1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,954 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/20/us/ohi...led/index.html

(CNN)While friends were commenting on his last Facebook post Friday -- and some were reading text messages indicating his plan to commit suicide by cop -- Trepierre Hummons called 911 then waited with a gun for police to arrive, Cincinnati police said.

When they did, he and shot and killed 48-year-old Officer Sonny Kim, a husband and father of three, police said.

Then he opened fire on two more officers, said Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffery Blackwell.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/friends-com...y-kim/33679692

When he was not patrolling the streets of District 2, Kim was a senei at Japanese Karate-do in Symmes Township. His students placed flowers at the door of the Karate studio on Friday afternoon.

Sources told WLWT News 5 Kim was working overtime when he was shot and killed.
    This is terrible news for us in Cincinnati. I know people who trained under Sonny Kim, it sucks to hear him go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Friendly Friendly x 132Starred Starred x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    August 2011
    238 Posts
    This messed up. What the fuck is wrong with people, why they didnt report his fb post?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Azerbaijan Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,790 Posts
    This messed up. What the fuck is wrong with people, why they didnt report his fb post?
    My only guess is people didn't take it seriously enough.

Committing suicide via another person is probably the most selfish act you could possibly commit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,222 Posts
    seriously, why do people think it's okay to commit suicide via this action? you're taking the life of someone else in the process of taking your own, it's so fucking pathetic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    10,645 Posts
    My guess is that they might have thought it was some kind of joke; hindsight is always 20/20 as they say. The FB post, I can understand, since it doesn't hint as to what he was planning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome India Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,954 Posts
    He's also the first CPD officer to be killed in the line of duty since the year 2000. https://www.odmp.org/agency/678-cinc...epartment-ohio
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 48 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    September 2008
    12,030 Posts
    It's disgusting. A family lost their father simply because he chose not to be trigger happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    10,645 Posts
    seriously, why do people think it's okay to commit suicide via this action? you're taking the life of someone else in the process of taking your own, it's so fucking pathetic.
    It's a mixed bag in the occurrence of such incidents, because in some cases (like this one) the officers may have no idea that the suicidal individual might try to kill them too. The textbook definition usually says they deliberately put themselves into situations where a LEO or other legitimately armed individual is provoked into lethal response.

There are two specific categories; when it happens during the commission of crimes, or as in this case, a person contemplates suicide, and chooses this method to kill themselves.

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    January 2015
    808 Posts
    He's also the first CPD officer to be killed in the line of duty since the year 2000. https://www.odmp.org/agency/678-cinc...epartment-ohio
    Does this mean Cincinnati is a really safe city? I have been there, neat city.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,954 Posts
    There are some shady parts, but Cincinnati's improved a lot in terms of crime in the past decade. Over-The-Rhine used to be somewhere NOBODY wanted to go, but now it's essentially the place where all young people like to go at night for drinks and it's really involved in the arts now (there's still a relatively high level of drug-related crime in the area though).

Then again it's not like police are killed every day even in other cities, and there is definitely the same correlations between race, poverty and crime like other cities in the US.

The overall crime rate's not as low as it was before the 2001 riots (Cincy has a very long history of riots) but it's still gone down since then.

Things are honestly looking up for Cincinnati, in my opinion. A lot of what we have going for us is our historic landmarks and our interesting history, so a lot of money is being put into trying to not be like the rest of the Rust Belt.

The Christian Moerlein Brewing Co., which used to be one of the largest brewing companies in the United States before Prohibition, re-opened up a few years ago and is a big player in our also pretty big craft beer scene.

The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal is basically our landmark at this point. They recently got a bill approved that will allow a fraction of a cent to fund restoration of the building.

Also there's our famous streetcar system, which may or may not be built and reopened if City government can figure out whether and how they want to fund it.

Our sports teams still kinda suck since the 90's but I don't care as long as they beat Pittsburgh in something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,244 Posts
    Heard about this the other day. Takes a sick fuck to kill an officer because he wants to die by cop. Big loss for Cincy community.

12. Post #12
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    10,182 Posts
    The only way someone should ever do suicide by cop is by shooting at, but actively missing the officers.

Or even just using blanks or something.

Don't actually fucking shoot them wtf prick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2013
    3,484 Posts
    sometimes it's because they can't do it themselves, either because they're too scared or it's too hard or something along those lines.

14. Post #14
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    8,475 Posts
    The only way someone should ever do suicide by cop is by shooting at, but actively missing the officers.

