1. Post #321
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Prototype for my entry for the SmileBASIC Ogiri

Got the gyroscope down pretty well. The idea is that the enemy there (may change the sprite later) will have a sword. She swings it at you at a certain angle, and you have to turn the 3DS so that your shovel is perpendicular to her slash-zone. slashes get quicker with added difficulty
    The video is private.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

2. Post #322
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    6,828 Posts
    Try again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,850 Posts
    Made a skate-ramp for the Marble Maze game.
    ...it took some time to make in SketchUp.
    I think UV-mapping this would be a nightmare
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Attempt 2, using a higher sampling rate and adjusted resonance.

ɛ

i

a

o

ʌ

5. Post #325
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    Attempt 2, using a higher sampling rate and adjusted resonance.

ɛ

i

a

o

ʌ
    Heh it sounds nice :D. This is formant right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events

6. Post #326
    Made a skate-ramp for the Marble Maze game.
    ...it took some time to make in SketchUp.
    I think UV-mapping this would be a nightmare
    UV mapping that is the same as just any other flat surface really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,850 Posts
    How? SketchUV is not really helping here.
    Working on a general colorpicker for Unity which will closely resemble the one in Photoshop, which I hope to release for free on the asset store:

god damn music stop going in my videos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Heh it sounds nice :D. This is formant right?
    Yes, formant synthesis... Kind of. I'm using a heavily-modified sample of my voice as the basis, running it through a series of band-pass filters to create the formants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    Can't you export it to blender? UV mapping in blender is a piece of cake. Just watch a 5 minute tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Can't you export it to blender? UV mapping in blender is a piece of cake. Just watch a 5 minute tutorial.
    Blender's automatic UV unwrapping is delicious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #331
    Gold Member

July 2006
    2,475 Posts
    everything in blender is delicious really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    support my deus ex fanfiction
    November 2009
    3,655 Posts
    Working on a general colorpicker for Unity which will closely resemble the one in Photoshop, which I hope to release for free on the asset store:

god damn music stop going in my videos
    i will love you forever if you release this. The one i'm using is terribad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,521 Posts
    I don't know how sketchup's UV stuff works, but in a normal 3D editor that loop would pretty much be as simple as cutting it in half (so you have both sides separated) and passing the two sides through cylindrical mapping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #334
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    Decided to add a quick shader editor to my project. Probably not going to add folder management or anything fancy, just a quick editor:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Decided to add a quick shader editor to my project. Probably not going to add folder management or anything fancy, just a quick editor:

Which GUI engine is that? Looks nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,655 Posts
    I would suggest using a tool that is intended for polygonal modelling/texturing/animation, i.e. not sketchup. Blender is a great free tool that is just as capable as any of the big software packages, but if you want to learn something more professional grade I suggest getting your hands on Maya (personal preference), or 3DS max.

Sketchup simply isn't intended for that kind of modelling, and I can't believe people bother to try to do stuff like UVing in it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #337
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    Yes, formant synthesis... Kind of. I'm using a heavily-modified sample of my voice as the basis, running it through a series of band-pass filters to create the formants.
    Well it's a progress, you can almost make machines that rant now :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #338
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Well it's a progress, you can almost make machines that rant now :)
    That's the plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,521 Posts
    I would suggest using a tool that is intended for polygonal modelling/texturing/animation, i.e. not sketchup. Blender is a great free tool that is just as capable as any of the big software packages, but if you want to learn something more professional grade I suggest getting your hands on Maya (personal preference), or 3DS max.

Sketchup simply isn't intended for that kind of modelling, and I can't believe people bother to try to do stuff like UVing in it...
    I've found Modo to be quite a nice alternative to 3DS Max. Definitely worth a go if you get a chance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,492 Posts
    Berkin, are you using this for reference? http://accent.gmu.edu/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

21. Post #341

January 2011
    495 Posts
    Which GUI engine is that? Looks nice.
    It looks like WPF to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    Berkin, are you using this for reference? http://accent.gmu.edu/
    I've never heard of this site before, but it does look useful. I'll check it out, thanks!

