1. Post #1721
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,963 Posts
    I want this because of reasons.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #1722
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,670 Posts
    Yeah, it's a pickup guard/cover or palmrest. Those are more of a style feature than anything else.
    the ones over pickups were supposed to shield the pickup from hum i think

3. Post #1723
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    the ones over pickups were supposed to shield the pickup from hum i think
    That seems to only be effective if you're facing the source of the hum though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1724

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/rickenbacker_33012jg.htm

Dream guitar, Jetglo Rickenbacker 330/12, only because of Marr.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #1725
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,963 Posts
    That neck looks so tiny when compared to the huge body.

6. Post #1726
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    ed sheeran's guitar sounds really nice, its the acoustic sound i want and it's really affordable.

7. Post #1727

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    ed sheeran's guitar sounds really nice, its the acoustic sound i want and it's really affordable.
    Sounds nice but it looks a bit like a cheap first guitar because of the smaller size.

8. Post #1728
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,670 Posts
    man some smaller acoustics can be really nice. i had a mate who played one of these for example

definitely more like a travel guitar than a kid's guitar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1729
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    its so strange to me that blink 182 are now exclusively using jaguars ever since tom left the band and matt skiba replaced him. matt got 2 jags custom made for playing in blink and now mark plays a jag bass.

they always seemed like a band that would play LPs or something like that but their songs sound so good on a jaguar or strat.

10. Post #1730
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,565 Posts
    I really love the looks of those Rickenbacher basses, but I don't play bass much and I don't like the looks of any of their six-strings. Does anyone know how difficult/expensive it would be (beyond the normal cost of the bass) to convert one of the basses to a guitar/baritone guitar? In theory, all you would need is to replace the nut and tuner layout on the headstock, replace the pickups with similar sized pickups for six strings, and replace the bridge setup. It would be a big conversion, but has anyone ever done it?

11. Post #1731
    November 2012
    1,067 Posts
    its so strange to me that blink 182 are now exclusively using jaguars ever since tom left the band and matt skiba replaced him. matt got 2 jags custom made for playing in blink and now mark plays a jag bass.

they always seemed like a band that would play LPs or something like that but their songs sound so good on a jaguar or strat.
    Though lot's of people will say otherwise, majority of the sound of the electric guitar (I'd say about 90%) comes from the pickups, so the shape of the guitar, wood and small stuff like the nut has little to no impact. Jaguars look slow and ugly though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1732

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    Jaguars look slow and ugly though.
    e x c u s e m e
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1733
    November 2012
    1,067 Posts
    e x c u s e m e
    Sorry! I meant jaguars are beautiful, pls don't hit me.

14. Post #1734
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,152 Posts
    I think they just need to be the right color. White jags with a brown pickguard look poopy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1735
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,670 Posts
    jags are cool because rowland s. howard played one and he's cool

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Firefox Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1736

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    I think they just need to be the right color. White jags with a brown pickguard look poopy

Spraying my Jag that colour soon, found Sherwood Green nitrocellulose spray.
    http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/sh...lacquer-400ml/

17. Post #1737
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,441 Posts

Tom had a really fucking nice fender stratocaster though, Ive heard its a really good signature guitar

18. Post #1738
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,152 Posts

Spraying my Jag that colour soon, found Sherwood Green nitrocellulose spray.
    http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/sh...lacquer-400ml/
    that is going to look awesome, not nearly enough green guitars in the world.

19. Post #1739
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    10,907 Posts
    Does anyone know anything about Samick guitars? I found one that my dad had hidden away in a closet and it seems to sound decent enough. I just know absolutely nothing about their reputation. Oh, and it's an acoustic.

20. Post #1740
    January 2010
    1,718 Posts

This is my dream SG, i'd really love to get one if i had the money
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Italy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #1741
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    surf green guitars are my life, my friends hate them.

i have these 2 guitars (cant be fucked taking pictures right now)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

22. Post #1742
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,928 Posts
    Three colors that really appeal to me on strats especially sonic blue, daphne blue, and seafoam green.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #1743
    November 2012
    1,067 Posts
    Does anyone know anything about Samick guitars? I found one that my dad had hidden away in a closet and it seems to sound decent enough. I just know absolutely nothing about their reputation. Oh, and it's an acoustic.
    Samick makes cheap copies of other guitars but from what I've gathered they are of pretty good quality. I've played a few acoustic and electric and they were all great low-end guitars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #1744
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,833 Posts
    Samick is an Asian company that manufactures most of the guitar brands that you can think of including stuff like Washburn, Epiphone, anything like that, the stuff that comes from the far east and is actually worth buying. Or if they don't manufacture it they own a significant share of the company.

