1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,550 Posts
    meat and potatoes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #282
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,851 Posts
    ??????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,587 Posts
    Probably wrong thread or he is trying to confuse us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,550 Posts
    just had that phrase in my head for ages no idea

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Why are fisheye lenses so fucking expensive?
    Lets evaluate the regular products available on ebay.

We have the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" EF 15mm.

The "Where's your paycheck now??" FD 15mm

The "Korean made somethingsomething that looks passable but you'll have to miss a car payment 8mm EF

....and the "I'm not breaking the bank on this one but all my photos looks like I'm peeking through an asshole" thread-on.

Have fisheyes really never been all that affordable?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,587 Posts
    The Canon are probably better glass. But korean like samyang are good and cheap. I got a 8mm that I paid like 250 dollar or something.

AF is kinda neat but otherwise than better glass I don't see any reason to pay over 300 dollars for a fisheye.
    I probably phrased that wrong.

7. Post #287
    December 2008
    616 Posts
    An old picture by ViktorLA, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,406 Posts
    Why are fisheye lenses so fucking expensive?
    because

use other 2nd hand webstes.

I'm picking up 2 OM-1 bodies and a Zuiko 35mm f/2.8 for a bargain :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,550 Posts
    i got a snapchat last night of a digitalrev reciept for the 8-15mm canon and 6 empty beer bottles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #290
    churboi austin
    Dennab
    October 2007
    14,715 Posts
    They are complex optical designs requiring a lot of elements, and they were never as widely produced as other standard lenses (in the case of the Canon 15mm FD). If you are looking for a cheaper options, the 8mm Samyang f3.5 is quite good, but APS-C only (though not as good as their mirrorless 8mm f2.8, which is one of the best fisheyes you can buy). Samyang made a 12mm full frame fisheye, but the price is a bit higher.

Also consider the Zenit 16mm f2.8, it's fairly cheap and full frame. Can be had in m42 mount to adapt to almost any mount.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #291
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,851 Posts
    Hard to make it fisheye and sharp.

Ultrawides in general are expensive because they have to bend light so much and keep the image sharp.

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Fair enought. I guess I'll look into those other models and see what I can do.

I hope that was in the name of science. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

13. Post #293
    DD's 10 year old
    April 2010
    9,284 Posts
    i didn't pay too much for my samyang 14mm 2.8, and the picture quality is (almost) just as good as canons own L version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,560 Posts
    shot another strong man competition last night, photos soon ~

pumped that the photobros are holding it down in the sea that is GD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    5,976 Posts
    bros 4 lyfe

even tho I was late to the party, starting since june last year :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #296
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,560 Posts
    -parsnip-

dw about when you joined our circles man, all r welcome

Edited:

fine trog, all r welcome if they aren't trashy douches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #297
    Gold Apple
    December 2011
    5,575 Posts
    shot another strong man competition last night, photos soon ~

pumped that the photobros are holding it down in the sea that is GD
    One day we shall return to our promised land....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

18. Post #298
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    5,976 Posts
    ...with cactus ratings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    Sort of wondering if I should have gone for the 60D over the 700D as I'll be using it for photography, not video. Is it worth spilling the extra 100 for it down the line or is the difference not really that noticeable? I like how professional the 60D looks in comparison.

20. Post #300
    churboi austin
    Dennab
    October 2007
    14,715 Posts
    eh not much difference, especially if you already have the camera

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    eh not much difference, especially if you already have the camera
    Yeah.. Watching comparison videos and the image quality has hardly ANY difference when shot in RAW format which is what I'll always be doing. It's really for the aesthetic look I'd be going for as the 60D does look a bit more professional but has a better grip. However, I really like the touchscreen feature on the 700D and it makes changing options a whole lot quicker on the fly. People may like the traditional controls, but touchscreen is where everything will go for DSLRs.

With touchscreen in mind, I guess 70D would have been the viable option but I'd have been paying 225 more for it compared to the cost I got my 700D for, not worth the price for so little difference as you say.

I need to focus on saving for quality lenses to be honest. When I hit a good full time paying job, I'll eventually consider changing the body.

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Finally had the chance to develop and see what that Kodak Pocket Jr. with the fucked bellows was like.

They look okay but no, there's too much damage from light leaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,163 Posts
    I wish my grandfather's old Kodak Brownie box still worked, It's really interesting to see old film exposed to the future.

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    What's wrong with it? Brownies aren't rocket science compared to later cameras.

Also, they take good photos too.

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    Can't decide on a bag to put my camera in.

This would be decent as it can hold a DSLR camera and I would only have to carry my tripod. Only problem is I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing a backpack incase it looks ridiculous on me as i've always used messenger bags :

But this looks more like a typical camera bag, only concern it might be too bulky:

Wouldn't usually overthink this but would like a comfortable carrying experience

26. Post #306
    August 2011
    727 Posts
    Carrying a camera bag kinda tells everybody that there's very likely expensive electronics in there instead of a bottle of water and a book, and they look kinda meh as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    I've always carried a canvas backpack.

Looks like that, but in faded green. I can carry two cameras, a tripod, three lenses, six rolls of film and two spare batteries.

