1. Post #2441
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,681 Posts
    So we're probably looking at 699 and 799 plus delivery.
    Rift went from 599 dollar to 700 euros. So I expect the Vive to cost 900 eurobucks.
    HTC has a global presence for shipping and retail that Oculus does not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

2. Post #2442
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    the vr market must suck for europeans compared to us americans
    Moah, we pay more for electronics in general. That doesn't really change.

Edited:

Taxes and tariffs don't change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #2443
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,295 Posts
    im pretty sure my dk2 was shipped from ireland

consoles keep a reasonable price parity they should be able to do the same with vr headsets especially oculus as they are backed by facebook and not exactly short of cash
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #2444
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    our currency is really strong at the moment, stuff in the us isn't really cheaper than over here
    but with the import tax, import toll, shipping costs, and administrative fees, it's just not worth getting a vr headset until they start shipping from inside sweden here

i'm gonna continue waiting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Sweden Show Events

5. Post #2445
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    I don't expect room-scale will become a common standard though. Any VR game wanting to target the whole desktop VR market will at least support standing experiences too. Being able to walk around is nice (still restrictive though) but the actual hand-controller input is the real interesting part.

Edited:

$200 extra for the room-scale focus sounds okay in my book but know that it's going to be a subset for the VR market that'll make use of it, and we're sorta gambling how big it'll be.

Edited:

You can sorta see it with the included launch titles. Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption are great fun titles for sure, but EVE Valkyrie and Lucky's Tale just have way more development time, budget and polish.
    It's not $200 extra for room scale, it's $200 extra for touch input. In other words, it's $200 minus the cost of Touch more than the Rift for room scale. Fucking based HTC man. I'm so happy they didn't ruin everything with a ridiculous price. Can't wait to sit in the back of chemistry next Monday waiting for the pre-order page to open up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #2446
    May 2014
    1,242 Posts
    Taxes and tariffs don't change.
    They do when you calculate customs and VAT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Belgium Show Events

7. Post #2447
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,295 Posts
    even if i wanted to im not going to be able to preorder im going to be in thailand, so ill probably just wait until the end of the year and pick the headset which has the best software selection with the added bonus of not being in a queue for months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2448
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,161 Posts
    Welp, at those price points I can afford to not be an early adopter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

9. Post #2449
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts

That looks pretty neat.

Edited:

Someone on the subreddit played this and described his experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #2450
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,283 Posts
    They also had a melee game it seems, one's holding a tracked shield+sword and the other uses a spear.

Edited:

Correction, it's a "wizard" class and it's a staff instead of a spear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #2451
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    So is it confirmed now that GearVR does positional tracking? What's their secret and why don't they need a Lighthouse/Constellation equivalent?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

12. Post #2452
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,283 Posts
    It's a custom rig by an independent company, that's not official by any means. You can see the tracking lights the company added on their heads.

2 hours and 10 minutes left until the Samsung conference, perhaps they'll reveal GearVR stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events

13. Post #2453
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    So is it confirmed now that GearVR does positional tracking? What's their secret and why don't they need a Lighthouse/Constellation equivalent?
    It looks like there were a ton of trackers on that metal rig above them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events

14. Post #2454
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,537 Posts
    having no stereoscopic lol

whats the point
    The units on show are dummy units so I don't know where they're getting this from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #2455
    November 2014
    834 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hungary Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #2456
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,057 Posts
    800$

fuck no, fuck that, that isn't fucking good

600$ I'll pay but no more than that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Late Late x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #2457
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,311 Posts
    Shipping from Spain eh? That's good news.

