1. Post #1521
    March 2009
    775 Posts
    That sounds a little unnecessarily complex. I'm not sure I like that design choice.
    Honestly I thought it was a parody. I'm not even joking, which I guess is ironic in the grand scheme of things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #1522
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts
    probably going to be 99.9% ever manned by NPCs but accessible, because there's at least 5 turbonerds out there who paid up to be flight attendants
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #1523

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,388 Posts
    honestly if i pay hundreds of dollars for a virtual computer video game digital space ship you fucking bet i want to get as much 『IMMERSION』~私は処女です as i can.

(although i personally would never spend that much money on a game)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1524
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    9,211 Posts
    probably going to be 99.9% ever manned by NPCs but accessible, because there's at least 5 turbonerds out there who paid up to be flight attendants
    dude I wanna wear a space mini-skirt and sell drinks to NPCs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

5. Post #1525
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts
    dude I wanna wear a space mini-skirt and sell drinks to NPCs
    this is what we need

the SC verse equivalent of space dandy's 'boobies' space station restaurant chain

Edited:

run by FPCorp of course

actually hey forgot to recommend earlier when someone was asking about shows to watch, go watch Space Dandy, it's basically if the writers of Johnny Bravo accidentally showed up to work at the Cowboy Bebop studios
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1526

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,388 Posts
    cowboy bebop and space dandy are both essential anime, although in a completely different and almost opposite way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

7. Post #1527
    What is going on here.

What if those are covers for the attachment points for whatever those hoses carry? (Oxygen, EVA fuel, whatever)

And, this month's subscriber flair iiiiiiis...

The Puglisi Collection is proud to offer its fifth issue: the AV8 Battle Armor Replica! This recreation of a historic battle suit gives you the opportunity to own a piece of personal defense technology history.

A juggernaut on the battlefield, the AV8 Resilience Series Battle Armor from Erol Future Tech set the standard for future generations of personal armor technology. Developed exclusively for UEE Marine shock troops for the Siege of Tiber, the AV8 offered maximum protection from ballistic and energy weapons and introduced the revolutionary new InLine BioMed system, capable of recognizing any injury sustained by the operative and relaying the information back to superiors and squadmates. The proof was in the field, more troopers in AV8s came back from combat than any other armor set.
    Yay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #1528
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,606 Posts
    All Origin 300i series get a inertia-dampening forcefield cup holder on the dashboard to hold expensive lattes from the on-board coffee machine. Fluctuations in the power grid from damage results in the female computer voice repeatedly announcing "Catastrophic cup retention system damage. Coffee pitching 22.5 degrees aft." and a additional animation where your guy keeps taking one hand off the yoke to try and steady the sloshing cardboard cup.
    "if we tip past 12.5 degrees we won't be able to recover commander"
    "if we start to tip you drink martinez"
    "commander?"
    "that's an order martinez"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1529
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,011 Posts
    What if those are covers for the attachment points for whatever those hoses carry? (Oxygen, EVA fuel, whatever)
    That would make sense if the hoses weren't also connecting to the fabric pouches.

It's a case of inattentive artists who added visual fluff for the sake of fluff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1530

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,388 Posts
    almost everyting in that suit is fluff for the sake of fluff. much of sc's design is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #1531
    That would make sense if the hoses weren't also connecting to the fabric pouches.

It's a case of inattentive artists who added visual fluff for the sake of fluff.
    What if the inside of those pouches contained an upwards-facing pipe port?

I'm not saying it isn't visual fluff, but it could be explained.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #1532
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    21,909 Posts
    This is where this game gets very silly

http://i.imgur.com/562CRV1.png
    fun fact: this is the only reason i want to do tour shit.

this is what warioware and cook serve delicious has done to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #1533
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts
    fun fact: this is the only reason i want to do tour shit.

this is what warioware and cook serve delicious has done to me
    that makes me think, this stuff could (should) be sectioned off as mobile minigames. Menial but interesting nonsense like the drink thing could be part of a minigame app like warioware junk, and whatever you're doing in there gets sent to some NPCs who're working the actual mind-numbing jobs in-verse, and you earn a bit of credit for your actual character to use when you're back at your computer. Pacing a bunch of fast minigames could result in a single user affecting an entire bar's output, as you're cycling through a bunch of drink mixing minigames and dialogue nonsense to manage patrons and keep spirits up or whatever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

14. Post #1534
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,797 Posts
    What if the inside of those pouches contained an upwards-facing pipe port?

