1. Post #1961
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts

More on this scene coming tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #1962
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,673 Posts

Finally came out with part 1! Click the image :)
    You mentioned that you have a Polycount thread, could you share a link please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Estonia Show Events

3. Post #1963
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    Right here!

Actually, I've had trouble with cubeupload's services being down and whenever that happens half my thread goes with it. Anyone have recommendations for image hosting that doesn't resize or compress or any of that bullshit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

4. Post #1964
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts

wippy wippy wip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

5. Post #1965
    May 2009
    200 Posts
    Hey i've released a rock pack on the Unity asset store. for those who are interested.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49827

These are photoscanned rocks, so it's pretty detailled and quite nice looking with a tesselation shader.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Chrome France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #1966
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts

Starting to not like anything in this scene, but not be able to tell exactly what's wrong. The right side building isn't textured.

edit: a lot of it isn't textured
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1967
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,401 Posts

Starting to not like anything in this scene, but not be able to tell exactly what's wrong. The right side building isn't textured.

Your lighting is very flat, for one. There's also very little dirtiness between and on objects. The assets themselves look like good quality, but you need to work on your scene a bit. Also consider doing some POST.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1968
    February 2009
    1,218 Posts

The scene is also really incoherent at this stage, theres this crazy hover bike, but nothing else around it in the world that implies any kind of future tech.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1969
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    In addition to what mr cake fingers said I don't really have a sense of where light is coming from in the most recent shot, and the roughness response of surfaces is pretty uniform right now. Having dirt, grime, and trash will also help a lot too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1970
    July 2011
    421 Posts
    how's this for a first try?

Ragn'ar, the Wannabe Smuggler

featuring horrendous rigging, weird geometry, seams n shit, etc. Oh well, gotta start somewhere

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

11. Post #1971
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,401 Posts
    You managed to create an identifiable character with very few polygons. Excellent work. Good pose, good proportions. If you learn the technical side of it you have it in you to be a great CG artist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

12. Post #1972
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    nice han solo pistol ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #1973
    May 2012
    27 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

14. Post #1974
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts
    In addition to what mr cake fingers said I don't really have a sense of where light is coming from in the most recent shot, and the roughness response of surfaces is pretty uniform right now. Having dirt, grime, and trash will also help a lot too.
    Your lighting is very flat, for one. There's also very little dirtiness between and on objects. The assets themselves look like good quality, but you need to work on your scene a bit. Also consider doing some POST.
    The scene is also really incoherent at this stage, theres this crazy hover bike, but nothing else around it in the world that implies any kind of future tech.
    Thanks guys, trying to get them looking as good as possible, still have another 6 months on the scene but we wanna start off on a strong point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #1975
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    Good luck! That seems like a great amount of time, definitely enough to polish it to pro level. I'd really recommend doing paintovers of renders, especially in greyscale. I'm shit at drawing/painting but it's invaluable cause I can do 10 paintovers to just get ideas out there and then go back to block out models, render, iterate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #1976
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts

Man, I am loving this Hard-ops addon

17. Post #1977
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    So I'm not sure if my other post on that fits mapping only so I'm going to ask here as well.
    Is there any 3d program where you can create cubes and other objects the same way like in the hammer editor? This video should explain why I need something like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events

18. Post #1978
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,584 Posts
    What program is that? At least 3DS Max can snap to grid pretty similarly like Hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1979
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    it's c4d, I tried 3ds max once but there's so much stuff shown at once it was super confusing for a beginner like me. Then again that was 3 years ago.

Edited:

Also I should mention that it'd love to be able and draw a selection like in hammer and when I actually want to create a cube I press enter. That would be amazing but I'm guessing that once the source2 editor officially comes out it will have similar features so maybe all I should do right now is wait.

20. Post #1980
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,976 Posts
    First of all, I recommend you to not judge 3D programs purely by their cube drawing abilities.
    And second of all, 3DS Max is pretty similar:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #1981
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,865 Posts
    Try SketchUp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #1982
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    First of all, I recommend you to not judge 3D programs purely by their cube drawing abilities.

I'm not judging it because of that, to be fair c4d was probably the best choice to start learning basic 3d editing, but for the current uses that I have it's not really doing what I'd like to do with it, or I just can't find the correct tool. Guess I'll have to get 3ds from the school servers now. Thanks for showing that feature.

23. Post #1983
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,976 Posts
    I'm not judging it because of that, to be fair c4d was probably the best choice to start learning basic 3d editing, but for the current uses that I have it's not really doing what I'd like to do with it, or I just can't find the correct tool. Guess I'll have to get 3ds from the school servers now. Thanks for showing that feature.
    protip: press S to toggle snapping
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events

24. Post #1984
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    Try SketchUp.
    I'll try that out if after I've played around in 3ds.

