1. Post #1
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/9uiwXY42tvc
    Since we first met, interest in wearables has exploded and today it's one of the most exciting areas in technology. Glass at Work has been growing and we're seeing incredible developments with Glass in the workplace. As we look to the road ahead, we realize that we've outgrown the lab and so we're officially "graduating" from Google[x] to be our own team here at Google. We're thrilled to be moving even more from concept to reality.

As part of this transition, we're closing the Explorer Program so we can focus on what's coming next. January 19 will be the last day to get the Glass Explorer Edition. In the meantime, we're continuing to build for the future, and you'll start to see future versions of Glass when they're ready. (For now, no peeking.)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30831128
    Analysis: Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC technology correspondent
    Google has tried to present this announcement as just another step in the evolution of an amazing innovation. But make no mistake - Google Glass is dead, at least in its present form.

As I found when I spent a couple of months wearing Glass, it has a number of really useful aspects - in particular the camera. There is however one huge disadvantage - it makes its users look daft, and that meant that it was never going to appeal to a wide audience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Starred x 8Funny x 4Dumb x 2Informative x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    There is however one huge disadvantage - it makes its users look daft, and that meant that it was never going to appeal to a wide audience.
    So much development effort could have been saved if somebody did two steps back and realized "well, this looks fucking stupid, tho"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 77Funny Funny x 10Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2014
    3,222 Posts
    At least they made them, it shows it can be done and this wont be the last time we see "smart glasses"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

4. Post #4
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,282 Posts
    Stupid title. Google's just closing the 'open beta' testing they're doing and advancing the project to the next stage. They haven't said anywhere that it's dead or even slowing down; actually, they said the opposite.

The only thing that's "dead" is the ability to buy a prototype for $1,500.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,361 Posts
    The question is, how do you avoid it looking weird? It's always going to look weird having technology on clothes because we're not used to it at all. Unless they manage to make the screen totally unnoticeable, I don't think they can ever make it not look odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,241 Posts
    The main problem with Google Glass is that you don't look like this when wearing them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 80Funny Funny x 6Starred Starred x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    101% Asian
    Dennab
    April 2007
    3,082 Posts
    We must elect Cubeman to revive it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 40Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,617 Posts
    The main problem with Google Glass is that you don't look like this when wearing them.
    You look like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 163Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    6,739 Posts
    This is all I've ever asked for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 37Agree Agree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    -title text-
    December 2009
    1,609 Posts
    Wouldn't you elect someone looking that fucking baller?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,282 Posts
    The question is, how do you avoid it looking weird? It's always going to look weird having technology on clothes because we're not used to it at all. Unless they manage to make the screen totally unnoticeable, I don't think they can ever make it not look odd.
    It's all about societal acceptance. It's inevitable that we'd start attaching machines to ourselves; we just need to give society time to decide that it doesn't "look stupid" for no good reason other than "that's different, stop being different".

I mean hey, what about phones and watches? Watches are machines that we strap to our wrists and are often in plain sight. They're just considered "not stupid" because they're old. Mobile phones have become commonplace, and now it's "okay" to have one out and be tapping away at it in public places. Given some time and wide market availability, I'm sure it eventually would become accepted to have a tiny little computer hanging onto your glasses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    April 2014
    2,728 Posts
    It's all about societal acceptance. It's inevitable that we'd start attaching machines to ourselves;
    That sounds like the beginning of every AI related science fiction ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,346 Posts
    Google Glass is the modern fedora
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 16Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,730 Posts
    It's all about societal acceptance. It's inevitable that we'd start attaching machines to ourselves; we just need to give society time to decide that it doesn't "look stupid" for no good reason other than "that's different, stop being different".

I mean hey, what about phones and watches? Watches are machines that we strap to our wrists and are often in plain sight. They're just considered "not stupid" because they're old. Mobile phones have become commonplace, and now it's "okay" to have one out and be tapping away at it in public places. Given some time and wide market availability, I'm sure it eventually would become accepted to have a tiny little computer hanging onto your glasses.
    I think the main reason why it looks dumb is that it's right on your face. You can't look someone in the eye without noticing it. Watches are a lot subtler in comparison. Its like the difference between an arm tattoo and a face tattoo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,951 Posts
    Go to 0:48
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    10,282 Posts
    I think the main reason why it looks dumb is that it's right on your face. You can't look someone in the eye without noticing it. Watches are a lot subtler in comparison. Its like the difference between an arm tattoo and a face tattoo.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I guess as a sci-fi nerd I'm less weirded out by gadgets on someone's head than someone else who isn't used to such a thing. I still think it could eventually become something that's generally accepted, though.

