1. Post #2881
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    Uh no. No PC game looks that good yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #2882
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    4,014 Posts
    Uh no. No PC game looks that good yet.
    Its pointless to have said this to you people. You would never realize that they are still 6+ year old in their hardware (ps4, xbone.)

The newest Unreal Tournament (pc only) looks that good. But is still in dev.

Star Citizen does also.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #2883
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    Not really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

4. Post #2884
    Certified Witch - Action Girl Department
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    Its pointless to have said this to you people. You would never realize that they are still 6+ year old in their hardware (ps4, xbone.)

Star Citizen does also.
    The fact Unreal Tournament 4 is on PC doesn't automatically mean it'll look better than Unreal Tournament 4 on consoles, it just means they CAN make it look graphically better on PC due to the shinier and better hardware specs available to PC users. But it's not a given just because it is on PC.

If Halo 2 Anniversary were ported or made for PC, it would not automatically look like as good as the cinematics. It could look SIMILAR, but they would have to put a bunch of more work to improve it just for the PC port. Porting it over doesn't automatically improve it graphically whatsoever, they'd have to put extra work in to do that.

you're assuming that if Halo 2 Anniversary were developed for PC from the start it would automatically look as good as those games by default, which is not a given because one would have to put work in to do that, work that wouldn't be any easier just because they're developing for PC (other than the better hardware available).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #2885
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    Well this started when someone said if it was made on PC it would look as good as the rendered cutscenes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events

6. Post #2886
    Certified Witch - Action Girl Department
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts
    I know this and I'm saying that is not the case, I'm saying just because it's made on PC doesn't mean it will look as good as the cinematics. It has a higher chance of looking similar because of the beefier hardware specs but that doesn't mean it WILL just because it's on PC. That's a fallacy in assuming better specs = better graphics by default, automatically. No, you have to put work down in order to take advantage of those specs, and MUCH more work to make it look as good as the cinematics -- work that 343 and the rest of the remake developers probably wouldn't have time for if they were making on PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #2887
    I wish I had a tentacle hand. Japan would pay billions for some real-life tentacles.
    February 2009
    5,210 Posts
    Considering how long it has taken them to render those cutscenes on rendering farms, I'd say you're grossly overestimating the power of consumer grade gaming PC's that don't cost >$2k.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #2888
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    Considering how long it has taken them to render those cutscenes on rendering farms, I'd say you're grossly overestimating the power of consumer grade gaming PC's that don't cost >$2k.
    Yeah sure but that's because of how they handle lighting when it comes to rendering. You can cheat your way to similar results in game engines.

I'm not saying we could get something that would look like the H2A cinematics but this demo proves we're pretty damn close.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #2889
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    ^and before anyone goes "but that's just a scripted demo and they only have to worry about what the camera sees," well, the scene is available for free and you can actually disconnect the camera and explore the entire environment. All the wildlife in the demo are AI driven as well. They automatically flee from the camera.

I'm damn certain something at least comparable to Blur's cutscenes would achievable on PC. The real question is, what would be the fucking point? H2A could have benefitted from some nicer materials and maybe (PROPER) motion blur to make meleeing enemies look extra viscious, but god damn it the game doesn't not look good as it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #2890
    January 2013
    753 Posts
    Out of curiosity, how long did it take them to render the cutscenes on rendering-specialized computers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Brazil Show Events

11. Post #2891
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    prolly days per shot. maybe a day a shot. That's not taking into account the massive color correction/ compositing stuff that goes on afterwards too.

You can kinda tell that they were hurting for time though because some shots were rendered at low enough sample rates for noise to be visible. Then again, they were rendering for 1080p which is a lower resolution than is typically aimed for as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #2892
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    ^and before anyone goes "but that's just a scripted demo and they only have to worry about what the camera sees," well, the scene is available for free and you can actually disconnect the camera and explore the entire environment. All the wildlife in the demo are AI driven as well. They automatically flee from the camera.

