Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #362
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,976 Posts
    I don't see vbsp running in the log.
    Fixed, a prop_static was leaked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #363
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,666 Posts
    Fixed, a prop_static was leaked
    Told you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #364

January 2014
    72 Posts

Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,159 Posts
    i think you should use a different window texture that has frames (there's a good window texture in L4D that you could use), but besides that, it's looking pretty decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    479 Posts
    -snip-

Thoughts?
    Do something like this to add more depth to the building (Don't mind the sloppy brushes).

Now for something else, smoke! Another edited texture to match the mood of the map.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #367

July 2012
    26 Posts
    In order to familiarize myself with Hammer I decided to try recreating the so called Judith Mountain Cabin in it as best as I could.

Everything bar the floor (and other entity brushes) is a func_detail.

Lighting is only temporary. And I will not fully devote time to that until the lower floor is done as well as the rough environment. You can also see those bleeding shadows around where the beams connect to the wall. I guess I need to adjust LightmapScaling on those faces for that.

I do think I screwed up the sense of scale and measure though. No one (well, at least no model of standard height) can reach those shelves without support.

All glass is breakable, and the windows can even be opened individually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    168 Posts
    Thoughts?
    The statue is floating, you can see it in the picture.
    The buildings are blocky.
    That flag seems out of place, something about it.
    The road looks good.

In order to familiari...
    I'd probably change the exterior roof and wall textures, they look a bit off, same for the door model.
    The interior looks great. The difference of quality between the exterior and interior textures is probably what bothers me the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

9. Post #369

July 2012
    26 Posts
    I'd probably change the exterior roof and wall textures, they look a bit off, same for the door model.
    The interior looks great. The difference of quality between the exterior and interior textures is probably what bothers me the most.
    I will look to find better textures. The door isn't a model however, it's made of several brushes. Which parts of the exterior specifically do you mean? I agree that the rockwall is too low res, same for the railing. The outer texture for the door could be lighter in color. But the wooden beams outside seem alright to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    168 Posts
    I agree about the door, It doesn't have to match the wooden beams exactly but I'd personally find a different (lighter?) brown.

The same for these textures. I think the map would benefit if you changed them because they look lower res than the rest, just that.

The brushwork looks amazing by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    August 2014
    47 Posts
    Decided to mess around with shadowing a little in CS:GO. Not really a playable area, but I'm trying to make things look nice. (i.e.: lowering the lightmap grid)

It comes out a little dark in screenshots, but it's about what I wanted when I made it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    May 2011
    5,666 Posts
    Decided to mess around with shadowing a little in CS:GO. Not really a playable area, but I'm trying to make things look nice. (i.e.: lowering the lightmap grid)
    (pics)
    It comes out a little dark in screenshots, but it's about what I wanted when I made it.
    if you are planning on doing anything with it, keep in mind it bolsters file size immensely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #373
    August 2014
    47 Posts
    if you are planning on doing anything with it, keep in mind it bolsters file size immensely.
    Agreed, but between actual mapping I like making stuff with obnoxiously small lightmap grids for as far as vrad will allow it.

It's fun in small doses, but alas, unachievable in larger projects. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    4,150 Posts
    Just a corridor, took longer than I would have liked though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

15. Post #375
    April 2014
    116 Posts
    CT spawn and B site of a castle-themed CSGO map im working on

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    April 2014
    51 Posts
    Holy Jesus!
    This guy fakes pbr into source, modifies valve's lightmap shader to support multiblend with bumpmapping and also gets parralax mapping to work correctly.

http://www.interlopers.net/forum/vie...507843#p507843

After almost 11 years since source got released we finally got a shader artist who can fight the uglyness of this engine. Hooray!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #377
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts
    After almost 11 years since source got released we finally got a shader artist who can fight the uglyness of this engine. Hooray!
    Because any self-respecting shader artist wouldn't want to touch source's shaders with a 50ft barge pole

Nice to see this place hasn't changed much in the last few years. It's nice to pop in every now and then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,352 Posts
    Because any self-respecting shader artist wouldn't want to touch source's shaders with a 50ft barge pole

Nice to see this place hasn't changed much in the last few years. It's nice to pop in every now and then.
    I don't know enough about the engine to know why, but it sounds... Pretty plausible. Can you elaborate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts
    I don't know enough about the engine to know why, but it sounds... Pretty plausible. Can you elaborate?
    I meant it in the sense that there's all the cool new fancy engines with hundreds of other stuff you can make.

