1. Post #3081
    July 2012
    2,502 Posts
    If it makes you guys feel any better, I haven't been able to upload addons to the workshop in over a year. Even now that I have 50mb/s down - 10 up, it just spews 'generic error' near the end of the upload process.

2. Post #3082
    June 2013
    3,688 Posts
    This server is home hosted and passworded for close friends on my old shitty computer tower on 700KB/s upload. We have $0 in disposable income to afford a provider for FastDL, and afaik there's no free ones.

FastDL isn't really an option, and it'd be ultimately pointless since events only happen on this server for the same 10 people at a time max like twice a week, if that, due to work schedules and other time restraints. It'd be money wasted.

When workshop is actually working properly, the current setup works just fine for that small handful of people.
    If you setup the fastdl server yourself or tell me how to do it, I can offer the hosting for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3083
    April 2008
    1,586 Posts
    I know you said you don't wish to do it, but I find people who don't use FastDL to be very annoying.

Extracting the GMA and using FastDL to send resources is good because you can choose to only send what you need (say, 3 guns out of a 12 gun weapon pack, 2 playermodels out of a 15 model pack, etc), and by extracting the gma you have full control over the content being loaded onto your server, unlike with GMAs where they cannot easily be edited and the author of the addon can install a backdoor onto your server at any time and all it takes is a server restart to activate it.

The only reasons for using Workshop DL is 1: You are lazy, and 2: You don't have a website for FastDL despite the fact that a website and hosting is maybe $20 a month tops,
    Not true. FastDL does not check the integrity of content that you may have already downloaded, which can be troublesome if you frequently update your resources.

Consider the following: You join Server A which is hosting version 1 of gm_map. Your GMod client downloads this map automatically from fastdl, and you connect with no problems. You then disconnect and join Server B, currently running version 2 of gm_map. You'll receive a mismatch error and you won't be able to join the server until you clear out garrysmod/downloads.

Workshop ensures this problem does not happen, since content downloaded from the Workshop will always be up to date. If you do not have the latest version, it will download it automatically for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #3084
    Yep, I'm a brony sperg. Dealwithit.
    March 2013
    861 Posts
    Not true. FastDL does not check the integrity of content that you may have already downloaded, which can be troublesome if you frequently update your resources.

Consider the following: You join Server A which is hosting version 1 of gm_map. Your GMod client downloads this map automatically from fastdl, and you connect with no problems. You then disconnect and join Server B, currently running version 2 of gm_map. You'll receive a mismatch error and you won't be able to join the server until you clear out garrysmod/downloads.

Workshop ensures this problem does not happen, since content downloaded from the Workshop will always be up to date. If you do not have the latest version, it will download it automatically for you.
    Ok then, lets do a proper lists of pros/cons for both FastDL and WorkshopDL.

WorkshopDL:

+ Files are sent via Steam's CDN, meaning that in most cases, the speed can be faster than FastDL.
    + Integrity checks are performed, meaning that mismatched files cannot occur.
    + Updates will be received by all clients automatically, no need to replace files or have long server downtime.
    + No need for your own service to distribute the files, Steam takes care of that for you!
    + "FastDL" scripts are nice and small, because you do not have to list a large list of files.

- Addons are compressed and cannot be edited to better suit your server's needs. This can be annoying when configuration is done via flatfile and not via convars, or said convars are not documented anywhere.
    - Code can be modified at any time by the author that can either introduce undesirable or straight up broken functionality to your server. This includes backdoors.
    - Addons can be removed from the workshop by third parties such as Steam Moderators and the author him/herself, thus leaving the content unobtainable.
    - Using a Workshop collection to retrieve addons for the server to use on startup can increase startup time exponentially when compared to starting a server with the same amount of addons (or even the same addons) extracted into legacy format.
    - There is a known bug with workshop subscriptions where if a client attempts to download too much from the workshop in one go, Garry's Mod will fail to extract content after an amount of time. When this occurs, if the client doesn't immediately exit out of Garry's Mod, Garry's Mod will crash and Steam will also crash.

FastDL:

+ You have complete control over content. You decide what your client gets and what they don't. This better allows you to restrict the amount of downloading required by your client, allowing them to connect faster.
    + Files are extracted into a legacy format, allowing you to make changes and inspect code for yourself independent of third parties.
    + Provided you can maintain the equipment to keep it online, the content will always be available regardless of Steam's CDN.

- This comes at a personal cost to you, unless you already have a website in which case you already have all you need. For reference, my webserver costs ~$15 USD a month to keep online, and the domain name is a further $25 a year.
    - No integrity checks, meaning if you try to send a file whose name already exists on the client, the client assumes they already have that file, even if they don't match.
    - The speed is entirely dependent on your setup, and may be easily brought offline due to DDoS attack or simply high load.
    - FastDL scripts may be long and tedious to create, especially if many models/sounds/textures are involved.

