1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,201 Posts
    Hey all! I made a guide for people looking to make a Deathmatch map on our official forums. If you really want to make your DM map shine within TF2C, this guide should help you out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,243 Posts
    has anyone tried making harvest into a DM map?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #83
    January 2012
    872 Posts
    Would it be possible to port some of the older artpass maps that weren't accepted by Valve? I feel like a few in particular could fit in well, Acegikmo's in particular

I think someone's working on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    June 2014
    246 Posts

We have an official Randomizer server now and it's super fun. :D Here a little video of TF2c's randomizer.
    I absolutely love this. This looks so good thanks to the C-Model system TF2c uses now, miles ahead of the official one.

Also, is that footage of the chainsaw in action?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    January 2014
    151 Posts
    What do you guys think?
    Agree = It's alright. - Disagree = Eeewww. and I'll take anything else as "Make it better."
    seeing myself at 0:42 threw me for a loop lmao
    but i think you've got something nice going so far, my first thought is that the intro part with all the dates kind of drags on for a while, but i suppose it's kind of necessary if you want it to match up with the pacing of the music

also side note: it struck me a bit ago that the old lowpoly model pack would work seamlessly with this mod considering there's no cosmetics that the devs would need to ensure are compatible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    February 2014
    750 Posts
    I absolutely love this. This looks so good thanks to the C-Model system TF2c uses now, miles ahead of the official one.

Also, is that footage of the chainsaw in action?
    Actually the possibility of making arms doing animations and therefore getting this result was totally possible with sourcemod. I myself fixed it a while ago but for some unknown reason my brain forgpt to upload it anywhere. It was really fun punching bots as a scout on my listen server tho.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    August 2010
    1,264 Posts
    I've been thinking. Since there is a Deathmatch mode, what about making a Duel mode? Where people 1vs1 while others watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    September 2013
    106 Posts
    Could you have Spy's Butterfly Knife to show blood which looks like's meet the spy's when you backstab someone?
    For Example: Demoman's Bottle beaks when he delivers a critical hit on someone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #89
    June 2015
    134 Posts
    I've attempted to, but I can't figure out how to get the halloween props/materials to play nicely in TF2C despite me extracting them from TF2.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    February 2010
    1,191 Posts
    What do you guys think?
    Agree = It's alright. - Disagree = Eeewww. and I'll take anything else as "Make it better."
    I always wanted to have that first TF2 trailer gone remake in SFM and turned into a new game op. Maybe the Merc could have his time showing up at the end as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #91
    February 2015
    342 Posts
    I've attempted to, but I can't figure out how to get the halloween props/materials to play nicely in TF2C despite me extracting them from TF2.

Unless I was looking at the wrong models, that should be using "materials\models\props_halloween\pumpkin.vmt"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    June 2015
    134 Posts
    Unless I was looking at the wrong models, that should be using "materials\models\props_halloween\pumpkin.vmt"
    I extracted the models/materials from TF2 and put them in TF2C's models/materials folder. This method has worked 100% of the time with previous assets from TF2 to TF2C, but for whatever reason. Halloween models/materials tell me to go fuck myself :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

13. Post #93
    March 2010
    47 Posts
    new saw? Do you mean the needle?
    Meant the chain saw, but I saw it in the Randomizer server so I guess it wasn't exactly added yet(?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    December 2014
    24 Posts
    I extracted the models/materials from TF2 and put them in TF2C's models/materials folder. This method has worked 100% of the time with previous assets from TF2 to TF2C, but for whatever reason. Halloween models/materials tell me to go fuck myself :(
    the pumpkin models call to a texture that needs to be in the same folder as the models. it's fucked and stupid but that's how i got it working earlier.

as for my turning harvest into dm, my version of hammer refuses to compile the map due to some skybox issue, so i'm officially giving up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,344 Posts
    TF2C mapper here, so I have finished getting my dm map to a workable state, but we don't exactly have a beta update planned yet so I have no real way to get it tested. Should I post it in the thread for the server owners to give it a try? It's about as finished as dm_wiseau (perhaps a bit more artpassed), and it's only about 3 MB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,445 Posts
    TF2C mapper here, so I have finished getting my dm map to a workable state, but we don't exactly have a beta update planned yet so I have no real way to get it tested. Should I post it in the thread for the server owners to give it a try? It's about as finished as dm_wiseau (perhaps a bit more artpassed), and it's only about 3 MB.
    Can't really go wrong with more maps!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Italy Show Events

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,344 Posts
    Okay so here it goes, dm_axiomax_a1

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2E...ew?usp=sharing

if you have any feedback, feel free to go to my profile and leave me a profile message. Anything can help!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    June 2015
    134 Posts
    the pumpkin models call to a texture that needs to be in the same folder as the models. it's fucked and stupid but that's how i got it working earlier.

as for my turning harvest into dm, my version of hammer refuses to compile the map due to some skybox issue, so i'm officially giving up.
    Thanks, yeah I still can't figure it out. I'm giving up on it too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    December 2014
    24 Posts
    Thanks, yeah I still can't figure it out. I'm giving up on it too.

like this makes them show up with the proper textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

20. Post #100
    June 2014
    2,868 Posts
    dm_badlands so far

All that really needs to be finished is proper placement of spawns, pills, etc and fixing the lightmap + cubemap errors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #101

July 2014
    52 Posts
    dm_badlands so far

All that really needs to be finished is proper placement of spawns, pills, etc and fixing the lightmap + cubemap errors.
    Looks nice! The skybox texture you're using looks a bit odd, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #102
    January 2012
    401 Posts
    I might be very late, but has support for climbable ladders been considered? Was always strange how TF2 was missing that feature, would be interesting to have as an option for future maps and/or remaking some TFC maps.

