1. Post #1001
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    Er, so this is a long shot. Did I give any of you guys the source to My Little Starship? I just realised I haven't worked on it for over a year and I dunno where I left all the code. If you've got it could you let me know please? Otherwise I guess I'll just start over or something. xoxo nige
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 20Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #1002
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    nige!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

3. Post #1003
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    hello! i lost everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 22Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #1004
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts
    Er, so this is a long shot. Did I give any of you guys the source to My Little Starship? I just realised I haven't worked on it for over a year and I dunno where I left all the code. If you've got it could you let me know please? Otherwise I guess I'll just start over or something. xoxo nige
    Where's your source control m8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

5. Post #1005
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    Where's your source control m8
    same place as my hopes and dreams, i never had any
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 30Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #1006
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    well get some soon

Edited:

atleast wish you would be rich bastard, then law of attraction will work and you will be rich bastard

the ones who agreed me, i was kidding about law of attraction. Sorry   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1007
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    hello! i lost everything
    holy crap dude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #1008
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    happened to me once when I used my PC for one crazy ass party and I accidentally hit HDD with my drunken leg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

9. Post #1009
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    holy crap dude
    ye p much. what did i miss?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1010
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    2 years ago I was talking to you about possibly joining what would eventually become this collective
    that thing i was working on got a little bit of a following and im going to conferences talking about it now

im still working on that game that i wanted to write quests with you in. for a small bit of time recently i've occasionally been the butt of jokes here because i put priority on things that most people here wouldn't,
    and i ended up posting frequently enough it became annoying so i stopped and moved my posts elsewhere so i wouldnt cause any trouble anymore

thats just stuff i've been doing though, i think it's been 2 years right? anyway yeah lots of stuff other people have done here in the mean time too

Edited:

glad you're back, hopefully to stick around?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

11. Post #1011
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Explain how you lost your data and I might be able to help you recover it

Edited:

I keep all my downloads so I'll sift through them, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #1012
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    2 years ago I was talking to you about possibly joining what would eventually become this collective
    that thing i was working on got a little bit of a following and im going to conferences talking about it now

im still working on that game that i wanted to write quests with you in. for a small bit of time recently i've occasionally been the butt of jokes here because i put priority on things that most people here wouldn't,
    and i ended up posting frequently enough it became annoying so i stopped and moved my posts elsewhere so i wouldnt cause any trouble anymore

thats just stuff i've been doing though, i think it's been 2 years right? anyway yeah lots of stuff other people have done here in the mean time too

Edited:

glad you're back, hopefully to stick around?
    Awesome stuff man! Yeah, I imagine I'll stick around. I'm looking through old MLS videos and it's making me want to throw myself into gamedev again. I've been living in a bedbug infested nightmare hole since last February without a good workspace so programming hasn't been practical. Also I've only really got a netbook, but I'm moving into an insect-free paradise hole soon so the gamedev is back on.

Edited:

Explain how you lost your data and I might be able to help you recover it

Edited:

I keep all my downloads so I'll sift through them, though.
    Not sure how I lost it - I just can't find it! Most likely is on a HDD somewhere so it might turn up in the next couple days. Don't go to too much effort digging through your stuff! Thanks tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #1013
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Just search for .jar files overnight

Edited:

And/or zips

Edited:

Wasn't in my downloads folder, sorry!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1014
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    This is why I have 2 external hard drives, a NAS, Dropbox, and GitHub.

I can't even imagine loosing my work. I hope you find yours!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #1015
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,199 Posts
    Anybody interested in a Croc .NET binding?

http://jfbillingsley.com/croc/wiki
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Croatia Show Events

16. Post #1016
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,772 Posts
    Anyone in here do any SSAO before?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1017
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,617 Posts
    Not sure how I lost it - I just can't find it! Most likely is on a HDD somewhere so it might turn up in the next couple days. Don't go to too much effort digging through your stuff! Thanks tho
    I PMed this to you, but I think it's probably useful to a few others here too:
    Everything is extremely fast at finding files by name after indexing a partition's directory structure.

When you look at version control also check out Mercurial (via TortoiseHg).
    It's a lot more difficult to break than Git and a bit easier to get started with.
    The downside is that GitHub doesn't support it, but Bitbucket has a better free tier anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #1018
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    git > svn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

19. Post #1019
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    8,130 Posts
    It's a lot more difficult to break than Git and a bit easier to get started with.
    How difficult is it to break Git exactly, most of the time I have no idea what am doing and I have yet to do something that takes longer than 5 minutes of googling to fix or lost data
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #1020
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,571 Posts
    How difficult is it to break Git exactly, most of the time I have no idea what am doing and I have yet to do something that takes longer than 5 minutes of googling to fix or lost data
    The worst I've done is commit while not on a branch, which isn't too hard to fix but it's a little scary for a beginner to be told you have a detached HEAD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 48Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1021
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,617 Posts
    I have yet to really break Hg once, so I'd say it's very easy in comparison
    The few times that I made a mistake repair was under ten seconds by pressing Ctrl+U / doing a hg rollback.
    If for some reason a command is interrupted mid-process you only need to hg recover and can then continue immediately.

