1. Post #521
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts
    those chain handles, while cool, will not look ok when the heavy doesnt have the weapon deployed. you could however model them as if they were welded together

also consider modeling the planks on the barrel, or else i'll look really flat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #522
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    The proportions could use a bit of tweaking. Here's a sloppy edit:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,798 Posts
    Base colors by Metaru

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #524
    January 2013
    1,419 Posts

Saw someone post on another site post this, Couldn't help but toss it here :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #525
    January 2012
    1,100 Posts
    Codename: Kids Next Door probably has a whole bunch of unique weapon ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

6. Post #526
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts

Hey everybody,

It's time to vote on the second wave of contracts.

The ideas below were submited by prize donors. I'll be using Facepunch ratings to decide the four contracts that will be added to the contest. The order of the ideas was randomly generated and I attempted to avoid using overly positive or negative ratings.

Electrically Powered Weapons by CoBalt
    Dual Purpose Weapons by TheJukebox
    Covert Ops Weapons by OneFourth
    Home Made Weapons by BloodFart
    Medieval Weapon w/ Cosmetic by Gadget
    Arm Augmentation Weapon by butilka4
    Prehistoric Styled Weapons by Widow Engie
    Something New, Something Borrowed by Dr. Cat

Rate this post with a contract's corresponding rating to indicate which idea you would like to see added the most. The 4 ideas with the most ratings will be added. In the event of a tie for the 4th contract, I will break it.

Voting Ends on August 7th at 11:59pm CDT

Additional Explanations:

Dual Purpose Weapons: "A single model & texture (can be 2 different mdl files) that is used as any combination of 2 weapon slots. Could be a sniper rifle that is also used as a club, a rocket launcher with an underslung shotgun, etc. the weapon's mdl files [would] be used at the same time. One replaces a weapon slot, the other [a different weapon] slot. But both mdls would use the same model with no editing; only rotations, different rigging, etc."
    Arm Augmentation Weapon: "Create a weapon that must be put on the whole arm"
    Something New, Something Borrowed: "Weapon borrows from the in-game props (cans, bottles ect.) into it's design"

If you have any questions about the contracts, post them in the thread. I'll then let the contract idea submitter know, so they can post a response here.

Keep in mind that you can still donate prizes up until the contest ends. You just won't be able to submit a contract idea.

Also, participants can still submit entries for the 4 current contracts up until the contest ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly x 23Funny x 21Optimistic x 11Zing x 9Late x 4Informative x 4Useful x 3Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #527
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,313 Posts
    Coming through, the winner* of the Custom Ammo contest

Sound effects expertly crafted by Harry

*please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    Gunther in ze Night just donated Defy Gravity.

Thanks Mate!

9. Post #529
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts
    Coming through, the winner* of the Custom Ammo contest

Sound effects expertly crafted by Harry

*please
    more like wiener
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 5Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    1,948 Posts
    Behold! A sentry!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 20Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #531
    August 2012
    353 Posts
    Behold! A sentry!

I like this. More protection, more damage, less directional aiming (That model clearly cannot aim up or down)

Might encounter some nightmares if/when a Wrangler gets involved.

12. Post #532
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts
    it simply aims in the direction the wrangler is pointing, without aiming up

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,798 Posts
    Behold! A sentry!

The shear size of the thing makes me think that you'd have to build it to level 2 before its actually able to shoot. level one is one part and level 2 is the second part, then level 3 adds those armor plates.

Edit: Now for more weapons. This time a melee a friend of mine came up with.

It's going to be a sandman/wrap ass replacement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    3,063 Posts
    bullets so big its very use is a war crime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #535
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts
    then it gets added to the game and bam, it only deals increased knockback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Chile Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

16. Post #536
    I sell Bot Doggers and Bot Dogger accessories
    November 2011
    1,601 Posts

Crosspost from Emporium. Happy with it so far but it feels somehow plain. Any ideas/critique?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

17. Post #537
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    4,782 Posts

Crosspost from Emporium. Happy with it so far but it feels somehow plain. Any ideas/critique?
    sometimes plain is good. i like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    October 2012
    755 Posts
    I've run into a problem. If I rig the rifle so the bolt can be pulled it breaks in the 3rd person view, I guess that's why none of the other rifles have their bolts animated.

I'm guessing my options are

1) Deal with it and don't make an animation for the bolt being pulled
    2) Find an animator who knows how to make and mod 1st and 3rd person animations.

The funny thing about the 3rd person animation is that the existing motion is perfect for this bolt. It's just the Weapon bone placement that jacks it.

Any thoughts?

19. Post #539
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts
    it'll depend entirely on how much devotion you have put into this project. if you really want it to look and act as you have envisioned it, then by all means get someone who can do said custom animations and go for it. if not, you can ignore said feature and let valve handle the rest if they ever feel a fix its necesary, and move into texturing.

alternatively, you can animate the weapon in SFM as a demostration for display pruposes, and update it with a proper inagme animation later on if necesary.

20. Post #540
    October 2012
    755 Posts
    it'll depend entirely on how much devotion you have put into this project. if you really want it to look and act as you have envisioned it, then by all means get someone who can do said custom animations and go for it. if not, you can ignore said feature and let valve handle the rest if they ever feel a fix its necesary, and move into texturing.

alternatively, you can animate the weapon in SFM as a demostration for display pruposes, and update it with a proper inagme animation later on if necesary.
    Well I'd personally love to see it animated proper. Any talented animators/moders out there want to give it a shot?

