1. Post #1
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    SOMA, Frictional Games' upcoming horror game, recently ran an ARG. The ARG had consisted of running commands in a console for the virtual 'PathOS', which can be found at:
    http://somagame.com/YuXIm5/pathos2_cnsl/

You can view all of the discovered commands and their results, accounts and passwords, as well as some summaries of what happened, at this pastebin.

The ARG was progressed by accessing accounts, playing minigames and solving puzzles. Most of the ARG was completed by 4chan's /v/ along with a small group on the Frictional Games forum.

What happened?

The command console website was found by clicking the red glowing light found in one of the pictures in the gallery on SOMA's website. The command console is for PathOS, the operating system used at the research facility Pathos II, the setting of the game. Pathos II is split into multiple sites, named after letters in the Greek alphabet. A large number of sites have been compromised and more are facing problems by the hour. It is speculated that the main AI at Pathos II, WAU, has gone rogue. Right now Pathos II is a complete mess. Floods, escaped subjects and malicious AIs thinking they are human such as the one seen in this teaser. It is also speculated that this ARG ties in with the film 'Depth' that is going to be about SOMA.

The first course of action was to access the admin account. The password to the account (whatisalpha) was discovered by rearranging the glitched letters found in the files on the SOMA website.
    Logging on to this account allowed access to a number of new files and commands. One of these files was the first minigame, qcode.exe, found in the wau directory. This game involved guessing animals from scrambled pictures of them. Some examples can be seen here. After enough people had completed this minigame, a countdown executable was started and two videos were released, reed.vid and song.vid.

Once the countdown had ended, the admin account was removed and a new account was created for Imogen Reed, an important character in the game's universe and the woman seen in both the SOMA 'Item' videos. The password to this account (yuLRzzz) was hidden in reed.vid, and allowed access to the new pipe dream minigame. This minigame required players to link together pipes by placing certain types from an inventory. An exmaple guide can be seen here. Much more people were required to complete this minigame. Once 100% was hit, countdown.exe was reset to a new time, a_g.txt appeared in the wau directory and structuregel.vid appeared in pk2.

The countdown finished and revealed pk3, pk4 and pk5. Imogen's account had been made inaccessible. The password to the account 'gask' (the nickname given to Adam in structuregel.vid) was found by using a cypher with the letters found in the same video. The new game was a text adventure. You had to traverse a small amount of rooms, surviving off of oxygen and avoiding a killer robot. Finding 3 terminals and using the codes they presented at a keypad would open the final door. Dying would lock you out of the game and you would not be able to retry. Only one person had to complete this and got a game key.

A new video was released along with a new account, WAU, being accessible. The password to this account was found using a spectrogram. This account allowed proper access to pk5 which revealed this page. The picture was different for everybody. The picture was pieced together and fixed to reveal an assortment of arranged pictures. A long time (less than a day) was spent trying to figure out the meaning of the pictures, especially when each picture included 'Io'. After some eventual hints from the Pathos II twitter, it was figured out that the goal was a youtube URL. The final URL consisted of the starting letter of the object displayed in each picture, along with some 0's inbetween. The final video?

Speculation
    The world has been destroyed or heavily damage some way by an asteroid, more specifically 99942 Apophis, as Project Apophis was the codename for the film 'Depth'.
    Pathos II is an undersea/underground facility.
    WAU (WArden Unit), the main AI for Pathis II has gone rogue.
    Possible parasites infiltrating the facility
    There are enemies in the game Called Jingashi, AKA Chinese ghosts. This is mentioned in a couple of press covers of the game.
    The protagonist/player is called Simon. You could have been kidnapped and you could be a robot.
    The structure gel in the walls of the facility is being pushed out of the walls, to the surface or is being controlled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Empty Browser String 123 Show Events Winner Winner x 13Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,119 Posts
    Finally. It feels like forever since I've seen the first trailers for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    302 Posts
    I was thinking about making a thread for this, too.

Last I checked, we were at around 17-18% completion for the pipe dream game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    I'll try to keep the OP updated with what has happened and what is currently happening.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,303 Posts
    >ping lambda

Pinging Lambda from 86.50.103.15 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from Lambda: bytes=32 time - timed out

Ping statistics for Lambda: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    is that a half-life 3 joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    13,608 Posts
    I was starting to believe this project was canned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    302 Posts
    I can confirm that there's a chance to win a free copy of SOMA when you complete the pipe dream minigame. It's not a Steam key, but it says to redeem it on their website when the game comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    1,851 Posts
    I was starting to believe this project was canned
    Frictional announced on their blog last month that they're currently running a closed beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2012
    457 Posts
    I just completed it - 24.81%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,314 Posts
    How do I backtrack from a directory?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,888 Posts
    I finished the pipe dream and got 28.32%

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    How do I backtrack from a directory?
    cd..
    with the two dots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,119 Posts
    This is a really shit distro.

