1. Post #1
    dai

February 2006
    31,340 Posts
    Consolidation after autolock came back

Post your 3D work, WIP or finished, beginner or expert

Post your models, textures, renders, sculpts etc and of course questions here.

NEW AND UPDATED Useful Links
    Guide to PBR material creation
    Guide to Arch Vis in UE4

Older useful links and such
    Steam Community Page - is this active?
    Previous Thread
    Beretta 9000 video tutorial - 4 hours long video tutorial on plane modelling a pistol in 3ds Max.
    The Polycount-wiki - a catalog of information aimed at artists in game development, whether professional, student or hobbyist.
    Texturing tutorial - learn about observation, structure, shape and frequency. Some text and a ~60 minutes long video.
    How u model dem shapes? - hands-on mini-tuts for mechanical sub-division modeling.
    Modeling Joan of Arc - tutorial on modeling, unwrapping, texturing and skinning a character in Max and Photoshop.
    A Comprehensive Look at Hard Surface Modeling for Video Games - video tut on high/low poly modeling, unwrapping, and baking.
    - PM me if you know of a tutorial or whatever that is worthy of this list.

[banner later]

some recent stuff from me-

current work related project, in UE4. 10m polygons to whittle down to something manageable

current pet project recreating something so I can start fiddling with some different hard modeling techniques (forehead plate was refined to test but I want to block out the full model first). Also considering moving to Autodesk Inventor Fusion 360 to model it for the sake of learning that

a ring render for a potential jewelry client

and a hospital proof-of-concept for another potential client, played with lighting for the sake of experimenting

feel free to repost some stuff from the end of the last thread to get this kickstarted, you're in view of the public now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,776 Posts
    Great. We are thrown into the goddamn GD section. Wonderful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,769 Posts
    Wow wow woow, what is going on.
    No art section anymore?

Well I guess since we're in GD now, and this is the first page gotta make it look nice with pictures so I'll post some of my stuff here again.

Also bonus. Stuff I've done for living.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Ask me about
    the stick
    up my ass
    April 2010
    11,748 Posts
    Might inadvertently get some new people interested in making 3d models though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,443 Posts
    Allegorithmic put out the first volume of their PBR guide the other day, forgot to post it. It's the first volume and goes over PBR theory. Was a pretty good lunch time read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    dai

February 2006
    31,340 Posts
    random people are gonna see your work and maybe be impressed because they can't do that. The thread is still a showcase, now it's just a bigger invitation for people to jump in. Dumb posts are still bannable

Allegorithmic put out the first volume of their PBR guide the other day, forgot to post it. It's the first volume and goes over PBR theory. Was a pretty good lunch time read.
    adding to OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,709 Posts

great now i can share my highest quality work for page 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    6,754 Posts

ok new thread then, here's some recent work so i can feel like im important
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,433 Posts
    Would this thread be better put in the modeling section? at least we can attempt to help with the organization since there is a forum dedicated to same thing (and yea I understand that one is more game related rather than renders)

But none the less, content:

Did some practice with Substance Designer over the weekend.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,686 Posts
    Welp, I didn't even get any critique cause I posted at the end of the last thread.

I'll just re-post it as well as some older things I've done. (My apologies in advance for all of the images)

I pretty much just finished those ammo boxes, and I've never presented models on a sheet like that before, so any criticism on the layout and such would be great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    man, you didn;t need a normal map for any of those bullet boxes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,686 Posts
    I thought the same when making them since they barely add a thing apart from a few bumps and creases. I'll change that now, thanks.

EDIT: Dear god I feel so inferior to everyone on this page.

I noticed that some of you have been doing the metal/roughness workflow in comparison to the usual D/N/S/G. Could any of you sum up the differences when it comes to both workflows and how they differ when it comes to porting them into engines like UE4 or Unity?
    Furthermore, any tips or advice on moving over to such techniques? Sorry if I'm asking too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,906 Posts

ok new thread then, here's some recent work so i can feel like im important
    Your material definition is "ooomf".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,433 Posts
    Here's a good technique I've been using for a few years now to sharpen edges without the need for a normal map

Sorry if it's a bit rushed, made it really quick

I also have a script that makes it much faster than having to do it through edit normals. I wanted to show how to do it manually to get the idea but this script does it in a flash

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=41

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    924 Posts
    Creationism corner is gone D:! So all the music stuffs and all the art stuff is gone but i'm so glad digital 3d art is still here.

What went on while I was gone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    8,817 Posts
    A Comprehensive Look at Hard Surface Modeling for Video Games - video tut on high/low poly modeling, unwrapping, and baking.
    Video not found.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,745 Posts
    I worked with 3D for about 3 years and I never got as good as any of the people who post in this thread. It's pretty impressive I think.

Honestly a lot of things I don't know about 3D modeling. Feels like I wasted 3 years learning it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,784 Posts
    This was one of the first threads I was trying to look out for and have only just found it. This is probably one of the few threads I check the second there is a new post in but only post in a couple times a year myself. The main thing that is going to be interesting about the consolidation is the potential increase in activity in these types of threads now they are in full view.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,302 Posts
    Who was the guy who did the SSS Dildo animation?

