1. Post #601
    I've got a bad feeling about this
    Dennab
    December 2007
    3,359 Posts

What a steal for 8.

The G.I. Blues is an original British press, according to what I've found on discogs, so I'm very excited to put that in my collection.

The record is warped slightly, but it still plays well enough, so I'm completely satisfied.
    Recent acquisitions?

Recent acquisitions.

As you can see, Panic! is on white vinyl, my first colored vinyl! I wasn't expecting that at all. Currently on order I have the Fez OST on the way, it's on white vinyl as well. I really wanted the clear orange ones, but I can't find them anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #602
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,143 Posts
    As you can see, Panic! is on white vinyl, my first colored vinyl! I wasn't expecting that at all. Currently on order I have the Fez OST on the way, it's on white vinyl as well. I really wanted the clear orange ones, but I can't find them anywhere.
    Coloured vinyl are great. I've got The Door's LA Woman on white vinyl, and Station to Station on translucent red vinyl, which looks absolutely fantastic on my player:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #603
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    9,089 Posts
    I only just started collecting but I got myself a colored record of one of my favorite albums a few weeks ago.

The camera changed the color a bit, it's more green in person.

4. Post #604
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,369 Posts
    Fiona Apple's debut Tidal is getting its first ever release on vinyl.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #605
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,912 Posts

Got these for free from a colleague, a lot is unknown to me, but everything i've listened to so far has been really good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #606
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    9,089 Posts
    Got two more albums to add to my (small) collection. Am I a true patrician now?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #607

Everybody Wants To Love You!

January 2012
    2,275 Posts
    recent shit i got this month

has anyone else ordered the TF2 soundtrack on vinyl? havent listened to it yet but i like how the vinyls discs are coloured red and blue respectively

8. Post #608
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,085 Posts
    oh shit FP vinyl thread

picks of the month

9. Post #609
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    i'm a cd guy because i like the artwork but don't like the price of lps

just sitting over 100 cds now, latest find was a copy of wavves' first album which is pretty neat didn't think it was still in print, looks like it had been sitting in a warehouse for the past 10 years and was on clearance.

10. Post #610
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    I love a good unique or collectable CD. I found an unopened original 1986 Graceland CD because I wanted the original master and it sounds amazing, far superior to the remastered CD release. Also being a CD from 1986, it doesn't look like any other CD I own. The jewel case is even worse than normal, it's this really early looking model with black plastic that just sucks. The CD itself has no artwork, it looks like how early DVDs looked, like some sort of generic template was used for everything before advanced production methods came about.

It's interesting to see. I think every form of physical media has its appeal. The ultimate self indulgence in this field being a reel to reel machine, I think. Or at least the most expensive one, makes vinyl look like an inexpensive hobby in comparison.

11. Post #611
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,500 Posts
    i'm a cd guy because i like the artwork but don't like the price of lps

just sitting over 100 cds now, latest find was a copy of wavves' first album which is pretty neat didn't think it was still in print, looks like it had been sitting in a warehouse for the past 10 years and was on clearance.
    I know cds are pretty cheap but what would be a reasonable price for a vinyl for you? If you like the artwork vinyl seems very much worth it. New and rare vinyls are pricey but most old vinyls are very common and relatively inexpensive unless you go to the wrong store.

12. Post #612
    September 2013
    6,300 Posts
    I finally worked up the money (and courage?) to pick up a JICO SAS upgrade stylus for my M97xE.

This may actually be the best stylus I've ever owned. It sounds so natural. Hefty price, but it's definitely worth it.

Edited:

Also wow, it's pretty amazing looking back at my older posts and seeing how completely ignorant I was to vinyl only a year and a half ago.

Hell, he could drop 50 bucks and buy a Jensen turntable. They're usually pretty decent quality.
    What was wrong with me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #613
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,039 Posts
    haven't bought vinyl in a while but i most recently used a one month subscription to VMP to get panda bear's person pitch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #614
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    haven't bought vinyl in a while but i most recently used a one month subscription to VMP to get panda bear's person pitch
    solid move i can't really find it cheap

15. Post #615
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    I know cds are pretty cheap but what would be a reasonable price for a vinyl for you? If you like the artwork vinyl seems very much worth it. New and rare vinyls are pricey but most old vinyls are very common and relatively inexpensive unless you go to the wrong store.
    if i had the space to display them properly then i would get vinyls, i actually started the cd collection when i got a new phone and wanted to rebuild my music library. theres a lot of ones i don't listen to but i would only get my favourite albums if i were to get them on vinyl.

i've been tempted a few times when they rereleased futures by jimmy eat world on vinyl and a couple of other times but i feel like i would only settle for original prints and it would ruin my wallet at the moment to go after them.