I'm not saying it isn't visual fluff, but it could be explained.
    I am 99% sure it's just kitbashed and no actual thought went into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1535
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts

You can see exactly what look they were going for. It's a chest mounted rebreather, but for some reason they made the centerpiece magazine pouches instead of the rebreather.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #1536
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,886 Posts
    So... what exactly are people supposed to do in Covalex? I got a bunch of journals but have no idea how to activate the monitor, or if it's even possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events

17. Post #1537
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    So... what exactly are people supposed to do in Covalex? I got a bunch of journals but have no idea how to activate the monitor, or if it's even possible.
    Make sure you're tracking the Covalex quest. Read each journal entry as you pick them up, and you should see a marker over the upload terminal, that will let you interact with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events

18. Post #1538
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts
    The journals are separate from the questlog, quests being the largest square at the left side of your wrist thinger's UI. Sometimes it doesn't let you click it so I just go into journal, then back to the main menu with backspace, and it should highlight. The hexagons are checkboxes to turn on and off tracking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

19. Post #1539
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,432 Posts
    is the Vanguard done, at least the base version? it's flyable, but I really hope it's not complete? the UI is so hard to properly read and some of it isn't even functional from what I've seen. it also starts with a UI layout that makes no sense with one empty panel, two panels for your target and another panel which also seems to be broken. this also seems to reset every time you exit the ship so there's no point in setting it up either

Edited:

oh alright, two target panels, one for your target and the other for the turret I assume? the hull panel is still broken however and I don't think the shield one works either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events

20. Post #1540

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,388 Posts
    Downloaded Defraggler. 40GB fragmented. Opened the file list and guess what? It's all Star Citizen

thanks chris
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,886 Posts
    The journals are separate from the questlog, quests being the largest square at the left side of your wrist thinger's UI. Sometimes it doesn't let you click it so I just go into journal, then back to the main menu with backspace, and it should highlight. The hexagons are checkboxes to turn on and off tracking
    I never did find the button to open the journal, or see the hexagon markers. There's probably an overlay key I wasn't hitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events

22. Post #1542
    My FaVoRiTe CoLoR <3
    August 2006
    4,705 Posts
    F9 is mobi glass, a few buttons on it work. Mission tab and journal. You can use the mission tab to mark where your mission is on screen HUD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #1543
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    is the Vanguard done, at least the base version? it's flyable, but I really hope it's not complete? the UI is so hard to properly read and some of it isn't even functional from what I've seen. it also starts with a UI layout that makes no sense with one empty panel, two panels for your target and another panel which also seems to be broken. this also seems to reset every time you exit the ship so there's no point in setting it up either

Edited:

oh alright, two target panels, one for your target and the other for the turret I assume? the hull panel is still broken however and I don't think the shield one works either
    Vanguard's flyable, but very far from being done. Which should be obvious with the amount of placeholder geometry and broken functionality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Canada Show Events

24. Post #1544
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts

Edited:

it's an active WIP, moreso than everything else which are also technically all active WIPs

25. Post #1545
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    that makes me think, this stuff could (should) be sectioned off as mobile minigames. Menial but interesting nonsense like the drink thing could be part of a minigame app like warioware junk, and whatever you're doing in there gets sent to some NPCs who're working the actual mind-numbing jobs in-verse, and you earn a bit of credit for your actual character to use when you're back at your computer. Pacing a bunch of fast minigames could result in a single user affecting an entire bar's output, as you're cycling through a bunch of drink mixing minigames and dialogue nonsense to manage patrons and keep spirits up or whatever
    Also, Dai, if you were using a mobile minigame to mix drinks on your starliner for passengers while you were away from the computer... Who'd be flying your ship?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1546
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,797 Posts
    Instead of punching numbers into a machine that shouldn't exist why can't we just mix drinks by hand playing an actual bartender?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events

27. Post #1547
    dai

February 2006
    30,114 Posts
    Also, Dai, if you were using a mobile minigame to mix drinks on your starliner for passengers while you were away from the computer... Who'd be flying your ship?
    I'd say if this were taken into serious consideration, it would be more like it feeds the commands to any of a number of 'open' NPCs across the universe (not just those under your direct command in a ship) to basically crowdsource AI and add some human-randomized spice to how NPCs interact and affect other interactions. Prioritize NPCs in an opened instance (instead of pure simulation-space), again, to supplement more observable interactions and the cause/effect they may have. On top of that, the games should probably remain anonymous and randomly placed (no targeted griefing), and also probably low/no effect to local players' situations, again to cut back the potential that a twit on the phone app can't intentionally mess everything up and start a bar fight or cause a riot on a genesis