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    Carrying a camera bag kinda tells everybody that there's very likely expensive electronics in there instead of a bottle of water and a book, and they look kinda meh as well
    Eeee, good point. I do plan to do late night photography so I'd rather lessen my chances of getting stabbed

The description of the backpack says "FOR DSLR camera and tablet pc such as ipad 2 ipad 3 ,surface 10 ich ,google nexus tablet pc" but there's no images inside to suggest it will have a "camera bag like compartment" in which would be useful to keep my camera body and lens protected from bashing other stuff.

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,163 Posts
    What's wrong with it? Brownies aren't rocket science compared to later cameras.

Also, they take good photos too.

For starters, it probably hasn't been used for 50+ years. I have no idea how I'd even get film for it.

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,570 Posts
    I've always carried a canvas backpack.

Looks like that, but in faded green. I can carry two cameras, a tripod, three lenses, six rolls of film and two spare batteries.
    How do you keep your stuff seperated like lenses? Does it come with compartments?

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    For starters, it probably hasn't been used for 50+ years. I have no idea how I'd even get film for it.

You're in luck. The #2 uses 120 film. They still make it in black and white and it's about $5-$7 a roll. So long as the shutter works and you have a take-up spool inside still you should be ready to go.

How do you keep your stuff seperated like lenses? Does it come with compartments?
    Nope. They just roll around in the bag. If I want to be particularly careful I keep them in their carrying cases or a carved up pillowcase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    i got a small bag for my camera when I bought it. Its small enough to fit inside my bag, but once I get a second lens, then maybe Ill have to change tactics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

33. Post #313
    churboi austin
    Dennab
    October 2007
    14,715 Posts
    What type of bag is inexpensive, padded, full of compartments, and inconspicuous??

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,163 Posts
    You're in luck. The #2 uses 120 film. They still make it in black and white and it's about $5-$7 a roll. So long as the shutter works and you have a take-up spool inside still you should be ready to go.

I have the spool on the right in the camera. Is that a 120 or 620 spool I have?

35. Post #315
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Finally had the chance to develop and see what that Kodak Pocket Jr. with the fucked bellows was like.

They look okay but no, there's too much damage from light leaks.
    I'll be honest, that seems like it'd be kind of fun to shoot with for the novelty of it. I mean, people already do that sort of thing digitally with instagram, so what's so bad about having a few light leaks in the bellows if it gives it the same sort of artistic quality?

I don't know, I like the way it looks. The physical imperfections in those photographs can't be replicated with modern hardware, and I think that gives it charm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #316
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts

I have the spool on the right in the camera. Is that a 120 or 620 spool I have?
    I have both styles. The wooden dowel spool is in my Pocket Jr and I know for a fact it's 120. Technically the take-up spool (so long as you have it) will do both 120 and 620. It's the spool the film is on that can cause problems. My brownie is designed for 620 and it is recommended you respool your film to a 620 spool but you can still fit a 120 spool at the expense that the winder is a bit stiffer. Because your #2 is designed for 120 film you shouldn't have a problem.
    Remember to ask for your spool back if you are having someone else develop your film.

I'll be honest, that seems like it'd be kind of fun to shoot with for the novelty of it. I mean, people already do that sort of thing digitally with instagram, so what's so bad about having a few light leaks in the bellows if it gives it the same sort of artistic quality?
    If you looked at the full roll you would notice it got worse and worse as I got closer to the end. The last two photos were pretty much unusable.
    It's the fabric paint I used. It filled the pinholes but even dry it sticks to itself so every time I opened the camera the paint would peel itself off the bellows and add more pinholes. Only way I can think of fixing that is dusting on talc powder because I can't take the paint off now. The oly other solution is to replace the bellows completely and nobody seems to sell rebuild kits for the Pocket Jr.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,650 Posts
    my aunt just dug up this old one from my grandpa

no idea if its good or not but Im taking it home. The lens and everything is kind of dusty, whole thing is old as hell anyway

Oh btw he also had one of those old camcorders from sony that still used tape. How much are those worth? Any use it taking it with me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

38. Post #318
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    Do Nikons have an "AF and recompose" mode outside of using the AF-L button? I liked the AF mode on the 10D that focused on a half press and then never again, letting you recompose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,587 Posts
    Do Nikons have an "AF and recompose" mode outside of using the AF-L button? I liked the AF mode on the 10D that focused on a half press and then never again, letting you recompose.
    I guess you're thinking of different AF modes right? I'm not sure if Nikon uses the same names but Canon got: One shot mode which is like you describe, Servo always re-focuses when moving and AI Focus automatically changes between both modes.

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,550 Posts
    Yeah.. Watching comparison videos and the image quality has hardly ANY difference when shot in RAW format which is what I'll always be doing. It's really for the aesthetic look I'd be going for as the 60D does look a bit more professional but has a better grip. However, I really like the touchscreen feature on the 700D and it makes changing options a whole lot quicker on the fly. People may like the traditional controls, but touchscreen is where everything will go for DSLRs.

With touchscreen in mind, I guess 70D would have been the viable option but I'd have been paying 225 more for it compared to the cost I got my 700D for, not worth the price for so little difference as you say.

I need to focus on saving for quality lenses to be honest. When I hit a good full time paying job, I'll eventually consider changing the body.
    hmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)