At the end of the day, after thinking about this while writing all this out for about 20 minutes, I'd say that each has their own ups and downs. I personally prefer FastDL due to the level of control I have over the content, and also because internet speeds in my area are so slow that you mustn't add anymore than 100mb of content to fastdl, otherwise it will take upwards of 10 minutes to connect. With WorkshopDL, you are forced to download the ENTIRE addon, even if the server uses only 1 model out of a 200 model pack.

Also your argument on file integrity is somewhat moot given that the Source engine (and GoldSrc before that) and the communities around its development have always had a long standing tradition of name collision such as this. Usually when something is released, and then something appears wrong with it, the replacement will usually have _v(n) appended to the end of it, example rp_downtown. Should you come across a file collision, it is almost entirely because someone has disregarded this tradition, or they have a corrupt/incomplete file. However, nonetheless, I did consider it in my bullet points.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #3085
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    December 2007
    2,686 Posts
    - Addons are compressed and cannot be edited to better suit your server's needs. This can be annoying when configuration is done via flatfile and not via convars, or said convars are not documented anywhere.
    Serverside Lua extracted to the appropriate filestructure on the server will always override a GMA's behavior.

6. Post #3086

March 2014
    329 Posts
    You guys are forgetting that resource.AddFile has a limit of 8192 and if you need to send a lot of stuff your best option is to create a workshop content pack, which unfortunately just clutters it up.

7. Post #3087

July 2013
    258 Posts

People like him.

8. Post #3088
    April 2008
    1,586 Posts
    Also your argument on file integrity is somewhat moot given that the Source engine (and GoldSrc before that) and the communities around its development have always had a long standing tradition of name collision such as this. Usually when something is released, and then something appears wrong with it, the replacement will usually have _v(n) appended to the end of it, example rp_downtown. Should you come across a file collision, it is almost entirely because someone has disregarded this tradition, or they have a corrupt/incomplete file. However, nonetheless, I did consider it in my bullet points.
    Maps typically aren't an issue, you are correct.

However, consider the case of an individual who is developing custom content for their own server. They create a material file and upload it to their FastDL, but some time after the fact they realize that something is incorrect, or perhaps they want to update the material's texture to something nicer. They're out of luck thanks to FastDL's shortcomings because all of the clients who have already joined won't receive this new material file.

9. Post #3089
    February 2016
    438 Posts
    Shit that makes me mad? This:

10. Post #3090
    Don't PM me about moderation - PM any of the mods.
    May 2008
    14,458 Posts
    That's what happens when you fuck up your view model bones/rig.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #3091
    March 2013
    861 Posts
    The entire game gets me mad. Here's the door, I'm officially walking through it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #3092
    January 2017
    36 Posts
    If it makes you guys feel any better, I haven't been able to upload addons to the workshop in over a year. Even now that I have 50mb/s down - 10 up, it just spews 'generic error' near the end of the upload process.
    Dude your doing it wrong. do you use Gmpublishing tool? which is a java script

13. Post #3093
    July 2012
    2,502 Posts
    Dude your doing it wrong. do you use Gmpublishing tool? which is a java script
    I've tried every one of the publishing tools and I'm uploading them the same exact way every other addon I've uploaded has been done.

14. Post #3094
    March 2013
    861 Posts
    You know what, I actually need to get this off my chest.

I've been playing gmod for close to 7 years. I enjoyed DarkRP for the first 3 years, then enjoyed chatting with other developers and learning shit from them. But that's all changed in the past month. A certain user recently appeared in the community. I won't name them, but some of you know who I'm talking about. This guy has done apparently nothing in the gmod community as far as I've seen, but apparently he's a dev and apparently he is respected, despite having the most autistic name and avatar I've ever seen, not to mention the most immature mentality.

This guy instantly gets tons more respect than I do. Normally this wouldn't phase me, there are a ton of people more deserving of respect than me. But this cunt does nothing but spam discord servers with a selfbot! I mean, I used to use a selfbot, but all that did was react to peoples posts with an emoji, which would be disabled if people blocked me. But instead of blocking me, I was banned from various discords. This guy starts flooding chats with his selfbot, and its all hey ho pip and dandy, he even mass mentions people to bypass @everyone, see's nothing wrong with it because "it's exactly the same as using @everyone" except @everyone has safeguards against spam that server owners can activate and individual users can activate, and does he get banned? Nope, I'm just told to block him.

If this is the sort of users that the gmod community like, appreciates, and respects... then I want no part of it. Call me when gmod2 comes out, complete with minimum age restrictions and a complete youtube monetization ban. Maybe then gmod can be fun again, but until then it's going to be aids and no amount of updates will fix that.

