1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Awesome! We will have to meet up at the event then.

Is it possible for you to bring your gear in case we get to have a sparing match?
    Yes, I'm bringing all of that, and enough feders from the club to share...Along with my own sword of course, but I have a feeling that the workshops will only accept feders.

2. Post #282
    July 2012
    112 Posts

This was just posted yesterday. Looks like a quality production.

Shame they didn't get Roland Warzecha in.

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    I wonder if he was offered at all. Eh, it's quite an ok production anyway...but I don't know, feels like it could've had bigger ambition than "these guys talk about HEMA"

4. Post #284
    July 2012
    112 Posts
    I wonder if he was offered at all. Eh, it's quite an ok production anyway...but I don't know, feels like it could've had bigger ambition than "these guys talk about HEMA"
    Humble beginning I suppose. I quite enjoy the simplicity of it.

5. Post #285
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    Only a couple of days 'till Swordfish starts, guys! Must admit I'm pretty stoked to participate.

The finals will be livestreamed if some of you are interested in watching them.

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Humble beginning I suppose. I quite enjoy the simplicity of it.
    There's a point in that. If anything, it's very good for the people who know very little about this.

7. Post #287
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    Back from Swordfish!

Went way better than I expected.

Won 4 out of 5 matches in the beginning pools, but sadly lost my first match in the elimination rounds.

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Congratulations to your victories, it was nice meeting you! Hopefully we'll meet again next year..

There's a video of us sparring, I'll put it up soon enough.

9. Post #289
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    Congratulations to your victories, it was nice meeting you! Hopefully we'll meet again next year..

There's a video of us sparring, I'll put it up soon enough.
    It was a pleasure to meet you as well! I hope you participate in the next year and we get to meet each other on the mat!

Otherwise you should participate in the tournament in Copenhagen!

Looking forward to seeing the video. (the stab you gave me in the chest still hurts lol)

Edited:

I might also post some videos of my fights, including the one where I bulldozed the norwegian dude out of the ring

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Way too much inactivity here. I'm gonna post my videos from Swordfish

Here's me vs Sunkite!

the only video that doesn't feature me

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    haven't posted here for awhile... i really need to get back into doing sca or historical warfare related things again.

g-strogg, who's sunkite in the videos? is it bo?

anyways, here are a few but hopefully, useful, info related to historical reenactment, sca, or hema. keep this thread alive.

rust prevention: pretty damn important for anyone with armour around. i personally hate wearing rusty pieces of armour that already look bad without rust and it's a pain scrubbing it out. so i found a blog (specifically focuses on mail but this can easily work for plate too) that did an experiment with oils that can prevent rust. it's quite an extensive series of blog posts complete with pictures. here's the link: http://www.customchainmail.com/category/experiments/
    if you're not bothered to cipher through all that, here are the basic results:
    Overall Results
    Fluid Film
    The winner, but with some drawbacks. Fluid Film won the overall rust challenge, and had some other pluses going for it. It smells the best, and (as I understand it) it is the most natural and safe. It has also been suggested that it is most consistent with what could have been used in the middle ages, which may be important to some. It is also a little cheaper than the other two, and a little easier to get locally for me (I live in Fort Lauderdale). The downside is that it leaves a very oily feel, which some may not like. Overall, it is a very good choice and will likely be what I use for my personal maille.

Eezox
    Second place, but for some it might be better. Eezox took second in the overall rust challenge, but has one enormous advantage over Fluid Film, in that it is less oily to the touch and should not transfer as much dirt to clothing. In fact, because of that fact it might have been the winner, but it does have a major downside. The downside is that it smells really bad, even to me who is not sensitive to bad smells. More importantly, if you look at the spec data, it appears that it is also the most toxic (I am not educated in this stuff, so if I am incorrect, please feel free to correct me). Overall, if the smell and posible toxicity is okay with you, and the oil is not, Eezox is probably the winner.

Break Free CLP
    Third Place. Break Free CLP, for as good as it did, does not seem to offer enough advantages over the other two finalists. It protects great, but not as well as the other two. It smells better than Eezox, but not as good as Fluid Film. It doesn’t appear to be toxic, but isn’t as safe as Fluid Film. It doesn’t leave as oily a feel as Fluid Film, but not as dry as Eezox. Overall, if you can’t find the other two easily, Break Free CLP is a fine choice, but I’d recommend Fluid Film or Eezox over it if you can get them. heck, I’ve just heard that someone found Break Free CLP at Walmart, so that certainly makes it easier to acquire than either of the other two.

