1. Post #3521
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,605 Posts
    something about the expanse I guess

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

2. Post #3522
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    Little late, but hey, "mulitplayer improvements".

Features
    - LOD Optimizations
    - Newly placed blocks inheriting the velocity of the player
    - Cutscene Editor Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=879883672

Fixes
    - fixed issue with grids and voxels not appearing from client
    - fixed issue with grid not reloading
    - fixed character leaning in certain situation when using mag boots
    - fixed crash when spawning in a small drill ship
    - fixed issue with synchronization of trees between client and server
    - fixed synchronization between client and server for corpse GPS marker
    - fixed issue with sub grids turning into station when their main grid was placed into voxel.

Hotfix 178.004:
    - added 15 M/s threshold for when placing blocks during movement
    - added mountpoint on small merge block
    - fixed crash when locking to another grid that is being controlled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3523
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    - fixed issue with sub grids turning into station when their main grid was placed into voxel.
    Horay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3524
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    24,119 Posts
    does FP still have a server?

follow up question, is that server active?

5. Post #3525
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    This is kinda worth posting
    http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/03/ch...se_14.html?m=1

In short, the dev branch is going away but that doesn't really change much in the end because we're still gonna get small weekly updates, and big ones will come out whenever they feel like it

Also new HUD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

6. Post #3526
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    Doesn't read well on sand. Is it any good? Who knows!

7. Post #3527
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    "fully moddable and can be customized per cockpit or helmet", you'll probably be able to change the opacity right from the start without even editing any files

8. Post #3528
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    Long video, mostly blahblahblah about where Marek's been and what the team are up to.

Features
    - New Multiplayer Scenario: Dead Drop Arena
    - Marek's Blog Post: Changes to Space Engineers Release System - http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/03/ch...elease_14.html

Fixes
    - fixed crash while showing gravity range
    - fixed crash while placing block into the voxel on dedicated server
    - fixed symbol @ not working in e-mail subscription on some keyboards
    - fixed moving platform does not move, when it is connected with voxel
    - fixed plane and line blocks do not have the correct ownership
    - fixed wheel steering while controlling vehicle from turret
    - reduced too bright whites on some voxel materials
    - corner LCDs renamed to top and bottom
    - suspension wheels renamed to left and right

9. Post #3529
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,271 Posts
    - fixed crash while showing gravity range
    FINALLY.

10. Post #3530
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    This is kinda worth posting
    http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/03/ch...se_14.html?m=1

In short, the dev branch is going away but that doesn't really change much in the end because we're still gonna get small weekly updates, and big ones will come out whenever they feel like it

Also new HUD
    All I ask is an MMO-like UI system wherein you can toggle, reposition, and resize UI elements on the fly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #3531
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    "We're gonna post minor updates every Thursday"

Hello, Engineers! We are happy to announce that today we are releasing the first iteration of the new heads-up display. Firstly you will notice that the screen is much less cluttered now as lots of the informational text has been replaced with bars and icons. A notable feature is that the oxygen and hydrogen bars indicate how many bottles you have in your inventory that are capable of replenishing your personal supply. The HUD contains a new speedometer and inventory capacity bar which updates as you fill your character's backpack, while the main toolbar has had numerous visual changes made to it while still retaining elements of the classic style.

Red hazard icons for a full inventory, low health and low oxygen will appear to alert the player when these particular stats are in the danger zone and to the right of the main toolbar you will find the new gravity indicator which shows the gravitational plane orientation relative to your character, including a velocity marker that displays when you're moving. When seated on a ship or station, you will see the bars on the right side of the screen light up. These indicate the power usage and hydrogen fuel levels of that grid. It’s worth noting that pressing tab once will hide the keybindings and pressing tab again will hide all of the HUD as before. You can also change the opacity of the HUD background via the game options.
    Nearly every element of the user interface has been updated including the main menu, block screen, control panel and much more. You will notice new icons on all of these pages and screens too! Overall, the UI and HUD now looks much cleaner, higher quality and more immersive! Lastly, as mentioned in previous videos, the HUD is fully moddable so modders… go crazy!

