1. Post #1
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    Protesters shut down the westbound lanes of the Bay Bridge just east of Treasure Island. Protesters announced just before 4 p.m. they had shut down Bay Bridge traffic heading into San Francisco. They posted photos of several protesters chained to cars stopped across the bridge.

Members of protest groups Black Seed and the Black Queer Liberation Collective took responsibility for the protest in a statement, citing recent police shootings.

"We are here to move towards an increase in the health and wellbeing of all Black people in Oakland & San Francisco," the groups wrote in a statement. They are demanding divestment of city funds in policing, investment in affordable housing, the resignation of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, the termination of San Francisco police Chief Greg Suhr and Oakland police Chief Sean Whent and the termination of police officers involved in several recent shootings.
    NBC Bay Area

By now, three of the lanes have been reopened, but all of the protesters are still on the bridge, having been detained and moved to the side.
    Live Stream

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    Tesla Jesus
    May 2007
    5,106 Posts
    "Piss them off! That'll make them empathize with us!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 48 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,476 Posts
    Ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    November 2007
    12,116 Posts
    I don't think they're trying to convenience these people. I don't agree necessarily (don't care tbh) with how they're doing this, but it's pretty obvious the point of this was attention. Maybe they believe the ends justify the means.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,489 Posts
    San Fran does have a poor problem, but it doesn't matter what creed you are, you're poor you're poor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

6. Post #6

April 2015
    2,887 Posts
    Protest on city Hall, not on the Bridge. Guess what... you are doing what #BlackLivesMatters does and they have become a joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    25,205 Posts
    They are demanding divestment of city funds in policing, investment in affordable housing, the resignation of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, the termination of San Francisco police Chief Greg Suhr and Oakland police Chief Sean Whent and the termination of police officers involved in several recent shootings.
    Because that's realistic. The only decent thing in there is the complaint of housing costs, which are bullshit. The demand to cut policing, fire the mayor, police chiefs, and all officers that discharge their weapons are crazy. Lethal force should not be a choice between "Should I risk being killed, or end my career?".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 38 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,918 Posts
    Wow it's almost like they're protesting or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    18,704 Posts
    wow it's almost like they completely miss the point with these protests.

what does blocking a bridge have to do with protesting that the police chief and the mayor of oakland should resign?

if they want to protest, they should be doing it at the police department or the city council, not a bridge.

do you know why mlk jr and civil rights activists protested at diners and bus stops? because they segregated and refused to serve black people. protesting at these venues because they directly contributed to the problem at hand was an effective plan because these businesses would lose a lot of money. what does protesting on a bridge with people who have nothing to do with your cause do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 67 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,988 Posts
    Protest on city Hall, not on the Bridge. Guess what... you are doing what #BlackLivesMatters does and they have become a joke.
    Yeah but that would make sense (also they might not even much attention this way). This protest is really dumb though, in the 60s protests were much less disruptive to daily life, they could take a few lessons from history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Australia Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,120 Posts
    Worked for MLK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2013
    6,369 Posts
    Their behavior doesn't make me want to support their cause, it makes me want to support long term sentences of people who block off major roadways, potentially putting people in danger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts
    I forgot the point of protesting was to turn yourself into the villain, not the entity you're protesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,120 Posts
    I forgot the point of protesting was to turn yourself into the villain, not the entity you're protesting.
    A lot of people hated MLK for his protests though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,566 Posts
    White kids with dreads. Always a staple of protests
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 19 (list)

16. Post #16
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,967 Posts
    The racists he was protesting against?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts
    but they still had some sort of effect, whether to raise support or otherwise impact the enemy. MLK inspired controversy, meanwhile the response to these protests are pretty much unanimously negative

they didnt even put their banners anywhere they'd be easy to read and not get blown around in the wind (ie the back of their cars) I'd be amazed if this "protest" had even five minutes of planning or thought put into it, rather than just being a bunch of children getting off on the idea of being ~radical~

if your concern is being treated unfairly by the police, what effect at all is making people want to run you over and laugh at you when you get arrested going to have?

18. Post #18
    I think the south won the civil war and I love Ronald Reagan
    January 2010
    448 Posts
    The racists he was protesting against?
    The 'white moderates' that MLK speaks of. The ones who would complain about his methods, rallying around the ideal of 'order'. I wonder if that sort of person sounds familiar...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,655 Posts
    protest groups alienate themselves by donning names that make people cringe, they tend to overact before building support, overemphasize their importance, miscalculate their effect and so on, play as stereotypes of themselves. i think all of these things are true in this case but i wish every thread on civil protest wasn't so indignant at the concept of protesting itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts
    The 'white moderates' that MLK speaks of. The ones who would complain about his methods, rallying around the ideal of 'order'. I wonder if that sort of person sounds familiar...
    believe it or not, mlk's protests actually had planning and logic put into them, and not just a bunch of kids running amok without organization or structure

the issue isnt that these protests are inconveniencing people, its that they have no logic whatsoever nor do they have any positive effect on their campaign

but i know repeatedly parroting this is the only way you know how to respond to criticism of farcical "protests" like this and its the only response such criticism ever gets, that we dont like it because we're the ones getting protested, so i dont expect you to actually have any idea as to what sort of gain they'll see from this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Germany Show Events Starred Starred x 11 (list)

21. Post #21
    I think the south won the civil war and I love Ronald Reagan
    January 2010
    448 Posts
    ded

22. Post #22
    July 2015
    365 Posts
    Hey sorry, I know this may be hard for you to understand, but these sorts of events do have logic and planning put into them. Want to know the logic? Getting your message out there means getting noticed. Believe it or not, you won't get noticed if you have some obscure rally in whatever place the city allows you to. Now, what will get you noticed is either A) Mass Action or B) Disruptive Action. Nobody is saying you don't like it because you are the one being protested. These are not protests against white people. These are not protests against white liberals. These are protests against systemic racism. Now unless you'r the embodiment of systemic racism, I don't think they are targeting you.