I can understand why Garry abandoned this game. I feel sorry for him that his name must remain attached to it, forever tarnished by the fact its tied to the most autistic playerbase since Call of Duty and FNAF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

15. Post #3095
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,486 Posts
    I've been playing gmod for close to 7 years. I enjoyed DarkRP for the first 3 years, then enjoyed chatting with other developers and learning shit from them. But that's all changed in the past month. A certain user recently appeared in the community.
    Garry's Mod is a diverse game with many different communities -- this "user" being around shouldn't be the end all for your enjoyment of the game, but from how you've been acting there's greater forces at play for your self-declared drama.

I won't name them, but some of you know who I'm talking about. This guy has done apparently nothing in the gmod community as far as I've seen, but apparently he's a dev and apparently he is respected, despite having the most autistic name and avatar I've ever seen, not to mention the most immature mentality.
    If you're going to trash FootsiesPajamies behind his back, at least don't sneak diss him.

This guy instantly gets tons more respect than I do. Normally this wouldn't phase me, there are a ton of people more deserving of respect than me. But this cunt does nothing but spam discord servers with a selfbot! I mean, I used to use a selfbot, but all that did was react to peoples posts with an emoji, which would be disabled if people blocked me. But instead of blocking me, I was banned from various discords. This guy starts flooding chats with his selfbot, and its all hey ho pip and dandy, he even mass mentions people to bypass @everyone, see's nothing wrong with it because "it's exactly the same as using @everyone" except @everyone has safeguards against spam that server owners can activate and individual users can activate, and does he get banned? Nope, I'm just told to block him.
    So your entire argument for leaving the Garry's Mod community rests on stuff that happens in Discord servers. The only one that I would say is directly related to the game is the GLua Discord, and not once have I seen him spam in there. I cannot speak for other servers that I'm not in, but I hope you realise Discord has a built-in "block" function that you can employ on him.

If this is the sort of users that the gmod community like, appreciates, and respects... then I want no part of it. Call me when gmod2 comes out, complete with minimum age restrictions and a complete youtube monetization ban. Maybe then gmod can be fun again, but until then it's going to be aids and no amount of updates will fix that.
    No amount of updates to a game can fix drama happening outside of the game. I don't know Footsies, I've never worked with him nor would I even know who you're talking about before you decided to throw a temper tantrum, but I'm sick of seeing you bitch and moan every week about the new "game-breaking" problem with Garry's Mod, whether it be cancerous DarkRP servers or WorkshopDL. But NOW you've evolved into using completely unrelated community drama to Garry's Mod as a whole. Congratulations.

I can understand why Garry abandoned this game. I feel sorry for him that his name must remain attached to it, forever tarnished by the fact its tied to the most autistic playerbase since Call of Duty and FNAF
    Garry's Mod is pretty widely respected as one of the most creative, moddable, and diverse games on the market that still manages to remain popular on a decade+ old engine. Garry "moved on" because he worked on his game for ten years -- he had other projects he became interested in and I don't blame him. Your creation of false equivalences to justify your blatantly obtuse view of the community is something that most here of tolerated in the past, but it's now just plain annoying.

Please don't come back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 2 (list)

16. Post #3096

August 2016
    71 Posts
    -snip- let's not drag this out...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #3097
    August 2016
    440 Posts
    You know what, I actually need to get this off my chest.

I've been playing gmod for close to 7 years. I enjoyed DarkRP for the first 3 years, then enjoyed chatting with other developers and learning shit from them. But that's all changed in the past month. A certain user recently appeared in the community. I won't name them, but some of you know who I'm talking about. This guy has done apparently nothing in the gmod community as far as I've seen, but apparently he's a dev and apparently he is respected, despite having the most autistic name and avatar I've ever seen, not to mention the most immature mentality.

165. That's how many posts you've made in "Shit that gets you mad" threads in your observable post history. And that's only 5 pages worth. You are an unhappy person in general. Is there anything that doesn't make you angry? Does it even really come as a surprise that people treat you differently when you are so outwardly negative about everything? Nobody wants to be around someone who moans all the time about how shitty things are. My advice? Get the fuck out this thread. Actually just get the fuck out. If you want more respect, don't be such a drag who complains every other day. You can start by closing this tab and never opening any thread of this type again. Your attitude will (hopefully) improve, and people will like you more.

I'm not telling you to never be angry. It's okay to be angry at things. It's not okay to be angry all the time at everything. It's not healthy, and it's not fun to be around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #3098

October 2012
    24 Posts
    7 years olds with a 10/month server from nitrous

19. Post #3099
    TFA
    March 2015
    782 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #3100
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,488 Posts
    It really never ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #3101
    March 2014
    1,114 Posts
    People seem really resilient to learning new things and instead want me to do it for them.
    "OK so your CPU is overheating or stressing so you'll want to either make sure your heatsink isn't clogged with dust since it is 10 years old or try to underclock it if you can to make it more stable"

"Here's the link compile it for me"

I beg for the day when a kid asks me HOW to do something instead of asking me to do it.

