1. Post #1
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    NO FUCKING PHONE WARS - DEBATE THE RELATIVE MERITS OF SAMSUNG/HTC/APPLE/MICROSOFT ETC YES BUT DON'T SHIT UP THE THREAD. THEY'RE JUST PHONES

News and Reviews

Android Police - A personal favourite. Tons of app reviews, updates and recommendations.

Droid Life

Android Authority

Cnetís Android Atlas

Engadget

iVerge - Lots of exclusives and fancy looking videos.

Anandtech - Less updates, but their editorials for phones are just as amazing and exhaustive as their PC hardware reviews.

Forums and Misc. Bullshit

Google Play Store - Roll up, roll up, get yer apps here!

Android Forums at XDA - Terrible community but the most exhaustive custom ROM community on the planet.

RootzWiki

Android Forums

Android Design Guidelines (#Holo #Yolo)

Pick the Perfect ROM for Your Device.

http://www.reddit.com/r/android - Android subreddit on Reddit

http://www.android.com/ - more info on Android

Quick tips:

1. If you want custom ROMs, head over to your device's subforum on XDA, most every phone has a good AOSP ROM you can download. Yes, even the sk17a!

2. Rooting your phone is probably unnecessary for most users. Android is pretty open even on phones like the sk17a - rooting simply gives you greater command over the OS for certain power-usery tasks. It's also handy for custom ROMs, which is why they're rooted out of the box (or whatever you get your ROMs in these days, idk)

3. Custom ROM wise, options that are good for starters include Cyanogenmod (which is available on most every phone and on which tons of derivatives are based), AOKP (like CM, but with a ton more config options), MIUI (surprisingly decent chinese iphone ripoff) and Paranoid Android (allows you to change your UI between tablet and phone layouts per app, it's totes amaze). Many of these are even available on the sk17a!

4. You don't need a task manager. Android kills processes automatically (even on the sk17a!) and considering the ridiculous amount of RAM flagship phones have these days it probably doesn't need to do even that. If you do feel your phone slowing, you can just use android's built in task manager that dismisses stuff nice and cleanly if you ever need that function.

5. You don't need an antivirus. Any app that wants to execute something malicious will a) have to notify you that it's downloading, which you'll have to accept and b) need you to manually install it. All you need to remember is not to download random APKs and then you don't need the hassle of something running 24/7 scanning your phone (which phones like the sk17a could do without!) and sapping your precious battery.

6. Android phones work best with a google account. You probably have one already if you use gmail or youtube and they come with numerous benefits like app, contact and calendar syncing, easy payment and auto sign in to google services. It's so useful not to have to back up your contacts every time you change phones/wipe your data. It also comes in handy if you lose your phone, like you should if you own an sk17a.

7. How much stuff do you carry around on your phone? You probably don't need a microSD card if you don't carry around the whole of The Ascent of Man in 4k, and you shouldn't let removable storage sway your purchase from a beautiful sleek HTC One to a horrible plasticky Galaxy S4 unless you habitually use more than the ~32/64GB that flagship phones these days offer. Old phones like the SK17a have this option yes, but that's because you NEED extra storage on those flash-starved devices.

8. The sk17a is the worst thing ever made by a human. Except for the bagpipes.

9. The sk17a will never, ever get Android 5.0, so it goes home and dies in a fire.

10. A lot of people here have the OnePlus One, it's a pretty good phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    dammit, i was halfway through making an android thread myself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    dammit, i was halfway through making an android thread myself
    Good news is..

(User was banned for this post ("Leaking GMF" - SteveUK))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 16Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

June 2014
    552 Posts
    That might explain why half of Hardware section just went grey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,299 Posts
    Nexus 6 has sick looking bumpers available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221659093063

I wish there was a Nexus 5 version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    You're going to regret this title when you're still using this thread at Android 12.2 after autolock is inevitably turned off again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts

they look like toys

Edited:

where do i link my existing k'nex to this bumper case please help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,590 Posts

right outta TRON
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    5,324 Posts
    Awesome banner!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    4,770 Posts
    I sideloaded the 5.0.1 ota update on my Nexus 7 2013 yesterday and I am really liking it so far. Maybe one day my S5 will get Lollipop too!