I'm damn certain something at least comparable to Blur's cutscenes would achievable on PC. The real question is, what would be the fucking point? H2A could have benefitted from some nicer materials and maybe (PROPER) motion blur to make meleeing enemies look extra viscious, but god damn it the game doesn't not look good as it is.
    It is? Where can I get it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #2893
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    Download the UE4 launcher, go to Learn, and it should be under engine feature samples. The built runtime demo is 5.4 gigs and is currently taking me 20 minutes to download.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #2894
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    2,242 Posts

Star Citizen does also.
    it doesn't even make sense. if they originally intended it to be on the PC I almost guarentee it won't look any better than it does now. they're still using old software on the anniversary edition, they would have to completely rewrite the engine (or somehow migrate their newer engines) to allow the game to utilize more powerful hardware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events

15. Post #2895
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    Whats interesting is that 'Classic' Halo 2 when you switch is running at 1080p. It isn't upscaled like Anniversary mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #2896
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    Isn't that precisely why H2A campaign is upscaled? Not enough Vram (or whatever the resource is) to manage both at full res?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events

17. Post #2897
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    That seems likely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events

18. Post #2898
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    What they achieved with the instant switching is pretty remarkable. Dunno about you guys but I took great joy in just switching between the two versions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #2899
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    21,950 Posts
    i noticed steven speilberg is at E3

and not only that but he's wearing a special badge

is he showin off some halo stuff at E3? he's makin some halo stuff afterall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #2900
    I'm so Jewish you can suck my nuts.
    April 2009
    8,867 Posts
    What they achieved with the instant switching is pretty remarkable. Dunno about you guys but I took great joy in just switching between the two versions.
    I wish the cutscenes were also 1:1 and in engine instead of prerendered JJ Abrams movies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Firefox Taiwan Show Events

21. Post #2901
    OMG HALO REACH IM GONNA CUM
    December 2006
    16,648 Posts
    i noticed steven speilberg is at E3

and not only that but he's wearing a special badge

is he showin off some halo stuff at E3? he's makin some halo stuff afterall.
    reddit noticed

and its from the Halo Hololens demo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

22. Post #2902
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,889 Posts
    Hey can anyone tell me what the population of Halo 3 is like on Xbox 360? I don't have an Xbone (not that it would be any better on that matchmaking wise), and I'd like to try to play it again but I don't wanna be stuck scrambling for a match
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

23. Post #2903
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,731 Posts
    Hey can anyone tell me what the population of Halo 3 is like on Xbox 360? I don't have an Xbone (not that it would be any better on that matchmaking wise), and I'd like to try to play it again but I don't wanna be stuck scrambling for a match
    Last time I loaded it up there was barely over 1000 players on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #2904
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,433 Posts
    man i hope they have a beta for warzone
    i miss halo 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #2905
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    I wish the cutscenes were also 1:1 and in engine instead of prerendered JJ Abrams movies
    This, I can't condone. Good work was done. Really fucking good work was done. A litle nostalgic bias is fine, but nothing they did warrants an insult.

Does anyone have a decent collection of Halo 3 custom maps/ gamemodes on MCC? I've been itching for some 2008 to come back.

We should schedule some shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #2906
    Gold Member

August 2011
    4,361 Posts
    I thought the pre-rendered cutscenes in halo 2A were often truer to the original game's art than the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

27. Post #2907
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,731 Posts
    Does anyone have a decent collection of Halo 3 custom maps/ gamemodes on MCC? I've been itching for some 2008 to come back.

We should schedule some shit.
    I'm totally up for that but all my cool maps are on the 360
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

28. Post #2908
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    The H2A cutscenes look like they referenced all of Craig Mullins's promotional art for Halo 2. The desaturated color pallet and high contrast values are definitely pulled from his work.

Holy shit, is that grunt blood in the cracks of the floor? That's fucking awesome.

Either that, or they're glowing blue circuits. If that's the case then all I can do is laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

29. Post #2909
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,963 Posts
    They should put the 360 Emulator on Windows 10

Edited:

Fall of Reach Animated Series?

