1. Post #1
    July 2013
    5,575 Posts
    Halo Wars, the Xbox 360 RTS that pit humans and Covenant against one another in top-down strategic battles, is getting a sequel bound for Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. What's more, it's being developed by Creative Assembly, the studio behind the Total War franchise.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/creative-a...nd-windows-10/

2. Post #2
    August 2013
    5,237 Posts
    Another goddamn overhead RTS, because that's what people have been asking for in terms of Halo. Can't say I trust Creative Assembly with how awful Total War: Rome 2 was on launch either.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    29,239 Posts
    Another goddamn overhead RTS, because that's what people have been asking for in terms of Halo. Can't say I trust Creative Assembly with how awful Total War: Rome 2 was on launch either.
    i dont get how making a rts is a bad thing, theres basically none coming out anyway

4. Post #4
    August 2013
    5,237 Posts
    i dont get how making a rts is a bad thing, theres basically none coming out anyway
    There's Total Warhammer and the final Star Craft II expansion coming out around the corner. The current big RTS games still got large communities, making another reskin nobody asked for wouldn't do much.

Point still stands; people want an actual shooter Halo on PC, not some spinoff title.

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    March 2012
    7,323 Posts
    The only RTS games I really want are a proper new age of empires and one more good stronghold game (anything after crusader is shit and anyone that says otherwise is a fool). But apparently more over simplified combat triangle garbage is on the pipe line instead. The sci-fi rts genre has plenty of better games to look forward to than another Halo RTS anyway.

6. Post #6
    Not to mention I thought Halo Wars was like universally hated by everyone. I wasn't very impressed with it at all personally, but at least the cinematic was bad ass i suppose.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    7,328 Posts
    I don't like what they're doing, but I can't exactly blame them for doing it. They want to give people on PC as much as they can without having to give up mainline Halo games, because they need those to sell consoles.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,531 Posts
    Give us Reach 2 or ODST 2 then.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    17,413 Posts
    There's Total Warhammer and the final Star Craft II expansion coming out around the corner. The current big RTS games still got large communities, making another reskin nobody asked for wouldn't do much.
    Assuming this is the case, could just end up being a really good RTS, who knows it's only just been announced.

10. Post #10
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    2,806 Posts
    We need a proper Halo RTS after the shitty one we got from Ensemble Studios (Which I had high hopes for at first...). I have faith in Creative Assembly, though I wonder if its going to be a base builder like the original or if it will be a TBS/RTS Hybrid like most of CA's work.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,168 Posts
    Can we just fucking have halo 3 already, not this spin-off bullshit.

12. Post #12
    Willing to off arm for a robot arm
    September 2011
    2,349 Posts
    Its not just another RTS though, Halo Wars has serious lore implications in the Halo universe

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    8,573 Posts
    I'd still rather have proper ports of the old Halo games to PC. I was really hyped for Halo Wars when it came out, was disappointed with it when I played it. It was decent I guess.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    29,239 Posts

Point still stands; people want an actual shooter Halo on PC, not some spinoff title.
    sc2 is looking a bit dire at the moment with the expansion and totalwarhammer isn't going to be a competitive rts in any realistic sense

again, a genre on life support can use some more games

i dont get how halo wars coming to pc means theyre not thinking about making the mainline games on pc, you have to understand that halo is a system seller for the bone at the moment, since they have barely anything else

15. Post #15
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts
    i played a lot of halo wars on the 360. watching huge units of jetpack brutes flying in sync was hilarious

16. Post #16
    July 2013
    5,575 Posts
    The only RTS games I really want are a proper new age of empires and one more good stronghold game (anything after crusader is shit and anyone that says otherwise is a fool). But apparently more over simplified combat triangle garbage is on the pipe line instead. The sci-fi rts genre has plenty of better games to look forward to than another Halo RTS anyway.
    I'd kill for another RUSE game.

17. Post #17
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    19,805 Posts
    I've always wanted to play Halo Wars. Now I can. Neat.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    13,817 Posts
    Not to mention I thought Halo Wars was like universally hated by everyone. I wasn't very impressed with it at all personally, but at least the cinematic was bad ass i suppose.
    The only bad thing I've heard about Halo Wars is that they fucked up by making it console only. Like if Lambourghini decided to release a new exotic but for some reason, you can only drive it off road when it's clearly meant to be for a track

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    12,698 Posts
    Basically every TW game has been awful on release.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,773 Posts
    I've played Halo Wars enough to say they didn't do much with it for some reason. Only two armies with 3 commanders each, never made a Flood army or the Insurrectionists. Covenant had some fun gameplay with being able to upgrade and control your commander and usually meant a turning tide in the battle. Granted UNSC had some OP units too.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,044 Posts
    Think of it as Age of Empires 5

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    July 2009
    19,189 Posts
    Age of Empires ended with II

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    January 2010
    6,583 Posts
    I'd kill for another RUSE game.
    The studio that developed Ruse went on to develop the Wargame series. There are a lot of similarities between the two series'.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,881 Posts
    sc2 is looking a bit dire at the moment with the expansion and totalwarhammer isn't going to be a competitive rts in any realistic sense

again, a genre on life support can use some more games

i dont get how halo wars coming to pc means theyre not thinking about making the mainline games on pc, you have to understand that halo is a system seller for the bone at the moment, since they have barely anything else
    What's happening to starcraft 2? All I know is that the community is dying off somewhat due to the fact that the game is 7 years old or so at this point

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    5,555 Posts
    I thought the Spartan units looked cool to use in a RTS. Too bad I missed out because I rolled with a PS3 and it being Xbox only made me a bit jealous. Thankfully Halo Wars 2 is coming to PC, so now I won't feel bitter about Xbox exclusives.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    29,239 Posts
    What's happening to starcraft 2? All I know is that the community is dying off somewhat due to the fact that the game is 7 years old or so at this point
    balance is getting fucked constantly, hackers are popping up more and more, esports scene is dying out with a lack of content/balance updates

an example of blizz being incompetent was the ghost being a useless terran unit, so they decided to give the ghost an ability that weakens the armor of ultralisks

good luck using that in every situation where you dont fight ultralisks

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,195 Posts
    I would laugh so goddamn hard if this was Win10 only, along with every other Microsoft-related game release.