This action is obviously created to get attention. Now whether or not this group will make good use of their attention, I couldn't say. And no, they are not trying to get attention from you. They are not trying to get attention from liberals. They are trying to get attention from, mainly, those affected by what it is they are protesting and those who they are protesting. And yeah, this does work. Getting an organization out there like this is effective, and this is something organizations use. Effectively used, this would lead to growing the organization and having other demonstrations (marches or whatever). That is how change is made. Not by sitting back and protesting in the little marked protest area where nobody gives a shit and nobody feels like anything is achieved. Again, I can't say whether or no this group specifically is utilizing this tactic effectively, but groups do.

Okay, but in what way did a bridge actively facilitate systemic racism?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,614 Posts
    Okay, but in what way did a bridge actively facilitate systemic racism?
    Bridges are endemic of system racism because on average more white people use the bridge to cross from one side to the other than other races.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    October 2009
    4,300 Posts
    Fuckin' awesome. Direct action gets the goods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,011 Posts
    Stupidity however does not.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2011
    3,076 Posts
    Bridges are endemic of system racism because on average more white people use the bridge to cross from one side to the other than other races.
    I hope this is a joke..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,442 Posts
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It is fitting to see them not violently protesting today.

Edited:

Yeah but that would make sense (also they might not even much attention this way). This protest is really dumb though, in the 60s protests were much less disruptive to daily life, they could take a few lessons from history.
    I can agree with this, but they do it because they don't get attention and don't get taken seriously. If they were to be more traditional and less disobedient about it, no one would give a shit. Cue the riots, and then people saying, "these people are animals!" And all without really understanding that they are the source of the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,859 Posts
    yeah fuck those ambulances needing to go to the hospital or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,442 Posts
    yeah fuck those ambulances needing to go to the hospital or whatever.
    I'm wondering if something like this could have been said about the MLK marches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    2,873 Posts
    -Welp I'm apparently Incorrect-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    November 2007
    12,116 Posts
    King would be disappointed
    I don't think you knew King enough to say this tbh.

32. Post #32
    July 2013
    5,569 Posts
    They were also a fuck ton bigger, nowadays protests are lucky to get more than a thousand people (US Protests that is). As much as I wish they wouldn't disrupt the daily rush, I don't think they will be able to get the same message across as massive groups of people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,696 Posts
    Great way to gain supporters, right there.

Edited:

My boss hasn't given me a raise in the last 6 months - hope you don't mind if I go and sit in your front door all day, shouting on a megaphone and chaining myself to your fence, yes?

'Cause someone told me that I should protest in my office, but it makes too much sense, so I'll prefer to do the right thing and just protest in front of your house, that way *you* get to acknowledge my hardships.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    10,994 Posts
    "I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: 'I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action'; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a 'more convenient season.' Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection." - MLK Jr, Letter from Birmingham Jail

Lot of folks in this thread don't know the first thing about MLK or his tactics. Blocking public roads was part and parcel of his methods, and people making hypotheticals about ambulances or saying that annoying people doesn't help you are making the exact same arguments used against MLK's civil disobedience in the 60s. You're arguing essentially that MLK's leadership worked against the goals of the civil rights movement and it's clear to see that that wasn't the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    what does protesting on a bridge with people who have nothing to do with your cause do?
    in the 60s protests were much less disruptive to daily life, they could take a few lessons from history.
    Their behavior doesn't make me want to support their cause, it makes me want to support long term sentences of people who block off major roadways, potentially putting people in danger.
    Stupidity however does not.
    Great way to gain supporters, right there.

1965. 51 Years Ago.

Edited:

The fact that so many of you are willing to dismiss this protest because it doesn't meet with your fabric of "whiney facebook posts and letters of petition to state hall" style of protesting is fucking disgusting.

Why do you think these protests were successful? Because they got in people's minds that something was wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 17 (list)

36. Post #36
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,442 Posts
    Yeah, the only real difference is number. If it's "annoying" and all of these protests are following suit, the best thing to do would be to deal with it before it gets violent or otherwise worse.

A lot of people have this conclusion that it's simply a matter of ego, but this falls back to not taking them seriously and contributes to the cycle of protest. Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

37. Post #37
    July 2015
    365 Posts
    Yeah, the only real difference is number. If it's "annoying" and all of these protests are following suit, the best thing to do would be to deal with it before it gets violent or otherwise worse.
    But we don't negotiate with terrorists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2014
    965 Posts
    lol @ the "mlk wouldn't approve" posts.

FP in the 1960s posted:
    Wow did they really think it be ok to just march down the road from Selma to Montgomery and cause that kind of disruption? I'm glad those hero state police stopped them at the Edmund Pettus bridge with overwhelming force. Now I hear that trouble maker MLK is coming down to the support the march, these people really aren't looking to make friends. #alllivesmater
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Starred Starred x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    November 2007
    12,116 Posts
    These past few posts put it so well. Haven't seen such a concise shut down in FP history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Starred Starred x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Well, what had happened was.....
    February 2009
    4,816 Posts
    These past few posts put it so well. Haven't seen such a concise shut down in FP history.
    Honestly, they are just non-arguments trying to paint people as racists because they think that this type of protest, while effective at one time, is no longer effective and does nothing but hurt the image of the people doing it. It's like trying to shut down an argument by invoking Godwin's Law. It's a gigantic logical fallacy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Starred Starred x 4 (list)