23. Post #343
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    It looks like WPF to me.
    It's indeed WPF, using MahApps for the window frame and MaterialDesignInXamlToolkit (yes, that's the actual name :p) for some Material stuff (although not very apparent here). And for completions sake, the syntax highlighting uses AvalonEdit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,843 Posts
    It's indeed WPF, using MahApps for the window frame and MaterialDesignInXamlToolkit (yes, that's the actual name :p) for some Material stuff (although not very apparent here). And for completions sake, the syntax highlighting uses AvalonEdit
    Honestly, if WPF wasn't restricted to one platform and was a bit more user-friendly, I might consider using it. Perspex looks promising, though (albeit early in development).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #345

December 2013
    1,797 Posts
    I'm working on remaking my shitty Lexer/RPN Evaluator thing in Java.
    Thanks to Berkin's advice, I got a better way to tokenize an expression and then it took me half of the day to make it actually sort the tokens, because I didn't assign the return value of the sort function to anything.

For this input,
    Code:
    _number = new _Number( 5 )
    the program outputs this:
    Code:
    <_number,VARIABLE,0>
    <=,OPERATOR,8>
    <new,VARIABLE,10>
    <_Number,VARIABLE,14>
    <(,OPERATOR,21>
    <5,NUMBER,23>
    <),OPERATOR,25>
    My code is currently extremely ugly, due to me just trying to brute force my way to a working implementation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Belgium Show Events

26. Post #346
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    Honestly, if WPF wasn't restricted to one platform and was a bit more user-friendly, I might consider using it. Perspex looks promising, though (albeit early in development).
    I don't mind the single platform that much. But i do dislike the binding system. It's not that it isn't powerful, but getting into it is quite the effort. And on in a "oh no, effort" kinda way. You can do everything in at least 3 ways, 2 of which need more code and complexity then just directly updating the ui.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #347
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    I'm working on remaking my shitty Lexer/RPN Evaluator thing in Java.
    Thanks to Berkin's advice, I got a better way to tokenize an expression and then it took me half of the day to make it actually sort the tokens, because I didn't assign the return value of the sort function to anything.

For this input,
    Code:
    _number = new _Number( 5 )
    the program outputs this:
    Code:
    <_number,VARIABLE,0>
    <=,OPERATOR,8>
    <new,VARIABLE,10>
    <_Number,VARIABLE,14>
    <(,OPERATOR,21>
    <5,NUMBER,23>
    <),OPERATOR,25>
    My code is currently extremely ugly, due to me just trying to brute force my way to a working implementation.
    new is a keyword not a variable!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #348
    x 1 (list)
    Dennab
    September 2011
    6,346 Posts
    I got a lifx bulb yesterday, time to have some fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events

29. Post #349
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Trying to get visibility.. not working so well
    Its a 2d tile based system, here is what I'm getting:

Here is without the raytracing

appears a bit off...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,842 Posts
    I decided to start reworking my grass/ground level foliage billboarding system.

It works mostly the way I want it.
    They tilt towards the camera as well as take into account the normal of the surface they are on. Super easy to generate this time around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

31. Post #351

December 2013
    1,797 Posts
    new is a keyword not a variable!
    I know, I was just trying to get it to work first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Belgium Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

33. Post #353
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,761 Posts
    I got resource network interlinking together. So basically you build a resource network, and it links together all the resource processing or storing things together underneath its dominion. I then added the ability for resource networks to connect to resource networks, did a bit of graph stuff, and now you can build whole chains of connected resource networks with all the resources dutifully shuffled between the semi-separate networks

Example showing power cells being filled up by a solar panel on a different network. The circles represent what the resource network can influence

Updated version with a slightly better looking interface (might be too transparent). At the moment resource networks have to actually include the other resource network, but i might change it so only their spheres of influence have to overlap

I also discovered that sfml's shape rendering AA only supports supersampling which is less than ideal, so while it looks pretty, performance is now struggling with a lot of circle objects

Edited:

So it turns out that I completely forgot to post about my smoke rendering project for my dissertation. To everyone that forgot (I can't believe you've done this), the idea was to take lower resolution smoke with very little turbulence, and then 'upscale' it to a higher resolution with a lot of turbulence in. The principle is that it should be a lot cheaper to fake high resolution smoke, and you actually don't care about the quality of the smoke simulation, and that it should all be gpu accelerated through opencl (worked cross platform in the end, intel + amd + nvidia somehow) and run in realtime without eating too much memory

So, the final result is that it worked, and it was something like twice as fast to use my gpu accelerated method than to simulate the higher resolution smoke

The most important part though, here are some pictures

No extra turbulence

Only high frequency turbulence

Only low frequency

Both (with low roughness, basically my ideal result here)

Both (with lower roughness)

pew pew pew

This tunnel contains no natural turbulence at all, its just a shitty completely smooth simulation upscaled to look turbulent. This one was taken to highlight the fact that it can turn blocky with too high a roughness

