1. Post #1201
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,427 Posts
    Went into a games workshop with a friend of mine who actually does all the figures and tabletop shit. He's really into grey knights but I was busy looking at all the chaos shit. I don't know much about tabletop but some of those chaos models are cool as fuck.

Raptors are so baller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #1202
    Dennab
    October 2010
    15,211 Posts
    Seriously, my dream for Xcom2 right now is that i mod it into another good Warhammer game.
    Kinda ambitious there, don't you think? Although yeah, XCOM engine and gameplay could work very well for a WH game, oh hell yes?

Also talk about that video, I dress my XCOM troopers similarly to "Imperial Guardsman" as well, with visored combat helms.

Aesthetics, it's the (only) thing that matters to me in single-player games. Speaking of which, I gotta play some more of XCOM2, but not so much time to play.. :-(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events

3. Post #1203
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,053 Posts
    I think the fact they cut the budget after already starting is the obvious elephant in the room.

They should have never been relying on UDraw and Homefront profits to hit milestone payments to begin with, completely fucking irresponsible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #1204
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,383 Posts
    Here's the Patriarch

Somewhat disappointed they didn't at least incorporate some elements from the classic patriarch.
    Mainly because the concept of a fat Tyranid mafia boss amuses me greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #1205
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,336 Posts
    Those are some really small Space Marine helmets on that pillar in the background.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1206
    January 2013
    453 Posts
    I'm so tempted to buy whatever this genestealer thing is. I've not even played the game or brought any figures in around six years. I just really like genestealers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPad Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1207
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,700 Posts
    Also talk about that video, I dress my XCOM troopers similarly to "Imperial Guardsman" as well, with visored combat helms.
    I always thought that the visored helmets looked like the starship troopers helmets.

So here's one for you, what's the difference between a Starship Trooper and an Imperial Guardsman?

About three inches of Visor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1208
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,253 Posts
    So here's one for you, what's the difference between a Starship Trooper and an Imperial Guardsman?
    time to nitpick about whether you mean the book 'Troopers or the movie 'Troopers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #1209
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,707 Posts
    Somewhat disappointed they didn't at least incorporate some elements from the classic patriarch.
    Mainly because the concept of a fat Tyranid mafia boss amuses me greatly.
    On the one hand, the new one looks mobile and formidable enough to start a colony all on it's own, On the other hand I miss the oversized bloated kingpin look.

I always loved the idea of the imperials blasting their way through miles of sewer systems, going through room after room of cultists, with their adversary becoming more alien as they go, only to end up in a huge throne room, confronted by a smug patriarch bastard sitting in the middle of an imitation of wealth and royalty. The new guy just looks like another biological killing machine, lacks some of the character that separates stealer cults from the rest of the tyranids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #1210
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,053 Posts
    Those are some really small Space Marine helmets on that pillar in the background.
    No, he's that big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1211
    Resident IFAP Phantas- magor- iologist
    July 2010
    9,245 Posts
    time to nitpick about whether you mean the book 'Troopers or the movie 'Troopers
    This. The movie Mobile Infantry is basically Imperial Guard "Win by superior manpower" but the whole point of the book was that the Mobile Infantry was a smaller force of highly trained volunteer soldiers in power armour whose skill, training and equipment made up for lack of numbers. They were the archetypal Space Marines and that always really bothered me about the movie that they scrapped that completely (I really like the book)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #1212
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,700 Posts
    Oh the movie hands down.

Else I would've made the joke "several tonnes of power armoured badass."

Not to sound pretentious but I think it's fair to say the movie was more widely known that the book, even if the book involved power armoured badasses... which are undeniably cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1213
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,011 Posts
    I think I'm gonna make an effort to actually get some figures and even paint them at some point. I want some Dark Angels with their robes though. The few gaming stores I've been in though have had nothing good though. There was a Games Workshop store in the area but it actually closed down not terribly long ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

14. Post #1214
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,924 Posts
    This. The movie Mobile Infantry is basically Imperial Guard "Win by superior manpower" but the whole point of the book was that the Mobile Infantry was a smaller force of highly trained volunteer soldiers in power armour whose skill, training and equipment made up for lack of numbers. They were the archetypal Space Marines and that always really bothered me about the movie that they scrapped that completely (I really like the book)
    They even have Chaplains and deploy to battle via drop pods. It's like reading a 40k book with way more politics and nukes.

Edited:

Btw 40k comics in September
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1215
    July 2010
    9,245 Posts
    They even have Chaplains and deploy to battle via drop pods. It's like reading a 40k book with way more politics and nukes.

Edited:

Btw 40k comics in September
    don't forget the shoulder fired rocket launchers and wrist flamers, along with the children psykers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #1216
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,768 Posts
    Considering how much WH40k rips off Starship Troopers and Dune, it's kinda cute to see people reference to them as "Pretty much 40k with X".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

17. Post #1217
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    5,389 Posts
    They were the archetypal Space Marines and that always really bothered me about the movie that they scrapped that completely (I really like the book)
    Initial drafts of the script had the full power armour from the books, but they just couldn't figure out how to do the armour with the budget they had.