However, in all honesty - I haven't a clue and was merely basing it on the fact that Source's shaders look like ass, and the guys who wrote them in the first place knew them inside out.

And that model-based lighting in source isn't great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #380
    December 2013
    271 Posts

Edit: Oh yay, no humor on this board
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb x 15Funny x 2Useful x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    May 2011
    5,666 Posts
    So like, foliage n stuff

I need grass clumps. Anyone got any grass clump models?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

22. Post #382
    April 2009
    330 Posts
    I've decided to revisit one of my old maps, after some optimization that decreased the compile time by 90%, this came out of it.

Any ideas how to fill the empty space? I've searched through the props but didn't find anything that would fit.. All suggestions are welcome, hell if you send me a bacon and eggs model I'll put it somewhere . I'm that desperate..

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,352 Posts
    Some of those Combine console dealios back to back in the center? Or, for that big bright room, a shaft in the middle that goes on upwards and downwards as well, with energy beams or those weird, transparent tubes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    I've decided to revisit one of my old maps, after some optimization that decreased the compile time by 90%, this came out of it.

Any ideas how to fill the empty space? I've searched through the props but didn't find anything that would fit.. All suggestions are welcome, hell if you send me a bacon and eggs model I'll put it somewhere . I'm that desperate..

*Bunch of maps*
    I think you have a bit too much fog it kind of break the atmosphere ( imo )
    Work a bit on the lighting, try to cast some shadows or something.

For space, try to add wires and bits from the ceiling. that might do the trick.
    Or just look at some actual maps from Hl2. you might find some more ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    December 2011
    1,288 Posts

Who doesn't like generic buildings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,445 Posts

Edit: Oh yay, no humor on this board
    Where's the humor? I think humor is great when it exists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    I've been thinking about redoing some old maps for my Mod.
    Which do you like the most?
    Since I changed plans a couple of time, I though about reconsidering an old map which changed during the course.

You start there:

Vote agree for this

Vote Disagree for this

Note, I will be remaking the entire map from scratch since i lost most of the contents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #388
    November 2009
    253 Posts
    Massive shit tonne of spooky alien corridors. =
    I think in the corridors try and add some depth with tubes and metal grates with almost a service tunnel look on the roof and floor. Might want to also with some rooms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    479 Posts
    I implemented 3d skybox into my map, at the moment it is very barren and lacks a lot of detail that I want to put in.

And the towers are nearing their final shape, still to do is inside area(s), the very top of the towers and detail on the outside.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,729 Posts
    would compile but I'm not quite satisfied with my lighting and cc quite yet, but the forest has been filling out quite nicely.

upper part:

lower:

and I've also been working on some neat or interesting little things/secrets scattered around the forest to stumble upon.

if anyone has suggestions for things to add, be it hidden things/secrets or in general, please let me know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #391
    May 2011
    5,666 Posts
    would compile but I'm not quite satisfied with my lighting and cc quite yet, but the forest has been filling out quite nicely.

