1. Post #3001
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,712 Posts
    ooft buddy that's a strong start. where you've boosted the shadows with the brush tool is pretty obvious though

it's always nice to see my home on the facepunch tho
    Yeah I'm conflicted about the brush/radial exposure increases. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I look back and think its too obvious and takes away from the scene. I'm only living in Edinburgh another 2 months before moving to America so I'm trying to take as many good photos as I can before then.

The guy's on SomethingAwful agree about the halo's detracting from the image so I'll make sure to be more careful when doing that next time.

2. Post #3002
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    This is Max
    128462 by Richard Petrosino, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3003
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,712 Posts
    I went back and redid the post-processing on the skyline picture and I think it looks a bit better now.

Storm Shrouding Light by Nathan Nixon, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #3004
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,378 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #3005
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    716 Posts

Finally got the negatives I took months ago scanned properly, and it's really interesting to see what kind of stuff came out of them.

These were the first rolls I ever shot and out of 70 something crappy photos, these few appealed to me the most.

Last one is yours truly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3006
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    Here's a car.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #3007
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    653 Posts
    I went back and redid the post-processing on the skyline picture and I think it looks a bit better now.
    In my opinion it still looks a bit over done but don't worry about that picture anymore. Go take more much better ones! You've got a great start and seem to be exploring your environment very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #3008
    January 2012
    1,956 Posts

I did something cool but i wish i could improve the quality abit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #3009

January 2014
    419 Posts
    Hey guys, long time, no see! I saw a cool motorcycle today. :)

Motorcycle on a Cold Day by Julian M., on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #3010
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    kirby use your words pls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #3011
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    kirby use your words pls
    it's a poorly processed family snapshot with a boring subject and zero care given to framing

honestly can't just type up the same thing every time u post, think about the photo while ur taking it, not after

For woolio--

12. Post #3012
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    653 Posts
    Kirby, that's not constructive criticism. I could say the same things about the stuff you had when you just got started. From what I can see from <man>'s flickr this is the first time he's showing us his film stuff. Yes, the aren't great but almost no one was when they got started with film.

13. Post #3013
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    that's not film, was referring to lope's post near top of page

anyway, composition is separate from medium

lazy or uninspired comp isn't less damaging to a photo just because it was shot on a more challenging format

and yes, of course you could say the same thing about me when i began, and many did, which i feel is key-- when the photos are suffering from the same points every time, it becomes exhausting to write out a long post

i'll get to <man> later-- not unkindly   

14. Post #3014

January 2014
    419 Posts
    Kirby, yes please, use your words.

I'm always thrilled when someone rates my posts, regardless of rating. But if you think it's dumb, or bad, or whatever, please tell me why.

Anyways, still from a short film I'm working on.

Depression by Julian M., on Flickr

15. Post #3015
    March 2014
    3,530 Posts

Flying out to Vegas on Thursday, stoked to have my camera around some sun and verticality.

16. Post #3016
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    5,575 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

17. Post #3017
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    it's a poorly processed family snapshot with a boring subject and zero care given to framing

honestly can't just type up the same thing every time u post, think about the photo while ur taking it, not after
    I'm not denying your criticism, but I did put effort into that composition. I intentionally centered him because I wanted it to feel like a macro shot of his face. I wanted to emphasize his eyes and the stare by placing him right in the center. I also intentionally snapped it when his hair was covering his face, he was taking a bite, and he was looking right into the lens. I thought that was what made it interesting. Seeing the playful-messy-ness of a child right up close. I don't really know how else you could capture a 3 year old doing something more interesting. The only thing I didn't really think of was the background-- which isn't great, but I couldn't do much else in the spur of the moment (it was hard enough to catch him not moving). This was one photo where I was actually very proud of my ability to compose, make interesting, and time so quickly and (what I thought) effectively.

18. Post #3018
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    Part 1: Portraits and people

I went out with some friends to shoot get me into shooting more models and I'm trying to crack into this whole thing. I feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes, but I was getting bored with what I usually do and decided to dive into something new. So any criticism is welcome. If it looks over edited I'm kinda trying to exagerate as a way of experimenting but do call it out too.

Some of these may have product placement.

typical portrait I guess? Ive been following some tutorials on youtube so it doesnt exactly look like it comes from me

Edited:

Part 2: Dump, playing with the flash

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #3019
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts

I can see your point.

I will admit, I'm not the best photographer. Talentless hack is a bit more accurate, at least compared to the other people I shoot with.

I've desperately been trying to improve. It's why I'm here.

20. Post #3020
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    I'm not denying your criticism, but I did put effort into that composition. I intentionally centered him because I wanted it to feel like a macro shot of his face. I wanted to emphasize his eyes and the stare by placing him right in the center. I also intentionally snapped it when his hair was covering his face, he was taking a bite, and he was looking right into the lens. I thought that was what made it interesting. Seeing the playful-messy-ness of a child right up close. I don't really know how else you could capture a 3 year old doing something more interesting. The only thing I didn't really think of was the background-- which isn't great, but I couldn't do much else in the spur of the moment (it was hard enough to catch him not moving). This was one photo where I was actually very proud of my ability to compose, make interesting, and time so quickly and (what I thought) effectively.
    I understand your thinking, and appreciate the effort behind understanding that you wanted to capture that childish chaos.

