1. Post #1
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    Brief History of what is going on at this time
    It is the year 867 the year of our lord, and events are unfoldng in Europe that will utterly change the course of history for the entire continent in ways not seen since the death of the reign of Charlemagne followers of the Germanic tradition, having been driven from Saxony/Germany, are now known as "Norse". In Scandanavia, small tribes are attempting to subjugate each other in the hope of forming Norway and Sweden. The sons of Ragnarr Loðbrok are attempting to carve out pieces of England in revenge for the murder of their father. Farther East, Rurik is beginning his attempt to form Rus. While the Norse are powerful now, they are vulnerable to gavelkind and conversion by missionaries King Arpad of the Magyars is beginning a series of invasions with the hope of settling in Hungary. Six Karling kingdoms dominate Western Europe. Will enough Karling realms unite, though claim wars or inheritance, to create a new empire? The Umayyad Sultanate of Al-Andalus controls 2/3rds of Iberia However the Spanish Kings in the North have fortified their holdings and are a serious threat to any hope for Andalusian re-conquest of Iberia The Abbasid Caliph, Al-Mu'tazz, rules over a weakened Arabian empire. Former vassals have become de facto independent. The Caliph's half-brothers consider claimant bids, while the Turkish dukes in Jerusalem clamor for independence. Meanwhile, the Saffarids ruling Persia have less than 90 years to prepare for a storm from the east...
    Political Map
    Religious Map
    TURN KEY
    Not Needed after first turn
    Flag/Banner 250x150 or 150x250
    Nation:
    Dynasty & Coat of Arms
    Religion of Nation & Dynasty:
    Culture:
    Needed after first turn
    Internal Affairs: anything to do with your nation/tribe
    External Affairs: anything to do with other nations, i.e wars, alliances, marriages
    Dynastic Affairs: anything to do with your dynasty, such as succession law changes, religious conversion, marriages to other dynasties
    Military: anything to do with the military whether it be raising the your vassal's levies or building up your personal retinue
    Espionage: anything relating to spies, murder, or sleeping with another king's wife
    Technology: give me 3 I will randomly select 1
    Only one edit per turn
    Turn line limit is going to be set at 12
    There Are also Various Government types depending on where you start I.E, Fuedalism (Christian Europe, India,), Tribalism (The Pagans of eastern Europe and Scandinavia,)Nomadic, (For the Followers of the Tengri faith),Iqta (The Muslim form of Fuedalism). and Republics (Venice, Amalfi, etc.) Tribes and Nomads can reform their governments into Fuedal Kingdoms, Iqta states(Muslims only) or Republics, just bear in mind your people may not think the new ways are best...
    Player List:Set at 8 NO MORE
    Zillamaster55-Abbassid Caliphate
    EuSkalduna-West Francia
    Pezgod1-Wessex
    SniperComZero-Eastern Roman Empire
    KingArcher-Emirate of Cordoba
    Emperor Scorpious II-Kingdom of Svithjod
    Sobotnik-The Holy See
    Milkdairy-Venice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    DIBS ABBASIDS

DIBS KEBEB

الله أكبر
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts
    Western Francia

Edited:

Wait I just realised that this RP is run by the USSR

FUCK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2013
    421 Posts
    I claim Wessex.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    1,287 Posts
    dibs holmgarder/novgorod/whatever fuck you just give me it

6. Post #6
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    Alright lads Turns are due Friday(If I get them in before hand the turn will come out sooner) Also each turn is 10 years

7. Post #7
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    KingArcher claims the Umayyads

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts
    TFW you're so tired you write in you want to invade your own lands
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Kingdom of Svithjod!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts

Religious symbols

Edited:

Kingdom of Svithjod!
    Svíþjóð if you want it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    Can I be the pope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    Can I be the pope
    Yea why not, I can handle another player

13. Post #13
    March 2011
    1,287 Posts
    SniperComZero: i was gonna make stronk rossia
    SniperComZero: but i realize now it's all a shitshow
    SniperComZero: byzantium boys
    SniperComZero: or east rome whatever

