1. Post #841
    January 2016
    14 Posts
    Were you also the same guy who months ago posted some footage of their engine doing some sort of frame reconstruction/interpolation thing? All of these techniques are things I'm extremely interested however not quite sure where to find useful information on these things.
    I'm afraid I just signed up on this site. Perhaps you're talking about temporal temporal reprojection? It's commonly used for ambient occlusion / screen space reflects / etc... effects. Unfortenately for some of these techniques papers are the only "informative" source, which sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #842

January 2011
    495 Posts
    What's the difference between being a C# dev and being a .net dev, and can I just get really good at C# and call myself a .net developer?

What if I'm actually doing this on linux/mono
    Are you using anything from .NET? Then yes you are a "C#.NET Developer"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #843
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,056 Posts
    Lost track of deadlines and ended up having to develop a game for my assignment over the cause of one weekend.

It's a sort of pinball breakout hybrid game, where the goal is to knock down all the captured humans (the little pink fellas).

I'm quite happy with how it turned out considering and this should be good practise for any future game jams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

4. Post #844
    August 2010
    1,293 Posts
    What's the difference between being a C# dev and being a .net dev, and can I just get really good at C# and call myself a .net developer?

I think .Net is more general, as it allows you to apply with different .net compatible languages (c++/cli, f# or even vb.net), may include ado.net, asp.net, entity framework, literally the technology behind windows apps (winform, wpf, phone 8/8.1, universal win10 apps) and any other shit you can think of. Being a C# developer would mean you get to work on a C# only codebase, but you still have to know at least some of the .net namespaces like System, System.IO, System.Collections.Generic, System.Linq etc to work efficiently without looking up msdn or autocomplete.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #845
    Dennab
    January 2016
    188 Posts

More progress on the procedural colors

Sorry about that guys
    Here are the articles I'm reading

http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/noise/

and

http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutor...e-derivatives/

They're really good and I've learned a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

6. Post #846
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,221 Posts
    Why does the interface turn red though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #847
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    We're trying out a new girl and environment design

And also a new game with smaller scope. I've added all enemies I wanted to add so far

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Brazil Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Programming King Programming King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #848
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,569 Posts

Rotating the clipboard with the copy / paste tool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6Programming King Programming King x 5 (list)

9. Post #849
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts

Rotating the clipboard with the copy / paste tool
    I kind of want to play a black and white with those controls now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #850
    August 2008
    7,684 Posts
    I kind of want to play a black and white with those controls now.
    That was pretty much the first thing I was going to do when I got my hands on a developer kit, although it looks like I'll just have to do it when they release now. I have a lot of libraries I've developed over the years that let's me pretty much play Black and White in any engine I want :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #851
    December 2005
    723 Posts
    So I did something yesterday that totally fucked up my work day and made me waste 5 hours debugging an "impossible to debug" issue on Xbox One. My game crashes and doesn't give me a stack trace. Only after searching and debugging for hours did I find one forum post that didn't actually have anything to do with the issue, but triggered some insane flashback in my mind that made me go "Oh you fucking moron. Why did you remove that build setting and forget to put it back"

(For those who are curious, it was related to the number of trampolines in the AOT Compilation Options)

I propose a "Trail of thought" app, for developers. Especially for programmers. Where actions have to be "logged". If something goes bad like, for example, you forget what you've been doing the next day. You can revisit your thoughts.
    It's like micrologging, for your brain. Useful for people who like to talk to themselves and people who have to pick up the work of programmers who jumped out of the window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    That was pretty much the first thing I was going to do when I got my hands on a developer kit, although it looks like I'll just have to do it when they release now. I have a lot of libraries I've developed over the years that let's me pretty much play Black and White in any engine I want :v
    All i want out of life is a stable version of Black & White that lets you skip the tutorial and is at least a little bit bug-free. Release your libraries and I'll give you my life savings    0   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #853
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    And also a new game with smaller scope. I've added all enemies I wanted to add so far
    How do you capture full-quality videos like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #854
    December 2005
    723 Posts
    How do you capture full-quality videos like that
    You can use ShareX and export it to any format you want to. Like gif or webm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events

15. Post #855
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    So I spent yesterday evening and a bit of today to make this:

Entangled

It's going to be a small game. Publishable in max. 2 weeks.
    I'm going to add a lot more animation and effects. This is a prototype at best.

It's mostly to try and make a splash in the industry, and have something to show for. Done a year in the industry now and I've only worked on cancelled games and prototypes :/
    I'd like to be able to pull out my tablet at events and let people play something I made.

