1. Post #281
    November 2014
    981 Posts
    I'll restore my computer to when it was on August 5th, 2015. That's before I even played with TheRubberFruitFace, so I'm good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events

2. Post #282
    August 2015
    30 Posts
    I searching for a TF2C Dustbowl file and scanning my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    3,367 Posts
    just read it, am idiot.
    But one question, can the virus infect the windows 8 installation cd
    i seriously doubt it, this exploit was used before 7 even came out
    just do a reset, could be faster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events

4. Post #284
    August 2015
    30 Posts
    I have A TF2C dustdowl map. o.o

Edited:

*Dustbowl

Edited:

*Dustbowl

(User was banned for this post ("learn to use the edit feature and put more effort into your posts already" - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #285
    November 2014
    981 Posts

Edited:

*Dustbowl

Edited:

*Dustbowl
    RESET YOUR COMPUTER! Make sure to back up all your stuff that you need on something like OneDrive or MediaFire.

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,550 Posts

Edited:

*Dustbowl

Edited:

*Dustbowl
    First off : you're bordering on shitposting with all the consecutive posts

Now, you need to have a DM_Dustbowl, not just any dustbowl. Dustbowl is a CP map I think? So of course you'd have a copy of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    3,367 Posts
    yes I still have the disk, so just use that as my recovery media thing

edit: another dumb computer iliterate question, but can this infect my usb mouse and keyboard or headphones.
    calm down
    no, headphones can not be infected. special gaming mouses/keyboards aka razer might, though.

8. Post #288
    August 2015
    30 Posts
    RESET YOUR COMPUTER! Make sure to back up all your stuff that you need on something like OneDrive or MediaFire.
    It only comes up with models and I never played with Rubber. My anti-virus blocked it. I don't remember playing the map tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #289
    July 2012
    8,711 Posts
    All this shit makes me glad that my internet made the game too laggy for me a few days ago. The last time I played was on Sunday, and I don't have any of the red alerts that people have reported.

This is really retarded, I feel sorry for all the people who have to reformat their computers because some tools wanted to stir up trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #290
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    I am at the final part, "just remove my files" or "fully clean the drive"
    (aka which one will let me still use this pc without having to buy a new windows 8.1 disk)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events

11. Post #291
    Gold Member

August 2012
    2,042 Posts
    All this shit makes me glad that my internet made the game too laggy for me a few days ago. The last time I played was on Sunday, and I don't have any of the red alerts that people have reported.

This is really retarded, I feel sorry for all the people who have to reformat their computers because some tools wanted to stir up trouble.
    Windows is a secure OS (sarcasm). They let people run admin accounts by default and run UAC at half-ass settings, or completely turned off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

12. Post #292
    August 2015
    30 Posts
    I have no DM_Dustbowl YUS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    3,367 Posts
    I am at the final part, "just remove my files" or "fully clean the drive"
    (aka which one will let me still use this pc without having to buy a new windows 8.1 disk)
    either
    If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, resetting your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the reset has finished

14. Post #294
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    so 100% sure I can reinstall disk after fully reformatting

15. Post #295
    Dennab
    January 2015
    897 Posts
    So, when did he start doing this shit? Last I played was opening night on friday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events

16. Post #296
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    So, when did he start doing this shit? Last I played was opening night on friday.
    Check your Source SDK folder for svchost.exe, if it isn't there, you are probably safe.

17. Post #297
    Gold Member

August 2012
    2,042 Posts
    Check your Source SDK file for svchost.exe, if it isn't there, you are probably safe.
    Also check for dm_dustbowl in the maps folder (tf2classic/maps or tf2classic/download/maps)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    December 2014
    24 Posts
    i'm glad i'm not a paranoid person or else i'd be freaking out about this entire thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #299

September 2015
    12 Posts
    I found nothing before and after I unistalled Source SDK,scanned it with panda,malewarebytes and EST(confirmed to be able to detect it),nothing.I haven't noticed any of the effects,my items haven't been stolen, svchost.exe was last updated months ago,scanning and rescanning nothing. Am I safe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

20. Post #300
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    I found nothing before and after I unistalled Source SDK,scanned it with panda,malewarebytes and EST(confirmed to be able to detect it),nothing.I haven't noticed any of the effects,my items haven't been stolen, svchost.exe was last updated months ago,scanning and rescanning nothing. Am I safe?
    where was svchost.exe? If it was in system 32, you should be safe.

