1. Post #761
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    I'm surprised Tripwire/whoever is making RS2 doesn't at least have the stereotypical straw hat they wear.

At least that playermodel looks like they put effort into it, but it's still pretty bland.

I wonder what the NVA regulars will look like. Not like this I hope.

Also, I forget but; did the RS2 trailer show they were going to have the M113A3? The APC?
    Nope. Only choppers and RPGs.

2. Post #762
    April 2011
    144 Posts
    I'm surprised Tripwire/whoever is making RS2 doesn't at least have the stereotypical straw hat they wear.

I could model one in a couple seconds I imagine. What are they called?
    Yeah, it's kind of surprising that for the headwear for the Viet Cong they showcased a couple of posts up they used... whatever the fuck you'd call this thing...

Think it's supposed to be a pith helmet. Looks more like this guy is the life of the party, opting to wear a lampshade on his head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #763
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2010
    9,410 Posts
    My theory for the helicopters is that they will have predetermined flight paths that vary a bit and players will actual control the guns and stuff and it will be used for begging to territory missions at times as a way of landing in for the first point on some maps.

4. Post #764
    September 2010
    565 Posts
    those hats are called anything from

paddy hat
    rice hat
    bamboo hat
    asian conical hat

all the way down to

that one cone hat thing

theres not really an official name for it so people tend to just go nuts with it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #765
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,800 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 9Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #766
    April 2011
    144 Posts
    Me, I hope to see some flak jackets in RS2.

Something I always wanted to see in RO2 was the implementation of the Soviet "steel-bib", the most common model being the SN-42. Of course, I could understand why it wasn't implemented; when one thinks of World War Two, they usually don't think of body armor (that being said, the SN-42 was the most common example of body armor in the war, if I'm correct).

On the other hand, the Vietnam era flak jacket is something that is relatively commonly portrayed in media, and as such I don't think it'd be unreasonable for it to be featured. Mechanics wise, it should make shrapnel from explosives leave you a little less fucked up. I'd also like to say the same for certain bullets under certain conditions, but I'd imagine said conditions are rather difficult to factor in.

That, and it'd be cool if helmets did something. A small thing, but again, something i'd have liked to see in RO2, even if just in the form of occasionally preventing a shot from a nambu from being your downfall (and of course stopping shrapnel from becoming embedded within your brain, but again, something that is difficult to factor in). Still, hearing that satisfying plink upon shooting someone in the head is a neat little feature.

7. Post #767
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,904 Posts
    Flak jackets weren't that great at protecting someone from bullets. Even pistol caliber bullets could cause extremely serious damage to the wearer

They did help against explosions though, and I think they were relatively common on the field. We'll see.

8. Post #768
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts

The first of our custom weapon models for the British! (made by a friend, implemented by me)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #769
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    4,078 Posts
    What is that even supposed to be? Some sort of grenade/explosive?

10. Post #770
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    It's a stick of dynamite!

Originally we were going to have this version, but there were issues getting it to line up on the animations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #771
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2010
    9,410 Posts
    I just hope Rising Storm 2 doesn't have bullshit like OP knee mortars and banzai charges.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Waterfox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #772
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,784 Posts
    I just hope Rising Storm 2 doesn't have bullshit like OP knee mortars and banzai charges.
    except knee mortars require skill and banzai charges are hardly used because they require coordination n shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #773
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,904 Posts
    hey

did you know that you get the Flamethrower as american
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 9Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #774
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,902 Posts
    I actually really love the assymetrical aspects of Rising Storm like the banzai and the flamethrower. I think it's balanced exceptionally well and makes the game that much more interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #775
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Rising Storm is far more entertaining than Heroes of Stalingrad. Mainly, the totally asymmetric battle styles. The weapon progression in Rising Storm is far less inhibiting/overpowering than Heroes because of how strong the default weapons are, and that the upgrades aren't that "be-all-end-all" like the MG-42 as a reward (which makes no sense in my opinion but that's for a later time).