We would love to know your thoughts, so please leave any feedback on the new heads-up display and user interface in the comments below. In the following weeks, we’ll be improving, tweaking and iterating upon them so it’s now super important for us to gather the community’s feedback.

Features
    - New HUD, fully moddable
    - GUI cleanup with new default font
    - Example Mod: HUD Colors - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...scn=1490282446
    - Example Mod: HUD Colors Large Cockpit Only - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=889595992
    - Added slider for intensity of flares

Fixes
    - fixed crash in CubeGridSystems
    - fixed issue with explosions making giant debris appear when hitting voxels
    - fixed issues concerning camera zooming when moving fast
    - fixed issues with camera alignment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

12. Post #3532
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,118 Posts
    Definitely not a fan of the new HUD or the general flat and indistinct new look of the UI as a whole. Particularly, I'm not a fan of the new directional indicator and the fact that the recognizable unit of Gs has been replaced by uh

This number salad which I guess is acceleration, which on one hand is kind of a nice hard sci-fi touch sort of but on the other is kinda just obnoxious

Also the atmospheric o2 indicator's placement is just straight up nonsensical

Darkness is actually a thing again though, so that's nice

They've also definitely made improvements to the physics, too, 'cause that mining truck I keep hoping will one day be viable doesn't violently shake itself apart anymore, instead it just jitters madly around and it is hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #3533
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    At least it's updating for you. SE refuses to update because "content file locked", even after uninstalling/reinstalling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #3534
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,271 Posts
    Darkness is actually a thing again though, so that's nice
    HELL TO THE YES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #3535
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    Finally got it to update. Apparantley a system restart was all that was needed, meaning the "locked file" was still somehow loaded despite SE not running. (and the file the log pointed to, SpaceEngineers.exe, wasn't present in the directory listed )
    On another note, is it just me, or did they revert the component/tool icons to their older versions?

16. Post #3536
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    I wish the forward velocity indicator was just a floating thing on the main screen like in pretty much every space/flight sim instead of just a tiny thing in the corner.

Edited:

And that the on-screen artificial horizon line actually stayed on the horizon instead of vaguely pointing in its direction if you're not looking directly at it

17. Post #3537
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    Anybody else getting incredibly low LOD/view distance since a couple updates ago? It's never been this bad before

I barely got 10 blocks away from the windows and their frames already stopped rendering, it looks horrible

Edited:

Found a workaround, F12 -> Render -> Lodding -> set "Object distance mult" to something like 0.200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #3538
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,271 Posts
    HELL TO THE YES
    taking this back, nothing seems to have really changed for me. and why is there still atmospheric lighting on airless planetoids like the Moon?

also, performance seems worse than in a good while

19. Post #3539
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    taking this back, nothing seems to have really changed for me. and why is there still atmospheric lighting on airless planetoids like the Moon?

I've noticed it only gets really dark inside ships and buildings, it won't get pitch black on the surface of a planet, even in the middle of the night, which kinda sucks. Go inside a ship though and turn off the power, you won't be able to see a damn thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #3540
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    Space Engineers is the only program I have ever used that crashes my entire system on a diceroll when I click the "exit" button.

21. Post #3541
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,118 Posts

I've noticed it only gets really dark inside ships and buildings, it won't get pitch black on the surface of a planet, even in the middle of the night, which kinda sucks. Go inside a ship though and turn off the power, you won't be able to see a damn thing
    There was darkness on planets until the micropatch, but now the janky eye adaption is right back to its old wonky self and darkness only exists in very specific, annoying circumstances

At this point I find myself wishing they would just fucking ditch it and let darkness be universally, indiscriminately dark
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3542
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    I wish they posted fucking changelogs for those micropatches, too

And I don't think this game will ever have good adaptation, it would have to be completely aware of your surroundings at all times, checking if you're inside or outside, whether there are lights or windows in the room you're in, etc.
    Eye adaptation that only works based on what's currently on your screen will never be 100% accurate but I think it's the best we'll ever get

23. Post #3543
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    So I tried launching SE again today, but it refused because the exe was missing.
    It took another system restart to get it to re-acquire the missing file, too.
    The exe was also missing the last time this happened.
    The fuck is going on?