I'll have to spend this week pondering whether or not to cancel my Rift order. The tracking volume isn't much of a big deal because I don't have any more than a 2x3m space in my room anyway so for me it's gonna come down to other factors, and the Rift's lightness and wider FOV compared to the Vive are really tempting, and since 70% of what I'll be doing with a VR headset will be playing cockpit games anyway. Here's hoping some more info on the Vive consumer version's specs will come in the next couple of days to see if it differs from existing dev kits much or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Portugal Show Events

18. Post #2458
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    800$

fuck no, fuck that, that isn't fucking good

600$ I'll pay but no more than that
    were you expecting the Vice to be cheaper? They literally said it was going to be more expensive lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #2459
    November 2014
    834 Posts
    Still no mention of the European, international price. Probably when the pre-orders go live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hungary Show Events

20. Post #2460
    February 2006
    46,057 Posts
    were you expecting the Vice to be cheaper? They literally said it was going to be more expensive lol
    I expected it to be more pricey, didn't want it to be.

I was thinking more in the ballpark of 650-700 USD

21. Post #2461
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,444 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #2462
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,283 Posts
    I expected it to be more pricey, didn't want it to be.

I was thinking more in the ballpark of 650-700 USD
    That's so optimistic it hurts. Vive comes with hand wands and HTC is selling it for profit, while the Rift come with no wands and Oculus is selling it at cost. 799 was the minimum I was expecting it to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events

23. Post #2463
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,706 Posts
    I think that baseline has sold me on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #2464
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,537 Posts
    I like how they've kept the same basic design from the very beginning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #2465
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,642 Posts
    So the integrated audio is just a 3,5 jack like the pre?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #2466
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    I like how they've kept the same basic design from the very beginning.
    Honestly I've always preferred the look of the Vive. Maybe I'm biased towards the weird cyberpunk developer-kit look because I'm a developer, but man I think it looks awesome. The pitted look instantly reminds me of Neotokyo and the pitted visors the characters wore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2467
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    Still can't get over the fact how the Vive's backstrap looks like the Oculus logo and the Rift's backstrap looks like the Vive logo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2468
    February 2006
    46,057 Posts
    Still can't get over the fact how the Vive's backstrap looks like the Oculus logo and the Rift's backstrap looks like the Vive logo
    no it doesn- whooooooaaaaa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #2469
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    According to some late Pre recipients, it comes with some in-ear buds. Personally I'm glad they went with this approach. Keep the cost down and let me use my nice comfy headphones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #2470
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,283 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #2471
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,537 Posts
    According to some late Pre recipients, it comes with some in-ear buds. Personally I'm glad they went with this approach. Keep the cost down and let me use my nice comfy headphones.

I think I'd prefer using earphones over headphones if I'm gonna be doing room-scale stuff. I want it to be as light as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #2472
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Shipping from Spain eh? That's good news..
    where does it say?

if it's inside europe then i only have ridiculous shipping costs to worry about, which might be ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events

33. Post #2473
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,621 Posts
    where does it say?

if it's inside europe then i only have ridiculous shipping costs to worry about, which might be ok
    Sweden too, you're covered

Edited:

34. Post #2474
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    20,944 Posts
    Sweden too, you're covered
    shipping from spain

not to spain

depending on where it's shipped from you might get fucked on customs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Sweden Show Events

35. Post #2475
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    Seems so, which is kind of a let down. No integrated mic either?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

36. Post #2476
    November 2014
    834 Posts
    Shipping from Spain eh? That's good news.
    To, not from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Hungary Show Events

37. Post #2477
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    I think I'd prefer using earphones over headphones if I'm gonna be doing room-scale stuff. I want it to be as light as possible.
    Fair point, good thing we have options! Man I'm so happy. It's basically confirmed that I'm gonna own a Vive come April, I'm too hype

Edited:

Seems so, which is kind of a let down. No integrated mic either?
    They've had a high quality mic since the Pre. Heard it on a stream and it's honestly stellar quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #2478
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    8,251 Posts
    is it just me or are those extendable air vents (starting at 0:20) going to be a massive source of light bleed??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

39. Post #2479
    February 2006
    46,057 Posts
    is it just me or are those extendable air vents (starting at 0:20) going to be a massive source of light bleed??
    turn off the lights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2480
    Dennab
    December 2014
    4,794 Posts
    Pretty sure they factored that into the design.. They're likely sheathed by another layer of plastic or fabric or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)