1. Post #2481
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,917 Posts
    Damn, accidentally placed order on amazon for a GTX 980 Ti and an i7-6700K. Only wanted to see how much they will add up to.

Oh well that's like 40% of the entire VR set-up costs anyway. The rest of the computer and Vive will make up the rest. I just wont be able to enjoy the CPU until I build the rest of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

2. Post #2482
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts

Soon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #2483
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts

http://www.htcvive.com/us/product-optimized/

Pretty much exactly the same as the Rift specs, as expected.

They're also promoting a few systems that can power the Vive.

Edited:

This looks really cute

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2484
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts

http://www.htcvive.com/us/product-optimized/

Pretty much exactly the same as the Rift specs, as expected.
    Not really, the rift requires 2x USB 3.0 ports and 8GB of RAM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #2485
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,347 Posts
    So with both VR headsets prices out I wonder how well VR will actually do this time.
    I wrote something similar when the Oculus pre-order went live but I simply can't see VR pick up again.
    It could just end up laying around as some gimmick in half a year because there are simply not enough users to value any meaningful development time of software, let alone AAA VR games.

Edited:

Looks like Garry has a similar feeling.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 10Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2486
    foxcock
    January 2014
    8,404 Posts
    It still feels too early to make the final comparison, but here's a start:

Rift and Vive:
    Equivalent custom screens; FOV reported as slightly taller on Vive and slightly wider on Rift
    Equivalent custom lenses; some complained about Vive lenses but from a previous iteration of the hardware
    Controllers tracked in 3D space; Oculus's are sold separately, and Oculus comes with a wireless Xbox One controller.
    Some form of large volume tracking to walk around in; Vive is definitely completely capable of mapping your room; Too soon to say what quality for Oculus (should know within a month)

Vive:
    Potentially better room-scale capability
    Comes with fancy controllers by default
    Bulkier/heavier
    Comes with a single camera on the front for overlaying an outline of objects in your room, so that you can for example pick up a drink and put it down without removing the headset.

Rift:
    Potentially worse room-scale capability
    Fancy controllers sold separately
    Slimmer/lighter

Cost:
    Vive: 800$ (USA)
    Rift: 600$ (USA); fancy controllers expected to cost no more than 200$

Games:
    Titles are expected to mostly support both headsets, however:
    Titles designed specifically for the Vive will require lots of space in your room, but let you walk around
    Titles designed specifically for the Vive may not perform well on the Rift, if the Rift's spacial tracking turns out to be lacking
    The Rift seems to have more games in development, and certainly has larger budget development for what games have been shown off thus far. More game announcements over the next month.
    Most developers will want the most customers possible, and will target the Rift because it is cheaper and requires less open space inside your room to fully utilize by default.

Tidbits:
    Rift's "room-scale" requires the purchase of the fancy controllers, though it would be pointless without them
    Vive comes with a feature for taking phone calls, but I can't imagine that nobody would make a phone-app/pc-program combo for doing that on the Rift.
    Supposedly the Rift has less screen-door-effect due to its more developed lenses, but the Vive has a brighter screen. These details are ultimately still not worth basing your purchase decisions on, as they are minor differences that balance out.

TLDR:

Wait for more details, but the definite differences are in price and comfortability of design: Oculus Rift is cheaper and more comfrotable, but the HTC Vive has the passthrough camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #2487
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Rift has slightly less SDE, add that. Also the Vive's screens are a little brighter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #2488
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    So with both VR headsets prices out I wonder how well VR will actually do this time.
    I wrote something similar when the Oculus pre-order went live but I simply can't see VR pick up again.
    It could just end up laying around as some gimmick in half a year because there are simply not enough users to value any meaningful development time of software, let alone AAA VR games.

Edited:

This is the main reason I'm not pre-ordering. $600/$800 is a lot of money to spend on hope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

9. Post #2489
    foxcock
    January 2014
    8,404 Posts
    That's ignoring how the Rift (and presumably soon the Vive) preorders massively outsold expectations. Not to be too cliche, but perhaps if you tried out modern VR tech you'd feel more impressed.

That's also ignoring how Facebook (and Valve?) are spending shitloads of cash funding VR AAA game development, as we've already seen some exciting high quality titles announced, such as EVE: Valkyrie, and Edge of Nowhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

10. Post #2490
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts

If you're planning to buy one of them just to check out whatever demos you can find and then leave it then it'd be pretty fucking stupid to actually buy it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

11. Post #2491
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    Controllers tracked in 3D space; Oculus's are sold separately, and Oculus comes with a wireless Xbox 360 controller.
    *One
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #2492
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    are htc doing a soft launch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #2493
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    This is the main reason I'm not pre-ordering. $600/$800 is a lot of money to spend on hope.
    I've been using my Rift DK2 for two years now for all sorts of stuff. It's not like this tech is going to get less appealing now the consumer products and actual full games are hitting the market

Edited:

Samsung stream is starting. Scroll up to Orkel's post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2494
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,884 Posts

That's nice, he must be talking about the latest iMac or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #2495
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    Wow they just got everyone in the Samsung presentation to put on a GearVR for the S7 reveal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

16. Post #2496
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,082 Posts
    That's nice, he must be talking about the latest iMac or something.
    You're objectively wrong. The iMac doesn't belong ON a desk, it belongs on the side of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

17. Post #2497
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Wow they just got everyone in the Samsung presentation to put on a GearVR for the S7 reveal.
    Samsung is pushing VR harder than ever before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2498
    foxcock
    January 2014
    8,404 Posts
    Added information on the Vive's passthrough camera, forgot that somehow. Modified the tldr for it.

May be good to have a comparison like that kept up to date in the OP for curious newcomers, since these things are actually releasing and competing right now.