They're following the books more closely for the reboot though since it's easier for them to just CG the power suits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events

18. Post #1218
    July 2010
    9,245 Posts
    Initial drafts of the script had the full power armour from the books, but they just couldn't figure out how to do the armour with the budget they had.

They're following the books more closely for the reboot though since it's easier for them to just CG the power suits.
    I guess I never really thought about budgetary reasons as being the cause for that. It makes sense though. To make a whole bunch of armour costumes that would be complex and still probably bad looking would cost a lot of money, and I dont think they could have made them CG at the time and if they did it would have looked bad (I cant watch that CG Starship Troopers tv show because 90's cg shows have not aged well) and still cost a lot of money.

I didnt even know there was a reboot in the works but I'm glad to hear they're following the book more closely. I dont mind angle that the Verhoven movie had, even though it does feel at points as though its mocking the source material, but as a fan of the book I do want something more faithful.

Edited:

It still bothers me to read that Verhoven didn't even read the book though =/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

19. Post #1219
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    11,122 Posts
    Kind of sucks they had to do it, but THQ just didn't have the money. It seems like they sunk a bit too much money into the actors though. With the decision to use only British actors, they went and hired some well known ones, which must have eaten into the budget quite a bit.
    Not as bad as Ultramarines The Movie, that not only butchered a Dan Abnett Script and spent all the money on top name voice actors, but then got a company who'se title of note was Bionicle 3 as the CGI company. Which resulted in the fact that the armor was modelled well, the faces and animations were horrible, least of all the fact that butchering up the script meant that the Chaplains Crozius turned into a ray gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #1220
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    3,924 Posts
    Return of Reckoning has raised it's level cap to 35
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

21. Post #1221
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,707 Posts
    Ive been meaning to try out return of reckoning, There isn't a single game i miss more than AOR, But their client download page is a mess atm and half the links there download the wrong files.
    Would I just be able to download the steam version and use that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #1222
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,336 Posts
    No, he's that big.

The Patriarch is obviously far bigger than a Space Marine, but even in Comparison to the Hybrid those helmets seem really small.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #1223
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,707 Posts
    The Patriarch is obviously far bigger than a Space Marine, but even in Comparison to the Hybrid those helmets seem really small.
    I think they are supposed to be fixed to a pillar in the background, the older 40k pics are some of my favourite but they certainly tend to be really busy with detail, often with character's standing around in strangely shaped rooms so it's hard to see what is supposed to be where.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1224
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    5,389 Posts
    When was the last time the Space Marine Bike sprues were updated? I was looking at the box and I swear the backpacks are the exact same ones from like 20 years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events

25. Post #1225
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,253 Posts
    reading Fall of Damnos

somehow the Necrons manage to actually have more character than the Space Morons or the humans in the book
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

26. Post #1226
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,994 Posts
    I dunno if you guys know but there is now P̶o̶r̶n̶h̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶4̶0̶k̶ Space Crusaders by ProdosGames.
    Only good thing they bring are neat looking bikes, walker and new daemon wife to greater daemon of nurgle.

Few chosen pics

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 16Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #1227
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    21,011 Posts
    That's... neat?
    To be fair, I'm totally alright with this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #1228
    December 2012
    3,954 Posts
    The Great Unclean One turned me blind.

An interpreter is typing this for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

29. Post #1229
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,768 Posts
    So the base kit for this has a 13+ and 18+ versions, and I don't understand why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Opera United States Show Events

30. Post #1230
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,545 Posts
    you could make a neat cyberpunk thing out of this if you put a ton of ork bitz and graffiti on the mech
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #1231
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,707 Posts
    Not a huge fan of nudity for the sake of it, but I really like the penitent engine thing, and the chaos obliterator style model. That female great unclean one is also disgusting/great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #1232
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,646 Posts

Finished up everything on my Knight except for decals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11 (list)

33. Post #1233
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,383 Posts
    Sorry, I just looked back at this picture and...

Is this like, a waste disposal gutter? Is the patriarch sitting on a glorified toilet?
    You can even see the fart gas coming out of the vents on each side. What the hell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #1234
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,253 Posts
    you could make a neat cyberpunk thing out of this if you put a ton of ork bitz and graffiti on the mech
    put something on the front and you have a kickass Dread conversion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events

35. Post #1235
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,053 Posts
    Sorry, I just looked back at this picture and...

Is this like, a waste disposal gutter? Is the patriarch sitting on a glorified toilet?
    You can even see the fart gas coming out of the vents on each side. What the hell?
    Behold the magical world of John Blanche channeling Giger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #1236
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Behold the magical world of John Blanche channeling Giger.
    Was just about to say, it's getting to be Geiger as fuck up in here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

37. Post #1237
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,253 Posts
    aww the insects have little highways over the sludge pool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #1238
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,208 Posts
    What sort of behavior does the Space marines have towards civilians exactly?

Let's say a few dudes are trapped in a burning building, do they try to save them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Norway Show Events

39. Post #1239
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,336 Posts

Let's say a few dudes are trapped in a burning building, do they try to save them?
    It really depends on the Chapter. Generally if there are Space Marines around they probably have more important things to do, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #1240
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,547 Posts

Salamanders and Wolves will. Or as I heard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)