This was also my first time doing anything behind the scenes-ish with Android. I really like having the freedom to do this kind of stuff with relative ease.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #11
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    You're going to regret this title when you're still using this thread at Android 12.2 after autolock is inevitably turned off again.
    I'll ask mods for title change or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

12. Post #12
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    5,324 Posts
    Just going to leave DuARTe here for good luck:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,982 Posts
    Where's my Note 4 Lollipop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14

July 2012
    1,425 Posts
    Yeah I bought a Note 4 too but no Lollipop yet.
    Flaghship my ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    5,705 Posts
    Wasn't the G3 supposed to get Lollipop by the end of 2014? :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,870 Posts
    Wasn't the G3 supposed to get Lollipop by the end of 2014? :(
    Yes. It has in some countries though.

17. Post #17
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    Speaking of Lollipop updates, the OnePlus One is supposedly getting its OTA in early February. Let's see how that goes..

18. Post #18
    I'm not very clever.
    September 2012
    1,285 Posts
    https://twitter.com/moversi/status/555043345987145730
    One M8s are finally starting to see Lollipop rolling out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,548 Posts
    Moto where is my Lollipop. You promised you'd be fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,046 Posts
    Join our    toxic    hangouts chat as well and    s   chill with us! PM me your gmail/G+ account name
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    October 2006
    596 Posts
    Not just Moto but Google themselves are slow, alot of Nexus 5s still don't have Lollipop.
    Probably waiting to fix the memory leaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

22. Post #22
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    Join our    toxic    hangouts chat as well and    s   chill with us! PM me your gmail/G+ account name
    We talk about Android and phones and shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    21,951 Posts
    has anyone started thinking that there really isn't that much of a difference between ios and android anymore.

My US LG G3 (not updated officially to 5.0 yet) is awesome and all but its starting to feel exactly like the same every phone i get. the last major update i actually use every day is NFC and now apple has it. sure android has custom roms and all that but that will void my warranty and i can potentially break my phone doing it (almost killed my previous phone doing it, the Galaxy note 2.)

and even when 5.0 comes out, i still won't get the best version of it because it will be tied to The manufacturer/vendor's stupid shit theme and icons.

i also keep hearing how iOS has a actual good game market and stuff too.

only thing really holding me back from apple anymore is my google music all access and the apple price tag.

edit:

oh it is on ios too

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...691797987?mt=8

so honestly i have no reason except for price tag and losing all my humble bundle games (that i never really play anyway).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Internet Detective in BRICK (HBIED certified)
    May 2007
    13,073 Posts
    has anyone started thinking that there really isn't that much of a difference between ios and android anymore.

My US LG G3 (not updated officially to 5.0 yet) is awesome and all but its starting to feel exactly like the same every phone i get. the last major update i actually use every day is NFC and now apple has it. sure android has custom roms and all that but that will void my warranty and i can potentially break my phone doing it (almost killed my previous phone doing it, the Galaxy note 2.)

and even when 5.0 comes out, i still won't get the best version of it because it will be tied to The manufacturer/vendor's stupid shit theme and icons.

only thing really holding me back from apple anymore is my google music all access and the apple price tag.

edit:

oh it is on ios too

so honestly i have no reason except for price tag and losing all my humble bundle games (that i never really play anyway).
    I just switched from iPhone to a Galaxy Alpha, and Android doesn't hold your hand as much. If you're a power user, I'd stay on Android.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    3,411 Posts
    man i put a 5.0 rom on my g3 and now my battery life averages about 2 hours sot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

26. Post #26
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    There is still a difference. iOS is still smoother than Android because it does some image hackery to make it look smooth while Android renders everything more.

If you want a smartphone that works with solid apps, stability and camera, go get an iPhone.