If you're doing something as slow and mind numbing as serving drinks, it'd stand to reason the only way to keep a phone gamer interested is to make it faster paced than that. Quick puzzles would be a great way to do this, but a single NPC or even a single genesis worth of waitresses couldn't keep up with that. It'd make sense to spread control out, so as an 'agent smith' with no geographical limitation, you could have each completion send out to a new NPC, across whatever locations necessary, which has the added bonus of also not letting griefers overtly affect a single location's experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1548
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    Given the upsetting nature of Old Man Colton's armor design render, I have made an inquiring post in the "Squadron 42 - Art" Ask A Developer thread.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

29. Post #1549
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,660 Posts
    It looks like part of the Constellation rework included those stupid ass fans that I hated so much for being so horribly thought out on so many levels. They didn't make sense from a physics, technical, or in-universe perspective.

Thankfully, they're now cool sci-fi handwavium magic glowing turbine things. That's much better.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #1550
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,116 Posts
    It looks like part of the Constellation rework included those stupid ass fans that I hated so much for being so horribly thought out on so many levels. They didn't make sense from a physics, technical, or in-universe perspective.

Thankfully, they're now cool sci-fi handwavium magic glowing turbine things. That's much better.

"what is FOD and how do we turbine" -CIG 2015

Edited:

first landing on a planet: constellation vtol fans scatter fragments of their fans all over an otherwise pristine planet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

31. Post #1551
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,011 Posts

Are they always locked pointing up/down?
    Putting them on gimbals would give the Connie some proper thrusters, because AFAIK it still uses magic invisible force for stabilization.

32. Post #1552

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,388 Posts
    Putting them on gimbals would give the Connie some proper thrusters, because AFAIK it still uses magic invisible force for stabilization.
    i-it's a physics-based, realistic space sim, shut UP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1553
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,555 Posts

I really love this now EXCEPT for the fact that no other ships have them.

all ships should have some kind of allowance for vertical landing, but it could come in multiple flavours; like how the tali's engines pivot down

eg. the hornet's round venty-looking thing around the turret could go to work as a turbine, and the 300i could pivot it's rear engine down and deploy front vents like a modern VTOL, etc

obviously handwave it away as diverting power from the main engine as to why we can't use it in space for insane manoeuvring

Edited:

you mean manoeuvring thrusters? because the connie has them... you can see top and side ones in that very image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

34. Post #1554
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,116 Posts

all ships should have some kind of allowance for vertical landing, but it could come in multiple flavours; like how the tali's engines pivot down

eg. the hornet's round venty-looking thing around the turret could go to work as a turbine, and the 300i could pivot it's rear engine down and deploy front vents like a modern VTOL, etc

obviously handwave it away as diverting power from the main engine as to why we can't use it in space for insane manoeuvring

Edited:

you mean manoeuvring thrusters? because the connie has them... you can see top and side ones in that very image
    the FOD thing I mentioned is a big deal though, its a huge problem as is with turbines even today. The hornet would kick up tons of debris with that style of turbine, and some of that would inevitably get tossed into the intake and just trash the impeller blades to hell and back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

35. Post #1555
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    the FOD thing I mentioned is a big deal though, its a huge problem as is with turbines even today. The hornet would kick up tons of debris with that style of turbine, and some of that would inevitably get tossed into the intake and just trash the impeller blades to hell and back.
    You're the aerospace engineer. I'd love to have you look at various SC ships and tell us which ones look like they'll actually be able to fly in a vacuum. I'm willing to bet few, if any, would be capable of atmospheric flight.

Edited:

Edited:

Also, the Hornet series is one of the few ship series that's already properly set up for vertical landings. The nozzles that constitute the Hornet's lower maneuvering thrusters pivot and work exactly like the thrusters on the AV-8B harrier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events

36. Post #1556
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,116 Posts
    You're the aerospace engineer. I'd love to have you look at various SC ships and tell us which ones look like they'll actually be able to fly in a vacuum. I'm willing to bet few, if any, would be capable of atmospheric flight.

Edited:

Also, the Hornet series is one of the few ship series that's already properly set up for vertical landings. The nozzles that constitute the Hornet's lower maneuvering thrusters pivot and work exactly like the thrusters on the AV-8B harrier.
    Aerospace Engineering student. I actually know jack shit. For now.