WD-40
    Honorable Mention. WD-40 did not protect nearly as well as the other three, but it did better than the other 9 products tested. Because of its very low price and availability, it will do in a pinch if you run out of everything else. To help people make a more informed decision, I did a few other tests that people may care about.
    How to Build Your Own Kite Shield

This facebook group is a great resource for anybody interested in the late 16th century reenactment, specifically the fashion, although it is mostly limited to the english style.

and a pic of a very cool impression of a late roman soldier

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts

I got a video of us sparring in the group! Kimchi, you might appreciate the half-finished armour my friend has! He made all of it but the harness (which would explain why it's seemingly from a different time than the rest of the armour).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

13. Post #293
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    haven't posted here for awhile... i really need to get back into doing sca or historical warfare related things again.

g-strogg, who's sunkite in the videos? is it bo?
    Yes. We agreed on meeting at Swordfish for some fun experiences.

Also this thread died off rather abruptly.

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts

Here's some rapier according to Meyer.

Have the whole playlist, they recorded most of his devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_lc...qmKJng&index=1

Edited:

also don't forget to watch in 60fps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    real nice videos, especially since they're meyer rapier. it's kinda under-represented imo.

a cavalier of the Tang Dynasty

yeah this thread is real slow/empty these days. it's nearly always g-strogg, me, or sunkite posting lol.

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Well, we should do what we can.

Find nice videos, etc.

Also, Kimchi, you might be interested, I found a pdf of the I.33 which has the english translation overlaid on the images. Good for easier understanding of the manual. Everyone should look at it of course.

https://www.facebook.com/download/16...33complete.pdf

Should be a direct download link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    thanks! i was meaning to read through I.33 properly; nice to have this on the side. should make it easier.

also i might have posted Knyght Errant's videos before, but i'm recommending him again since he's really active these days. a video a week i think. he mostly focuses on armour and imo he's the probably the best on youtube.

also a small pdf of a guy's personal coif and some useful notes on the mail coif in history.
    http://www.currentmiddleages.org/art..._Bane_Coif.pdf

and a couple of sourced quotes from various historical authors on the nature of pike combat.
    https://artmilitary.wordpress.com/20...-push-of-pike/
    quite different from the idea that clashes between two pike squares were resolved with a bunch of dudes with zweihanders rushing in, chopping off pike heads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    thanks! i was meaning to read through I.33 properly; nice to have this on the side. should make it easier.

also i might have posted Knyght Errant's videos before, but i'm recommending him again since he's really active these days. a video a week i think. he mostly focuses on armour and imo he's the probably the best on youtube.

also a small pdf of a guy's personal coif and some useful notes on the mail coif in history.
    http://www.currentmiddleages.org/art..._Bane_Coif.pdf

and a couple of sourced quotes from various historical authors on the nature of pike combat.
    https://artmilitary.wordpress.com/20...-push-of-pike/
    quite different from the idea that clashes between two pike squares were resolved with a bunch of dudes with zweihanders rushing in, chopping off pike heads.
    Well, I thought doppelsoldners weren't part of the pike squares anyway? I maybe missed some detail here or there.

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    Well, I thought doppelsoldners weren't part of the pike squares anyway? I maybe missed some detail here or there.
    i guess it depends on which part of history of the pike in europe you're looking at. i don't think the very early swiss pike squares used any complex combinations. however from what i read, the history and evolution of pike squares and blocks like the tercio is pretty complex and requires sources that definitely list who were used. even then it isn't quite clear.

but so far, most sources if not all list that halberdiers were used with pike squares. men with firearms were also extensively used. i think there's also a misunderstanding of the word doppelsoldners by linking it to men who used zweihanders.

