1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,058 Posts

KSP is a game where you build rockets and airplanes that don't work and makes you realise how dumb you are

links:

Store page:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

Mod databases: (more mods = more ram usage and the game crashes if you use over 3500-ish MB of ram)
    http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal
    http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...lugins-Library
    https://kerbalstuff.com/

Squad is full of retards, for some stupid inexplicable reason they REFUSE to allow steam workshop support for ksp, so here is a program called CKAN that works similar to the workshop
    http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ackage-Manager

CKAN assumes you already know what mods you want to install. Browse for mods using the 3 mod database links above and then search for what looked nice to you in CKAN

Tutorials:

go look for other info about this game yourself, no one reads OP posts in the General Games forum anyways this is all you get
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 10Funny x 9Disagree x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,105 Posts
    meppers for most confusing OP 2015

Edited:

Oh and HarvesteR posted a massive wall of text about the aerodynamics update.

Edited:
    There is a little-known trick to gauge the stability of a spaceplane before flight. Turn on the CoL and CoM overlays in the editor, then grab the root part with the rotate gizmo, and pitch the craft up and down. Note how the CoL shifts as the craft is subjected to airflow from different angles. A stable craft generally is one where the CoL stays behind the CoM at all times, and flips direction when the plane pitches nose down (i.e., pushing the tail down).

Using this trick, one can almost always achieve level flight without too much trial and error, and even if it's not completely right, level flight can be achieved by trimming the craft.

We can't expect people to figure this out, however, so the plan here is to come up with an improved UI for the SPH, where a more useful overlay will display this information for you in a way which will (hopefully) be clear enough to help you construct a decently stable craft without relying on excessive trial and error.
    Fingers crossed for wind tunnel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    I have a dilemma

My mods don't work in x64

But PartCatalog don't work with the new UI in x86

wat do

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,407 Posts
    meppers for most confusing OP 2015

Edited:

Oh and HarvesteR posted a massive wall of text about the aerodynamics update.

Edited:

Fingers crossed for wind tunnel.
    This sounds awesome, can't wait for stock fairings

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    10,816 Posts
    someone care to explain the... banner? for me

6. Post #6
    September 2008
    247 Posts
    Goddammit, /kspg/. I have enough shilling for today.
    If you don't know. In /vg/ KSP thread, some anon in there talk about how this game will continue to fails.
    It's been like that since scraped resources update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Thailand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,349 Posts
    someone care to explain the... banner? for me
    It's a joke about the balance of career mode progression. From the 4chan, yes

8. Post #8
    July 2013
    74 Posts
    It's a joke about the balance of career mode progression. From the 4chan, yes
    Actually it's a dev form world of tanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,349 Posts
    Actually it's a dev form world of tanks.
    With Maxmaps' face pasted over it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    10,614 Posts
    And what about the "system that will punish players".

Do we know what that system is exactly?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,349 Posts
    It's a joke about the balance of career mode progression.
    Namely how it starts off at its most difficult and becomes less aggravating as you unlock new capabilities. It is not a very serious joke.

In any event, and speaking of which, it's nice that Ted is taking feedback on his balance pass. I should write something up for him, I got opinions.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,080 Posts
    I have a dilemma

My mods don't work in x64

But PartCatalog don't work with the new UI in x86

wat do
    Uh, PartCatalog is basically worthless since that functionality is now Stock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    10,037 Posts
    Namely how it starts off at its most difficult and becomes less aggravating as you unlock new capabilities. It is not a very serious joke.

In any event, and speaking of which, it's nice that Ted is taking feedback on his balance pass. I should write something up for him, I got opinions.
    Those are dangerous, those are!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    Uh, PartCatalog is basically worthless since that functionality is now Stock.
    I'm a bit confused though, are you supposed to sort your own catalog with the stock catalog interface or they're sorted on their own like PartCatalog?

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    1,002 Posts
    After a terrible mishap with naming my vehicles, I started using this site to name my shit and I'm pleased to announce that I will soon be launching the Piloted Interstellar Science Sattelite, or PISS for short.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,486 Posts
    I was trying out the Star Systems mod and on my first launch Jeb glitched and his orbit changed to the black hole.

He got sucked in

RIP you glorious bastard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2009
    308 Posts
    So I unlocked some of the heavier rockets and fuel tanks, and decided that I would embark on my first interplanetary flight. I manage to insert myself into orbit around Kerbol, and after several orbits and some fiddling with the maneuver nodes, I find an orbit that takes me on a quick flyby of Eve. It wasn't a very close flyby, but much satisfactory science was done, and I start to plot a course back to Kerbin so that I can cash out my research and unlock more stuff. I actually manage to rendezvous with Kerbin relatively quickly, and the tanks still have plenty of fuel to begin the reentry process.

Things are going smoothly until around 35 kilometers when I go to jettison the final stage so that I can deploy the landing chutes. At this moment, I suddenly realize that I didn't put a fucking decoupler on the last stage. There's still a little bit of fuel left for the Poodler, so I hatch a desperate plan to save my science payload and five years of flight time with an improvised parachute-assisted powered landing. Success! I manage to set the rocket down at a gentle 4 m/s and cut the engines.

So of course the fucking rocket almost immediately falls over and explodes anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    I wonder if anyone has ever built anything with those super big plasma engine in the latest B9 pack

they look too big and intimidating to be tempered with

19. Post #19
    $1 Title to make me look important
    October 2005
    1,537 Posts
    So I unlocked some of the heavier rockets and fuel tanks, and decided that I would embark on my first interplanetary flight. I manage to insert myself into orbit around Kerbol, and after several orbits and some fiddling with the maneuver nodes, I find an orbit that takes me on a quick flyby of Eve. It wasn't a very close flyby, but much satisfactory science was done, and I start to plot a course back to Kerbin so that I can cash out my research and unlock more stuff. I actually manage to rendezvous with Kerbin relatively quickly, and the tanks still have plenty of fuel to begin the reentry process.