When it comes to space craft design, designing for atmosphere would be a bit silly in general since it'd be so goddamn hard to get in/out of atmo. I'd imagine most spacecraft in the future, especially those commonly travelling among the jovian area and earth/mars would have an onboard atmo shuttle. Otherwise when spacecraft are built in orbit, they stay in orbit. Hopefully.

Star Citizen ships would have to go into suspension of disbelief for now, and I'll just assume that they have some ridiculously strong fusion reactors onboard along with highly enhanced fusion/plasma drives (even the maneuvering thrusters, regular reactionless control systems aren't going to work). In which case, you're producing so much thrust you can just say "fuck you, aerodynamics and compressible flows!" (no really, fuck compressible flows always).

Its not entirely impossible, but its unlikely. I like all sorts of design philosophies in games, as long as its consistent in that universe. If star citizen wants to go full sci-fi, great! But its mixing and matching of realism and aestheticism that drives me a bit mad. Like the Hull Series... how the hell are those going to get near Atmo? Gravity wells would just suck em up

Also if you guys aren't watching The Expanse, watch it. And read the book. Seriously good sci fi show/book spanning our Solar System, and with a good mix of realism/fiction to boot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #1557
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,306 Posts
    Aerospace Engineering student. I actually know jack shit. For now.

When it comes to space craft design, designing for atmosphere would be a bit silly in general since it'd be so goddamn hard to get in/out of atmo. I'd imagine most spacecraft in the future, especially those commonly travelling among the jovian area and earth/mars would have an onboard atmo shuttle. Otherwise when spacecraft are built in orbit, they stay in orbit. Hopefully.

Star Citizen ships would have to go into suspension of disbelief for now, and I'll just assume that they have some ridiculously strong fusion reactors onboard along with highly enhanced fusion/plasma drives (even the maneuvering thrusters, regular reactionless control systems aren't going to work). In which case, you're producing so much thrust you can just say "fuck you, aerodynamics and compressible flows!" (no really, fuck compressible flows always).

Its not entirely impossible, but its unlikely. I like all sorts of design philosophies in games, as long as its consistent in that universe. If star citizen wants to go full sci-fi, great! But its mixing and matching of realism and aestheticism that drives me a bit mad. Like the Hull Series... how the hell are those going to get near Atmo? Gravity wells would just suck em up

Also if you guys aren't watching The Expanse, watch it. And read the book. Seriously good sci fi show/book spanning our Solar System, and with a good mix of realism/fiction to boot.
    If I had to guess, I'd say the hull series is going to be completely incapable of landing or even atmospheric flight. Ditto ships like the Orion, *maybe* Reclaimer. I figure they're meant to be docked at space stations when not in use, and their cargo is likely unloaded at the same stations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1558
    If I had to guess, I'd say the hull series is going to be completely incapable of landing or even atmospheric flight. Ditto ships like the Orion, *maybe* Reclaimer. I figure they're meant to be docked at space stations when not in use, and their cargo is likely unloaded at the same stations.
    Hull A and B have been said to not only be capable of atmo flight, but atmo flight while loaded. Hull C-E are capable of landing planetside, but only unladen and collapsed. (The ship would be unloaded in space before landing.)

How? I'm going with the reliable standby of "30th century, stfu".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #1559
    August 2011
    937 Posts
    Is there any way to avoid slamming into the landing pad? I can land in elite fine but in SE the thrust is so agressive tapping F puts your speed up about 5x what I would like. Decoupled or not it's still to fast. Even the little 50 m/s cruise mode is too fast.

Second question, is the speed measured in m/s?

Edited:

Rip, here comes a new page and nobodies going to see this question
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Spain Show Events

40. Post #1560
    Is there any way to avoid slamming into the landing pad? I can land in elite fine but in SE the thrust is so agressive tapping F puts your speed up about 5x what I would like. Decoupled or not it's still to fast. Even the little 50 m/s cruise mode is too fast.

Second question, is the speed measured in m/s?

Edited:

Rip, here comes a new page and nobodies going to see this question
    Level yourself out over the pad, go into SCM (not PRE) decoupled, tap f once and then hit spacebar once or twice to feather your vertical descent to single-digit speeds. With a little bit of practice, you'll never damage your ship on landing.

The precision mode is not as useful as learning how to land decoupled with a gentle touch. The acceleration profile on those bursts is rough, and it also brings you back to a full stop afterwards, making it likely that you'll have to slam your belly on the pad.

And yes, speeds are measured in m/s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)