21. Post #301
    January 2015
    26 Posts
    I did a file search for "dustbowl", and proceeded to panic when I saw that I had a version that wasn't a cp. Then I realized that tr_dustbowl is the edited version used for training in default TF2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    I know this is beggy but PLEASE.
    Yes or no, if I full clean drive, can I use use the same windows disk to install windows again without needing to spend a dime.

23. Post #303
    December 2014
    24 Posts
    I know this is beggy but PLEASE.
    Yes or no, if I full clean drive, can I use use the same windows disk to install windows again without needing to spend a dime.
    you should definitely be able to so long as you still have the serial key that came with it so you can activate it again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

24. Post #304
    September 2015
    13 Posts
    you should definitely be able to so long as you still have the serial key that came with it so you can activate it again
    Thank you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #305
    Well, I didn't have any of the offending files mentioned so I guess I'll wait a bit and see how the situation develops. I think I'm okay, but who knows at this point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #306

September 2015
    12 Posts
    where was svchost.exe? If it was in system 32, you should be safe.

27. Post #307
    November 2014
    981 Posts
    It spreads through soundsprays so if you had cl_customsound (I do not know what command it is) set to 1, then you might be infected.

28. Post #308
    June 2014
    3,003 Posts
    It spreads through soundsprays so if you had cl_customsound (I do not know what command it is) set to 1, then you might be infected.
    sv_allowupload 1 and (serverside) sv_upload 1 are also some of the commands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

29. Post #309
    Gold Member

August 2012
    2,042 Posts
    which was turned on by default

ALSO a thing you can try to see if you're infected: See if your screensaver comes up at all. If it nevers comes up that might be sign for suspicion.

check for logs in C:/ProgramData too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #310
    "You didn't have to cut me off" - Goatse <3
    June 2010
    842 Posts
    hey so yeah i had both the svchost.exe and the dm_dusbowl map in my folders and i do recall playing with rubberfruit. ive never reformatted before so if I do that can I back up files on my computer to another drive or is every file on my computer compromised?

also id like to add this is fucking ridiculous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,272 Posts
    My computer should go to sleep mode by itself after half an hour if nobody is using it or music isn't playing in the player of my choice. Here's hoping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Finland Show Events

32. Post #312
    Dennab
    January 2015
    897 Posts
    I have none of the infected files, I feel relieved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

33. Post #313
    "You didn't have to cut me off" - Goatse <3
    June 2010
    842 Posts
    Another quick question, if i do a system restore to a point before this all happened, would that be enough or is reformatting the only option?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

34. Post #314
    January 2014
    477 Posts
    I have none of the infected files, I feel relieved.
    The files are suppose to only be in the tf2classic folder right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Portugal Show Events

35. Post #315
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,182 Posts
    How can something like this be fixed in vanilla TF2 but not patched in the 2013 Source SDK Base?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #316
    November 2014
    262 Posts
    The files are suppose to only be in the tf2classic folder right?
    The svchost.exe is usually in the Source SDK Multiplayer 2013 folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    3,367 Posts
    Just a heads up that rubberfruit is still in the developer steam group so you might want to take him out of there ASAP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #318
    January 2015
    26 Posts
    Left my computer for a bit, and my lovely Windows 9X era maze popped up, so I'm assuming that I got lucky and made it our unaffected. I'm going to let my virus scan finish up though, just to be on the safe side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 Show Events

39. Post #319

September 2015
    12 Posts
    which was turned on by default

ALSO a thing you can try to see if you're infected: See if your screensaver comes up at all. If it nevers comes up that might be sign for suspicion.

check for logs in C:/ProgramData too
    Do I go to my logs folder? If so where do I look?

40. Post #320
    Gold Member

August 2012
    2,042 Posts
    How can something like this be fixed in vanilla TF2 but not patched in the 2013 Source SDK Base?
    Why would Valve care about mods?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)