16. Post #616
    Dennab
    January 2017
    450 Posts
    So I might be getting a new turntable for Christmas this year.

The Crosley USB turntable I have now has a broken cable for converting the audio and I still haven't replaced the needle that came with it when I got it for Christmas in 2015.

As much as I'd like to buy an antique phonograph player, they're too expensive and they're hell on the records.

-I'd like something that can play 78's since most of the records I collect are older than the 1950s.

-A plug in to convert the record to another format would be nice, but hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with the Crosley and resume converting my records so I don't need that.

-I'm also open to switching to a record player, so long as it's not too expensive and it fits in my packed room.

Do the experts here have any idea as to what brand or model I should get?

17. Post #617
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    At $300, the AT LP120 is probably the best value to money proposition for the entry level turntable purchaser. At this very cheap price it offers you a decent direct drive platform that can operate at the three most common speeds, can be expanded or upgraded unlike less expensive models (you can change the parts and make it a much better turntable in the future when you have more to invest), and it is generally agreed upon to have at least serviceable sound. It won't appeal to audiophiles in the sense that there's an internal DAC that is coloring the audio (which can be disabled so you can use your own external amp, making this player still a good option if you want to branch out into audiophillia in the future), but this is a good feature for a lower end buyer who just wants to be able to plug it into anything from RCA line level inputs to USB, which necessitates the built in amp and makes it a good feature. And it's adjustable so you can properly learn to calibrate your player which is a fun little thing to learn to do in and of itself.

That's about the cheapest you can go on a turntable and not end up with something that is too minimalist​ by itself to be of any good use without hundreds of dollars of external hardware to use with it.

Edited:

I am no expert by any means, these are just the conclusions that I've reached in my own online research. There also is the at lp60 which is probably the cheapest thing that exists which won't ruin your records. It doesn't sound very good and the entire platform offers no upgradeability whatsoever (everything is proprietary), but it is around the same price as a crosley and at least it won't destroy your records like the crosley would given the tracking force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #618
    Dennab
    January 2017
    450 Posts
    Can the AT LP120 play radio transcription discs?

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    I don't know that it would fit a 16" disc. You'd want to see a picture of it playing one first if you wanted it for that reason. Because it might work, but the disc might also extend too far off the platter and contact the tone arm.

There are probably very few players available that will. Can't think of any right off top of my head. Finding a modern player that can do the basic 3 standard size 33 45 and 78 is rare enough, and the 120 does that, but you won't find any tables that do other niche things at around that price. There is always a niche feature you'll miss out on. Like, for example, it's pretty hard to find anything modern that'll play back a 16 2/3RPM disc. And there's like 8rpm discs that exist as early audiobooks for the blind. Getting a table to play those is a much more involved endeavor.

Then there's the problem of automatic tables not really doing well with non-standard sizes due to the tone arm dropping in the wrong place.

20. Post #620

Everybody Wants To Love You!

January 2012
    2,275 Posts
    My order from Ghost Ramp just arrived today.

Took about a month to ship my order as a whole since the Nuclear Throne and new Wavves LPs were both preorders.

It also came with a mystery vinyl that costed $5 extra, which ended up being Sweet Valley's So Serene, and a Nuclear Throne pin I think looks pretty neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #621
    September 2013
    6,300 Posts
    Just got this in today:

Also known as "bikers throw bottles and shit at The Stooges". You can literally hear glass breaking on guitar strings. It's pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #622
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,060 Posts
    you need to send this youtube user a message I'm sure he'll help u out he's very knowledgable:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vwestlife/about

23. Post #623
    Dennab
    January 2017
    450 Posts
    I know a lot of radio transcription discs are 16 inches, but I've also seen some that are 12" and 8".

There's also the issue of what appears to be 33 1/3 playing shellac records like this one.

I've never heard of such a thing and I assume that they were uncommon.