21. Post #541
    September 2012
    245 Posts
    A heavy melee I just finished up. Vote it up if you like it!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 37 (list)

22. Post #542
    April 2013
    1,280 Posts
    How does implementing custom weapon animations work? Even if I get a proper set of viewmodel animations and modify the third person animations to work, wouldn't I have to overwrite the pistol's animations and screw up other engineer pistols?

23. Post #543
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    16,580 Posts
    Oh hey another fallout inspired weapon. Looks nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    June 2014
    1,585 Posts
    It does! But I'm not sure it fits the TF2 style very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    16,580 Posts
    Fits more than the steel fists imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #546

August 2015
    1 Posts

This is as far as I got with my submission. I can't figure out how to export it. I don't get the option to export as XMD.

If anyone who's compenent at making mods could take a look at it, and maybe make it a functional skin want's to see the .blend you can grab it Here "].
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #547
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,313 Posts
    Bubblegum dispenser WIP, design by Badgerpig

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 22 (list)

28. Post #548
    January 2015
    113 Posts
    The proportions could use a bit of tweaking. Here's a sloppy edit:

Thanks!

Applied your suggestions, added sharp edges and optimized the model, now it's at 8,093 tris.

Anything else I should change?

(thanks to OverPovered for the help)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,620 Posts

More progress on the Gyun. Thinking I should be exaggerating the flash hider somewhat, as well as the ridges on the ammo box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

30. Post #550
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts

More progress on the Gyun. Thinking I should be exaggerating the flash hider somewhat, as well as the ridges on the ammo box.
    Consider changing the muzzle or whatever the fuck the thing is called, kinda looks like a hose atm. Rest is neato!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #551
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts

This is as far as I got with my submission. I can't figure out how to export it. I don't get the option to export as XMD.

If anyone who's compenent at making mods could take a look at it, and maybe make it a functional skin want's to see the .blend you can grab it Here "].
    Here's a tutorial on how to use blender for making TF2 items. The title says its old, but weapons still use the old system, so it should cover your needs.
    I linked to the second part of the video which talks about exporting. Sorry if you already saw this video.

32. Post #552
    Dim
    September 2013
    243 Posts
    Concept is back up for grabs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #553
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts
    So I want to implement custom animations for a weapon I'm making. How does that work? Even if I get a proper set of viewmodel animations and modify the third person animations to work, wouldn't I have to overwrite the pistol's animations and screw up other engineer pistols?
    I believe that would be the case, but I'm no modder. As an entry to Arms Race 2, I would be totally fine with that issue, but as a public mod release it wouldn't be too good.

34. Post #554
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts

Hey guys,

I just released the Arms Race 2 Workshop Collection.

Make sure to upvote the collection and all your favorite entries.

I will update it regularly with new submissions, so check back often.

Also I updated the Workshop Submission Description Links to include a link to the workshop here's the code:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Srw2jF0.png[/img]
    [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TF2ArmsRace][img]https://i.imgur.com/7qGdZy6.png[/img][/url]
    [url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478659501][img]https://i.imgur.com/L31AHMH.png[/img][/url]
    [url=http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1475475][img]https://i.imgur.com/eS9y2eH.png[/img][/url]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/EdTW7Gz.png[/img]

and here's what it looks like...

There will be one more update that will include a link to the voting thread once that is up.

Edited:

I made a mistake with the links, but now they are fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,905 Posts
    I've run into a problem. If I rig the rifle so the bolt can be pulled it breaks in the 3rd person view, I guess that's why none of the other rifles have their bolts animated.

I'm guessing my options are

1) Deal with it and don't make an animation for the bolt being pulled
    2) Find an animator who knows how to make and mod 1st and 3rd person animations.

The funny thing about the 3rd person animation is that the existing motion is perfect for this bolt. It's just the Weapon bone placement that jacks it.

Any thoughts?

make Lod0 be viewmodel only by having Lod1 happen at 0 or 1 units away, and just rig the lod1 bolt to weapon bone. I think that's how stuff like the backscatter works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #556
    October 2012
    755 Posts
    make Lod0 be viewmodel only by having Lod1 happen at 0 or 1 units away, and just rig the lod1 bolt to weapon bone. I think that's how stuff like the backscatter works
    I think you just saved me a rather large headache. Thanks much :)

37. Post #557
    July 2012
    806 Posts
    Thanks!

Applied your suggestions, added sharp edges and optimized the model, now it's at 8,093 tris.

Remove the grate on the bottom (which I drew but didn't mention explicitly before). It doesn't add anything and will save some more tris. And connect the pipes on the rear handle - the gap there is unnecessary. I'd also remove that tiny knob on the pipe that goes into the barrel near the rear handle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #558
    WnR

June 2013
    778 Posts
    Thanks!

If these are leather or fabric straps, that's not how straps work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 8Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #559
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts

meant to replace the mannmelter and the frying pan using the shotgun animations.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Chile Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

40. Post #560
    January 2015
    113 Posts

If these are leather or fabric straps, that's not how straps work.
    Shit, how did I not notice that

Fixing it now, thanks.