1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,407 Posts
    HL2 front cover has scrapped version of Terminal Plaza from 2002 in the background and pretty much all screenshots on the back are from 2003. That's quite some lazyness.
    Iirc that was one of the main promotional images at the time, so it possible they included it on the box because it was so recognizable.
    I mean, I don't know, it just sounds silly to me. To think they were too lazy to make a 5 sec screengrab from the most recent build of the game they were hardworking on, meh... There must be other reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #202
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,904 Posts
    They did this all the way back with HL1. Or I guess Sierra did, as it was on their Bestseller edition. It included a screenshot of a marine roughing up a scientist, a scene not present in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 3 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,812 Posts
    Has localized modding been changed/broken/removed sometime since the Steam release? The standard Steampipe modding method doesn't seem to work anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #204
    Certified Witch - Action Girl Department
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    Has localized modding been changed/broken/removed sometime since the Steam release? The standard Steampipe modding method doesn't seem to work anymore.
    It isn't broken, it's the workshop that is broken. Basically the workshop is downloading your addons and not redirecting them to the right folder once they're downloaded. It puts them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\362890 and then doesn't move them to the correct folder which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Black Mesa\bms\addons. Either find the loose mods from GameBanana or something, or go into that folder, get all your workshop addons (the .vpk files, located under each of the folders inside the 362890 folder), and then put them in Black Mesa\bms\addons.

It's been like this since the release of the Crossfire update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,812 Posts
    -snip- Forgot BM doesn't have a modpath natively included in the gameinfo

6. Post #206
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    -snip- Forgot BM doesn't have a modpath natively included in the gameinfo
    Though it is a bit easier to add that to the gameinfo, you could always pack your folders into .vpks, which is the intended way to do things. It really isn't that hard at all, it's just one extra step in the process of getting the mods loaded (just drag and drop a folder onto a program and you're done).

The only annoying part is if you're doing texture work like I sometimes do, since it's very easy to just import the texture images you're working on and save them into a folder, a lot quicker than compiling it all into a .vpk, because that shit adds up as you do it every 30-45 minutes or so to evaluate your work.

That's when I do the gameinfo thing, but I like keeping those files vanilla during gameplay just in case it would invalidate anything like my ability to play online.

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,812 Posts
    Yeah I know how to VPK, it's just that I like to keep the files (.pcf's) unpacked so I can easily make changes like you said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 25Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    8,200 Posts
    dat nostaliga
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,475 Posts
    I have never used the expression "nailed it" up until now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,727 Posts
    I think the pop-out screen and scope are a little too high resolution for Source, bub
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #212
    July 2014
    33 Posts
    I still find hgrunts in bm way too accurate and op even on normal difficulty.

Then again maybe it's only me being a noob but i didn't have much problems with HL1's hardest difficulty and they weren't that dumb with their A.I.

another thing is that these guys in bm just run arround like annoying fucking rabbits

Some weapons like say Mp5 run out of bullets faster because they have a higher fire-rate than the original but they at least it seems to me that the gun deals less damage.

(disclaimer, this is a constructive criticism-intended comment)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    why is there a radiation symbol on the scope lens and screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    why is there a radiation symbol on the scope lens and screen
    temp texture rip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    -sniped-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    March 2013
    837 Posts
    Are the smoothing errors on Kleiner's model a known issue?

It was only appearing like that on his model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Waterfox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,064 Posts
    I noticed it on Eli as well.

18. Post #218
    May 2009
    256 Posts
    The flat shading on Kliener's model has been reported multiple times on the Black Mesa forums (by myself included). Never saw any flat shading on Eli though, would have to look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,407 Posts
    temp texture rip
    Are you going to animate the screen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    May 2012
    73 Posts
    Are the smoothing errors on Kleiner's model a known issue?

It was only appearing like that on his model
    I've actually messaged the crowbar collective about this on facebook but I didn't get a response. I figured I was the only one that noticed the issue.

21. Post #221
    December 2012
    233 Posts
    We're still hard at work on a hotfix to solve all of these issues. We are nearly there. You can opt into the public beta on Steam to see current progress.