The weapons like the flamethrower and knee mortar add plenty of tense moments when playing as an attacker, as you have no clue if you're going to rush with your squad down a trench only to be barbecued, or if you'll be blown to smithereens by someone you can't shoot back at.

The static machine-guns in Rising Storm are also far more useful than those in Heroes, as they are put in points that make sense and don't immediately turn you into sniper bait. It does feel more relaxed than Heroes in a realism sense, but the rapid time-to-kill and lack of awareness (in a GUI sense) makes Rising Storm stand out from its predecessor.

So that's why I'm worried about Rising Storm 2 because I doubt Tripwire understands what made Rising Storm fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #776
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    7,491 Posts
    But Tripwire isn't making RS2, the original RS team (Antimatter Games) is while Tripwire focuses on KF2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree x 3Winner x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #777
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    4,078 Posts
    Knee mortars are stupid. They should be removed or americans should get the M7 grenade launcher for lvl 50 garands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #778
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Rising Storm Singapore v1.01 (1/19/16)
    - New map: Saipan
    - Updated British playermodel

Moddb
    Steam Workshop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

19. Post #779
    January 2013
    5,840 Posts
    I personally prefer RO2 over Rising storm, I like the locations more, the weapons and general balance.

But I always love playing as germans in a ww2 game, so yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #780
    August 2011
    1,867 Posts
    I kinda want a Normandy map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #781
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    7,491 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #782
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2010
    9,410 Posts
    I'm not against knee mortar's overall although their are certain situations where someone instantly dives and kills someone only about 30m away which imo is OP. Also they have theoretically infinite ammo on certain maps due to ammo crates. Also I see banzai charges used all the time.

23. Post #783
    Squadron Leader of the United FP Alliance
    November 2010
    3,385 Posts
    Name of server with banzai charges please, a lot of the times I'd start up the game and look for campaign servers with winning Japanese teams, chances are they are using banzai charges to the fullest and I want in on that action.

I rarely see any charges except when people just use it the moment they re spawn just to get back to the front lines again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,902 Posts
    Banzai is criminally underused by people, I've noticed. Not only as a team strategy (lol), but also as a defense tool.
    The defense bonus charging gives you is actually immensely powerful, allowing you to even take vital hits (head, heart, etc.) sometimes without going down.

Hell, for rifle users charging is usually a better sidearm than the Nambu.

Edited:

Most of the time though, if a TL organizes a banzai strat, it's on the final point of Guadalcanal.
    Always have a good time on that map. Sneaking around in the forest is great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #785
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    I'm not against knee mortar's overall although their are certain situations where someone instantly dives and kills someone only about 30m away which imo is OP. Also they have theoretically infinite ammo on certain maps due to ammo crates.
    You could say the exact same thing about the flamethrower.

Both teams have OP shit, but you're right, it's very difficult to make them cancel each other out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #786
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...d.php?t=115944

So apparently the squad system will now work like the squads from Battlefield Bad Company 2, where anyone can make a squad and then personalize it. This actually seems like a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,902 Posts
    That's pretty good to hear. The squad system in RO2 was really awkward in the way it worked.
    It usually ended up making Squads 1 and 2 the most "important" squads, while Squads 3 and 4 were like auxillary troops, with squad 4 having the least amount of soldiers overall.

Dying as SL1 or SL2 is a really big deal, since you have so many people relying on you as a forward spawnpoint. Basically you were supposed to find a good spawning area, and hide there to help your team push up.
    But dying as SL3 or SL4 is not really a huge deal, since your squad is usually relatively small, making it actually more worthwhile to go aggressive as a Squad Leader in those cases, and find kinks in the enemy's line/spot out good artillery positions.

It's a weird system that's only really effective if each SL knows their role as SL#. It looks like they're reworking it pretty hard in RS2, so I look forward to finding out more about it's new functions.