Edited:

Sorry for the recording quality. It was supposed to be lossless :>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #856
    August 2008
    7,684 Posts
    All i want out of life is a stable version of Black & White that lets you skip the tutorial and is at least a little bit bug-free. Release your libraries and I'll give you my life savings    0   
    heres my patch and guide enjoy - some bonus ida screenshots in the comments, ignore the guy raging about it being stolen or some shit lmao. if you wanna skip tutorials make a new profile straight as soon as it lets you and you'll be given the option, patching that is in the virtual machine code and I haven't got around to writing a assembler for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

17. Post #857
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    heres my patch and guide enjoy - some bonus ida screenshots in the comments, ignore the guy raging about it being stolen or some shit lmao. if you wanna skip tutorials make a new profile straight as soon as it lets you and you'll be given the option, patching that is in the virtual machine code and I haven't got around to writing a assembler for it.
    omg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #858
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,653 Posts
    There's an option in unity to set an overlay color when in play mode. Useful for if you (like me) sometimes start to change values and do stuff in the editor only to find out you've accidentally done it all in play mode and none of it is going to stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #859
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    There's an option in unity to set an overlay color when in play mode. Useful for if you (like me) sometimes start to change values and do stuff in the editor only to find out you've accidentally done it all in play mode and none of it is going to stick.
    the panicked moments where you have to decide which component to copy to the clipboard, leaving the rest to disappear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    Even funner when you let the generator set 20 points and 28 connections

Edited:

Woot solved it

Edited:

I'll add an exit transition and let you guys play soon. Let me know if you're interested so I'm not actually wasting my time :>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    Dennab
    January 2016
    188 Posts
    So I can know when its in play mode
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

22. Post #862
    April 2012
    32 Posts
    These threads are one of the few things that actually motivate me to program when i don't feel like it.
    Here's me misusing my school's 2D C++ engine to draw a perlin noise heightmap.

Both generating and rendering it takes way too long, and the engine could do with some lower level calls to the Direct3D API it uses. The final project i'll be using this for doesn't require me to do much with the map however, so i could just write it to a bitmap and load that in after generation. Currently i've set the map generation aside and am working on a procedural character/NPC generator that will provide pre-calculated vectors to draw all their animations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 New Opera Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

23. Post #863
    June 2010
    620 Posts
    I participated in a 48-hour game jam a few days ago in a team of four.

The end result was a game where you slaughter an endless amount of marauding Moomins. We even took the liberty of "borrowing" some voice clips and music from the TV show. I was a bit rusty with Phaser (JavaScript HTML5 library we used to make the game) and on a really unfortunate note everyone except me was unable to come to the jam on the last day, but it still came out pretty well.

You can play it here right now:

http://matoking.com/killmuumi

Should be simple enough although it's in Finnish: arrow keys to move and X to shoot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #864
    August 2008
    7,684 Posts

annd that's done, fincs on #3dsdev wrote an implementation into libctru and wrote up this example too - 3ds homebrew developers now have access to the native system font and can draw it super easily. :) now I can continue with my gui library using this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 14Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #865
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,745 Posts
    Extreme Pedestrianism is now basically feature-complete. Tackle your enemies into traffic, jump gracefully over terrifying piles of crates and leap fearlessly into the windscreen of a speeding bus with the help of our THREE (3) (III) SEPARATE KINDS OF JUMP

Bonus: you'll never guess where we're going next

low gravity makes this game very weird
    How did you go from not having used unity to this is what, a month?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

26. Post #866
    Gold Member

July 2006
    2,475 Posts
    So I did something yesterday that totally fucked up my work day and made me waste 5 hours debugging an "impossible to debug" issue on Xbox One. My game crashes and doesn't give me a stack trace. Only after searching and debugging for hours did I find one forum post that didn't actually have anything to do with the issue, but triggered some insane flashback in my mind that made me go "Oh you fucking moron. Why did you remove that build setting and forget to put it back"

(For those who are curious, it was related to the number of trampolines in the AOT Compilation Options)

I propose a "Trail of thought" app, for developers. Especially for programmers. Where actions have to be "logged". If something goes bad like, for example, you forget what you've been doing the next day. You can revisit your thoughts.
    It's like micrologging, for your brain. Useful for people who like to talk to themselves and people who have to pick up the work of programmers who jumped out of the window.
    version control dude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #867
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts
    How do you guys render your fonts in (py)opengl?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Germany Show Events

28. Post #868
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    Even funner when you let the generator set 20 points and 28 connections
    Edited:

Woot solved it
    Edited:

I'll add an exit transition and let you guys play soon. Let me know if you're interested so I'm not actually wasting my time :>
    So how do you generate only planar graphs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events

29. Post #869
    August 2008
    7,684 Posts
    How do you guys render your fonts in (py)opengl?
    a common way of doing it in GUI systems is to obviously have your bitmap font, draw the glyphs however you want with quads etc.. but draw it to a texture that you can then draw without redrawing all the glyphs.

at least that's how my approach has been to it these past few days and I can't see any performance issues or anywhere I can squeeze a little extra out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #870
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,616 Posts

annd that's done, fincs on #3dsdev wrote an implementation into libctru and wrote up this example too - 3ds homebrew developers now have access to the native system font and can draw it super easily. :) now I can continue with my gui library using this.
    Quick question: Does the current evironment (theoretically) give access to the data that's exchanged via StreetPass? If the file format itself is unknown (but not super encrypted) that's fine, I'm just no good at disassembling anything.

Essentially I'm trying to decide whether I should learn (native) programming for the device or not bother with it for now. The wiki wasn't really that helpful yet in this regard.