I've actually messaged the crowbar collective about this on facebook but I didn't get a response. I figured I was the only one that noticed the issue.
    We've known about this for a long time, we just haven't got around to fixing it yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,064 Posts
    The flat shading on Kliener's model has been reported multiple times on the Black Mesa forums (by myself included). Never saw any flat shading on Eli though, would have to look.
    Eli may have been fixed, but the first time I noticed Kliener (the update before last), I also noticed it on Eli as well.

23. Post #223
    May 2012
    73 Posts
    I am insanely late on this subject but is travis still working on these? They make me feel really nostalgic.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2dsjl1s.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,064 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    7,328 Posts
    Finally, the excuse I've been waiting for to replay OaR Uncut.

26. Post #226
    May 2012
    73 Posts
    One of the notes says "Fixed lighting origin" for the crossbow. Would this explain why some of the custom models I've installed have strange lighting parameters? (i.e. turning black in well lit rooms)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #227
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    So can we not load non-workshop mods anymore? I've been trying to load my personal addons for Black Mesa into this new update and they don't work no matter what combination of loading them into the workshop\content\362890 folder I try.

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,659 Posts
    -snip-

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,266 Posts
    is it possible to change the first person viewmodel hands to a different model in singleplayer?

also shouldnt it be possible to play the game in coop by hosting an mp server on a sp map?

30. Post #230
    March 2015
    425 Posts
    Is it just me or does the MP5 look extremely low-quality compared with the other new weapon worldmodels?

MP5

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

31. Post #231
    May 2012
    73 Posts
    Is it just me or does the MP5 look extremely low-quality compared with the other new weapon worldmodels?

MP5

Am I the only one that's slightly bothered that the nozzle on the w_model gluon gun doesn't match the new v_model?

Edited:

Hey Crypt19, if I were able to fix the lighting origins on your skins would I be able to reupload them? (no offense by the way, I love your work, I just think it could be improved).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    December 2012
    167 Posts
    Nevermind found it. As for the MP5 world model yeah it does need updating. I've been using the world model from the EOD MP5 from Gamesbanana.

33. Post #233
    June 2010
    267 Posts
    I finally put my Frag on Gluon on the Workshop if anyone for some reason finds the models of a beginner enticing.

Hey Crypt19, if I were able to fix the lighting origins on your skins would I be able to reupload them? (no offense by the way, I love your work, I just think it could be improved).
    Haha, not that I have anything against it, but what's your obsession with wanting to make small changes to people's mods and upload them? Think I've seen you ask a few people (including myself before) questions like that.
    As a general rule for any of my mods, while I probably won't stop anyone from uploading their own versions, for bugs or issues with them I'd prefer to fix them myself so all versions are up to date and receive appropriate updates and fixes. No need to have different versions with varying levels of brokenness floating around. Not to mention once I do fix issues, the new third-party "Fixed" uploads would be redundant. Same deal with some of the BM fix mods, like the Blast Pit lighting one. One the devs actually fix it, the upload serves no purpose and probably just causes compatibility problems.

Again, though, that's not a definitive "no u sux." If you wanna do it, go ahead, I'll even give you an up rate if it's fixed, I just think it's a bit redundant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    May 2012
    73 Posts
    what's your obsession with wanting to make small changes to people's mods and upload them?
    Because I'm too untalented to make my own mods

Edited:

By the way, I'm sorry if it ever came across as me trying to take ownership of your work. I always thought of it more along the lines of "well somebody's gotta fix it".