Just seen this YouTube post and I don't think it's the original.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,776 Posts
    Yeah. Still, at-least the thread is still going and that is what counts.

I'll throw some content in I guess.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 16Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,859 Posts
    Tedious stuff or what?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,686 Posts

paul-simon (simon-paul?) did that, his youtube was 'logitech' followed by a few numbers

23. Post #23
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,303 Posts
    Fun fact the guy who made this tutorial is a long time Facepunch member.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,686 Posts
    Fun fact the guy who made this tutorial is an long time Facepunch member.
    I really need to dig up that tutorial and finish it, though I always struggled when it came to baking the high and low poly meshes.

And I was unaware millenia actually had an account here, that's pretty cool. Shame he doesn't post here anymore.

25. Post #25
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    8,139 Posts
    random people are gonna see your work and maybe be impressed because they can't do that.
    Like me, though I've been watching the thread long before today. I've got no real interest in doing 3D art myself, but it's always fun to see the awesome stuff you guys make.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Haven't done much modelling over the past 3 months so now everythings taking a really long time to do.

I wish my brain could like just have the shortcuts hardwired into my memory it'd be fantastic for my life
    Anyway, I'm working on this bust from this concept I found on google, this is about 8 hours progress :I

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    6,064 Posts

Do you model from plans or can you model based on just images. Also, does developing drawing skills help?
    Only asking because I'm having issues making this car based on images:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,337 Posts

Ehrmagherd! general public can view us!
    Here's proof that I did some 3D a long time ago..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 10Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    15,228 Posts

It was I, the penile architect.
    I'll have that video taken down shortly, worry not.

And since we're still on page one and showing off to people, I might as well:

I also sometimes render still pictures (all clickable for full res):

I actually can't really do shit within 3D except for rendering and simulating stuff, so my workflow is probably completely backwards.
    If my computer is like "there's 2 fucking weeks left to render this thing" I don't go all "oh dear lets optimize", I go "ok see you in two weeks computer".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,244 Posts
    Every time I see this I start craving thai iced tea with boba.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    626 Posts

-snip-
    How long have you been modelling and the like? I love the detail in those, fantastic stuff!

Edited:

I lose it every single time I see that long one near the end fall
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,776 Posts
    Do you model from plans or can you model based on just images. Also, does developing drawing skills help?
    Only asking because I'm having issues making this car based on images:
    I CAN do both blueprint and modelling by eye or images.

You should always do blueprint if possible. Backed up by reference images to make sure you get all the details that blueprints might miss out. After doing Blueprints for awhile you soon are able to model purely by eye. At-least I seem to have attained that trait. So I'm sure anyone else can too.

Drawing can help quite a lot. Although I'm...not very good at drawing.

Excuse the first two and the shitty webcam quality...

As you can see my drawing isn't *Great* But it does get the job done.

As a sidenote. The Brooklyn Bridge was modelled purely by eye, via google maps. As was the Trailer hitch and Hendricks axle system.

Along with this Audi

And this Z28 Camaro

I have many more. But the renders are sat on my desktop and not my puush account.

I can throw some more content in if people wish. I just didn't wanna make the page scroll for eternity.

How long have you been modelling and the like? I love the detail in those, fantastic stuff!
    Thanks!

I started when I was 13 if I recall. (Although at that point I was just randomly throwing box shapes around and making super simple block cars and stuff) By the time I got to around 15-16 I was able to grasp the program a bit more and it's functions. And here I am on the verge of 23.

So what...10 years, 11 at a push.

Means a lot though thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,418 Posts
    My vastly inferior addition to the new thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2013
    1,346 Posts

I tried sculpting today

what hath i brought into existance

36. Post #36
    April 2013
    935 Posts

I tried sculpting today

what hath i brought into existance
    I see the new tremors movie is coming along nicely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    July 2013
    1,346 Posts
    I see the new tremors movie is coming along nicely.
    oh shet it does look like a graboid doesn't it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    5,416 Posts

I really like substance painter, just wish I could fucking take full screenshots with it without having to reset the UI every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39

June 2014
    552 Posts
    "CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE"
    What is that shit? I tried using GPU for Rendering scene, I selected OpenCL and then I get that shit written in Vray Console, oh yeah and a crash on top of that.
    GTX 970 btw.

How do I fix that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    16,167 Posts
    Never used Vray (take with grain of salt) but IIRC only simplified features for Vray are supported in Open CL, so if you're using advanced shaders like SSS or Volumetrics it might be failing the build because those shaders are unsupported by the opencl render kernel.

edit:

Given that you have a 970. In that case I wonder if it's just an issue with the GTX 970 not being supported yet. Not sure how invested Vray is in their Opencl capabilities. (Blender) Cycles only recently got around to supporting the GTX 970 properly, so I guess it could just be that your card is too new and isn't supported by the engine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events