Things are going smoothly until around 35 kilometers when I go to jettison the final stage so that I can deploy the landing chutes. At this moment, I suddenly realize that I didn't put a fucking decoupler on the last stage. There's still a little bit of fuel left for the Poodler, so I hatch a desperate plan to save my science payload and five years of flight time with an improvised parachute-assisted powered landing. Success! I manage to set the rocket down at a gentle 4 m/s and cut the engines.

So of course the fucking rocket almost immediately falls over and explodes anyways.
    If the situation comes up again, try landing in water, and then as soon as you touch down, click recover vessel in the top of the screen (before it falls over)
    It's a bit cheaty, but it has worked for me

20. Post #20

(Used to ban users for shit posts)

July 2009
    14,206 Posts
    Started playing again after taking over a years long hiatus. I found some old images that inspired me to get back to it. April 2013 was the last time I played, and this was the last thing I did. Some people here might remember it.

No mods, no experience. I have no idea how the hell I managed to get shit off the ground, let alone into orbit. I probably had dozens of failed attempts. But I want to do it again, and make it bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    $1 Title to make me look important
    October 2005
    1,537 Posts
    Are there any mods out there that dials down the research gain for missions on kerbin?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,876 Posts
    Making a space shuttle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,063 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,578 Posts
    This is quite possibly my most successful plane. It owns. (Uses FAR)

The unusual engine configuration probably helps, but it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Fast, maneuverable and doesn't explode when I do a 3 bank. 2.8 or something TWR, too, for them nice 90 climbs.

I'll probably try making it into an SSTO. I love it.

Bonus planform because I like this plane a lot

I needed a plane to do some contracts with and god damn this can do it all for 42k funds. Fast, slow, high or low. Baby can cruise at Mach 4 or chill out at 100m/s (which is what I needed to do for a contract - at 10,000m).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,080 Posts
    Do you use all of the engines at once?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,996 Posts
    I've began developing on a VTOL jet using stock parts that actually resembles the real life Harrier Jump Jet in some way.
    The only issues I have is that:
    1) When the VTOL rockets runs out of fuel, the plane does not get enough thrust even from the jet. (changing the jet to another doesn't help)

2) Once I activated the VTOL rockets, I can't turn them off. (I know this is part of the game but it's pretty annoying since I only needed one engine to be operating at a time.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    I like making gunship for reason

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    10,816 Posts
    does the lazor mod or whatever still have the option of increasing the load distance from other ships? I remember that you could edit it to like huge distances (i.e. being able to fly two planes 100km from eachother)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    812 Posts
    I wonder if anyone has ever built anything with those super big plasma engine in the latest B9 pack

they look too big and intimidating to be tempered with

It was only possible to fly with infinite fuel and invincible parts/space center. These parts are actually too heavy to get into orbit in any way that is worthwhile, and are definitely not worth it in career mode considering the amount of superheavy rockets needed to launch even an empty fuel tank into orbit.

30. Post #30

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,578 Posts

It was only possible to fly with infinite fuel and invincible parts/space center. These parts are actually too heavy to get into orbit in any way that is worthwhile, and are definitely not worth it in career mode considering the amount of superheavy rockets needed to launch even an empty fuel tank into orbit.
    maybe he meant them for using EPL / MKS+EPL?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,876 Posts
    There needs to be a mod that extends the z axis of the center of thrust marker so you can pass it easier through your center of mass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    May 2013
    356 Posts
    I've began developing on a VTOL jet using stock parts that actually resembles the real life Harrier Jump Jet in some way.
    The only issues I have is that:
    1) When the VTOL rockets runs out of fuel, the plane does not get enough thrust even from the jet. (changing the jet to another doesn't help)

2) Once I activated the VTOL rockets, I can't turn them off. (I know this is part of the game but it's pretty annoying since I only needed one engine to be operating at a time.
    Are you not using action groups to activate and deactivate the VTOL engines?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,996 Posts
    Are you not using action groups to activate and deactivate the VTOL engines?
    I'm pretty much a noob at this game since I haven't played it in quite some time and the only way I know how to activate engines is by starting another stage.

Heck, I'm still not used to the full mechanics of the game yet. I only got one satellite orbiting Kerbin and it's a weird orbit with the satellite sometimes being further away from Kerbin.

34. Post #34
    May 2013
    356 Posts
    I'm pretty much a noob at this game since I haven't played it in quite some time and the only way I know how to activate engines is by starting another stage.

Heck, I'm still not used to the full mechanics of the game yet. I only got one satellite orbiting Kerbin and it's a weird orbit with the satellite sometimes being further away from Kerbin.
    Ah, ok then, action groups are what you're looking for in that case. Just click on the action groups tab above the parts list, then one of the buttons that appear corresponding to which key you want to press. Then you can click a part (the engines, in this case) to include in the action group and select which action you want it to do (toggling on and off).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,428 Posts
    There needs to be a mod that extends the z axis of the center of thrust marker so you can pass it easier through your center of mass.
    make it a kilometer long, never misalign again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,486 Posts
    Posted in LMAO pics

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    Has anyone been able to get Astronomer's pack working for .90?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    4,456 Posts
    Something was attempted

Edited:

Also flies like shit, scratch that attempt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    front vert stabilizers will do that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    4,456 Posts
    Also, do i remember correctly, to somewhere previously having read about someone who posted something about B9 planning (if not already having done it) to incorporate procedural wings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)