14. Post #14
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    fuCK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    Joining as Repubblica di Venezia (by Native's consent)

are you noobs ready to get fucking banked on

we'll see how tough your shit feudal levies are against my leonardo da vinci flying machines and photorealistic paintings

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts

we'll see how tough your shit feudal levies are against my leonardo da vinci flying machines and photorealistic paintings
    Nigger old leo was from tuscany bruv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    The Swedish conquest of the Rus is all the more easier now

18. Post #18
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts

you're just 600 years early...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    March 2011
    1,287 Posts

fuck off cunt ROMA MOST CULTURED
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    fuck off cunt ROMA MOST CULTURED
    Psstt

Hey you in the purple

Yeah you with purple and Greek wine

Wanna buy some Varangians?

21. Post #21
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,819 Posts
    Do you need a divorce? Forgiveness for your sins? Perhaps a new court scholar, or even just a great mass?

Then come on down to see Pope Nick in Rome. With his state of the art religious techniques YOU too can enjoy the benefits that come with being in the Roman church!

Old customers shouldn't be shafted in favour of new ones, which is why the church offers this loyalty program! Simply contact the pope for any religious requests, for the low low price of papal investiture or some land set aside for a monastery!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Turn will be in late tonight.

Like, maybe midnight EST late tonight.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    Marco Polo gon explore your Queen's nether regions for the Most Serene Republic

better watch out homie

24. Post #24
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    Turns Recieved:
    Wessex
    West Francia
    The Papal States
    Abbasids
    Venice
    Turns Needed:
    Svithjod
    Eastern Romans
    Unayyads

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Writing my turn now, should be done in 15 or so minutes.

No way I can write the full 12 line, I can't find anything on the history of Sweden during this time unfortunately so I'm kind of going blind for this first turn.

Edited:

Turn sent!

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    gib turn

27. Post #27
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    alright everybody turn should be out tonight/tomorrow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    GM pls give turn

29. Post #29
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    When will the turn be out?

I don't mind waiting a few days but a designated day to wait for would be nice.

30. Post #30
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    Keep coming back here to see if there's a reply, wondering why Native hasn't been online for so long

Then it dawns on me that majority of FP is still in high school

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    GM I'll have you on the cross if you don't deliver this turn

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts
    GM I'll have you on the cross if you don't deliver this turn
    I think that might be a bit of a faux pas there mate, especially in christendom

33. Post #33
    February 2009
    34,783 Posts
    BLOOD EAGLE

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,906 Posts
    I think that might be a bit of a faux pas there mate, especially in christendom
    Only heretics fail to deliver

Edited:

You've been exposed Native Hunter

submit to the inquisition

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts
    Mud for the mud god turn for the turn throne

36. Post #36
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    Only heretics fail to deliver

Edited:

You've been exposed Native Hunter

submit to the inquisition
    Im not part of that Judaism thing I don't know what you're talking about...........

just want to say i'm sorry for being so late, I've had to make up a lot of school work from the week I missed; Currently finishing last turn now, then I should have it up within 20 minutes of that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts

Political Map

Religious Map

The Kingdom of Wessex
    Dynasty:House of Wessex
    Religion of Nation & Dynasty: Chalcedonian Christianity
    Culture: Anglo-Saxon
    Stability: Stable
    Strength: Strong

-At the Dawn of the invasion of the Great Heathen Army the men of Britannia were awakened from their slumber of fighting amongst each other for more lands for cows to graze and peasants to reproduce on. Kings and Earls all across the Isles that once fought now found themselves united together against the great evil that the son’s of the fierce heathen Ragnar Lodbrok brought to their lands. Wessex was such a kingdom that saw the futility in fighting with their neighbors while their lands lay prey to the Norsemen. In Spring of 867 the King of Wessex ,Æthelred I, called the earls and kings to unite into a single Holy Army against the heathen Horde that threatened them.