this historian, Daniel Staberg, goes into it further:
    The use of the Zweihander by the Doppelsöldner have been greatly exaggerated in modern times, widespread use is not supported by the period sources. For them the doppelsöldner was first and foremost an armoured pikeman as witnessed by for exampel the "Trewer rath" (probably written by Frundsberg himself) "...the Doppel-sölder, that is the armoured pike..." The Trewer Rath envisons a 21 ranks deep formation:
    (Each rank is 13 files wide)
    1-4th rank: "Doppelsöldner"
    5th rank: halberdiers
    6-7th rank: "Mittelsöldner"
    8-10th rank: "gemeinen söldner"
    11-13th rank: "Führern, Furirern, Waybeln und Schlachtschwerter" together with the two ensigns
    14-18th rank: "gemeiner söldner"
    19th rank: "knebelspeiss"
    20-21st rank: Doppelsöldner
    The Hauptmann stod in the middle of the 1st rank while the Leutnant stod in the last rank.
    On each side of the men with pikes, halberds and other melee weapons stod 23 ranks of men with firearms, each rank was 5 files wide. The first 4 ranks were made up of "doppel-schützen" i.e men armed with heavier firearms such as the musket or doppelhaken.

By the time the scribe of Daniel Rantzau was writing a war diary of the campaign of 1567-1568 the word "doppelsöldner" had become another name for an armoured pikeman. The landsknechts in Danish service havign doppelsöldner, men with "short weapons" (i.e halberds) and men with firearms. It seem that the unarmored or lightly armoured "mittelsöldner" & "gemein söldner" pikemen had been converted to arquebusiers who were far more usefull in the broken Swedish terrain. Only the well equipped and experience armoured doppelsöldner retained the pike.

The regulations for the Imperial troops laid down in 1570 envsioned the following organisation
    Each 400 man "fähnlein" of Landsknechts were to have 100 "fully harnessed" pikemen armed with pistols(!) (50 of these were to be doppelsöldner), 50 men with two-handed swords or other good polearms such as halberds also armed with pistols ("Good and experienced men to guard the standard") 50 unarmoured pikemen and 200 shot with firearm, good 'rapiers'(!) and helmets. The only doppelsöldner were the 50 picked pikemen.

According to Junghans von Olnitz a "Fähnlein" of 500 men should have 200 arquebusiers, 200 pikemen, 45 halberdiers, 45 men with boarspears and 10 men with "schlachtschwert".

Wintzenberger have a Fähnlein of 300 men: 82 doppelsöldner with harness and pikes, 14 doppelsöldner with harness and "schlachtschwert", 18 halberdiers, 42 musketeers and 144 arquebusiers.
    link to his post (it's further down the page)

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Well, all I know about the doppelsoldner is that they were in the front. Then of course they could be armed with whatever. but this made me assume that if you had greatsword-wielders in a square, and they would be the ones who would have to go front and assault the other pikesquare, then they would probably have earned that extra pay.

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    yeah that's understandable. i think that most of the time, the men armed with polearms in a pike block/square such as halberds were behind the first couple of rows of pikemen and sometimes, the men with the zweihanders (usually in much lower numbers), were mostly used to guard the ensign and the flag around the center of the square. doppelsoldners just seem to be the well armoured and probably the most experience pikemen out front.

i thought about having the guys with the greatswords out too but nearly every author i've read seem to emphasize the importance on the first rows of armoured men being armed with pikes. the halberdiers and sometimes, the shield and swords men, being the important support when the push of pike got really ugly or if the cavalry charge was breaking apart the square.

anyways, the most obvious facts remain that pike to pike combat was incredibly brutal and the number of greatsword-wielders in a pike square/block were relatively low.

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    yeah that's understandable. i think that most of the time, the men armed with polearms in a pike block/square such as halberds were behind the first couple of rows of pikemen and sometimes, the men with the zweihanders (usually in much lower numbers), were mostly used to guard the ensign and the flag around the center of the square. doppelsoldners just seem to be the well armoured and probably the most experience pikemen out front.

i thought about having the guys with the greatswords out too but nearly every author i've read seem to emphasize the importance on the first rows of armoured men being armed with pikes. the halberdiers and sometimes, the shield and swords men, being the important support when the push of pike got really ugly or if the cavalry charge was breaking apart the square.

anyways, the most obvious facts remain that pike to pike combat was incredibly brutal and the number of greatsword-wielders in a pike square/block were relatively low.
    Yes, I can see that from the sources you posted. However, in various discussions I see, they sometimes make a distinct difference between schlactschwert, which is what the banner-guards used, and the biden/doppelhänder. But sometimes, there is no difference made. I wonder why the same sword had so many names.