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,407 Posts
    Because I'm too untalented to make my own mods

Edited:

By the way, I'm sorry if it ever came across as me trying to take ownership of your work. I always thought of it more along the lines of "well somebody's gotta fix it".
    Sorry to be straight with you, but it's not lack of talent but laziness.
    There's plenty of tutorials and amazing software around. Also there's this saying among 2d artists that even monkeys could do 3d :p

As for the topic, I personally don't really care what people do with my mods and whatever stuff that I give away. If they want to modify it, I can't stop it regardless, so I just allow whatever permission I'm asked in regards to my stuff.
    If you made a fix, release it. Then it's for public to decide wheter they want it or not. If you want Crypt to implement your fix, just ask him. That's what I think...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #236
    June 2010
    267 Posts
    Sorry to be straight with you, but it's not lack of talent but laziness.
    There's plenty of tutorials and amazing software around. Also there's this saying among 2d artists that even monkeys could do 3d :p
    So much this. While I suppose creativity and inspiration could be debated, not having the technical know-how is purely due to not trying. As an example, I've actually been modelling very off and on for less than two years, and I'm not particularly advanced. That's why the HD arms I made are shaped so unnaturally, I'm still learning. Otherwise I'd also be stuck at the "no skill" spot.

As for the lighting fix, it's on my to-do list. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I've been busy starting a project with a team. Like I said, there won't be any bad blood at all if you upload the fix yourself, I just think it'd be pointless since I'd push the same fix out with an updated model as well not long after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    December 2012
    233 Posts
    Yeah, it makes a lot more sense to ask Crypt to fix it, rather than try and fix his work yourself. I'm sure he's very capable of fixing a broken lighting origin.

Regarding the mentioned Blast Pit lighting fix, that mod already caused us a lot of trouble with the CU2 update, because we dramatically changed the inner workings of that silo map. We moved the transition landmark to fix some of the level transition wonkiness (which worked, the fix was good). However, the map then totally broke for anyone who used that mod, because anyone using that old map would transition into the void now. And nobody who used the mod ever would suspect it, because why would a lighting fix cause you to appear in the void? Game development, haha.

Crypt's stance makes sense. The other thing is that a mod like the Blast Pit lighting fix is a workaround, not a fix. The bug which causes the lighting error on Blast Pit is a VERY DEEPLY embedded problem in the engine related to named/dynamic lights and the entity we created to manage them and increase performance. That's why we still haven't fixed it yet, and I assure you, we had a programmer on it for weeks! It's why we had to take out the muzzle flash lights when we released, and many other problems. A fix is always better than a workaround, and that's one of the reasons why the engine license is so useful.

I'm not speaking out against the Blast Pit lighting fix; his workaround was very creative and it's good that people who are bothered by the lighting bug have a way of getting it out of sight for now. Just a general thought on people fixing other peoples' work while it's still being actively developed. More of a stream of consciousness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,737 Posts
    So is there another place where mods are being hosted considering the Workshop is messed up right now? I moved over what I could into the addons, but does On a Rail Uncut work from subscribing, or does it need to be moved too?

39. Post #239
    Get off my rocks, you damn kids!
    January 2012
    1,757 Posts
    So is there another place where mods are being hosted considering the Workshop is messed up right now? I moved over what I could into the addons, but does On a Rail Uncut work from subscribing, or does it need to be moved too?
    Workshop addons are working fine for me. I'm pretty sure you just needed to update any faulty mods by following the steps listed in the latest patch:
    Black Mesa Main Client Patch - 0.2.1 posted:
    This update may corrupt and break save files. If you're experience any issues with old loads, please restart the game at the start of that chapter. You can do that by clicking "New Game" on the main menu, and picking the latest chapter you were on.

Additionally, if you are experiencing issues with missing models or textures in-game, you have a legacy error with mods. If you have subscribed to any mods since launch and are experiencing these issues please do the following steps to fix the issue.
    1. Unsubscribe from all Black Mesa mods
    2. Go to ***\SteamApps\workshop\content\362890 (where *** is the location to where your steam games may be)
    3. Delete all folders within this folder
    4. Launch Black Mesa, and you should be good to go.
    Once you do this, you should be able to re-subscribe to any and all mods that you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #240
    June 2010
    267 Posts
    The addons folder doesn't work anymore, you have to mount it as a searchpath in your gameinfo.txt now.
    Code:
    game+mod bms/addons/*
    Also works if you want to use a different folder name (I use "!custom").
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)