-To the Amazement of the King, all the earls of Ireland, Wales, and the Kings in England pledged their support for a Holy Army to combat the Heathens. And in the year of 868 a massive force of Irish, Welsh, Anglo-Saxon, and Frankish (The King’s newest ally) gathered near the Canterbury Cathedral in Kent where the Bishop blessed the Army to go forth and crush the Heathens. With the Bishop’s blessing the Army Pushed North towards East Anglia where they sought to assist the King against the Heathen Army that had begun to descend into the small Kingdom by way of the Fens.

-However the leader of the Holy Army, the King’s brother Alfred. Devised a plan to completely surprise the heathens as they sacked the Monastery at Ely. There the East Anglian forces drew the Vikings towards the monastery where after a long and bloody siege the vikings took the monastery and killed all inside, including the heirless King of East Anglia. However as the Vikings sacked the monastery they were descended upon by Alfred and his Holy Army, where they burned the Vikings out from their hiding spot, surrounded them, and completely slaughtered them. Including the King of Jorvik and Son of Ragnar, Halfdan Whiteshirt, slain by none other than the King’s brother Alfred.

-With the Vikings slaughtered and the Armies morale high, the Force marched further North through Mercia where they laid siege to the City of Jorvik itself, It was during this time of intermingling between Anglo-Saxon, Welsh, and Irish that the Longbow was devised through the efforts of the Anglo-Saxon and Welsh Archers to devise a Bow that could both shoot farther and deliver more of a punch than what their outdated composite ones. This invention quickly spread through the ranks of the army and helped the troops pick off Norse archers on the walls and set fire to Granaries beyond them. This meant the siege lasted only some two years before the norsemen charged out from their walls to be decimated by the Armies forces.

-With Jorvik, now once again called York, retaken and put back into the hands of King Aella of Northumbria the Forces of the Army dispersed, some back to their homelands, some to help fight the forces of Ivar the Boneless to the North. But all taking the Longbow with them. It was on the march home however that Alfred received a messenger from his brother’s court. The King was dead, killed by a pox that plagued his nether regions. Meaning Alfred was now King of Wessex. Bearing his new title Alfred marched through the lands of East Anglia where he crushed the rebelling barons vying for the throne, which he took for himself in the year 872.

-Upon his return to Wessex Alfred got straight to work on fixing the realm creating a Burghal Hidage to record all the Burhs in Wessex and the amount of taxes necessary to maintain them, thus greatly improving the quality of maintenance as the burghers now know how much money needs to be collected and for what, resulting however in a rise in taxes as the king calls for the expansion of Burghs, infrastructure, and the general road linkage. While this may mean that the peasants have one less cabbage to feast on it also means that the kingdom has more coin in its coffers which is spent on various building projects such as the construction of longboats to combat the Viking Raiders, and the rebuilding of Londinium, that old Roman city that survives in Middlesex.

-In coordination with this market cities begin to see more investment from the King as they are granted special charters to operate with greater autonomy to increase profits, this is successful in part that the cities create more revenue in the form of taxes for the king but less so in improving wealth in the region as many of the Merchants are more interested in holding onto their coin than reinvesting it.

-Dynastically Alfred looks to the empty chair to his right where a woman should go, his solution of course is to ask for the King of Scotland’s daughter’s hand in marriage. The King accepts seeing investing in his southern relationships as necessary and sends a dowry of 200 sheep south. Also looking to cement his Alliance with the Franks Alfred offers the hand of his widow sister to King Louis II of West Francia. The King accepts thus binding the Franks and Saxons together. Seeing allies to his south and North Alfred takes a bold move as the year 876 draws to a close and proclaims himself King of the Angles, Thus bringing back the old tradition of the Brytenwalda and ire of the other Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms.