Edited:

not surprised at all to see nixnax shitposting
    shameful that the vr community can't stand objective comparisons from either side
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2499
    November 2014
    835 Posts
    nvm, they edited it out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hungary Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #2500
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    S7 uses Vulkan API! That's gotta be great for GearVR performance. Perhaps it can render 1440p instead of upscaling from 1080p like the S6?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #2501
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    60% faster GPU in the S7 and Vulkan API support.

22. Post #2502
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Oh shit, Tim Sweeney

Edited:

FREE GEARVR ON PREORDER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events

23. Post #2503
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,917 Posts
    Who would have thought that it would be Samsung spreading VR to the masses. If I needed a new phone and wasn't already investing in a Vive I would totally pre-order.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #2504
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    There's actually nothing at all new about the gear vr, just the phone itself is a bit more powerful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #2505
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    Seems VR stuff is up now. 360 camera for capturing GearVR videos (streaming even?) and images.

26. Post #2506
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    ZUCKERBERG

27. Post #2507
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts

galaxy s7 + gear vr = $970
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #2508
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    I guess that's it for VR at Samsung. No reveal of GearVR positional tracking, which I sorta hoped for. Guess Carmack needs more time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2509
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts

Well, as always in Scandinavia, 1$=1

It's 749/849 in Finland depending on model.

30. Post #2510
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) rip $5
    Dennab
    December 2009
    8,921 Posts

Passa p att frhandsboka Galaxy S7 eller S7 edge fre 10 mars - s fr du ett virtual reality-headset Gear VR* helt utan extra kostnad.

Take the opportunity to pre-order the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge before March 10 to get the virtual reality headset Gear VR * completely free of charge.

890 kronor is completely free of charge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #2511
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,672 Posts
    I guess that's it for VR at Samsung. No reveal of GearVR positional tracking, which I sorta hoped for. Guess Carmack needs more time.
    How would positional tracking work on that though? It's a phone and it can't really rely on any outside hardware for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Denmark Show Events

32. Post #2512
    July 2013
    787 Posts
    Samsung is pushing VR harder than ever before.
    I'd say so.

The newest snapchat filter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #2513
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    The headset has been sold in a few different flavors and now, it's getting some updated software courtesy of the team at Facebook. Over the next few weeks, the social network will be updating its 360-degree videos with "dynamic streaming" inside the Oculus Video player. If all goes to plan, the change should result in VR videos that are higher quality and more data efficient on the lightweight device.

"Dynamic streaming" requires Facebook to process and store all of its videos in multiple resolutions. It only shows the best version for the spot you're actually looking at -- the rest is a lower resolution file that's automatically swapped out as you look left and right. "By doing this, we've quadrupled the resolution quality of 360 streaming video in VR, while reducing the amount of required bandwidth by four times," a Facebook spokesperson said. "So videos look clearer and play faster." The Gear VR is perfectly portable, so this adaptive streaming should also help people to reduce their data consumption (and avoid hitting their monthly cap).
    Looks like 360 videos are getting a big upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #2514
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,615 Posts
    i don't know if i will be able to immediately drop $800 on the vive but i'm definitely saving up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #2515
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    How do I check if my oculus pre-order got a bump up the list?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #2516
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    I think I still want to get a Rift. Not only is it cheaper, but it's built for seated or standing use, so I don't have to worry about missing out on room scale titles because I don't have a big empty room to walk around in. It looks like Vive development is focusing heavily on room-scale, which is definitely cool, but I've got a three room apartment and that won't work for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #2517
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    I think I still want to get a Rift. Not only is it cheaper, but it's built for seated or standing use, so I don't have to worry about missing out on room scale titles because I don't have a big empty room to walk around in. It looks like Vive development is focusing heavily on room-scale, which is definitely cool, but I've got a three room apartment and that won't work for me.
    I gotta figure most sitting/standing titles that work on the Rift will also work on the Vive (eventually), but yeah if you dont have room you dont have room.

That said, I also live in a three room apartment, and If I move shit out of the middle of the living room (coffee table, etc) and shove the couch in the corner, I have a nice ~9ft-8ft space that should do nicely for room-scale
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

38. Post #2518
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    I gotta figure most sitting/standing titles that work on the Rift will also work on the Vive (eventually), but yeah if you dont have room you dont have room.

That said, I also live in a three room apartment, and If I move shit out of the middle of the living room (coffee table, etc) and shove the couch in the corner, I have a nice ~9ft-8ft space that should do nicely for room-scale
    I could probably do that as well, but then I have to shove furniture around, and be careful not to trip over things, and it just becomes a hassle. I'd rather have something I can leave on my desk, and put on when I want to play something like Lucky's Tale or Elite: Dangerous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2519
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    I could probably do that as well, but then I have to shove furniture around, and be careful not to trip over things, and it just becomes a hassle. I'd rather have something I can leave on my desk, and put on when I want to play something like Lucky's Tale or Elite: Dangerous.
    my concern is that there dont really seem to be many sit-down games that are particular compelling apart from cockpit sims. I haven't really been blown away by Lucky's Tale or Edge of Nowhere, and they really haven't announced sit down titles other than those.

Im not sure if it's just that the current buzz has been revolving around room-scale and stand-up more, but I dont think we've had a single sit-down game announced since late last year (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #2520
    December 2014
    4,796 Posts
    Like, if you want to get a Rift, get a Rift, but why pretend it's about seated vs roomscale when you know fully well that the Vive does seated/standing just as well as the Rift? People keep making this fallacious comparison that if you want to enjoy seated/standing, you get a Rift, and if you want roomscale, you get a Vive, when in reality the Vive can do both (and its looking like the Rift may do both as well come Touch release.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)