17. Post #17
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    19,241 Posts
    You look like this:
    Holy shit, it's a fistmagnet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,514 Posts
    When I was at CES Toshiba was working on some similar "glass" tech, augmented reality and stuff. Pretty nice, I think I remember seeing a few other booths showcasing glass tech, Mitsubishi was showing this windshield with a project AR hud.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    7,596 Posts
    People got used to normal glasses as well.

20. Post #20
    "Yeah my dog sleeps near my feet. sometimes i squeeze her with my legs and she farts."
    March 2010
    8,188 Posts
    You look like this:
    That fucking smirk though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,730 Posts
    People got used to normal glasses as well.
    I'm not saying that it will always look dumb. There are plenty of cultures that wear things on their faces that would look strange to most people in other cultures. It will just take longer for people to adjust.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,106 Posts
    To be honest, Wear in general seems to do most of what Glass can do without looking like a dork.

Sorry, Gaboer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,492 Posts
    wish there were helicopter sunglasses you could pop on, if you're going outside you might as well wear glasses.

25. Post #25
    Sexist
    July 2006
    7,714 Posts
    All we need to do to make Google Glass accepted is to make them look cool or invisible.

That's it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,195 Posts
    Cubeman is going to be upset incase the police take his away again as he wont be able to buy another one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,844 Posts
    It could be if you had them drilled into your skull like he did

28. Post #28
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    24,001 Posts
    The thread title has been changed to the article's for clarity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,989 Posts
    Wouldn't you elect someone looking that fucking baller?
    Yes, Jensen 2016
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,888 Posts
    Having them paired with their prescription frames made it look a lot better in my opinion. At least you have glasses vs. having the titanium bar on your head
    To be honest, Wear in general seems to do most of what Glass can do without looking like a dork.

Sorry, Gaboer.
    It's ok ):

31. Post #31
    May 2012
    343 Posts

Sorry, Gaboer.
    yea besides the camera in the glass I can't think of any unique features that wear doesn't have

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,888 Posts
    yea besides the camera in the glass I can't think of any unique features that wear doesn't have
    I mean having the screen projected into your eye is a pretty big unique feature. I feel like I'm able to do quite a few things having the screen on me without having to look down at a wrist or something. Plus that kinda was the entire main point glass was designed anyways, information with just a glance up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Stupid title. Google's just closing the 'open beta' testing they're doing and advancing the project to the next stage. They haven't said anywhere that it's dead or even slowing down; actually, they said the opposite.

The only thing that's "dead" is the ability to buy a prototype for $1,500.
    Google has plans on releasing a second version of the Glass in 2015. Hope it's smaller and sleeker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    24,892 Posts
    People actually bought this thing for casual use, despite it being only for testing purposes.

$1500 for this thing is just ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,325 Posts
    At least they made them, it shows it can be done and this wont be the last time we see "smart glasses"
    No shit, everybody else who developed a glass system is building it as a business compatable hud, google probably realised it around the same time but kept this up for image sake

36. Post #36
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    5,573 Posts
    I can see them try and find a design that can stay upright when held on only one ear and that like, sticks to your face or something. The fundamental flaw in the design is the bar that goes over your eyes, it makes you look like a dumbass wearing eyewear with no glasses on.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    People actually bought this thing for casual use, despite it being only for testing purposes.

$1500 for this thing is just ridiculous.
    Because they are stupid and don't understand what product testing really is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    August 2005
    3,442 Posts
    I'm thinking smart watches are going to take the place Glass was anticipated to take up in the consumer market.

Watches have the 'fitness' angle on their side, and you can forget about it most of the time. Glass is always in your face, either nagging you or just getting in the way. It has some interesting professional use-cases in medical and manufacturing, but it's not great for everyday, recreational use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Well it was sold expensive because rich people always want to be exclusive. They scapegoat the rich for product testing and then release to the consumers cheaper where they'll make actual profits

40. Post #40
    February 2011
    13,131 Posts
    You look like this:
    every god damn thread

it's as if someone out there wants me to remember that face
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)