The Abbasid Caliphate
    Religion of Dynasty & Nation: Sunni Islam
    Culture: Bedouin
    Strength: Very Strong

-By the time the year 867 came around the Abbasids were a dying empire, many of their former vassals had broken off in rebellion, and the rise of the Idrisid Caliphate to the West only meant that things were going to get bumpier. However with the ascension of the young and charismatic Al-Mu’tazz to the position as head of the Sunni faith, things were looking differently.

-Near the beginning of Al-Mu'tazz’s reign, needing to solidify his position as head of the Sunni Faith and in an effort to show Sunni dominance, he issued a Fatwa against the irreligious and Shia heretics, thus resulting the the massacre of shia peoples living on the Arabian Coast and Mesopotamia as well as the declaration of War against the Nefoud tribes to the Caliphate’s south, to wipe the Shia scourge of Arabia from the Earth.

-Levies are raised throughout the realm as promises of slaves, plunder, and women are given to the men and emirs of the Caliphate, raising their morale significantly as the thought of more slaves makes them more than willing to fight.

-The War progresses smoothly as in exchange for the Hashimids taking the Shia lands they have agreed to once again swear fealty to the Caliph and go to work quickly capturing the Nefoud camps and water holes. Forcing the Shia tribesmen that were not killed south into the Shia Emirate of Yemen.

-The Caliph is hailed as a hero for this all throughout the realms as not only has he killed Shia but also regained control of the two holy cities! The calls of his name only grow louder as the Jizya on the Shia is raised to 75% of their income, convincing many to move to greener pastures or convert. Christians and Jews throughout the realm can be seen laughing at the Shia as many are reduced to becoming servants to the two groups as no Sunni Muslim will take them on as servants.

-This money is then used to expand the House of Wisdom in Baghdad, with the construction of an entire wings devoted solely to things like Astronomy and Navigation. Resulting in the re-discovery of the Astrolabe however much improved upon with the addition angular scales to the astrolabe, adding circles indicating azimuths on the horizon. Greatly aiding in the navigation of ships heading for Mecca and for Islamic Merchants heading east towards the Indian Ocean.

-It was around this time that a plot to kill the Tulunid Sultan was discovered, and orchestrated by none other than the Caliph. Fearing retaliation the Caliph gave the title of Wali to one of his uncles to help organize a personal guard that would insure his and his family's safety.

The Kingdom of West Francia
    Religion of Dynasty & Nation: Chalcedonian Christianity
    Culture: French/Frankish

-Near the end of the 860s the former realm of Charlemagne is in Shambles, the Great Empire he once construction now divided and fought over by his descendants. The Kingdom of West Francia is not excluded from this infighting as the king dodges arrows and poisons alike sent by his brothers in their efforts to gain the throne and obtain the family title bestowed at the beginning of the century, Holy Roman Emperor

-To combat this the king, Charles the Bald, called a meeting in Paris in which all the spymasters of the realm were invited. Not much is known about what occurred during this meeting apart from the fact that each spymaster emerged from the meeting carrying filled coffers and bearing emblems of the King.

-A Similar meeting is held for the Burghers as well however this one much more open to the public. There the king gave charters to the burghs similar to the those given to cities in Wessex where in exchange for greater autonomy the Burghs must expand and increase their efforts to rake in more revenue, and while successful in raising taxes for the king similar effects are seen as many merchants choose to hoard their gold rather than reinvest it in their towns.

-However the speed of information travel has increased throughout the Kingdom as Outposts are set up in between towns, villages, and cities that serve to house and feed travellers and soldiers as their move about the kingdom, resulting in business’ sprouting up around these posts and the natural build up of towns and villages around them.

-It was around this time that the King also came up with the idea of letting Vikings settle in Normandy, after the former count of Rouen rebelled against the king only to be decimated by French Forces. With such a worthwhile offer on the table many norsemen take up the offer to settle on the Norman coast, led by the Viking Rollo who was promptly baptized, named Robert, and placed as the count of Rouen.

-This friendliness to the Vikings has opened up more trade with the Norsemen rather than more bloody carnage, leading to many states across Europe to reconsider how to deal with the heathens that raid them.