Edited:

(and zweihänder as a name for this sword was invented in the late 19th century iirc)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts

Anyone saw Warzechas new sparring vid? The intensity in which they spar with sharps now has reached a new level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    Yes, I can see that from the sources you posted. However, in various discussions I see, they sometimes make a distinct difference between schlactschwert, which is what the banner-guards used, and the biden/doppelhänder. But sometimes, there is no difference made. I wonder why the same sword had so many names.
    i guess that's the issue with renaissance/medieval naming. happens all the time with armour too. speaking of armour, here's a little excerpt about Sir Arthur Haselrig, commander of the london lobsters during the english civil war.
    Haselrig was shot three times at Roundway Down, with the bullets apparently bouncing off his armour. After firing a pistol at Haselrig's helmeted head at close range without any effect Richard Atkyns described how he attacked him with his sword, but it too caused no visible damage; Haselrig was under attack from a number of people and only succumbed when Atkyns attacked his unarmoured horse. After the death of his horse Haselrig tried to surrender; but as he fumbled with his sword, which was tied to his wrist, he was rescued. He suffered only minor wounds from his ordeal.
    also new knyght errant video

Edited:

roland's sharp sparring is always neat to watch

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,910 Posts
    I always liked HEMA. Never really got into it, but watching two people sparring is always entertaining.

I remember there was once a live demonstration of some HEMA members sparring with daggers and longswords. Kinda regret not sticking around longer now.

Anyone saw Warzechas new sparring vid? The intensity in which they spar with sharps now has reached a new level.
    Confused at 2:25, who exactly got the hit there?

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    I always liked HEMA. Never really got into it, but watching two people sparring is always entertaining.

I remember there was once a live demonstration of some HEMA members sparring with daggers and longswords. Kinda regret not sticking around longer now.

Confused at 2:25, who exactly got the hit there?
    Between Karen and Roland? Or Roland and Ingo?

In the former, it was Karen, if you look in the slowmotion footage you can see that Roland separates his sword from his buckler which creates an opening to the left side of his face.

In the case of the latter, the side hit from roland is obvious.

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,910 Posts
    In the former, it was Karen, if you look in the slowmotion footage you can see that Roland separates his sword from his buckler which creates an opening to the left side of his face.
    Oh I'm seeing it now. I really couldn't make it out, but now it's clear as day

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    sidesword videos

also here's footage taken from the livestream of swordfish 2015. it should contain most of the finals.

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Really like the flow Ilkka's got going. He's a great fencer.

30. Post #310
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    So my sword is officially broken beyond repair. Turns out the damage on the thread from the pommel is just too severe to be repaired.

However, my tutor, being the guy he is, has given me another longsword.

Along with the words "If you break this one I swear imma kick the everloving shit out of you".

Looking forward to summer. I plan on getting some more horsemanship done and learn some more fencing from horseback.

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    ...You had a threaded tang instead of a peened one?

32. Post #312
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    Yup...

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    I sincerely hope your new longsword has a hot peened tang then.

Threads are for rapierists.

34. Post #314
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    I sincerely hope your new longsword has a hot peened tang then.

Threads are for rapierists.
    It doesn't.

It's another one of those cheap ones from Pakistan I told you about.

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Oh right. Christ sakes m8, get yourself a Pavel Moc already.

36. Post #316
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    I would love to, but I can't afford a new sword. :(

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,643 Posts
    Ok, next week I'm attending my first competition in Uppsala. Swiss style tournament, means no pools but rather you just fight a lot of people and points declare who gets to go to finals. Will be fun! I'll return with the results, no matter how good or bad they are...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #318
    January 2012
    1,557 Posts
    Good luck bro! I believe you can make it quite far if you keep your head cool.

39. Post #319
    Corgi Enthusiast
    June 2009
    1,387 Posts
    Do any of you guys do historical costumes or more general reenactment in addition to the fighting?
    I don't know much about the actual martial arts, but I'm big into the costume and armour part.

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,007 Posts
    Do any of you guys do historical costumes or more general reenactment in addition to the fighting?
    I don't know much about the actual martial arts, but I'm big into the costume and armour part.
    well the sca is very big into historical costumes and armour but the quality hugely varies. i'm very interested in armour, specifically between the 14th and mid 17th centuries in europe. i'm also in the process of making a late 1590s suit.