1. Post #321
    Dennab
    July 2013
    2,553 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPad Safari Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Optimistic Optimistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    July 2012
    8,594 Posts
    Why would Valve care about mods?
    Because almost all of their games started out as mods?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #323
    September 2015
    4 Posts
    So hey, just checked through everything on my computer didn't see the file even with hidden folders on, nothing suspicious seemed to be happening days after last playing.

Was on a normal server a few days back and he was on the server, so I've decided to factory reset my computer clean of everything just to be safe. Will that be enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Internet Explorer 10 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #324
    December 2008
    734 Posts
    Why would Valve care about mods?
    Didn't TF2 have the same problem with sprays, resulting in people having to set sv_allowupload to 0 as a precaution? Honestly it's kinda shitty to make security fixes on a game and not reflect those changes on their SDKs, considering the point of an SDK is for people to actually use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #325

February 2015
    43 Posts
    i have put a post up for those browsing r/tf2 if this is unwanted to alert them of the issue let me know and i will remove it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

6. Post #326
    "You didn't have to cut me off" - Goatse <3
    June 2010
    875 Posts
    nvm just gonna backup some shit and reformat my drive. never thought that the dude who's shitty gmod videos i watched when i was 14 would infect my computer through an obscure source mod 5 years down the line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    I'm a very kind and awesome person!
    June 2010
    12,336 Posts
    nvm just gonna backup some shit and reformat my drive. never thought that the dude who's shitty gmod videos i watched when i was 14 would infect my computer through an obscure source mod 5 years down the line.
    It's not him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,548 Posts
    On the other hand, new valve isn't old valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #329
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    19,732 Posts
    On the other hand, new valve isn't old valve.
    But Dota 2 was just given mod tools and custom game support. I understand we're all angry at Valve for our own reasons but let's not be delusional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    22,628 Posts
    At this point, I think someone should kill that RubberFruitFuck.

And I don't mean in game, I mean in real life.
    this is a very weird thing to say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

11. Post #331
    Resident Beat Eater.

August 2009
    10,848 Posts
    But Dota 2 was just given mod tools and custom game support. I understand we're all angry at Valve for our own reasons but let's not be delusional.
    I think it's fair to be upset with Valve given the circumstances.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events

12. Post #332
    March 2013
    2,131 Posts
    They enforced sv_pure on all of their servers, which is enough to drive me insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    3,195 Posts
    is your youtube channel actually OnYourComputer? i really like your videos and feel awful this mod was the cause for you to get a virus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #334
    "You didn't have to cut me off" - Goatse <3
    June 2010
    875 Posts
    is your youtube channel actually OnYourComputer? i really like your videos and feel awful this mod was the cause for you to get a virus
    ye thats me! dont worry about it bud its all good ive needed to reformat for some time and this just gives me an excuse to get off my lazy ass and do it finally. plus tf2c was the most fun ive had with a game in months!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    Alrighty, right! Am reinstalling windows right now, hopefully this works!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,842 Posts
    I never downloaded dm_dustbowl, played with any of the people behind this, and my screensaver pops up as it should, the only thing I had was the svchost.exe in my SDK folder and whatever else a couple of thorough virus scans cleaned up. I've been able to restart, and reboot my computer without any issues multiple times since the discovery of this virus.

Am I safe now? I know you guys are telling me and others who aren't sure to reformat just to be safe, but I have 3 hard drives with many, many years worth of files on each and I don't want to lose all of them, especially if I already got rid of everything and it wasn't necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events

17. Post #337
    Resident Beat Eater.

August 2009
    10,848 Posts
    Go into safe mode and browse your Windows folder as well as %APPDATA%. The viruses that keep reproducing themselves like to hide stuff in there, usually as gibberish files.

That's not to say that whatever this is will always follow that format in those folders, however those are common places to hide stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events

18. Post #338
    January 2013
    329 Posts
    "Aw man, this tf2 mod looks really cool! I'm gonna download-

Oh, some hacker fucked everything the day I wanted to try it?

Hey, alright."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    January 2012
    856 Posts
    Booting back to an old Restore Point should be fine, right? I ran several scans and all came up empty, but this whole thing is bothering me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

20. Post #340
    Resident Beat Eater.

August 2009
    10,848 Posts
    "Aw man, this tf2 mod looks really cool! I'm gonna download-

Oh, some hacker fucked everything the day I wanted to try it?