-With the addition of many Norsemen to the ranks of the French forces, this leads to many of them being recruited by nobles as Martials to train their forces and levies to ensure that they are at their top physical condition.

-This trend on nobles wanting to have their forces at their best leads to Charles the Bald establishing a Merit based promotion system for his retinue, and while this is unpopular amongst the nobles many young peasant men rejoice, as finally it is possible to fulfil their dreams of Knighthood.

-Luckily for Charles, due to the unfortunate death of his brother and nephew, he came to acquire a large chunk of the Former realm of Lotharingia. Expanding his realm tremendously, however pitting him at odds with his other nephew Carloman who saught to take the title of King of the Franks and Holy Roman Emperor for himself.

The Papal States
    Culture: Latin
    Strength: Somewhat Strong

-In the year 867 Anno Domini the church was quickly rising to dominate Christendom as the true church of the west and only obstacle in the way of the Saracens from swarming into Europe as an inexorable horde.

-Through the Church’s unity in the West and the devotion of her followers the Christians of the west has beaten back all that was thrown at it, pagans, moors, and now the heathen vikings that were sometimes bold enough to venture into the mediterranean.

-However even in the time of Turbulation and Chaos the Church continued to shine as a beacon of Progress and Divinity. This is no more apparent than with the Benedictine Reforms. Spurred on by the Benedictine Order monastic life is once again focused on becoming as Christlike as possible, this is seen with Monks holding large festivals to give food and clothing to the poor and starving, Monks going out and actively preaching to the populace, and a focus on increasing education throughout the Christian World.

-This leads to the conversion of the high chief of Bohemia and the “Baptism of Bohemia” as it has been called by some scholars as seemingly all of the region was submerged in holy water all at once, though watched over by odd statues and totems. Bohemia also becomes renown for their beer, a mixture of hops with honey and barley. Thus Improving the economy of Bohemia drastically as many taverns pop up with visitors coming from neighboring kingdoms to have a taste

-The Monks not only preach the word of God however but also the Peace of God, calling christian nobility and rulers to stop their infighting and focus on the true threats to Christendom, like the moors and pagans, as well as calls to end slavery. This leads to several Holy wars in Germania and an expansion of missionary activities all over the pagan lands. However slavery remains ever prevalent in the North as many barons keep pagan prisoners of war for themselves.

-There are also rumors that the Holy See now harbors original transcripts of ancient philosophs and scientists like Aristotle, Ptolemy, and Archimedes. The rediscovery of these lost texts begins a push towards expanding Education across Christendom as the teachings of Thomas of Aquinas and the creation of a School of Scholasticism is brought forth to the Monasteries, resulting in many monks not only being Theologians, Missionaries, and Brewmasters; but also Poets, Scholars, and Teachers of Science.

-This is brought to greater use with the introduction of “Simplified Latin”, a reformed version of the ancient language to make it easier to learn for Monks, as well as the children of nobility as Religious Schools open their doors across Christendom encouraging the nobility to send their sons and daughters to learn, in exchange for generous donations to the church of course.

-However much of this donation money is put to good use as more schools and new Roman style churches, based off of the old architecture in Rome, begin to sprout up across Western Europe. Bringing prestige and devotion to the church as peasants and nobles alike gaze in wonder at the Houses of God.

-However with all the construction of schools and the encouragement of learning comes great benefit for Papal Lands, as a “Windmill” is constructed outside of Rome to help farmers turn their grain into meal to be baked into bread, thus greatly lightening the workload of these peasants.

-This expansion of learning also sees the creation of new Canonical Courthouses, where alleged criminals can expect greater rights than those previously available to them with ideas such as being “innocent until proven guilty”, and “must be found guilty without a reasonable doubt”. This court system sees criminals flock to them for trial, leading to demands for reforms amongst other court systems and even some Peasant Revolts

-Around this time there is also a meeting between the French, Pope, and Emperor as they try to decide upon what to do about the muslim hordes, however while these talks are fruitful in the fact that everyone present agrees that the muslims are bad. But the emperor soon stormed out after demanding the Pope submit to him only to be told to Submit to papal supremacy.