I can actually feel that coming, I've been wondering why they wanted EVERYONE to be on Windows 10 to the point of giving it away for free.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,538 Posts
    I would laugh so goddamn hard if this was Win10 only, along with every other Microsoft-related game release.

I can actually feel that coming, I've been wondering why they wanted EVERYONE to be on Windows 10 to the point of giving it away for free.
    That was confirmed already in the trailer, it specifically says "Exclusive on Xbox One and Windows 10"

29. Post #29
    I was nice to a hobo once and he bought me this title
    May 2010
    5,562 Posts
    I actually played a ton of halo wars multiplayer, both 2v2 with a friend and occasionally 1v1s. Great fun actually, fairly competent rts considering it was a console exclusive. It could have used some extra content but it was a lot of fun while it lasted. Eventually gave it up after I realized that covenant leader rushes are literally unstoppable as unsc. Unless the enemy is actually retarded, it's a gg guaranteed within 5 minutes.

If you've never played halo wars, basically convenant get a powerful leader unit after building a certain structure. If you send out your leader unit out right at the beginning, you can roll over any tier 1 units the unsc player has and just kill their base. It's a bit like if zerg rushing had no chance of failing and no repercussions if it does fail.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    11,539 Posts
    Personally I liked what Halo Wars was it's just it didn't have any depth at all being confined to specifically consoles so a sequel is ok in my book.

Plus, good theme.

Though it is really, REALLY goddamn annoying we're going to have to wait until the console unit moving power of the Halo series has died for Microsoft to EVER EVEN CONSIDER giving us a proper PC port.

Because we all know that's why we don't have it, if Halo stays on Xbox then people have to buy the Xbox to play it and that gets them more money.

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    January 2007
    8,582 Posts
    Halo
    RTS
    being developed by Creative Assembly
    color me interested
    a halo wars sequel with the scale of the total war games would be sick as fuck

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,526 Posts
    YES

Halo wars was one of my favorite games to play with my friends back in high school. I've been waiting for a sequel.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,963 Posts
    Basically every TW game has been awful on release.
    yeah, everyone seems to forget about Medieval 2's launch. That included wonderful bugs like nearly all of the units with 2 handed weapons not doing damage or attacking (forget which of the two it was). They always clean them up fairly well with patches

34. Post #34
    November 2014
    37 Posts
    There is Hearts of Iron 4 coming out next year afaik, and Paradox Interactive is set to announce a new Grand Strategy Game (In Space most likely, from all their hints), which is awesome because I really wanted a GSG in space for a long damn time.

Also the Wargame series is awesome, everyone who enjoys a good RTS (Starcraft 2 does not even compare to the glory that is Wargame: Red Dragon) should get the latest Wargame game which is Red Dragon. But it is not for the faint of heart.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,471 Posts
    That was confirmed already in the trailer, it specifically says "Exclusive on Xbox One and Windows 10"
    Sounds like DirectX 12

Because really, it was not made to work on previous operating systems

I know 8.1 got 11.2, not sure about .3, really unheard of

36. Post #36
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    2,806 Posts
    The only thing I disliked about Halo Wars was the cartoony style of the units. Hopefully Creative Assembly goes for more of a realistic approach.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    December 2009
    18,376 Posts
    There is Hearts of Iron 4 coming out next year afaik, and Paradox Interactive is set to announce a new Grand Strategy Game (In Space most likely, from all their hints), which is awesome because I really wanted a GSG in space for a long damn time.

Also the Wargame series is awesome, everyone who enjoys a good RTS (Starcraft 2 does not even compare to the glory that is Wargame: Red Dragon) should get the latest Wargame game which is Red Dragon. But it is not for the faint of heart.
    Wargame is brutal but fair, except for critical hits.

Edited:

I really want a fucking WiC 2. But Ubisoft has Massive Entertianment off doing things like Far Cry 3's MP or the new game that got pushed back.

Most of the original team left as well. Which sucks.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,506 Posts
    i wonder if this is an actual RTS, or just some RTT that claims to be RTS, kinda sad how RTS became so rare, that RTTs actually stole the fucking RTS name for most people(like in this very thread).

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    i wonder if this is an actual RTS, or just some RTT that claims to be RTS, kinda sad how RTS became so rare, that RTTs actually stole the fucking RTS name for most people(like in this very thread).
    Tbh I would prefer if this one becomes an RTT unlike the first game.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,506 Posts
    Tbh I would prefer if this one becomes an RTT unlike the first game.
    saw some halo wars 1 videos and from what i've seen in them, its basically a RTT already, kinda resembles CnC4, only thing they need to do is remove the false "base-building" and its 100% RTT.

and considering creative assembly is the one making, i seriously doubt it will be a RTS, they don't do real RTS, only RTT mixed with TBS.