I don't think there are any other failure modes Hg can enter besides those two...
    Subrepo deadlock was a thing (pretty sure that happens with Git too if you remove subrepo revisions by amending and then try to amend the main one), but the Evolve extension makes that completely safe once you install it.

I also like the default branching and sync models more than Git's as they are a bit more robust.
    (Hg flow doesn't really involve rebasing, since there's no true benefit to linear history there due to sane unlabelled head revision behaviour.
    If you want to keep a branch from syncing you mark it as private until you're done, but you can also select specific branches like in Git if you want.)

Edited:

I edit history a lot though (and do other strange stuff like repository reboots), so maybe that's why I keep running into issues with Git.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Germany Show Events

22. Post #1022
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,250 Posts
    git > svn
    mercurial isn't subversion though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #1023
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,298 Posts
    If you never use --force, I don't think you can break or lose anything.
       And even if you did a --force push, there's ways to undo it depending on the situation.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #1024
    If you never use --force, I don't think you can break or lose anything.
       And even if you did a --force push, there's ways to undo it depending on the situation.   
    Git is just a bunch of immutable datastructures, so even if you do a --force, the data is still there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #1025
    April 2011
    344 Posts
    Anyone in here do any SSAO before?
    Natrox posted a guide a while back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Firefox France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1026
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    mercurial isn't subversion though
    it's a joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #1027
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,298 Posts
    The worst I've done is commit while not on a branch, which isn't too hard to fix but it's a little scary for a beginner to be told you have a detached HEAD.
    The worst thing I've done is an interactive rebase 30 commits back on a pull request branch, unknowingly adding every commit to the branch.

In CLI it looks fine, but on github..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #1028
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,751 Posts
    Aborting a commit in progress will probably destroy your entire local repository beyond repair. I don't think that is yet a thing that is fixed.

It rarely happens, but in case of power loss this is a real issue. Even though file systems probably manage to save and recover the data, any commits not successfully completed will have destroyed the entire repository, since the data is not in a atomic transactional format. At least, not as far as I remember. If anyone has any updated sources on this being fixed, I'd love to hear about it.
    This is my main reason for not using git.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

29. Post #1029
    Aborting a commit in progress will probably destroy your entire local repository beyond repair. I don't think that is yet a thing that is fixed.

It rarely happens, but in case of power loss this is a real issue. Even though file systems probably manage to save and recover the data, any commits not successfully completed will have destroyed the entire repository, since the data is not in a atomic transactional format. At least, not as far as I remember. If anyone has any updated sources on this being fixed, I'd love to hear about it.
    This is my main reason for not using git.
    Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply return to the previous HEAD state?

Of course the difficulty of this in practice may be a bit more.. involved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #1030
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    169 Posts
    I spent some time learning about how managed DLLs work, and got Rant working in Unreal by making a quick and (very) dirty interface!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #1031
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,199 Posts
    I spent some time learning about how managed DLLs work, and got Rant working in Unreal by making a quick and (very) dirty interface!

To make your life easier.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/UnmanagedExports
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Croatia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #1032
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    169 Posts
    I've come across solutions like this, but I wanted to refrain from editing Rant's code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events

33. Post #1033
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,844 Posts

You have created a very dangerous and wonderful thing.

Please make something awesome with this.

Edited:

I've come across solutions like this, but I wanted to refrain from editing Rant's code.
    I will look into this for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

34. Post #1034
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    So what does this do? Does it embed Mono or something in the DLL?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #1035
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,199 Posts
    So what does this do? Does it embed Mono or something in the DLL?
    What? No.

There's the .export keyword in .NET intermediate language.

Edited:

It's just C# doesn't implement it.

Edited:

Well it's actually more complicated than that with the .vtentry, .vtfixup, .data and .export keywords.

Edited:

Code:
    .method assembly static void modopt ([mscorlib]System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CallConvCdecl) SomeMethod() cil managed {
        .vtentry 1 : 1
        .export [1] as SomeMethod
        // il crap here
    }
    For those interested
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Croatia Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #1036
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    What? No.

There's the .export keyword in .NET intermediate language.
    Hey, I didn't know that :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #1037
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,114 Posts
    i have absolutely no idea why i started with python 2.7 rather than 3.x

only started a week or two ago so it's not like i would have anything to relearn... next project i guess

Edited:

also apparently centos relies on 2.6.6 for yum and other things and will break if you update it rather than installing it side by side

fucking centos what the hell
    Install Debian. Centos is RHEL, which is not designed to be updated.
    RHEL is so your company can write some software for one version of RHEL (or centos) and be extremely confident that it will run on any other install of that version of RHEL.
    This is great for reproducible builds and uniform deployments but shit for general use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

38. Post #1038
    January 2011
    3,304 Posts
    Install Debian. Centos is RHEL, which is not designed to be updated.
    RHEL is so your company can write some software for one version of RHEL (or centos) and be extremely confident that it will run on any other install of that version of RHEL.
    This is great for reproducible builds and uniform deployments but shit for general use.
    Or Fedora, which is meant to be the desktop version of RHEL (well, the other way around).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

39. Post #1039
    June 2010
    1,567 Posts
    Wait hang on if you guys are going to have a source control discussion let me dust off the popcorn maker first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #1040
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,250 Posts
    nige if you decide to start over, give either me, ryan, or polkm a yell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)