Eastern Roman Empire
    Culture: Latin/Greek
    Stability: Uneasy

-As the decade started to draw to a close in the world, the Eastern Roman Empire was continuing to change for better or worse. The constant fighting and frustration to the Empire’s west with the Bulgars and Serbs, and to the East with the Muslims continued to ever be a bane on the Empire’s frontier troops and population.

-However this has led to a drastic move by the ruling Dynasty as they have declared that all men must dedicate two years of their lives to the military where they are to endure professional training and become soldiers, however the response to this is as expected with some peasant rebellions in Anatolia and the far west of the empire.

-This is responded to with military crackdowns and the slaughter of the peasant armies, especially when seen comprised of Arabs and other heathen groups. And while this has led to the state being slightly more stable, it has also resulted in the Basilius becoming the ire of both the Peasants and the Muslim World

-With the draw of ire to his person the Basilius created the Varangian Guard to protect himself and his family from conspirators, this sees the influx of Norse and Russian Merchants as well as a rise in the population of strapping blonde men from the North in Constantinople.

-They first see action in the war against the Aghlabids in Sicily where they accompany the Basilius into battle fighting bravely to protect him and kill the moors. However what the Basilius had not expected was the arrival of a tremendous army of Umayyads, that came down on the Imperial forces at the Siege of Palermo, where they were smashed and forced to retreat from Sicily, resulting in the Island; as well as Malta falling to the Muslim invaders.

-Oddly enough, it is around this time that the Empire adopts the Arabic number system to replace to the old latin one, causing merchants and bureaucrats to rejoice that they could use the easier number system. However this also causes some of the more conservative factions in the Palace to take notice.

Svithjod
    Religion of Dynasty & Nation: Norse Paganism
    Culture: Norse/Swedish
    Stability: Uneasy
    Strength: Somewhat Strong

-With the Invasion forces in Britannia slowly dwindling away the people of Scandinavia slowly begin looking towards improving their own lands rather than going out and conquering others in 867. This also results in a zealous hatred of all things Christian and Christendom in general, with raids taking even more murderous approaches.

-This hatred towards Christianity has resulted in it being Banned in many kingdoms, including Svithjod. Where Christians can expect to be flayed alive for talking about their faith, and hanged simply for worshipping Christ. Drawing the Brutal hatred of Christian Kingdoms and the slaughter of viking raiders.

-The need to reform also sees an attempt to Reform the Norse religion, With the creation of an order of godi and seers that head the religious and organize the doctrine of the faith; even creating a holy stones solely where the doctrine is recorded in Runes . In which it is said that Ragnar Lodbrok was the adopted son of Thor, thus making the King of Svithjod and his children, the descendants of both Thor and Odin. Bringing them much love and submission from the devoted, but the ire of some of the more zealous nobles

-This devotion is put to the test when the King creates a new law for succession in his kingdom, citing that to divide the lands of the Sons of Thor and Odin is nothing more than Apostasy. Officially making Svithjod the first pagan kingdom to embrace the primogeniture succession law, however this also infuriates many of the Earls who now see their dynasty succeeding to the throne all the more unlikely.

-However changes to the dynasty do not change there as Children of Bjorn are married off to the king Vastergotland to the west. Thus bringing the two strongest powers in the land of the Swedes together.

-However religion is not the only influence the Norsemen have had to take the fight to the Christians, as loot remained the number one incentive for the Raiders. Seeing Massive amounts of longboats commissioned by the king for construction, all of which bear a new invention of the Norse, a rudder devoted to steering the ship, greatly assisting in speed of travel the ships have.

-This ships are first put to the test as the Swedes descend onto the baltic tribes seeking to raid and pillage where they went, however many are dissatisfied as the only riches to come from the Baltic are slaves, and what little gold can be found amongst the tribes.