I was marked down for being unable to objectively show that high turbulence smoke looks better than completely smooth smoke. I mean, I'm not sure what they wanted from me, more turbulence is sort of just obviously better. Oh and, it wasn't theoretical enough apparently, I treated the equations as black boxes and focused on the implementation too much, despite the equations being derived by pixar (who wrote the only two papers that exist on what I was doing), and despite the entire point being whether or not it was technically feasible to do in realtime (pixar used a cpu implentation for their films, I modified it to run in realtime on a gpu!) but what are you going to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts

Edited:

feel I should mention that the art/sound assets are all goonstations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

35. Post #355
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,291 Posts

Edited:

feel I should mention that the art/sound assets are all goonstations
    This profoundly changed my views on life
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #356
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    glad i could help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,850 Posts
    I'm about halfway or so with the colorpicker.
    Still need to do a slider for alpha and enable the user inputs. Most of the tough shit is done... and I also need to clean up the code

Some things are not completely correct though, like the slider changing color when you're sliding it. That shit ain't right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    October 2010
    354 Posts
    I'm starting to learn about neural networks and trying to implement a simple perceptron that can be taught to perform basic logic operations such as OR, AND. What I don't get is the need for a bias node. Is the weighted bias node value supposed to represent the activation function threshold?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #359
    『  』
    June 2010
    923 Posts
    So I've been working on a networking framework for Python.

Here's the maximum amount of code needed for an echo server:

Code:
    import asyncio
    from bfnet import ButterflyHandler, Butterfly
    # Create your event loop.
    loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()

@asyncio.coroutine
    def main():
        my_handler = ButterflyHandler.get_handler(loop, log_level=logging.DEBUG, buffer_size=4096)
        my_server = yield from my_handler.create_server(("127.0.0.1", 8001), ("localhost.crt", "server.key", None))

@my_server.any_data
        @asyncio.coroutine
        def echo(data: bytes, butterfly: Butterfly, handler: ButterflyHandler):
            butterfly.write(data)

if __name__ == '__main__':
        loop.create_task(main())
        try: loop.run_forever()
        except KeyboardInterrupt: exit(0)
    Much simpler compared to the standard asyncio networking stuff.

Plus, it's secure automatically (forces TLS for all connections by default with secure settings enabled), and fully asynchronous, because it's based on asyncio.

Here's a more meaty example for a simple chatroom:

Code:
    import asyncio

from bfnet import Butterfly, ButterflyHandler
    # Create your event loop.
    loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()

class MyHandler(ButterflyHandler):
        @asyncio.coroutine
        def on_connection(self, butterfly: Butterfly):
            # Here we re-purpose the Butterfly dict.
            # Read in their nickname.
            butterfly.write(b"Nickname: ")
            nick = yield from butterfly.read()
            nick = nick.rstrip(b'\n').rstrip(b'\r')
            # Tell the others somebody has connected.
            self.logger.debug("{} has joined".format(nick.decode()))
            for bf, _ in self.butterflies.values():
                bf.write(nick + b" has joined the room\n")
            # Set the `nick` attribute on the Butterfly.
            butterfly.nick = nick
            # Begin handling normally.
            fut = self.begin_handling(butterfly)
            self.butterflies[nick] = (butterfly, fut)

@asyncio.coroutine
        def on_disconnect(self, butterfly: Butterfly):
            # Override the on_disconnect to cancel the correct futures.
            if not hasattr(butterfly, "nick"):
                self.logger.warning("Connection cancelled before on_connect finished - will be killed soon!")
                return
            if butterfly.nick in self.butterflies:
                bf = self.butterflies.pop(butterfly.nick)
                bf[1].cancel()

@asyncio.coroutine
    def main():
        my_handler = MyHandler.get_handler(loop=loop, log_level=logging.DEBUG)
        my_server = yield from my_handler.create_server(("127.0.0.1", 8001), ("localhost.crt", "server.key", None))

# Define our simple coroutine for handling messages.
        @my_server.any_data
        @asyncio.coroutine
        def _handle_data(data: bytes, butterfly: Butterfly, handler: ButterflyHandler):
            for bf in handler.butterflies.values():
                if bf[0] != butterfly:
                    bf[0].write(butterfly.nick + b": " + data)
    Pretty damn neat compared to Twisted (a clusterfuck), raw sockets (ew) or asyncio's default networking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    Writing a paper on a project and i found this gem: http://www.visuwords.com

Please, Berking, make one that doesn't crash every 2 seconds.

Edited:

It's so useful

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)