Suicide by cop should never be done at all. Not even with blank rounds. A Police officer whould have to live with the fact that he had to kill a person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,817 Posts
    Suicide by cop should never be done at all. Not even with blank rounds. A Police officer whould have to live with the fact that he had to kill a person.
    They go into the career, they should expect that shit.

I mean really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 61Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    10,182 Posts
    Obviously it should never be done ideally, but I'm talking if you're fucked up enough to do it, at least be courteous when you going out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2013
    3,484 Posts

I mean really.
    i expect my mother to die one day.
    doesn't mean it wont hurt me tremendously when it does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 22 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gone but never forgotten.
    November 2009
    19,633 Posts
    Facebook is about as stupid as it gets when it comes to this stuff. They dont care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2012
    1,537 Posts
    This is horrible. Poor bastard.

I don't understand suicide by cop when you already have a loaded gun. Wouldn't it be a lot quicker, simpler, less painful and less selfish just to shoot yourself in the head?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gone but never forgotten.
    November 2009
    19,633 Posts

I mean really.
    no, no one expects to be killed responding to a 911 call. No one expects to be killed at all.

Edited:

merge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    August 2010
    2,817 Posts
    no, no one expects to be killed responding to a 911 call. No one expects to be killed at all.

Edited:

merge
    uh he said if he had to kill someone

not get killed

pretty sure you don't care when you're dead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2012
    10,583 Posts
    This is horrible. Poor bastard.

I don't understand suicide by cop when you already have a loaded gun. Wouldn't it be a lot quicker, simpler, less painful and less selfish just to shoot yourself in the head?
    You're trying to use logic on someone who wishes to kill themselves. It doesn't work like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

December 2013
    1,797 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts

If you're currently in possession of a gun you already have a painless way of killing yourself, just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2007
    1,092 Posts
    Gun problem? What gun problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2014
    513 Posts
    The only way someone should ever do suicide by cop is by
    How about we just don't kill ourselves at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,729 Posts

not get killed

I mean really.

get a grip man

people don't go into a police force career to kill people. they shouldn't expect to shoot someone down every time they respond to a call. no idea what you're on about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,222 Posts

not get killed

what does that even mean? yeah sure, you're dead, but it doesn't mean that you wanted the event to happen. plus loved ones, friends, and anyone else that cared about you will actually care a LOT when you die, especially in a scenario like this.

plus it's in the back of an officers mind that they'll have to kill someone, especially responding to a 911 call. they don't automatically expect that every call they respond to that they'll have to kill someone, there's officers out there that have yet to have responded to a call where they had to shoot their gun, let alone kill another person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,244 Posts
    It's the first Cincinnati officer to die in the line of duty in 15 years. Stop using a mans death to push your own agenda.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    October 2010
    15,211 Posts
    A family lost their father simply because he chose not to be trigger happy.
    Not sure if that makes any sense at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2010
    95 Posts
    The officer killed was my uncle's partner for many years, he was at my grandmother's funeral, I don't even know what to say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2010
    858 Posts
    This isnt the thread to be discussing gun control.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    17,630 Posts
    It's kind of boring, but at least it's the "it's kind of whitebread" boring and not "everything's decayed and depressing" boring.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    8,899 Posts
    Piece of shit couldn't just end his own miserable life, instead he wanted to get in a shoot out and take others.

The ultimate act of selfishness, this guy doesn't even deserve a spot in hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,976 Posts
    They literally don't care. Good luck convincing them that they should.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Vivaldi Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member

March 2005
    5,414 Posts

I mean really.
    Most police officers retire without firing their weapon at anyone ever.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,288 Posts

Or maybe just maybe they should just shoot themselves in the fucking head and not put someone else through emotional turmoil?

What the fuck ever happened to just tanning your wrists in a hot bath?

Edited:

I mean really.
    It's hilarious people actually believe this.

Maybe people should stop fucking committing crime and shooting at cops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    September 2007
    1,301 Posts
    How about we just don't kill ourselves at all?
    If someone is suffering in terrible pain with an incurable disease you might change your tune! I'm not talking about this case though.

Edited:

Piece of shit couldn't just end his own miserable life, instead he wanted to get in a shoot out and take others.

The ultimate act of selfishness, this guy doesn't even deserve a spot in hell.
    There is no hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,954 Posts
    A guy posted this on the Cincinnati subreddit.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Vomit Vigilante
    January 2012
    5,077 Posts

I mean really.
    I went into a career expecting to kill people, doesn't mean I don't feel all fucked up about it.