The Emirate of Cordoba
    Religion of Dynasty & Nation: Sunni Islam
    Culture: Bedouin/Andalusian

-By 867 the Umayyads had been the dominant power in Iberia for over a century, converting masses of people to Sunni islam, and controlling trade through Iberia and everything that went out into the Atlantic.

-This long term arabic influence has led to the emersion of new cultures, specifically in the muslim south where the people have begun referring to themselves as andalusians, rather than as visigoths or arabs.

-This leads to the creation of schools that teach the rich how to speak this new andalusian dialect as it quickly comes to overtake bedouin arabic as the most spoken language of the nobility.

-These schools are accompanied by massive building projects in Qurtubah, with new roads, aqueducts, mosques, libraries, palaces, and water wheel irrigated fields turning Qurtubah into a center of trade, knowledge, and culture. However this racks up quite the bill for the Emir as he has to take loans from Jewish merchants at times to pay for all of this.

-However the Sultan’s money problems are quickly solved as non-muslim traders no longer have to pay a heavy jizya, bringing in unheard of amounts of trade as merchants from Mali, Tunis, Genoa, and Paris flock to the cities of Al-Andalus.

-With this money in hand the Emir raised his levies and those of his vassals and marches south in a holy war against the Idrisid Caliphate, with promises of land, slaves, title, and gold his vassals and their men happily followed their Emir across the strait where they quickly take Tangiers and flock south to take Rabat and Fars completely unaware, slaughtering shia fighters in their wake.

-However the advantage of surprise quickly wore out as the majority of the Shia forces amassed in the Marrakesh where they were besieged. The Emir gave the people of the city a chance to flee offering them safe passage out and the ability to keep their faith. This results in the majority of the city leaving and the Emir being known as Muhammad the Merciful by his subjects.

-However this also has the unintended consequence of spurning the most devout shia men into taking up arms with their compatriots in defence of the city. The siege is long, lasting some two years; however in the dead of night in 872 the city was awoken to the smell of smoke as flaming logs hurled over the walls and into the city and surrounding fields, killing many of the sleeping soldiers, and burning the majority of the city to the ground.

-During this Chaos the Emir saw fit to launch his attack, quickly overwhelming the defenders as they tried to battle both their enemy and the flames. Soon the Umayyad banner was raised over the city as the flames died down and prisoners left as slaves.

-With the rest of the Caliphate being nothing but uninhabited hills and deserts the occupation is relatively quick, though shia men can still be seen attacking the Andalusians in the Mountains. However the caliphate had fallen, and with it the Umayyads expanded their domain to encompass their old realm.

-Thus infrastructure was expanded, cities rebuilt, and roads extended to ghana; though many were wiped over by the sands of the desert. Giving the Umayyads a monopoly on trade from the African kingdom.

-The Emir also promoted incentives of titles and minor lands to the noble that converted the most people in Morocco, resulting in the Sheikh of Fars gaining land on the coast.

-However this was not the end of the Umayyad military endeavors as they headed west to assist their Aghlabid allies, surprising the Imperial forces at the siege of Palermo and vanquishing them and forcing them back into calabri, with Sicily falling to the moors.

-It was after the Umayyads returned home that the building up of castles, and roads began on the northern borders of Asturias and Aquitaine to prepare for any Christian attack and in general improve the infrastructure of the region.

-With this focus on the military in the Andalusian realm a new tactic is adopted by the Umayyads that models that of the ancient Alexander in which pikemen amass in square and rectangular formations to form a wall of spears against attackers.

The Most Serene Republic of Venice
    Culture: Venetian

-In the year 867 Venice was one of the only two independent, functioning, republics in the known world, not to mention the largest trader in the Adriatic. If Venice’s wealth had been amassed on the isles the city was they would have sunk long ago as the City-State continued to prosper and develop into more than a regional power of wealth and trade.

