1. Post #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts

History

Planimeter is a development collective and portfolio incubator made up of friends from North America, Europe, and Zealandia.
    We gather up some of the best developers, designers, and musicians we know and use our group to spread our projects' outreach.
    We welcome and select exceptional individuals who are producing creative works to join us.
    Planimeter was once known as Team Sandbox back when I and a few others were working on Half-Life 2: Sandbox.
    Since then we've tripled in size. All of our projects are generally worked on as side projects separate from work or school.

Projects

http://www.andrewmcwatters.com/vadventure/

http://www.andrewmcwatters.com/grid/
    https://github.com/Planimeter/grid-sdk

http://www.andrewmcwatters.com/axis/
    https://github.com/Planimeter/axis-api

http://polkm.itch.io/the-spooky-cave

Catalog

https://github.com/Planimeter/hl2sb
    https://github.com/Planimeter/hl2sb-src

I'll be setting up camp here for a while, and posting less in WAYWO since lately there's been a bit of talk about what I share there. I'll update this post as time goes on to flesh it out with more info about the projects and what we do.

http://www.andrewmcwatters.com/planimeter/
    https://github.com/Planimeter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Programming King Programming King x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,358 Posts
    Not trying to be some sort of 'grammar nazi', but on the grid page, should there really be a comma behind 'fast'? It looks wrong, just not sure if it actually is.

Could be you missed that after changing something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2008
    7,685 Posts
    Not trying to be some sort of 'grammar nazi', but on the grid page, should there really be a comma behind 'fast'? It looks wrong, just not sure if it actually is.
    oxford comma best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,358 Posts
    oxford comma best
    I've seen it being done before 'and', 'or' and such, but not before an ampersand, that's why I pointed it out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts

Could be you missed that after changing something
    Oh shoot. You're right. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited:

Boom!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2007
    842 Posts
    This will be an option in the settings but I'm not doing it until later. So vote for what you think looks nicest please so that I can use it for now.

zing: top, rainbow: bottom

bonus picture of the nexus

<3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    I was getting my car serviced yesterday. While I was waiting at the dealership, I cobbled together some really poor attempts at trying to figure out what the Tudor-styled buildings would look like in VA.
    I took some time to read up on architecture from the middle ages. I am not good at drawing, lol.

It takes me a while to make assets because I don't have a good flow yet, so I broke it down into parts.
    I haven't entirely figured out if I want buildings to existing in the region space you're already in, or if you should be taken to a different region for the inside of a building.
    So I'm playing with the idea right now.

I made a door to test that idea out. It's gonna be a separate prop, so you can act on it. Here it is next to some other assets.
    I wanted it to be smaller than world gates, which are suppose to look like they're towering over players.

Also, magic circles!

Edited:

Trying to think of a good way to draw shadows. My first try is kinda ugly, and makes every surface almost seem shiny.

Edited:

Could just be the angle...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts

Here's darker... y/n?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    Here's the public roadmap for Vertex Adventure. It's primarily for Planimeter folks, but since our issue tracker is public now, this might interest some people.
    https://github.com/Planimeter/vertex-adventure/issues/2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    Grid v1.5.0 is out, a code drop of the recent shadow work has been provided in this new version. We've moved up a little bit to 130 stars! Neat. https://github.com/Planimeter/grid-sdk

You can occasionally find us posting version releases on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/ now, too. Oh, and HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9726250

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    was playing around with those speech bubbles tonight that i had been showing about waywo for a little while. should look something like this when im done:

Edited:

had to do the initial chat hook and see if i wanted it to render in worldspace, though

the answer to the latter is a big fat no
    it seemed like a cool idea at first, though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    ForMod2013
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,042 Posts
    how much for rune scim?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    wave2: 35k ea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    ForMod2013
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,042 Posts
    I only got a bronze full helm and 10 body runes, that ok?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    Yeah sure *swaps out rune scim for bronze one last second before accepting trade*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    Doing chat variations for breakfast.

obligatory lol

Edited:

i kinda think they all suck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    May 2013
    207 Posts
    The runescape one beats all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    The runescape one beats all.
    Yeah, I was thinking about drawing up a quick custom typeface for in-game chat that kinda has a similar pixely feel.

19. Post #19
    ~ ducks ~
    April 2011
    2,419 Posts

perfection right here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2013
    207 Posts
    Have the bubbles as a personal customization option for the individual user.
    People love personalization.

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    matthew was saying i should bring them back, im thinking about it, but styling them instead of them being plain white with an outline and such

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    You should try doing it like this:

Also, add a customizable transparency to the background.