Edited:

you need to send this youtube user a message I'm sure he'll help u out he's very knowledgable:

https://www.youtube.com/user/vwestlife/about
    How often should I change the needle on the AP? I don't know how to replace a needle and I know that there are titanium needles that need changed less often. They wouldn't scratch a shellac record though would they?

Because I have a number of records that are in E+ condition that I have never played because I don't want the Crosley to damage them. I assume the AP LP120 doesn't do that right?

24. Post #624
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,385 Posts
    I know a lot of radio transcription discs are 16 inches, but I've also seen some that are 12" and 8".

There's also the issue of what appears to be 33 1/3 playing shellac records like this one.

Edited:

How often should I change the needle on the AP? I don't know how to replace a needle and I know that there are titanium needles that need changed less often. They wouldn't scratch a shellac record though would they?

Because I have a number of records that are in E+ condition that I have never played because I don't want the Crosley to damage them. I assume the AP LP120 doesn't do that right?
    The LP120 can play shellac records, you'll just need to swap out the needle for something like this which is more suited for the grooves on those records. It's meant for 78 RPM records but I would probably use it on any shellac record just because of the material.

Changing the needle out is super easy, it just slots right off and on. I had to do an emergency needle replacement when I first got mine and it took two seconds.

Also you shouldn't need to change the needle very often on it either unless you're listening to records for hours a day every day. You won't notice a decline in sound quality for a while.

25. Post #625
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts

Edited:

Damaging the record is more of a factor of tracking force. The needle isn't the problem really unless it's dirty, in which case you're dragging dirt through the record grooves creating extra heat from friction, but that still isn't really the needle's fault, it is your responsibility to clean your stylus and records properly (which will require research).

So crosley players come from the factory with a really high tracking force, none of them are calibrated well, and that's why it's no good for a record. The cheapest player that won't destroy a record is the lp60 which has a very consistent tracking force from the factory and while it's higher than you'd have on a nicer player, it's still way too low to do any damage to your records. And the lp120 is a different story in that it is fully adjustable and you can set the tracking weight yourself if you want, in addition to the anti skate and all that good shit.

26. Post #626
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    6,179 Posts
    it's been a while since ive last posted, but here are some records i've bought in the past month
    im super happy with that rudimentary peni 7", it's one of my all time favorite punk records.

that flux record is great, was hoping they'd throw on the nue smell 7" like they did with the CD version but sadly it's not on there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

27. Post #627
    May 2015
    2,170 Posts
    oh hey this is back from the dead

now guess how much i payed for this marantz 6300

28. Post #628
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,060 Posts

all you need is the correct needle size and they just slot on but you would need to change it more often than a smaller stylus, but tbh I wouldn't worry about that, these needles last a very long time.

but as I said, please do message that youtube guy, he's very knowledgable if he replied pls post what he advises because one day I'd like to collect 78s.

Edited:

oh hey this is back from the dead

now guess how much i payed for this marantz 6300
    $400-900.

Edited:

but seeing as u want me to guess I'll say $200

29. Post #629
    May 2015
    2,170 Posts
    but seeing as u want me to guess I'll say $200
    5 bucks

30. Post #630
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,060 Posts
    i h8 u
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #631
    May 2015
    2,170 Posts
    i h8 u
    it's works but it needs some parts

32. Post #632
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    9,089 Posts
    Crate and Barrel is having a 50% off sale on Capitol Records LPs. I picked up Abbey Road and Norah Jones myself.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/decor...inyl-records/1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #633
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,720 Posts
    I'm thinking about getting an AT-LP60 since I received a few easy listening albums.

Is this alright for a budget table?

34. Post #634
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    I'm thinking about getting an AT-LP60 since I received a few easy listening albums.

Is this alright for a budget table?
    I made a couple disorganized and wordy posts about that a few posts back but the tl;dr is yes the at lp60 is currently, at least as far as I know, the cheapest most basic player that will not destroy your records, internal amp so it can be plugged into anything (they even make a Bluetooth one), and will sound at least good enough for you to be impressed by vinyl. That doesn't mean it'll sound good compared to a good table, but I mean, good enough to where you'll be like wow so what does a good table sound like. That's a really neat thing for ~$100 and the competition in the price range is awful.