-It is also around this time that the government begins issuing bonds, where citizens and external institutions can invest in the government through buying bonds, or shares, in the government. Those who invest are guaranteed their money back, with interest. Resulting in many merchants around the Mediterranean to invest in the Island Republic.

-This money invested is spent in a variety of ways like the construction of new dockyards all over the Venetian Islands in an effort to speed up the production of warships to protect trade and combat Piracy; and merchant ships to be sold back to merchants.. Though it takes some time eventually ships can be seen be finished daily as new ships are christened every other day.

-These new merchant vessels start to be put to the test as Venetian Merchants began traveling up and down the Adriatic and into the Ionian as they slowly begin to construct trading posts throughout the waterway. This also results in many Merchants setting up shop in Croatia, Italy, and the ERE, slowly intermingling with local nobility to gain favor and trade advantages.

-These favors help Venice absorb rival trading companies in the Adriatic and Ionian giving them a virtual monopoly on trade in the region, thus bringing in mass amounts of money into Venetian coffers.

-This Money is stored in New Venetian Banks which primarily only store money and give out non-interest loans; as the Church remains staunch on anti-interest; however while many banks do not survive, those that do have opened up various business ventures to support themselves and make good use of their patrons money.

-This results in expanded trade with the Eastern Roman Empire, expanding Venetian trade into the Aegean sea and even Constantinople. It also results in the Treaty of Thessaloniki, exempting Venetian merchants from paying Taxes in the ERE, in return for increased investments in Roman Lands, the protection of Roman Fleets in the eastern Mediterranean, and the Venetian pledge to send men to assist against the Arabs. However these men turn tail and flee after the fall of Sicily, resulting in some Venetian trading posts in Roman Italy to be burned to the ground.

-This scare prompted the Venetian government to direct their trading partners to fortify trading cities to protect Venetian interests, with the construction of more walls, ships, and expansion of barracks in many cities on the Adriatic and Ionian.

-This also prompted the Venetians to look towards their own military, seeking to train and drill the inexperienced levies more thoroughly and efficiently, resulting in the hiring of Italian and Roman Veterans to help train the troops, with even some old varangians coming to find some extra gold.

-This increased access to proper training, and the general need to always have troops available to protect trade, has resulted in the creation of the “Venetian Corpo Volontari” or Venetian Volunteer Corps. These are soldiers that sign up for a ten year stint with the military where they are fed and quartered, but do not receive a regular salary. Rather, they are invested in, with the quality of their service and time spent on campaigns and abroad. Resulting in influxes of thousands of young men from all over the Roman Empire and Italy flocking to Venice for the opportunity to make money killing and carrying a sword.

-However a bonus of 150% of the earned wage is offered to soldiers who are willing to establish trading ventures outside of Venice, and 200% for those willing to not only establish trading ventures but also to follow what the Venetian government dictates. Many of the smarter and older soldiers looking to retire take up these offers as they seek to either retire or set up businesses. The rest of the troops generally either just re-enlist or take their money and run

-It was also around this time that venetian merchants started to come in contact with Greek Monasteries, where in exchange for wine and other alcoholic brews they would trade supplies and other commodities the monasteries tend to require. However one shipment turned out to be a mistake as four pots of the legendary Greek Fire made their way into the shipment, this was quickly brought back to Venice where the greatest minds of the city now work to replicate the weapon.

-The Venetians also begin to feel the repercussions of the Pope’s recent actions as a tremendous Monastery begins construction on the island Murano. Which leads to beer to come out of the island, as well as many monks who head into Venice to help tend to the poor and sick; greatly improving Venice’s overall health
    Please Mark Turns as Turn: 2
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on Steam or via PM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2013
    4,321 Posts
    Hey GM, might wanna fix the flag of Andalucia; seems you gave him a French one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    March 2013
    511 Posts
    I rate this turn 8 allahu akbars out of 10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,663 Posts
    If you guys could get your turns in by or around wednesday thay'd be swell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)