25. Post #1985
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,735 Posts

Or just use the wall tool. It also works with the built in doors and windows so it gets holes carved automatically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

26. Post #1986
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts

SPHERE WHEEL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #1987
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts

Adding to this and kind of responding to the bit in the other video in C4D, it's also important to manipulate objects in a way that you're working with the geometry and not mucking with its scale values (which is what it seemed like was being done in C4D) because it can really screw with when you eventually bring the mesh into an engine. Especially when you're working with rigged meshes or things with a parented hierarchy.

28. Post #1988
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    RRROOOOOOBOOTOOTOTTTT LEEEEEEEEEEEEG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #1989
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    Adding to this and kind of responding to the bit in the other video in C4D, it's also important to manipulate objects in a way that you're working with the geometry and not mucking with its scale values (which is what it seemed like was being done in C4D) because it can really screw with when you eventually bring the mesh into an engine. Especially when you're working with rigged meshes or things with a parented hierarchy.
    I could do it that way, editing each polygon one by one. It will work, but its going to take way longer and for something that I'm probably going to change in the future I'd rather not waste too much time on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Germany Show Events

30. Post #1990
    March 2014
    3,531 Posts
    Quixel 2.0 is out.

http://quixel.se/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #1991
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    @Plaster It doesn't take way longer. Depending on how primitives are created you don't have to do manual work like that. Max lets you define the l/w/h for a cube when you make it. Most software has that kind of control. To fix the scale problem you will have to reset the transforms of the object at some point anyways, so it's better to only do it when it's really the best method for manipulating an object.

But we are talking about such a basic level of 3D work here. Mucking with primitives or meshes at the object level is ultimately going to be a very marginal amount of the time put into modeling.

32. Post #1992
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,830 Posts
    Does it still make Photoshop tank in RAM usage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #1993
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,642 Posts
    I tried Quixel 2.0 I've hoped that they would have make it faster than the last version. It still feels really sluggish and slow in my opinion. I've gotten too used to Substance painter.

Kind of feel that they shot themselves in the foot by still relying on Photoshop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events

34. Post #1994
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    I tried Quixel 2.0 I've hoped that they would have make it faster than the last version. It still feels really sluggish and slow in my opinion. I've gotten too used to Substance painter.

Kind of feel that they shot themselves in the foot by still being a relying on Photoshop.
    While it does seem counter-intuitive to use Photoshop, I like the idea of still being able to use Photoshop's native tools and brushes. Still, I'll most probably buy substance painter when it comes to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #1995
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    I was having this discussion with my friend earlier today.

While I understand the benefits of Quixel, especially for production, it's just a more cumbersome Substance with less features and versatility. You could have two or three artists producing Substances for others using Painter, giving you total control along the entire pipeline for every material in your game/film. And since it's procedural, you can tweak seed values to get infinite variety from one Substance. Premade content falls so short of this.

Plus I don't buy into the scan based nonsense. It's currently still an open problem in the scientific CG community of capturing BSDF/BRDFs from real world objects and then rendering (even efficiently storing) them. Current PBR can't actually represent many aspects of objects and light anyways, so their scanned data can only ever be a very coarse approximation to what the true world shows and will never render correctly. It doesn't answer any problem for artists (other than cutting out work) because they've still got to fudge things here and there. In the end all you're trying to do is make good art. So really they just are trying to provide a bunch of random presets that you can use to cut out the work of material creation, but conflate them as being better "cause scanned!" This isn't all that compelling if you can't do it right.

They could just as easily be making all the Megascans content by hand, which exactly what Allegorithmic already has had for a while (and it's now crowd sourced!), and nobody would know the difference. They've also pushed it back continuously for a few years now making it even less worthwhile of an endeavor for them to pursue.

Working at resolutions greater than 4k is cool and all but since it's only useful for films, it could easily be implemented in a pipeline using Substance where you combine lower resolution maps in the shader. This will also naturally be more memory conservative so not being able to paint materials in 8k is a non-issue in practice.

36. Post #1996
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,667 Posts
    Finally got 3ds max and while playing around testing stuff it's perfect for what I need right now, but why does this happen?

Why does the plane get bigger when rendered, or is the default render not good?

37. Post #1997
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,638 Posts
    can you upload the max file?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1998
    March 2014
    3,531 Posts
    I honestly regret buying Quixel. It's been helpful in some aspects, but for the most part it's been a pain in the ass and a repeating disappointment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

39. Post #1999
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    119 Posts
    Finally got 3ds max and while playing around testing stuff it's perfect for what I need right now, but why does this happen?

Why does the plane get bigger when rendered, or is the default render not good?
    Check the render multipliers:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

40. Post #2000
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,405 Posts
    LEGVISION

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)