Sure it can run windows .exe files but there aren't any man pages for anything and it's lacking in basic features.

Don't get me started on this DATABASE program either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #14

July 2011
    2,878 Posts
    Just finished it myself, completion at 33.81%

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,314 Posts
    Can someone give me a hint. I still haven't found a username or a password.

I wanna try and solve as much on my own. I imagine it's the qWxx txt file I gotta do something with, but I'm clueless.

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    349 Posts

I wanna try and solve as much on my own. I imagine it's the qWxx txt file I gotta do something with, but I'm clueless.
    You can't go through on your from the start since the first account and such has been deleted in place of the new one.

17. Post #17
    Worst Member
    July 2009
    5,805 Posts

username is ireed, short for Imogen Reed. Password is found in a single frame of the video titled reed.vid

trust me you'd get nowhere without having this stuff spoiled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,314 Posts
    Alright finished it. 39.03%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    You're saying you like dos more than me, right?
    April 2011
    4,522 Posts
    finished, 41.91

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,016 Posts
    Huh, glad to see ARGs still going.

Checking in to report I just did the game and hit 42.72%. Are we able to replay this and add more?

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    It's once per IP so if you change your IP then you can redo it.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,314 Posts
    Has anything been found out from the 1-22.snd files?

23. Post #23
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    People are desperately trying to figure them out. I think it was 13 that's different and has an actual conversation at the end. Nothing has come from mixing the different one and other ones together except slight bits of interference and stuff.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    302 Posts
    Has anything been found out from the 1-22.snd files?
    013.snd has a conversation at the end of it. Otherwise, no.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,314 Posts
    Also what does the assembly file do?

This one http://pastebin.com/QA4WLDrS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    Also what does the assembly file do?

This one http://pastebin.com/QA4WLDrS
    From what people have tried so far it just doesn't work. To quote directly.
    "You mean the assembly? The very first line add to a pointer and thus creates segfault and second line shows a bad opcode, it just won't work."

It resembles assembly but it might not be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,948 Posts
    I put in my effort, 52.12%.

28. Post #28
    March 2010
    208 Posts
    Completed the pd.exe minigame, and the counter hit 57.84%.

29. Post #29
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    We're around 75%.

30. Post #30
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    5,053 Posts
    New to consoles, how do I open the programs? When I try to run a video it says "could not run (video).vid.exe", and when I run an .exe it says "" could not be found". Are they locked or am I doing something wrong?
    I just want to read this stuff out of curiosity instead of cheat and go right to the puzzle.

31. Post #31
    October 2013
    207 Posts
    I did it, got 77.06%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,086 Posts
    New to consoles, how do I open the programs? When I try to run a video it says "could not run (video).vid.exe", and when I run an .exe it says "" could not be found". Are they locked or am I doing something wrong?
    I just want to read this stuff out of curiosity instead of cheat and go right to the puzzle.
    Make sure you've logged in by typing "login ireed yuLRzzz"

33. Post #33
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    5,053 Posts
    Make sure you've logged in by typing "login ireed yuLRzzz"
    Nevermind, I had to use "run play.exe (video).vid" instead of just "run (video)".

34. Post #34
    July 2013
    681 Posts

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    723 Posts
    Contributed by doing the puzzle. I also love the guy who does the pastebin:
    http://pastebin.com/X0GivsGP posted:
    =====>>>>> HOW TO GET TO THE PUZZLE FOR INBRED FUCKOS BELOW. SCROLL DOWN TO PD.EXE SECTION. <<<<<=========
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Unknown Browser United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    I hate you.
    April 2010
    2,577 Posts

37. Post #37
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    11,357 Posts
    How do I go back one directory?

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    How do I go back one directory?
    Someone in this thread asked the exact same question and got an answer. It's on this page man.

39. Post #39
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    11,357 Posts
    Someone in this thread asked the exact same question and got an answer. It's on this page man.
    Ah, for some reason I had already read your answer but it didn't register in my head.

Thanks!

Edited:

80.45% done.

40. Post #40
    August 2009
    349 Posts
    I'll be in bed when 100% hits most likely. I'll update stuff when I get on but it would be mighty nice if someone here, especially someone following /v/'s progress makes a little update post of stuff that happens.