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/so...ited-editions/

Edited:

They changed the Plasma Sword model

Edited:

Clueless Gamer Halo 5

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-g...3QiLCJpZCI6Mn0

I didn't see any kill cams, and the endgame animations seem to have been toned down from the Beta.

Are you sure that's not the same model only with a different texture?

is it me, or does that spartan armour look even more plastic than it did in Halo 4?

Mark V armour best armour. (though some of the permutations in reach looked pretty dumb)
    better then this:

The changes to Cheif's armor is likely a mix of retcon and Cortana mods, cutscenes in Halo 4 corroborate this.

Secondly, the seemingly magical nature of forerunner tech is an established thing. How does the Halo array know to only kill sentient life? How does a crystallized needle read the users mind to home in on targets? Remember last year when people were bitching about 343 making the forerunners seem less mysterious? I do.

There's no reason why everything of forerunner construction needs to look exactly the same; this has already been established with Storm elites looking so different than standard covenant elites and post covenant elites. Humanity sure isn't homogenous, Elites aren't either; why should the forerunners be?

I also don't think needing forerunners, humans etc to create Prometheans is a design flaw, rather its an intentional choice. Why go gathering all the raw materials to create a sentient warrior robot when you can just convert your existing armies or slipspace jump and harvest an entire planet?
    I don't think you understand anything about a unified art style.

In Halo Humans were always blocky, covenant always smooth and Forerunners were triangular and circular.

We have invented heat seeking bullets (Are they heat seeking? I now they can alter their path) who's to say Aliens couldn't? That's not ~magical~

Magic? I would say the drastic redesign of chief's armour during cryosleep (no amount of nanites can accomplish that. The 3d hardlight that doesn't need projectors (That Cortana bit at the end) the silly amount of switches that disintegrate when you touch them (what the fuck is the point in that?). Forerunner weapons causing stylized disintegration regardless of the enemy despite the ascribed technology being something that doesn't do that. (saying hard light causes the entire body to disintegrate is like saying that microwave ovens turn you into a supermutant. Also, this disintegration only happens when the weapon knows it's giving the killing blow; Magic.)

Also, I loved the mechanics of the railgun, but it really wasn't a railgun seeing how as it's a grenade launcher that you need to charge, rather than an anti-material weapon that fires all-metal projectiles through magnetism.

Also, The prometheans don't conform to the previously established norm for forerunner artifacts. Sure, they could be from a different era, but it's still rather strange. The prometheans are smooth and curved where the forerunners were straight and angular. Also; Flaming skull heads, and the fact that you need to turn a person into a promethean. You can't just copy and paste the Prometheans provided you have the raw materials, which is a really stupid and improbable design flaw.

On the otherhand, the only thing bungie did that went close to this territory was slipspace travel and teleportation. Both pretty modest. They tended to insert detailed writings on how their things could work too. They were pretty good. Energy weapons and simple light bridges with clear emitters are fairly solid stuff.

Don't forget that Forerunner stuff has always been straight and angular since you see Forerunner ruins in Halo 2

You can ignore the explanation they give you and just go with "different artist" just like you can with the bungie halo games.
    Speaking of retcon, if Truth and Master Chief arrived on earth at the same time in halo 3, how long was the chief asleep for Truth to have evaporated a lake and dug a massive hole?

Nuclear missiles (and radiation) weren't designed to ignore plants, plants were designed(adapted) to ignore radiation. So no, targetting just sentient life is not possible with modern tech.

According to the lore, the needles have no tracking tech inside them, they just somehow spot and gravitate towards living tissue that happens to be on the opposite team somehow.

Just like skirmishers, right?

Maybe because the humans and forerunners were at war and it was easier to just recycle their enemies into death bots to fight their former allies?
    If you played Halo 3: ODST (which I'm assuming you didn't) you'd know they started digging when the ship jumped to slip space.

Also Skirmishers still look like birds so you're wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #2910
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    8,838 Posts
    They changed the Plasma Sword model
    Plasma Sword? I thought this was Halo, not Warframe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #2911
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,102 Posts
    So ElDewrito is a topic that I haven't seen discussed in a while.