24. Post #3544
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    24,119 Posts
    So I tried launching SE again today, but it refused because the exe was missing.
    It took another system restart to get it to re-acquire the missing file, too.
    The exe was also missing the last time this happened.
    The fuck is going on?
    Did your antivirus software quarantine or delete it?

25. Post #3545
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    Did your antivirus software quarantine or delete it?
    ...Fuck me, it is.
    And Arduino, too? Fuck's sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #3546
    ...Fuck me, it is.
    And Arduino, too? Fuck's sake.
    What AV are you using?

27. Post #3547
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    aVast!. It might be on its way out though, up until recently it transformed itself into some sort of "nagware", constantly popping up in the corner asking me to install things that only premium subscribers can use. It's stopped recently, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3548
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,951 Posts
    It seems when I'm in space (not so much the planets) my game consistently freezes every 10 seconds or so for several seconds. I don't think it's my specs as they should be more than enough to run this game at the graphics settings I run it at (medium)

But here they are anyways
    Intel i5-6500
    nVidia 970
    16GB DDR3

Any suggestions?

29. Post #3549
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts

Those wheels though

30. Post #3550
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,271 Posts
    i wonder if we'll ever get a fix to whatever causes ships with physical bits on them to slowly descend in gravity

the massive thruster arrays of my ships can't hold the things up if there's one small part of a block sitting on them

31. Post #3551
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,811 Posts
    i wonder if we'll ever get a fix to whatever causes ships with physical bits on them to slowly descend in gravity

the massive thruster arrays of my ships can't hold the things up if there's one small part of a block sitting on them
    I think he said in the video above they fixed it?

32. Post #3552
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,271 Posts
    that was what i wanted to hear but i'm pretty sure it was to fix a problem concerning ships with multiple types of thrusters on them

33. Post #3553
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,684 Posts
    Did he say 'shit dampeners' at 0:27?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #3554
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,671 Posts
    Did he say 'shit dampeners' at 0:27?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

35. Post #3555
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,071 Posts
    More Better Wheels™ footage

Looks like they're finally changing their collision models to cylinders, too.
    And before you say "but all games use spheres because they're more performance friendly", in such a physics based game like this I'd rather take the small performance hit and be able to build around them easily instead of guessing whether the invisible spheres are gonna hit the wheel well or not.

36. Post #3556
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    Most of the time wheels are just a single raycast, but that's because they're always inside a wheel well.

Space Engineers has the luxury of being unable to do much of anything in an established way.

37. Post #3557
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    The improved wheels might be enough to convince me to try Spengies again. I'm yet to try out scenarios either, I'm hoping I don't get bored of it again so quickly.

38. Post #3558
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    Space Engineers isn't so much a game as it is a brilliant toolkit for creating space survival scenarios.

They really need more of the latter to actually come with it.

Deserts of Kharak style salvage fueled road trips are hella-fun. Have a far-off goal of some sort (mine was a ship capable of merging the convoy and travelling into space) and a dungeon master type player who sets up NPC vehicles / ships to attack the convoy. The multiplayer is stable enough that you can walk around and do things on a moving vehicle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #3559
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,046 Posts
    Last time I played was when multiplayer and the first planets iteration got added.

Is it about time to give it another go?

Was November 2015 roughy.

40. Post #3560
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    10,010 Posts
    Space Engineers isn't so much a game as it is a brilliant toolkit for creating space survival scenarios.

They really need more of the latter to actually come with it.

Deserts of Kharak style salvage fueled road trips are hella-fun. Have a far-off goal of some sort (mine was a ship capable of merging the convoy and travelling into space) and a dungeon master type player who sets up NPC vehicles / ships to attack the convoy. The multiplayer is stable enough that you can walk around and do things on a moving vehicle.
    Holy fuck I'd love that.