(images)

if anyone has suggestions for things to add, be it hidden things/secrets or in general, please let me know.
    Do you want the pine trees I ported from ryse? They might look better. And they have 3 lods.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    April 2009
    330 Posts
    I have more spooky alien corridors! Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

33. Post #393
    May 2011
    5,666 Posts

Atmosphere and lighting are really really good. My only complaint is your texture alignment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Looks pretty good.
    Why are you using as much fog? can you reduce the opacity?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    April 2009
    330 Posts
    Looks pretty good.
    Why are you using as much fog? can you reduce the opacity?
    Personally I think the fog adds a bit to the ambiance., but sure, I'll decrease the opacity in my next update and well see if it was for the better or for the worse. Stay tuned :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Slovenia Show Events

36. Post #396
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,714 Posts

Gas station.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,998 Posts

Cool, I was working on a map with a pretty similar theme about a year ago. It was post-apocalyptic though so some of it's a little irrelevant, but right away;
    Reduce those trees. By a lot. They'll cause a ton of lag ingame, especially on older computers, and it'll look repetitive and ugly to the trained eye. That's disregarding the lighting - a solid carpet of trees will make the ground pitch black unless you compile with -textureshadows (and with that many trees, that'll take a while), or you disable shadows on all of them. I would start off by deleting every 2nd tree, thin the foliage by about 50%. I would also use that extra space to make it a little more diverse. If you have any bigger versions of those aspen trees, use them. It'll break up the colors from above and get rid of that trunk pattern you can see from the ground.

I recognize this VMF and imo, it would be a lot better if you added the town back in. If you just have a few houses and cabins in the wilderness, it may be atmospheric, but it's a lot less playable than if you had a whole RP town right in the center of the forest that's already been made for you. You still have lots of space for emptiness.

Those cliffs at the edges are bugging me a little bit. This isn't a big deal but they're cliche af, especially in a map with mostly flat terrain. For a map border I would either make it seamless into a 3d skybox, or replace the texture with pine cards.

Finally, I'm gonna assume you're making this map for GMod. Those vehicles (white truck & cargo train on the tracks) add a tiny bit of detail, but at the cost of completely prohibiting players from using their vehicles instead. The truck is unobtrusive at least, but that railway is completely unusable now. I would save the space and just delete them.

For what you can add, here's my experience. If you want to open the map up to the coastline, a lighthouse is always cool. A gas station is easy scene detailing. If your map is set in the USA (I know the vmf was probably set somewhere in finland but w/e, it could pass for Oregon/Washington easily), small trailer parks are inexpensive and easy to copy+paste from prefabs. Trails and access roads add explorability with just a few overlays/blend textures, maybe some fencing.
    If you want to head for a more industrial vibe - sawmills are a little expensive but pretty cool to explore, same with watermills if you include a river. Logging camps are very easy & cheap to make out of trunk models aligned in rows, with some construction equipment. Some kind of loading/shipping depot at the end of those traintracks would be a nice way to add realism. Again, this is just me but I would use Alan Wake as a reference, it has some great locations.

I can also send you the vmf for my old map if you want, there's not much in there besides what's in the picture, but I give you permission to reuse the buildings .

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #398
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    Personally I think the fog adds a bit to the ambiance., but sure, I'll decrease the opacity in my next update and well see if it was for the better or for the worse. Stay tuned :)
    That's just my personal opinion, I like designs where the atmosphere looks breathable :3
    I would understand the use of fogs in areas like the Bts of Portal2 or large caves or masking the skybox. Or simply for plain optimization.

If you want fog, I think something quite dark will help out with the atmosphere. ( almost black fog perhaps?)

If you want to use a dense fog. I would recommend you to use particles such as dust clouds etc so it help the atmosphere you are building. it will add some dynamism to the fog and will feel like there is a reason to exist other than being a decoration
    Then use some Env_lightglow. the light will looks it is like casting into the fog which give some pretty interesting result when used properly.
    Here's an example by our god of mapping Lemurr
    http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1...1-25_00005.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #399
    ForMod2013
    Dennab
    June 2009
    2,042 Posts
    I implemented 3d skybox into my map, at the moment it is very barren and lacks a lot of detail that I want to put in.

And the towers are nearing their final shape, still to do is inside area(s), the very top of the towers and detail on the outside.

I can just hear the various ambient noises going on in the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #400
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    9,180 Posts
    Gas station.
    Diner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events