1. Post #521
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    I use Wings 3D myself for symmetric geometry.

2. Post #522
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Blender and 3DS Max / Maya work, but Autodesk software is preferred (a lot of stuff breaks in Blender, such as skeletal meshes, and you can't define smoothing groups that will work in-engine)
    Not necessarily. The Blender importer just breaks bones on import, everything else is just fine.

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,892 Posts
    Not necessarily. The Blender importer just breaks bones on import, everything else is just fine.
    I respectfully disagree. Not when I worked on HoTW at least.
    And exporting is just hell

4. Post #524
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    I dunno man, everything works perfectly fine for me.

To export you just need to have the right settings.

A common mistake is to leave lamps and cameras and junk in the file, that'll mess things up.

5. Post #525
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,655 Posts
    Messed around with the Ha-Go for a bit, pretty cool stuff. Only major problem was it was kinda hard to maneuver because that map obviously wasn't designed with tanks in mind.

Really made me want a Khalkhin Gol tank battle map.

6. Post #526
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Really made me want a Khalkhin Gol tank battle map.
    I actually did stick the Japanese on Arad, worked pretty well.

But the Ha-Go can only be used against infantry. Remember how I was worried that no armor profile = 1 hit kill? Well apparently no armor profile = invincible. As it is right now the Ha-Go can only be damaged by AT grenades and satchels, nothing else.

For Khalkhin Gol I'm thinking of two maps: Gumrak Station and Demyansk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #527
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,892 Posts
    I dunno man, everything works perfectly fine for me.

To export you just need to have the right settings.

A common mistake is to leave lamps and cameras and junk in the file, that'll mess things up.
    I'm not THAT inexperienced. Those are my exact same settings, too... weird

Where'd you get the PSA/PSK plugin? I have one, but I think it might be outdated

8. Post #528
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    For PSK I use ActorX for Max.

EDIT: And it's up!

9. Post #529
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Would it be possible to get the Lunge Mine to work like AT grenades but with a stab?

Idk if that was mentioned before its just one of those early morning ideas

10. Post #530
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    If nobody has anything to talk about I'll just keep posting mods.

It seems photoshopped but that's just a side effect of the ToggleDebugCamera console command.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #531
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Oh fuck yes, transports.

That'd make a Khalkin Gol map much more interesting if you're able to have infantry spawn near nonlethal transport vehicles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #532
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,799 Posts
    I dunno anything about how vehicle damage or ballistics is handled, but it be configured so that engine / wheels are damaged by small arms but the hull is not so it doesn't just explode randomly?

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    If nobody has anything to talk about I'll just keep posting mods.

It seems photoshopped but that's just a side effect of the ToggleDebugCamera console command.
    You got the trucks I was talking about working. What did it take?

14. Post #534
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    I dunno anything about how vehicle damage or ballistics is handled, but it be configured so that engine / wheels are damaged by small arms but the hull is not so it doesn't just explode randomly?
    Armor and hitboxes is the most incredibly difficult and convoluted part of vehicles. I haven't even started trying to figure that out.

You got the trucks I was talking about working. What did it take?
    It's literally just the Universal Carrier but with a different model and seat positions.

That'd make a Khalkin Gol map much more interesting if you're able to have infantry spawn near nonlethal transport vehicles.
    Now that's a good idea. I'll replace the UC with the GAZ, and the Halftrack with the Izusu.

15. Post #535
    April 2011
    143 Posts
    Looking at some of this got me thinking about the Second Sino-Japanese War in video games. The late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in and around China as a whole really get glanced over as far as video games go. Really, it's a great region and time period to focus on as there is so much to work with such as the varied equipment, factions, geography, and so forth. On the other hand, it really makes for a complex time to represent, so I can understand the lack of interest.

Specifically, a Second-Sino Japanese war for Red Orchestra 2 would be bitchin', I could only imagine the fanaticism of a banzai charge being met by the suicide vests of the dare to die corps and dao of the big sword units:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #536
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Me and another fellow are doing a 1937 Shanghai mod, I'm just waiting for him to finish the models.

Although don't get too hyped. As a rule, all ideas don't look as awesome ingame as they were in your head. Like the above GAZ and my Vickers Crossley for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #537
    April 2011
    143 Posts
    Me and another fellow are doing a 1937 Shanghai mod, I'm just waiting for him to finish the models.

Although don't get too hyped. As a rule, all ideas don't look as awesome ingame as they were in your head. Like the above GAZ and my Vickers Crossley for example.
    Very nice, I wish you the best of luck with your mod, it's good to see the time period and location getting some attention. While perhaps not always as awesome ingame, the time period is certainly always interesting to read about.

18. Post #538
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Now that's a good idea. I'll replace the UC with the GAZ, and the Halftrack with the Izusu.
    The main reason for that being you could find a way to have large, plain/steppe-like maps without forcing it to be vehicles only, for it could have those wave on wave fights like Khalkin Gol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Gumrak with infantry anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #540
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,603 Posts
    Would actually have to adjust weapon sights because of the distance. I'd play it

Edited:

Also whats the point of adjustable sights if the fog cuts you off at 200m? Makes it sort of pointless unless there was a way to get rid of fog

21. Post #541
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Well, basically that, yes.

Submachine Guns would also be seen only in the hands of the cream of the crop troops, as it was a lot of non-standard/auxiliary infantry, or basically overhyped garrisons that clashed like mad.

Once we can implement horses...

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    I'd love to try the Shanghai mod when you get it done if you wouldn't mind. I'd do a video on it too.