A suggestion for this type of thing, especially when you're not concerned with being flattering to your subject, is to use a wide angle lens, and get close. This will both emphasize how close you were, and show more of the background-- possibly furthering the story and feeling of the photo. (maybe a messed up room, scattered with toys, or whatever)

21. Post #3021
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    I think Kirby is right but one thing that is lacking is the lighting. If the fave had any interesting lighting going on, even if just direct sunlight, it would have improved it a lot more. Right now the shade and the lamp are much more attention grabbing than his dully lit face.
    Maybe you could look at other examples of photos you like and try to emulate their styles for a while. You'll always learn something. The thing about photography is that even though composition and color and lighting still count a lot compared to painting and drawing (sometimes more than), unless youre preplanning some shot extensively, you only take it into account a moment before shooting. And it requires little effort to just click a button. This means you can easily take tons of photos. What this means is that you have to be extra critical with your post selection. Only choose the best and if you're not satisfied, shoot more. I usually only get no more than 10 pictures frrom shooting around 300 a day (and this is just walking around, no model machine gunning)

Edited:

I can see your point.

I will admit, I'm not the best photographer. Talentless hack is a bit more accurate, at least compared to the other people I shoot with.

I've desperately been trying to improve. It's why I'm here.
    Check out https://www.instagram.com/minimalcar_mag/

Maybe it interests you. Just dont do it too much

22. Post #3022
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,913 Posts
    D3TBS, I like it. Your style still definitely show through with it but I'm wondering if you could push it even further and combine the two even more. Also, were u just using on-camera flash? I'm wondering what how u get that look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #3023
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    9,258 Posts
    Some photos I took on my DSLR after work yesterday, north fremantle rather has some cool stuff around...

24. Post #3024
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    D3TBS, I like it. Your style still definitely show through with it but I'm wondering if you could push it even further and combine the two even more. Also, were u just using on-camera flash? I'm wondering what how u get that look.
    Thanks man. I always felt like doing something street ish because it always looks cool but I arrived at the conclusion that I would be better off trying to combine what I have with something new. And also you can't really escape whatver you've been doing so I guess it's for the best.

I am using the on camera flash. It's actuslly pretty good if you turn it to manual and set it to full power. But I still havent totally got the hang of it, results vary according to what distance and focal rsnge you're in, as well as outside lighting conditions

25. Post #3025
    I am using the on camera flash. It's actuslly pretty good if you turn it to manual and set it to full power. But I still havent totally got the hang of it, results vary according to what distance and focal rsnge you're in, as well as outside lighting conditions
    Are you trying the high fashion magazine lighting style? Cause I always see them using flash hitting on the subjects without any softbox etc.

26. Post #3026
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #3027
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    716 Posts
    that's not film, was referring to lope's post near top of page

anyway, composition is separate from medium

lazy or uninspired comp isn't less damaging to a photo just because it was shot on a more challenging format

and yes, of course you could say the same thing about me when i began, and many did, which i feel is key-- when the photos are suffering from the same points every time, it becomes exhausting to write out a long post

i'll get to <man> later-- not unkindly   
    Please, I would love to get advice and critique. I do admit that was my first batch of film and I was just excited to finally see some results. Many of the photos weren't​ very thought out but I just enjoyed the process of shooting film. I've never considered myself more than a dabbling amateur but if you have tips for composition especially I am very welcome to them.

28. Post #3028
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,134 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #3029
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    5,575 Posts

bonus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #3030
    Fairy lights and chick with big rimmed glasses is all the rage these days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #3031
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,548 Posts
    hey if it's a trend it must be bad right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #3032
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    Are you trying the high fashion magazine lighting style? Cause I always see them using flash hitting on the subjects without any softbox etc.
    I'm not sure if it comes from fashion, usually I think of party photos from disposable cameras, I've seen people trying this technique in other contexts and I'm pretty much trying out too

33. Post #3033
    hey if it's a trend it must be bad right
    Lol I didn't mean that, there just isn't much creativity to it in the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #3034
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,134 Posts
    Would be nice if you had a useful critique to offer instead of just complaining to hear yourself talk.

As a side note, I think the tone that the last few pages have taken is interesting, there's a real kind of 'hard to please' attitude I feel, which might be pretty productive if one is able to detach themselves emotionally from their work a bit to focus on improving (personal challenge for me too)

35. Post #3035
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    Lol I didn't mean that, there just isn't much creativity to it in the end.
    i've never seen you post a pic let's see what you got beb

36. Post #3036
    ===
    This was a waste of $1
    December 2011
    1,370 Posts
    she's not wearing glasses?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #3037
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,228 Posts
    Now then, it's been a while since I posted here so here's some stuff I took last year and only just got around to finishing editing recently (because I'm a lazy fuck):

C&C welcome, let me know what you think. Enjoy

38. Post #3038
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    5,972 Posts
    I shot a comedy event back on Monday. I overestimated the lighting at the place as I didn't bring a flash and the only source of pure light was this harsh green spotlight that turned all of them into ogres, to say the least it was gonna be a black and white jobby.

[

Ellie Probert | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr

Ellie Probert | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr

Nathan Eagle | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr

Connor Armitstead | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr

Connor Armitstead | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr

Michael Frankland | Frog and Frigate | Southampton by Charlie Richards, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #3039
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,016 Posts
    Now then, it's been a while since I posted here so here's some stuff I took last year and only just got around to finishing editing recently (because I'm a lazy fuck):

C&C welcome, let me know what you think. Enjoy
    Nice colours!

Lulworth Cove?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #3040
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,228 Posts
    Nice colours!

Lulworth Cove?
    Yeah man! Was down there last June during those weeks where it was 29-30c. Beautiful countryside