Then the next step up in a new player is something like the 120 which is $300, and while it's totally worth it, the huge jump in price honestly makes the lp60 an even more attractive deal for the casual listener.

35. Post #635
    🥓            🍩            🍗            🍔            🍟            🍕            🍪            🌭            🌮            🍤            🥑            🧀            🍿            🍙            🍣            🍦            🍧            🍮           🍭
    August 2010
    8,720 Posts
    I made a couple disorganized and wordy posts about that a few posts back but the tl;dr is yes the at lp60 is currently, at least as far as I know, the cheapest most basic player that will not destroy your records, internal amp so it can be plugged into anything (they even make a Bluetooth one), and will sound at least good enough for you to be impressed by vinyl. That doesn't mean it'll sound good compared to a good table, but I mean, good enough to where you'll be like wow so what does a good table sound like. That's a really neat thing for ~$100 and the competition in the price range is awful.

Then the next step up in a new player is something like the 120 which is $300, and while it's totally worth it, the huge jump in price honestly makes the lp60 an even more attractive deal for the casual listener.
    Yeah I looked for a while at the JTA-230 and after seeing a review that compared its terrible bass response to a decent record player, this one seemed like the best option considering the decent cartridge and the upgraded build quality.

36. Post #636
    September 2013
    6,300 Posts
    Yeah I looked for a while at the JTA-230 and after seeing a review that compared its terrible bass response to a decent record player, this one seemed like the best option considering the decent cartridge and the upgraded build quality.
    The LP60 can have some tracking and speed problems.
    I'd just recommend finding a vintage P-mount table. They're a little more open to customization, are pretty simple, and usually built well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #637
    August 2010
    8,720 Posts
    I went around today, and looked at every single Pawn Shop in Panama City. I found some pretty neat tables, and some pretty shit tables.

Highlights:
    Pioneer PL-800S for $40. Dust cover was cracked to shit and it was covered in grease.
    Radio Shack Realistic LAB-34. Cheap unit but it looked neat.
    Technics SL-Q300 for $115. One of the better looking TTs I saw that day but I can't find much about it online.
    Aiwa PX-e860 for $35. It looked okay.

And my day ended in the final pawn shop coming face to face with a gross ass Crosley

38. Post #638
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,829 Posts
    The LP60 can have some tracking and speed problems.
    I'd just recommend finding a vintage P-mount table. They're a little more open to customization, are pretty simple, and usually built well.
    Yeah it's not perfect by any means. Pretty neat for $100 new, I think, being that not all vintage options are made equal.

I went around today, and looked at every single Pawn Shop in Panama City. I found some pretty neat tables, and some pretty shit tables.

Highlights:
    Pioneer PL-800S for $40. Dust cover was cracked to shit and it was covered in grease.
    Radio Shack Realistic LAB-34. Cheap unit but it looked neat.
    Technics SL-Q300 for $115. One of the better looking TTs I saw that day but I can't find much about it online.
    Aiwa PX-e860 for $35. It looked okay.

And my day ended in the final pawn shop coming face to face with a gross ass Crosley
    Yeah that's how it is in some places. The used market just isn't as good if there's no interest in your area. Look at consignment stores and record stores too though, they often time have used or vintage players for sale. Local record store around me sells lp120s for 250 which is way cheaper than online, I don't know how that works.

39. Post #639
    August 2010
    8,720 Posts
    Oddly enough, I picked up the old radio shack turntable because they gave it to me for so cheap ($10).

It had a lot of stuff everything else (that worked) seemed to lack. It has adjustable anti-skating, adjustable counterweight, 3 speeds, and an automatic record changer. It's cheap, I know, but it seemed like a good solid unit that was at least somewhat customizable.

The stylus looks like it's done for. What type of cartridge is this exactly? Does anyone know what might be compatible with this?

Edited:

Nevermind, I figured out what a half-inch cartridge is.

40. Post #640
    August 2010
    8,720 Posts
    Alright, so I got my setup going!

It consists of:

$10 Realistic LAB-34
    $20 Audio Technica CN5625AL cartridge
    $17 Pyle PP 999 preamp
    PC speakers (or my JVC HA-RX700 headphones when I'm feeling like it)

I've named my setup appropriately. I call it

Edited:

Test record (I don't have anything recent)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)