If you want a smartphone with more variety in terms of hardware and software, go get an Android.

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    pure MotoX phones apparently have it, I'm waiting on AT&T

which means I'll probably get it when Marshmallow or Nougat comes out

28. Post #28
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    1,123 Posts

edit:

oh it is on ios too

Android is go big or go home. iOS is fine for most people.

29. Post #29
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    So who here still uses MMS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,851 Posts
    Whatsapp/Telegram/Hangouts here. MMS are way too expensive here in Germany, so why not use something that is free* to use.

*exception of whatsapps yearly fee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,970 Posts
    *exception of whatsapps yearly fee
    I have never paid for WhatsApp yet, whenever it bugs me about renewing, I keep on pressing the Later button and it extends the subscription. It's been like this for many months now and I'd imagine Facebook maybe dropping the subscription but 11 months into the purchase, it looks like it's still around.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,851 Posts
    I only had to pay once in my 3 years of using the app and I still try to get people into using either Telegram or Hangouts, preferably Hangouts, so I can scrap at least one messenger. But always one IOs or Windows Phone user refuses and my friends circle ends up in 2 nearly identical group chats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

33. Post #33
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    10,249 Posts
    MMS is like 50c here, and I don't use it enough to even worry about it (Pretty much everyone but my family uses hangouts)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    So who here still uses MMS?
    Me and everyone I know still subscribe to the idea that SMS/MMS is superior because it's built into the phone and free (we all have unlimited text and we don't use MMS enough to impact our data plans really). We don't really do that "group chat" thing ever. Some of us do Snapchat, but that's about it.

I do have a group of Internet friends that I use Telegram with though.

Edited:

part of that could be that so many people I'm friends with are iPhone users and they don't understand that iMessage and texting aren't the same shit so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

35. Post #35
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    8,749 Posts
    in a few "group texts" with people of different carriers and devices

mms is an unliked but basically necessary evil

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    Fuck OFF, is there a single fucking android phone coming out in 2015 that isn't a tablet? M9, 5.5 inches. S6, 5.5 inches. Z4, 5.2 inches. G4, 5.5 inches. Oneplus One, 5.5 inches, not that I'll ever own one with the random 24 hour purchase window and complete incompatibility with Sprint. Moto X, 5.2 inches.

I don't. Want. A phablet. I have fucking normal, not-lumberjack hands and my jeans are fitted correctly.

Edited:

I still have the S2 and I've been waiting for fucking ages. Figured the S6 in March would have two versions, normal and weirdo, but doesn't look to be the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    Xiaomi note 2 should be announced proper tomorrow

It's the phone I am personally waiting for

Edited:

Although now there's rumors it's curved, if that turns out to be true, I am just saving buying a Xiaomi Note 4G.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    The Z4 Compact sounds interesting. I've already been waiting so long tho...

Also not Sprint.

39. Post #39
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    8,475 Posts
    Me and everyone I know still subscribe to the idea that SMS/MMS is superior because it's built into the phone and free (we all have unlimited text and we don't use MMS enough to impact our data plans really). We don't really do that "group chat" thing ever. Some of us do Snapchat, but that's about it.

I do have a group of Internet friends that I use Telegram with though.

Edited:

part of that could be that so many people I'm friends with are iPhone users and they don't understand that iMessage and texting aren't the same shit so
    People here almost exclusively use Whatsapp for chatting.
    SMS are seen very rarely. The only SMS I get are spam.
    and MMS is practically dead here, since they still cost 5$ per picture on most carriers (Still go over phone line and are not covered by DataPlan).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Switzerland Show Events

40. Post #40
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    5,324 Posts
    People here almost exclusively use Whatsapp for chatting.
    SMS are seen very rarely. The only SMS I get are spam.
    and MMS is practically dead here, since they still cost 5$ per picture on most carriers (Still go over phone line and are not covered by DataPlan).
    Same in the UK. No one I know uses sms or mms for anything, it's all whatsapp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events