Edited:

Oh my god he doesn't even know what a brush is and he's trying to compile a more-than-simple map.

22. Post #3102
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,201 Posts
    add me pls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #3103
    February 2017
    2 Posts
    FNaF kids
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3104
    September 2013
    869 Posts
    Can we get an option on Steam profiles that disallowes anyone from sending friend requests?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #3105

February 2017
    1 Posts
    Old [v1]: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1235980

Old one got closed for reaching 5000 posts.

What shit gets you mad in Garry's Mod?
    DarkRP has no RP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Late Late x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #3106
    orc

September 2015
    147 Posts
    Typical shigbeard, hates my guts too and always tries to create an argument with me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #3107

January 2017
    15 Posts
    I'm basically a super-admin on this small DarkRP server and I make some small scripts for the server (nothing much, just some basic stuff)
    Yesterday two regular admins came to me, surrounding me asking for a promotion to super-admin. They just wanted me to recommend them to the owner of the server. I just told them to ask the owner directly and not me.
    Some time goes on and the owner gets on. He instantly gets surrounded by these two admins and asked for a promotion. Owner refused and they said that they'll go to their own DarkRP server which apparently has 10 slots (and it's apparently dying, also). The owner just tells me after the incident that people ask for a promotion to use certain commands such as addmoney and stuff all the time to use them for themselves.

Fun stuff. I don't know how one could create such a mindset for staff that they get promoted to higher rank by working your way to it and proving that you're good enough for it. It's not possible since the server never has non-admin players on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #3108
    September 2013
    869 Posts
    Moderators:

Kick, gag, mute, tsay

Admins:

Tempban, ban

Superadmins:

Shouldn't exist

All anyone other than the owner needs, even in a DarkRP server. Any more than that opens the door for abuse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3109
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,525 Posts

I try to give my players some degree of freedom and they do this to me.

At this point I've decided to just do a catch-all 'dont be a dick' rule and trust my assistants to use their judgement on a case-by-case basis.

30. Post #3110
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    7,647 Posts
    Moderators:

Kick, gag, mute, tsay

Admins:

Tempban, ban

Superadmins:

Shouldn't exist

All anyone other than the owner needs, even in a DarkRP server. Any more than that opens the door for abuse.
    SuperAdmin rank shouldn't exist, but owner should? That's backwards. Superadmin is baked into the game. "user", "admin" and "superadmin" are the three ranks gmod knows of without any admin mod installed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #3111
    November 2015
    164 Posts
    Don't have anything to mention as far as content regarding this thread is concerned, but I do wanna say it is very interesting to go back through the whole thing and see all the drama and such over the months it's been going. It's a little heartwarming to see just how many of you are so passionate about DarkRP and RP in general in Garry's mod.

...though, if I absolutely had to name something that really punches my pickle, the fact that trying to build stuff in Multiplayer with precision alignment is an exercise in futility as far as precise building goes. It's not too noticeable, but the damn points never, ever line up perfectly as they do in singleplayer.

Also players that come on explicitly-named build/ACF combat servers and proceed to ignore the build/ACF portion of the name and just give themselves a rocket launcher and start going to town blasting people trying to actually build shit, bonus points if they sound like a dog toy. Or worse, start prop-pushing/moving a massive fuckoff prop into a player so they can't use their physgun or toolgun. It's since been remedied on the one server I frequent, I believe, but damn if it isn't like getting double-penetrated by a cactus while it's happening.

As a side note, I can't be the only one who wonders what it'd sound like if a squeaker went on a screeching rage while using a program to make their voice sound deeper, am I?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3112
    September 2013
    869 Posts
    SuperAdmin rank shouldn't exist, but owner should? That's backwards. Superadmin is baked into the game. "user", "admin" and "superadmin" are the three ranks gmod knows of without any admin mod installed.
    My bad, I meant to say that Superadmin should never be given to other people. That way the owner can just use it as a role that gives every command.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #3113
    March 2012
    1,827 Posts
    brush ladders
    I just don't like how bothersome it can be to climb them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #3114
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    4,863 Posts

I try to give my players some degree of freedom and they do this to me.

At this point I've decided to just do a catch-all 'dont be a dick' rule and trust my assistants to use their judgement on a case-by-case basis.
    why didnt 173 just use his ability? would've ended that last bit of bs pretty quick.

i keep trying to enjoy that mode, but i just cant, too many morons who dont know what their job/purpose is(despite it appearing infront of them, literally unavoidable), stupid trolls and good luck if you're dead, the mic chat is always absolutely cancerous