Edited:

a common way of doing it in GUI systems is to obviously have your bitmap font, draw the glyphs however you want with quads etc.. but draw it to a texture that you can then draw without redrawing all the glyphs.
    On that note:
    The newer Ace Attorney games do the latter, though there's a bug in the one that has a text log where it tries to render n phrases starting from the oldest and can run out of memory if the text's too long in non-Japanese versions. It doesn't crash, but the newest text log entries stay empty which is very annoying.

At least on PC, rendering whole phrases is also better in that you can properly use vector fonts with subpixel spacing.

Edited:

edit: why rate dumb
    I think normally when people specifically say .NET they mean the standard library/framework, which takes a lot more time to get familiar with than any of the languages targeting it.
    Then again, learning .NET without C# may not be the best idea in the first place, since it's so commonly used on the platform.

Mono may not count (yet) since the standard library is much smaller and it actually fails differently in some edge cases (that you normally won't run into, but they exist).

Edited:

I'm fairly sure the least computationally intensive reliable way of doing that is creating it in a solved state and then scrambling the point, but I could be mistaken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events

31. Post #871
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts
    He obviously uses the players to find planar graphs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Germany Show Events

32. Post #872
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,259 Posts
    Poisson solution in high detail (1000 x 1000 grid):

You can see that the non-uniform sampling of normals has an influence, for sharp turns you will have a more normals per "unit arc length" and it will result in darker areas (i.e. the indicator function is closer to 0). So in a sense if you could sample an infinite amount of normals, the solution would be black-and white and sharply delineated, that would be the ideal solution, of course.

I'm amazed though that this is already sufficient to extract the curve almost perfectly if you just apply a decent threshold. If sampling is strongly non-uniform it would be a mess though.

I couldn't get my natural parametrization to work D: but it's not really a priority anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #873
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    So there's still some weirdness and artefacting going on with the build, but I promised you guys something to play.

Entanglement the prototype

I recommend playing the build in full-screen. ( If you'd like to exit, it's alt F4 for now )

Windows build | Linux build | Mac build

Let me know what you think!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #874
    August 2008
    7,684 Posts
    Quick question: Does the current evironment (theoretically) give access to the data that's exchanged via StreetPass? If the file format itself is unknown (but not super encrypted) that's fine, I'm just no good at disassembling anything.
    The protocol is entirely encrypted using the 3DS' AES hardware implementation as far as I can tell - it's more than possible to implement it in software, but I don't think anyone has done so yet. You'd have to write your own implementation of communicating with the NWM Services, most of it can be figured out from disassembles of commercial games and running them through emulators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    I just forgot I didn't add functionality to the pause menu. If you have the old build, just quit the game with alt F4 RERO has its downsides

36. Post #876
    Dennab
    July 2013
    619 Posts
    So there's still some weirdness and artefacting going on with the build, but I promised you guys something to play. Ignore the lines being bright red at the start, this only happens in the WebGL build.

Entanglement the prototype

I recommend either playing the Windows or Linux build in full-screen. If you'd rather not, play the web build. It doesn't look as good unfortunately.
    This could be a really good mobile game, just needs a better score system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events

37. Post #877
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    This could be a really good mobile game, just needs a better score system
    Thanks, that's the plan! What would you suggest?

38. Post #878
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    Poisson solution in high detail (1000 x 1000 grid):

You can see that the non-uniform sampling of normals has an influence, for sharp turns you will have a more normals per "unit arc length" and it will result in darker areas (i.e. the indicator function is closer to 0). So in a sense if you could sample an infinite amount of normals, the solution would be black-and white and sharply delineated, that would be the ideal solution, of course.

I'm amazed though that this is already sufficient to extract the curve almost perfectly if you just apply a decent threshold. If sampling is strongly non-uniform it would be a mess though.

I couldn't get my natural parametrization to work D: but it's not really a priority anyway.
    It's beautiful. I wish I could do stuff like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #879
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,837 Posts
    Thanks, that's the plan! What would you suggest?
    Maybe a timer or something, a score based on how long you take that is coupled with the amount of moves you perform.

I think it looks really cool btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #880
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,616 Posts
    The protocol is entirely encrypted using the 3DS' AES hardware implementation as far as I can tell - it's more than possible to implement it in software, but I don't think anyone has done so yet. You'd have to write your own implementation of communicating with the NWM Services, most of it can be figured out from disassembles of commercial games and running them through emulators.
    I don't think that's it (except the encryption, probably). Don't the standard applications store their StreetPass data somewhere and then let the system handle the sending/receiving of those data packets in stand-by mode?

The thing I'd like to do is grab the current Swapnote/Nintendo Letter Box letter from that program's StreetPass "outbox" and put it into another system's "inbox".
    (I used to exchange letters with my sister quite often, before they shut down the SpotPass service. I'd like to try to send them via email even if that's far from enough to restore the ability to reply directly.)

Edited:

I found the right API I think (CECD), but it's definitely not documented enough for me at this point. It would also depend on both ReadSendingData and Set/AddSavedData existing at all, unless user mode apps can read/write that otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events