Edited:

The white bubbles just won't match the style of the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    I agree. I've been playing around with colors and transparency. Also re-implementing line mode drawing for rectangles in Grid...

function rectangle( mode, x, y, width, height )
    	if ( mode == "line" ) then
    		x1 = x          - 0.5
    		y1 = y                + _lineWidth / 2
    		x2 = x + width  - 0.5 - _lineWidth / 2
    		y2 = y                + _lineWidth / 2
    		x3 = x + width  - 0.5 - _lineWidth / 2
    		y3 = y + height - 0.5 - _lineWidth / 2
    		x4 = x          - 0.5 + _lineWidth / 2
    		y4 = y + height - 0.5 - _lineWidth / 2
    		x5 = x          - 0.5 + _lineWidth / 2
    		y5 = y          - 0.5 + _lineWidth
    		line( x1, y1,
    		      x2, y2,
    		      x3, y3,
    		      x4, y4,
    		      x5, y5 )
    	else
    		graphics.rectangle( mode, x, y, width, height )
    	end
    end

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    asshat
    August 2006
    3,394 Posts
    so is this pronounced plan-ih-meeter or plannimmitter?

Edited:

it's a serious question. thermometer is pernounced thermahmitter but centimeter is pronounced sentihmeeter

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    so is this pronounced plan-ih-meeter or plannimmitter?

Edited:

it's a serious question. thermometer is pernounced thermahmitter but centimeter is pronounced sentihmeeter
    i've pronounced it "play-ni-meh-ter", "play-nim-i-ter", "pluh-ni-mih-ter", and every variation in-between
    i usually pronounce it "pluh-nim-i-ter"

Edited:

It's funny because you can't really get a solid answer for this anywhere, either, and I think it varies greatly due to American and English stresses.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/planimeter
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/planimeter

Edited:

This isn't working out...

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts

Edited:

Hmm, I think it's clear that I actually do need a pixel typeface. That mesh between the styles looks weird. And the cobblestones seem a bit sloppy.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,177 Posts
    I really hope VA will be stuffed with RS references.
    Else I'll be very disappoint.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    Yeah, and Facepunch references. :)

I've been working on asset stuff all day and I think I need to reevaluate how my workflow works.

I updated Grid to recreate region spritebatches when a tileset is live reloaded. The engine will detect my changes from Photoshop, and I can edit the regions in Tiled without having to reopen the game.
    I found that part of the process really fun. I changed or added tile designs, updated the region, and saw changes immediately. I'm trying to move at a faster pace than I usually do. This sped up my workflow.

if ( _CLIENT ) then
    	function region.reloadSpriteBatches( filename )
    		if ( not string.find( filename, "images/tilesets/" ) ) then
    			return
    		end

for _, region in ipairs( region.regions ) do
    			for _, regionlayer in ipairs( region:getLayers() ) do
    				if ( regionlayer:getType() == "tilelayer" ) then
    					print( "Reloaded spritebatch for " .. tostring( regionlayer ) )
    					regionlayer:createSpriteBatch()
    				end
    			end
    		end
    	end

hook.set( "client", region.reloadSpriteBatches, "onReloadImage", "reloadSpriteBatches")
    end

I'm kinda stubborn: I want to use tiles, but I don't want the game to look overly tiled. So I'm going back to the drawing board and studying some games that do rely on a tile workflow, and not a scene workflow.
    I'm sort of trying to force a scene workflow into a tile-based game and I'm doing a bad job of it. It's quickly making assets look poorly done.

So I'm going to take some time to recreate some base assets and try and expand the map as much as possible.
    I'm pretty overdue for this, but it takes me a while to build up the courage to try to do more, and try to be quicker.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    oh well... anyone gonna keep this updated? All the projects here are kinda interesting.

30. Post #30
    May 2013
    207 Posts
    I will be maintaining the thread. Can't promise to post as many updates, but will happily answer questions.

Edit: We're planning a dev-blog at some point, which would make this thread redundant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2014
    65 Posts
    What was Andrew banned for? I've always loved things he was posting on WAYWO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    For saying "yes" in some dumb thread. (It is actually quite dumb reason for ban)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    What was Andrew banned for? I've always loved things he was posting on WAYWO.
    amc getting permabanned is a time-honoured WAYWO tradition
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2013
    207 Posts
    Only 11 months until Garry's birthday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,812 Posts
    For saying "yes" in some dumb thread. (It is actually quite dumb reason for ban)
    The reasoning and arguments the mod posted in the refugee camp are even worse, jesus christ.

One of the arguments were his ban history being "a clear indicator". It includes 3 bans in almost 6 years where all of them are for different reasons. Although i don't know his alt account (which was mentioned in mod reply) so i can't say anything about that one.

Here's the thread: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1472312
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    I am blue, sorry.

But three bans history is bullshit.

I mean, I must be lucky (I am not) to be still alive according to ban history.

37. Post #37
    March 2014
    65 Posts
    I'm looking forward to Planimeter devblog then, I love seeing your work :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,812 Posts
    I am blue, sorry.

But three bans history is bullshit.

I mean, I must be lucky (I am not) to be still alive according to ban history.
    Mine is even worse. Growing up was hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    August 2008
    7,685 Posts
    Mine is even worse. Growing up was hard.
    joined when I was 12, can you tell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    pretty much same story here.
    However I haven't been banned in years, before that most of my bans were just for "why reply?" and eventually I just stopped trying to be funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)