Hey, alright."
    It could have been worse. It could have been the day after you tried it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,483 Posts
    So... does anyone know why the crouch walking animations for the nailgun aren't used?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

22. Post #342
    March 2010
    47 Posts
    So, can I just do a System Restore, or do I have to do a complete format? Because I do not have a Windows CD since it came pre-installed, and downloading the ISO to a thumb drive results in errors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

23. Post #343
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    FML
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    January 2013
    1,506 Posts
    So was it ever confirmed whether it was SPRAYS or SOUNDSPRAYS involved in the hackery method? If it's soundsprays, it might aswell be possible in official valve games which support it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Belgium Show Events

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,785 Posts
    Yo. So, has anyone been infected but did scans with eset and malwarebytes, and also run a dds, no sound files and no dm_dustbowl and everything looked ok? just slightly paranoid. I probably dont have it, but you can never be too sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    47,365 Posts
    well this sucks
    was going to download and rebuild my tf2c server if there still aren't any for the AU/NZ region and return and contribute but i'll give it a few days till there's a certain fix

unless there already is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. New Zealand Show Events

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    2,007 Posts
    No really, Valve doesn't care. Ideally they want every game to be a sterile, controlled experience like you see with CSGO and DOTA2 now (hint: see mods for those games?).

The SDK is certainly not their priority. At least not the Source 1 version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #348
    June 2014
    2,379 Posts
    Whoever is responsible for all the hacks and shit needs to face serious consequences. Like, imprisonment. I'm glad I only recently installed the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,684 Posts
    No really, Valve doesn't care. Ideally they want every game to be a sterile, controlled experience like you see with CSGO and DOTA2 now (hint: see mods for those games?).
    Uhm yeah

Dota 2 with rebirth is like the most moddable mp game they released since HL2: DM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Poland Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,017 Posts
    Yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 2 (list)

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    47,365 Posts
    Uhm yeah

Dota 2 with rebirth is like the most moddable mp game they released since HL2: DM
    Then we have Left 4 Dead 2...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,483 Posts
    I think that it could be safe to say that valve is certainly playing it more safe than they originally were.

Dont rate my posts postal youre not allowed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #353
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,842 Posts
    new valve or not, it was short sighted of them NOT to patch an exploit in all versions of their engine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Safari Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

34. Post #354
    January 2012
    189 Posts
    It's a shame sound sprays will have to be removed to fix the exploit - it was fun whilst it lasted.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,382 Posts
    Aw, and I was hyped to try out soundsprays in TF2C once I finished building my new PC. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Edited:

So, can I just do a System Restore, or do I have to do a complete format? Because I do not have a Windows CD since it came pre-installed, and downloading the ISO to a thumb drive results in errors.
    Try using Rufus :https://rufus.akeo.ie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Sweden Show Events

36. Post #356
    August 2013
    4,446 Posts
    Soundsprays were honestly one of the reasons I even got into TF2C. Shame we can't have fun things, tho it was great confusing people with Smash Mouth while it lasted.

I'm just glad more people weren't hit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #357
    Resident Beat Eater.

August 2009
    10,848 Posts
    Sound sprays aren't the problem - the exploit is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    January 2012
    12 Posts
    Sound sprays aren't the problem - the exploit is.
    Exploits would not be an issue if there were no assholes prepared to use them. Can't fix people, I guess.

Anyway, that explains why there were only a couple of people playing yesterday. I completely missed all the news about this and played yesterday. I found none of the files mentioned above, so I guess I am safe(?).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Hungary Show Events

39. Post #359
    November 2010
    257 Posts
    Soundsprays were honestly one of the reasons I even got into TF2C. Shame we can't have fun things, tho it was great confusing people with Smash Mouth while it lasted.

I'm just glad more people weren't hit.
    Yeah, it is an utter shame, I would play insults from Kingpin Life of Crime whenever I killed a guy, had alot of fun with "Here's your fuckin' dollar". I just hope this problem is sorted asap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #360
    December 2013
    4,772 Posts
    I was thinking of a neat little easter egg for in TF2C; if you would play as a Pyro and used the Konami code while playing the game would switch to Pyrovision (Your weapon changing its skin to the Rainblower, things like that) untill you die.

Ofcourse I dunno if it should be in TF2C in the sense of keeping the game focused, or actually if it's possible to port it over at all, but I thought would be a neat little thingy as nod to Meet the Pyro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)