Samick is a solid company and samick guitars are very good. I have a friend who owns several American made fenders and Gibsons and he owns plenty of asian guitars also, but he plays his samick most often.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1745
    BIG TITLE
    Dennab
    November 2009
    11,564 Posts
    Three colors that really appeal to me on strats especially sonic blue, daphne blue, and seafoam green.
    the strat i got also comes in daphne blue but they only had surf green.

26. Post #1746
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,512 Posts
    I want to build a guitar from an Epiphone LP donor for neck + hardware (just a cheap one, for fun). I want the LP style neck but I also like playing sitting down. This is the body I came up with:

I call it the Fenderson Paulmaster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #1747
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    10,907 Posts
    Samick makes cheap copies of other guitars but from what I've gathered they are of pretty good quality. I've played a few acoustic and electric and they were all great low-end guitars.
    Samick is an Asian company that manufactures most of the guitar brands that you can think of including stuff like Washburn, Epiphone, anything like that, the stuff that comes from the far east and is actually worth buying. Or if they don't manufacture it they own a significant share of the company.

Samick is a solid company and samick guitars are very good. I have a friend who owns several American made fenders and Gibsons and he owns plenty of asian guitars also, but he plays his samick most often.
    Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I started learning on my own a few months ago on it, and always wondered where it fell on the quality scale. The one I have has a very large body, and I personally really like the sound.

28. Post #1748
    Better Than Jacknife
    December 2009
    8,558 Posts
    I want to build a guitar from an Epiphone LP donor for neck + hardware (just a cheap one, for fun). I want the LP style neck but I also like playing sitting down. This is the body I came up with:

I call it the Fenderson Paulmaster
    I've been wanting to put a Les Paul neck on a fender. Is it impractical and dumb? yes. but I want to make one for reasons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

29. Post #1749
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,670 Posts
    most fender guitars are 25.5 inch scale length so you'd have to move where the bridge is to get the intonation right with a les paul neck

30. Post #1750

October 2011
    1,035 Posts
    my alternate picking is getting so much better over the course of the week

it turned from a complete slopfest into a 60% more tighter and articulate slopfest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #1751
    March 2009
    688 Posts
    Speaking of alternate picking, what are the best ways to practice it?
    I'm trying to completely weed out my down-picking habit.

32. Post #1752

October 2011
    1,035 Posts
    Speaking of alternate picking, what are the best ways to practice it?
    I'm trying to completely weed out my down-picking habit.
    Avoid hammerons as much as possible

Mix up your up and down strokes so you are not doing the same patterns over and over. Go up and down the neck, side to side, and instead of doing even clusters of notes up and down the neck, do odd ones like groups of 7. Work on switching strings as much as you can, and even try to skip two at once. Most important of them all, practise under a metronome at a relatively slow bpm. Once you feel like youve aced it at that speed, go faster.

But dont only just lock yourself on a metronome, try to play fast occasionally to see how you are doing and find the areas of the neck you are struggling at. Alternate picking is all about tension and release. You shoud feel like you are slicing through a stick of hot butter with a knife

Most important of all: if you are feeling unwanted tension and pain in your forearm after a few seconds of alternate picking fastly, it may be a problem with the technique your using, and you must change it immediately, or you may screw your arm up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1753

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    this is my favorite thread on this forum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #1754

October 2011
    1,035 Posts
    this is my favorite thread on this forum
    I can literally write a short book on technique despite still improving on guitar, but if we're talking about bass, expect harry potter length
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #1755

December 2014
    1,049 Posts
    As an actual question, how do you go about respraying a guitar?

36. Post #1756
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    796 Posts
    I just played through a Hughes & Kettner Triamp MkII for the first time and couldn't get a bad sound out of it. I absolutely love it. Is this what I have been missing for the past five years?

37. Post #1757
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,565 Posts
    As an actual question, how do you go about respraying a guitar?
    With guitars, you have to sand off the finished and paint and then apply the new paint and more finish. It's a simple process, but pretty time consuming and you need the right stuff to do it with (sandpaper is cheap but will take fucking forever to sand through finish on a guitar)

38. Post #1758
    WERGWERGWERGWERGWERG
    September 2008
    5,701 Posts
    You don't have to go back to bare wood either, use the current colour coat as a base. If you go through to the wood you'll need to seal it again. Don't go with anything super rough sandpaper wise for that exact reason. When spraying, masking up is your friend, make sure you mask everything up properly so you don't get overspray. And when you lacquer, make sure you leave time for it to harden properly as well.

39. Post #1759
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,152 Posts
    surf green guitars are my life, my friends hate them.

i have these 2 guitars (cant be fucked taking pictures right now)

if only epiphone had a LP in this color when i bought one

40. Post #1760
    January 2010
    1,718 Posts
    The only green Epi Lester available is the Bonamassa with Bigsby, it's not that kind of green though

But honestly, i think it's an ugly finish (that could look better with a cream pickguard maybe)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Italy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)