23. Post #543
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    Arguably one of the big problems with a Shanghai '37 mod would be getting Chinese voice lines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    13,590 Posts
    Surely theres chinese localisation that you could use, from Ro2 or atleast some other game

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    Surely theres chinese localisation that you could use, from Ro2 or atleast some other game
    Didn't he say at one point that the Chinese Localization files only had a music soundtrack or something?

26. Post #546
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Yup. There's a Chinese localization folder and package, but inside is only the G_Elevator_H music track.

And the RO2 community is incredibly anal on using copyrighted content, unlike Gmod. That's really annoying at times.

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,799 Posts
    How realistic is the idea of making usable field guns using the current fixed MGs as a base? I'd imagine most of the work would be animations, as it'd just be a gun that aims slower, fires tank rounds, and has one shot between reloads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #548
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    That'd be really crucial for a Sino-Japanese War or WW1 mod

29. Post #549
    March 2014
    6,511 Posts
    Realistic? Well then, "Destructibility" and maybe limited ammo, I'd say. For balancing I mean. My 2 cents.

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    Have you thought of re-writing the AT grenades for the Lunge mine? They explode instantly on contact and instantly smash any tank so that would work I'd think. How does one write/make the armor profile for tanks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #551
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    How realistic is the idea of making usable field guns using the current fixed MGs as a base?
    That's what I was thinking too. Luckily I don't have to think anymore since some other guys already got it working, including anims:

Have you thought of re-writing the AT grenades for the Lunge mine?
    That was the plan, but then it would still explode when you "threw" it, even if you didn't hit anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #552
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Alrighty, here's a proper release, copypasta from the TW forums thread:

Pacific Armor is a modification for Rising Storm that adds vehicles to the existing maps.

Inspired by the unfinished Type 95 Ha-Go left in the game files, we have fully restored it and brought it back in-game, as well as a plethora of other unused tanks and vehicle supplements!

In the future we plan to add completely brand new content, including:

- M3 Stuart Light Tank
    - M1A1 Bazooka
    - M3 37mm Anti-Tank Emplacement
    - Lunge Mine
    - Multiple skins for the Type 95 Ha-Go, including jungle camouflage
    - Type 4 Ke-Nu

Changelog:

Pacific Armor v1.00 (8/17/15)

- Added Steam Workshop support for easy installation
    - Fixed the tank crew speaking German
    - Added new machine gun model in first person
    - Removed collision from various small map props to make navigation easier

Pacific Armor v0.00 (8/6/15)
    - Initial Release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #553
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    What goes into writing an armor profile or whatever it was again?

34. Post #554
    June 2013
    1,559 Posts
    I'm really out of the loop on mods for RS, but all the servers I see are vanilla. Is there something I'm missing for all this content to just be made and never get utilized?

35. Post #555
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Mods aren't allowed on ranked servers, and nobody ever plays on non-ranked servers because you don't get XP.

36. Post #556
    June 2013
    1,559 Posts
    Mods aren't allowed on ranked servers, and nobody ever plays on non-ranked servers because you don't get XP.
    So... It's kind of fruitless, then?

37. Post #557
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    Not necessarily. I can't speak for other people but I personally make mods for my own enjoyment, and share them because why not.
    If people use them, awesome. If nobody ever touches them, whatever.

I think a part of the problem is that there really is no custom content at all.
    When I first discovered this game it was just IOM and HOTW, absolutely nothing else. And even today there's nothing expect for those two and my own stuff.

Of course it doesn't help that there are literally no tutorials anywhere for anything, so it's near impossible for someone to learn how to mod this game.
    It took me nearly four months of trial and error and pestering other people before I got down even the basics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #558
    June 2013
    1,559 Posts
    Not necessarily. I can't speak for other people but I personally make mods for my own enjoyment, and share them because why not.
    If people use them, awesome. If nobody ever touches them, whatever.

I think a part of the problem is that there really is no custom content at all.
    When I first discovered this game it was just IOM and HOTW, absolutely nothing else. And even today there's nothing expect for those two and my own stuff.

Of course it doesn't help that there are literally no tutorials anywhere for anything, so it's near impossible for someone to learn how to mod this game.
    It took me nearly four months of trial and error and pestering other people before I got down even the basics.
    Wow, congratulations.

Should pick up a job at a software company with programming dedication like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #559
    Gold Member

May 2013
    3,139 Posts
    So me and a few fellows are on a crusade for Rising Storm beta content:

At first I thought they were never released and ultimately a lost cause. However, one of the guys said this:

Scum82 posted:
    The old Green SNLF uniforms were actually in the game for a long time and, with the eventual official release of Betio, they were removed. The early beta versions of Otori Shima had the original green troops in and they did look quite cool, but as soon as the patch preping for Betio came their uniforms also changed, meaning it was something in the actual game stock resources as opposed to something tied to an individual map.
    Same could be said for the American uniforms used on Maggot Hill. They appeared early (along with the static meshes from the map) in Kobura.

Using DepotDownloader I downloaded the earliest available build of the RS/RO Multiplayer, but didn't find anything different.

I tried various SDKs and other apps, but they all had nothing or were not accessible. Unfortunately this also includes the RO2 Beta. It has been removed from everyone's Steam library and made completely unavailable.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,528 Posts
    Is that guy holding the Type 44 Carbine in the picture on the left? I was thinking of making a model of that for Operation Downfall, so if I do you can use that if you wanted to implement it and need a model.