And since there's all this talk about soundsprays, I could make a tutorial for you peeps to give them lipsync (since there doesn't seem to be a written tutorial to setup and use faceposer for TF2). Very straightforward once it's set up and it really makes them stand out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,201 Posts
    There are climbable ladders in TF2c. They are currently used in DM_Wiseau and DM_2fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    March 2012
    180 Posts
    Can we get player collision in the DM mode, please? (Atleast a cvar for server administrators)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #105
    March 2010
    47 Posts
    I might be very late, but has support for climbable ladders been considered? Was always strange how TF2 was missing that feature, would be interesting to have as an option for future maps and/or remaking some TFC maps.
    I always figured it was to emphasize class movements, more specifically like Scout's double jump, rocket and sticky jumping, and maybe the devs felt it was clunky and went with ramps.

Can we get player collision in the DM mode, please? (Atleast a cvar for server administrators)
    This, especially the cvar part for admins. Sometimes I like just bhopping around and no collision is better, but when playing slow I'd like collision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #106
    November 2010
    75 Posts
    I have been eating away on Hammer for the past few days making a DM map. Although I have used Hammer quite a lot, I have never attempted to make any maps with true gameplay. So I present to you...

HARVEST HOLOCAUST
    a.k.a. dm_holocaust_a1

My first gameplay-oriented Source level, this map originally started out as a remake of E1L1 from Duke Nukem 3D but has grown (slightly) in size and has been tweaked for more wide open deathmatch gameplay.
    This may seem amateurish and somewhat lacking right now, but the map is far from complete, and later builds will probably feature more areas to fight in. Open play testing will really help, constructive criticism is appreciated and any suggestions that will improve gameplay will be took into consideration.

Thank you to the Development Team, this mod has got me glued to my seat and is easily one of my favorite modifications ever, it is up there with Black Mesa, THUG Pro and Fistful of Frags, even if it is a work-in-progress.

EDIT
    Just wanted to share an overview of the map in case anyone is interested.

Please note that this image is taken from a slightly altered version of the map, I only replaced several materials (such as some dev / measure textures) with the nodraw texture, created a better skybox and slightly optimized several areas, other than that it is much of the same.

More screenshots
    http://imgur.com/a/etozi#7

Download
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2vvs54eop...st_a1.bsp?dl=0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    December 2014
    249 Posts
    Could you have Spy's Butterfly Knife to show blood which looks like's meet the spy's when you backstab someone?
    That'd be a really neat feature

also
    http://tf2.gamebanana.com/skins/83181

There you go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Peru Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    July 2013
    238 Posts

also

There you go
    I would actually like this to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,507 Posts

also

There you go
    I think the actual texture is in the SFM leak too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #110
    Dennab
    November 2014
    458 Posts
    I would actually like this to.
    What about a bloody bone saw after kill?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #111
    November 2014
    47 Posts
    late but that chainsaw draw animation is absolutely stellar i love the menacing fist shaking he gives after it's powered up

edit: looking at it again it definitely needs to be smoother but still i think it's great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    December 2008
    731 Posts
    This mod has come a long way in a pretty short amount of time. It's starting to really flesh out. Keep up the great work, guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    August 2013
    480 Posts

By creating a tall and architecturally different object in a seemingly repetitive environment I've given the players a focal point that the map can revolve around, something different compared to other areas of the map that draws people towards it. (Not to mention these kind of things make great selling points.) Originally going to be a clock tower, and previously this hideous structure that only I will know it became a tall light house blended with a Japanese temple roof set to become this strange yet interesting beacon of interest. Basically landscape urbanism without the urbanism or the landscaping.

Also this shit is making disturbing amounts of visleafs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    5,703 Posts
    func_detail is your friend

Ideally, you want visleafs the size of entire rooms. This video explains it very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    278 Posts
    func_detail is your friend

Ideally, you want visleafs the size of entire rooms. This video explains it very well.
    In some cases sure but not in all cases, Larger rooms honestly should have more (not loads but enough that you're not rendering the entire room when you're only nearby).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    June 2015
    134 Posts
    What is everyone's opinion regarding max slot size for a Deathmatch server? 32 seems a bit too much and 12 to 16 seem just about right imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,445 Posts
    What is everyone's opinion regarding max slot size for a Deathmatch server? 32 seems a bit too much and 12 to 16 seem just about right imo.
    Depends on the map, but I'd say that 16 is good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #118
    November 2014
    222 Posts
    Or the maps has to be bigger for this amount of players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Firefox Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,996 Posts
    I'll say something about the mid point between Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPad Safari Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    June 2015
    134 Posts
    I'm going to put the FragFrog server @ 16 slots for now to see how well it's received. I've also set the fraglimit to 60 from 75 since it's a lot less hectic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)