,139 Posts
    I've seen some people dislike the fact that the puzzles are generally the same idea just with different rules but I personally love it, can't put my finger on why though.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,668 Posts
    I've seen some people dislike the fact that the puzzles are generally the same idea just with different rules but I personally love it, can't put my finger on why though.
    That's not even the true though, those people probably have only played the first 30 minutes or so, the puzzles get waaaaaaaay past just the basic idea really quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,391 Posts
    What? But I've solved a few of the previous example puzzles with    them overlapping. Did I completely misunderstand how the shapes work? And if so, how else would that one work? There isn't enough space for the 3-block pieces to fit under the line piece if they can't overlap.   
    That's not the puzzle I meant. Mine was in the tutorial row, second side, like 2nd or 3rd panel. And as for that puzzle:    No, shapes cannot overlap. They can stick together so long as that shape's symbol is in the shape, but said shape doesn't have to touch its symbol. I didn't understand that for the tutorial bit and accidentally hit a solution that followed that rule, but hadn't taught it yet. For the puzzle you linked it would be    DOUBLE SPOILER DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU READ THE PREVIOUS    An L shape with a fat vertical part. The two three bars would make the vertical bit and the 4 bar would make the base. Since those symbols all exist within that final shape, where those shapes exist within it doesn't matter.   

I've since beaten the game and made a lot more sense of it.