Progress is coming along great on it. We've refactored pretty much the whole thing for more speed/efficiency, added an ingame chat UI (and moved commands to use said ingame chat with the /command system like Minecraft and other games), written a working master server with secure stats (you're able to hack your own stats if you do choose, but you absolutely cannot mod other peoples) that also theoretically supports banning by UID (think like a VAC ban), we're about to have basic model extraction soon (we've figured out exactly how the model format actually works), figured out how to get real fullscreen mode (H:O previously ran as Windowed noborder) which should boost FPS all across the board, and a whole lot more exciting backend changes. It's finally coming around to being a whole lot more of a feature complete experience.

I feel that when all these changes go public, ElDewrito should get a fairly large spike in player counts due to there being some persistence (with the stats and things), a way to connect to servers without external programs, and a way to talk to the randoms you meet in-game in that same game session, again without any external programs. It's really quite awesome, and even if MCC really does wind up coming to PC, ElDewrito will still be it's own unique experience. Hopefully also at some point we can start porting new H:O content (Elites, the needle rifle, and whatever else they end up adding) and make ElDewrito even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2912
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,284 Posts
    Last time I loaded it up there was barely over 1000 players on.
    This week there was around ~260 players, mostly on East Coast US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome United States Show Events

33. Post #2913
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,536 Posts
    So ElDewrito is a topic that I haven't seen discussed in a while.

Progress is coming along great on it. We've refactored pretty much the whole thing for more speed/efficiency, added an ingame chat UI (and moved commands to use said ingame chat with the /command system like Minecraft and other games), written a working master server with secure stats (you're able to hack your own stats if you do choose, but you absolutely cannot mod other peoples) that also theoretically supports banning by UID (think like a VAC ban), we're about to have basic model extraction soon (we've figured out exactly how the model format actually works), figured out how to get real fullscreen mode (H:O previously ran as Windowed noborder) which should boost FPS all across the board, and a whole lot more exciting backend changes. It's finally coming around to being a whole lot more of a feature complete experience.

I feel that when all these changes go public, ElDewrito should get a fairly large spike in player counts due to there being some persistence (with the stats and things), a way to connect to servers without external programs, and a way to talk to the randoms you meet in-game in that same game session, again without any external programs. It's really quite awesome, and even if MCC really does wind up coming to PC, ElDewrito will still be it's own unique experience.
    So, its two years before whoever is working on the server browser finishes it now? Also, did you guys get forge on the other maps/added phased objects?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2914
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,102 Posts
    So, its two years before whoever is working on the server browser finishes it now? Also, did you guys get forge on the other maps/added phased objects?
    The master server and things are being worked on by some of the OracleNet/Alligo guys, Emoose, and a few others. It's also virtually done at this point.

Forge on the other maps is basically done, but Gamecheat13 apparently still has to finish up a few things (or he has been claiming this for weeks so take it with a grain of salt ) and then it will be done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events

35. Post #2915
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,401 Posts
    I think the plan is to use a different server browser which is being worked on now; because darkcode is sorta busy with real life stuff and we still need a browser.

also in terms of forge, gamecheat apparently did that stuff but he hasnt shown up in a while and he also still hasn't posted anything yet
    oops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #2916
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    Well that's certainly better news than I was expecting. From looking at the IRC (or what remained of it before it was shut down) you'd think that the project was just crumbling. Nice to see it's not.

Also, I don't get why Gamecheat's saying stuff and not backing it up with action. It'd be nice if he spoke up and provided some transparency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2917
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,057 Posts
    Reminder it is the 22nd, so launch a level in ODST and get your free Chivo.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #2918
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,102 Posts
    Halo: Online model extraction is here!
    https://gitlab.com/ElDewrito/HaloOnl...12cb79065f9a59

Currently just extracts to .obj. Will in the future support either 3ds/dae to preserve all the model data that exists, also partly for reimportation of models whenever that is possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

39. Post #2919
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    But when will we be able to replace models? That's where the good shit is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events

40. Post #2920
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,536 Posts
    Or add models
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)