28. Post #788
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,894 Posts

So apparently the squad system will now work like the squads from Battlefield Bad Company 2, where anyone can make a squad and then personalize it. This actually seems like a good idea.
    Sounds more like BF2142's squad system to me actually, where you have access to more SL tools as your squad grows bigger on top of being able personalize squads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #789
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts

Oh my god, finally. The squad system in Red Orchestra 2 was incredibly clunky

30. Post #790
    The Revelation
    July 2011
    3,228 Posts
    Oh my god, finally. The squad system in Red Orchestra 2 was incredibly clunky
    May be clunky, but hell if i like it. A good SL can swing the game a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #791
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    May be clunky, but hell if i like it. A good SL can swing the game a lot.
    I know that, it's just that the system is bizarrely buggy and if you're a great player but are unlucky enough to be SL 3 or 4, consider yourself just a glorified rifleman rather than a crucial mobile spawnpoint and FO for artillery
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #792
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    The guys from In Country actually responded to something for once.

harv posted:
    Sorry for the late reply we've been really busy behind the scenes and we've effectively gone dark until we're at a point we can reveal what we've been working on.
    That is a horrible practice in my opinion. Staying totally silent while completely ignoring everyone and everything is the absolute worst PR thing you can do as an indie dev.

Nobody's expecting them to make a detailed weekly progress report a la Garry, but it'd still be nice to hear something at least once a month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #793
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    More bugfixing and content for IOM

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #794
    August 2008
    1,326 Posts
    Good Morning Vietnam Fans!

(Sorry I had to get that out of my system)

Today we want to give you a look at one of the core game mechanics we have been talking about as well as introduce you to another one. As always keep in mind these are works in progress and subject to change as we iterate with the systems and find out more about what works and what doesn’t.

With that in mind, here are some additional warnings on the topic: In the following WebM you will see a snapshot of a development build with non-final numbers and settings, showcased on an early block-out map that has little-to-no art (and any art you see is most likely placeholder).

What you’ve just seen here are changes we have been experimenting with on how weapons handle with full-auto This includes ironsight misalignment and how the ironsights and weapon behave during recoil which are different from past RO/RS titles. To reiterate: The goal of these systems and experiments is to make sure weapons still feel good in the hands of the player, but encourage a more authentic engagement between sides in a firefight. You may also have seen some other additions we feel fans of the franchise will enjoy.

Another core design goal of the game we’ve been working on can be summed up as:

-One mode of play
    An authentic, immersive tactical shooter
    -One game with some server and client settings - the game should always play the same across servers
    The majority of which we are currently looking at being visual aids
    We feel this will help newer players without diluting the core gameplay experience or jar them from one mode to the next

We are looking to show more details and examples on other core systems as they come online. Right now there is a major focus on UI and Menu work heavily underway.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/4184...70303562851904
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

35. Post #795
    August 2012
    1,011 Posts
    Someone's ragdoll

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Turkey Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #796
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,415 Posts
    Take everything with 2 or 3 servings of the Dead Sea.

Tripwire are shitty when it comes to actually putting out updates in a reasonable amount of time or giving a shit when it comes to what the community says.
    agreed, we've seen nothing like the level/amount of content being delivered in RO1.

but to be fair they've got a lot more on their plate now compared to then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2013
    3,635 Posts
    this game is so immersive tho

im ducking behind some cover and im pinned by some sniper in an apartment building whose position i know 100% and i take a risk and pop my head up and aim at the sniper but i get a bullet to the head instead

38. Post #798
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,266 Posts
    i flanked people on that one swamp map as a flamer and burned down 5 people
    i like to believe i won us the round

39. Post #799
    August 2012
    1,011 Posts
    its hella fun to banzai charge along with your whole team

40. Post #800
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,894 Posts
    Man, it looks so much like a KF2 mod, only because it's most likely the same upgrade UE "3.5" engine they have.

Glad to see they're not doing the arcade mode they had for RO2 and not trying to spread their net too wide in search for players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)